The Official UCHICAGO Waitlist Party.

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Anhimal

Re: The Official UCHICAGO Waitlist Party.

Postby Anhimal » Fri May 01, 2009 5:41 pm

curiouser wrote:
Anhimal wrote:No word for shizzle. I thought I was dead to Chicago lol.

okay, now I really want to cry. still complete...

I know this isn't going to make you feel better but this is the LAST school I'm waiting for before I can officially say my cycle is complete!!!! I hope it's your last one as well.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Fri May 01, 2009 5:42 pm

Anhimal wrote:
curiouser wrote:

I know this isn't going to make you feel better but this is the LAST school I'm waiting for before I can officially say my cycle is complete!!!! I hope it's your last one as well.

When did you go complete? That sure has taken awhile...

Anhimal

Postby Anhimal » Fri May 01, 2009 6:23 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Anhimal wrote:
curiouser wrote:

When did you go complete? That sure has taken awhile...

Complete early feb. Looking at LSN, I don't think ANY of us have decisions yet so I'm not surprised if some people are still at complete.

monochrome

Postby monochrome » Sat May 02, 2009 3:47 pm

what e-mail address should we send LOCIs to? just admissions@law.uchicago.edu? i'm assuming the "essays@" e-mail address is only for writing samples.

MissMaroon

Postby MissMaroon » Mon May 04, 2009 9:37 am

A little story for everyone:

Yesterday afternoon, I received a phone call from a 773 number (the other digits were clearly U of C #s too). I literally stopped breathing.

"Hello. May I speak with ________ _________?"
"Yes, this is ________.................."
"Great! I'm calling from the Senior Class Gift Committee to see if you're still interested in donating!"

.... FML.

When I saw that number on my caller ID, I got chills. I was still shaking 15 minutes after the call ended. IF I do actually ever get THE CALL, I worry that I might have a heart attack. Would Chicago consider me unfit for the stresses of the lawyerly life if I peace out while Ann Perry's congratulating me? :?
Last edited by MissMaroon on Mon May 04, 2009 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lilybbloom

Postby lilybbloom » Mon May 04, 2009 11:58 am

Man I'm so upset... I saw that MissMaroon had been told to email, not snail mail, her LOCI, so I emailed the office to see if the LOCI I snail-mailed in late March had ever made it to my file... the lady replied today and said that their entire process is paperless (argh) and that in any case that letter was read while I was on *hold*, so now that I'm on the *waitlist* (she added the emphasis) I would need to send a new letter, by email.

So do I just send the exact same letter I had written, only with the date changed? I don't have any new info to add, but I want them to know how badly I want in!

MissMaroon

Postby MissMaroon » Mon May 04, 2009 12:09 pm

lilybbloom wrote:Man I'm so upset... I saw that MissMaroon had been told to email, not snail mail, her LOCI, so I emailed the office to see if the LOCI I snail-mailed in late March had ever made it to my file... the lady replied today and said that their entire process is paperless (argh) and that in any case that letter was read while I was on *hold*, so now that I'm on the *waitlist* (she added the emphasis) I would need to send a new letter, by email.

So do I just send the exact same letter I had written, only with the date changed? I don't have any new info to add, but I want them to know how badly I want in!

I'd write a completely new one. Someone had to have read your letter back in March, so don't risk letting them think you're not willing to put in the maximum effort to show interest.

MissMaroon

Postby MissMaroon » Mon May 04, 2009 12:14 pm

By the way, the paperless thing concerns me, now that I think about it. They're not going to reconsider the entire waitlist at once (if ever), so if we aren't ranked or grouped in anyway, how do they decide whose files to turn to once they realize they have more seats available? My fear is that they look at LSATs/GPAs they need. Or maybe geographic/demographic data? What if your writing sample or LOCI could make all the difference, but they never get to see them because they don't have a specific motivation to open your file again?

I might just be overanalyzing the situation or not thinking clearly about it. Thoughts?

lilybbloom

Postby lilybbloom » Mon May 04, 2009 12:25 pm

I agree- I hate the whole paperless thing- I like the idea of someone physically opening my folder and reading the contents- if it's all electronic, it's quite possible that they will just sort according to GPA/LSAT.

