The Official UCHICAGO Waitlist Party. Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MissMaroon

Bronze

The Official UCHICAGO Waitlist Party.

Post by MissMaroon » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:44 pm

I felt like we were spread throughout various threads. Let's commiserate over our good(mis) fortune.

Also, make sure you post here if you get off The List. (I'm almost certain some of us/you will this week due to the deposit deadline)

YAY waitlist!!! :D

p.s. Here are some useful threads from last year that might give us some hope and/or a preview of what to expect:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... o+waitlist
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... o+waitlist

HotelLautreamont

New

Re: The Official UCHICAGO Waitlist Party.

Post by HotelLautreamont » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:36 pm

Are you guys sending anything to the admissions office (LOCI, another essay, etc.?) On the one hand, I want to let them know that I'm still really interested, but on the other, I sent in a bunch of stuff when I got held (last month) and I don't want to seem obnoxious.

MissMaroon

Bronze

Post by MissMaroon » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Yes. I'm sending an LOCI tomorrow to inform them that I'd immediately accept an offer of admission/ to inform them that I'm sending an additional essay.

HotelLautreamont

New

Post by HotelLautreamont » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:33 pm

Are you physically mailing it, or just emailing it to the "admissions" address?

MissMaroon

Bronze

Post by MissMaroon » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:03 pm

Physically mailing the LOCI and emailing the writing sample to the essays@whatever email address.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lilybbloom

Bronze

Post by lilybbloom » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:34 pm

good luck, everyone! and thanks for the links, maroon :)

lilybbloom

Bronze

Post by lilybbloom » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:39 pm

oh wow lfrom those threads it looks like an email from dean perry followed up by a phone call- lots on may 1st. another 2 