So the problem is for me that aside from the March 25th LOCI I sent by snail mail, I also sent a *very* short e-mail 5 days ago reiterating my interest. But I assumed they would read it in conjunction with the long LOCI. So now I feel stupid sending *another* email. UGH. Why do they insist on torturing us?

caoyun

Postby caoyun » Mon May 04, 2009 3:57 pm

In off the waitlist via phone call!

animalcrkrs

Postby animalcrkrs » Mon May 04, 2009 3:59 pm

Awesome congrats!!!!!
There is hope for the waitlisted!!!!

osu09

Postby osu09 » Mon May 04, 2009 4:01 pm

Congrats and I think I speak for everyone when I say we are truly happy for you and green with envy!

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Mon May 04, 2009 4:03 pm

caoyun wrote:In off the waitlist via phone call!

Congrats, nice to see a Northern New Jersey represent

caoyun

Postby caoyun » Mon May 04, 2009 4:05 pm

Very random and unexpected. They're mailing out my admitted students packet tomorrow and I'll be receiving my financial aid package by the end of the week. I have to accept by May 11. So not a whole lot of time. I'm really not sure what I'm going to do. I guess a lot of it depends on the financial aid package...

monochrome

Postby monochrome » Mon May 04, 2009 4:05 pm

congratulations caoyun!

whoknows

Postby whoknows » Mon May 04, 2009 4:11 pm

CONGRATS!! that's fantastic news. :D

soo frustrated to still be on hold.....maybe they'll get to me soon... :roll:

caoyun

Postby caoyun » Mon May 04, 2009 4:12 pm

Stats, for those interested, are 3.8/165/174 (for Chicago). Fee waiver. Applied end of December. Went complete very end of January. Waitlisted 4/6.

MissMaroon

Postby MissMaroon » Mon May 04, 2009 4:23 pm

caoyun wrote:In off the waitlist via phone call!

AHHHHHHHH congratulations!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Mon May 04, 2009 4:35 pm

Hey question for you guys who got in off the waitlist (or anyone else who knows):

During the phone call, do they ask you to commit, or merely inform you that you've been accepted straight away.

That is, does the conversation go like: "Will you attend" "Yes" "Ok, then you're accepted." Or is it more like: "You're accepted" "Thanks."

Reason I ask is I just got a voicemail from Chicago (optimistically assuming this is what it's about), but I haven't 100% made up my mind between the school at which I'm currently deposited and Chicago. If they'll put me on the spot for a commitment, I'd rather delay calling back until tomorrow to give myself a little more time to think.

Btw, in my LOCI I merely said I was "still very interested" rather than that "I would attend," which I think is an accurate and honest assessment of my attitude.

waitingforanswers

Postby waitingforanswers » Mon May 04, 2009 4:41 pm

Wow, I feel like such an idiot for not sending in a LOCI. I thought that I had shown interest in the hold supplements. I wish my phone would ring....

MissMaroon

Postby MissMaroon » Mon May 04, 2009 4:42 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:Hey question for you guys who got in off the waitlist (or anyone else who knows):

During the phone call, do they ask you to commit, or merely inform you that you've been accepted straight away.

That is, does the conversation go like: "Will you attend" "Yes" "Ok, then you're accepted." Or is it more like: "You're accepted" "Thanks."

Reason I ask is I just got a voicemail from Chicago (optimistically assuming this is what it's about), but I haven't 100% made up my mind between the school at which I'm currently deposited and Chicago. If they'll put me on the spot for a commitment, I'd rather delay calling back until tomorrow to give myself a little more time to think.

Btw, in my LOCI I merely said I was "still very interested" rather than that "I would attend," which I think is an accurate and honest assessment of my attitude.

...You're actually considering not calling back the love of my life??? Oh my goodness.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Mon May 04, 2009 4:48 pm

MissMaroon wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:Hey question for you guys who got in off the waitlist (or anyone else who knows):

...You're actually considering not calling back the love of my life??? Oh my goodness.

Well I'd definitely call them back either way. I just want to know if I should be ready to make an immediate commitment when I do so.

southernlady

Postby southernlady » Mon May 04, 2009 4:51 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:Well I'd definitely call them back either way. I just want to know if I should be ready to make an immediate commitment when I do so.

The other poster said they gave him/her until May 11th to decide, so I think you are in the clear for calling them back.

Deesh

Postby Deesh » Mon May 04, 2009 5:01 pm

Congrats!!
did you send in a LOCI after being waitlisted?

caoyun

Postby caoyun » Mon May 04, 2009 5:03 pm

They're giving me until May 11 to decide. They didn't ask at all about my commitment so far.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”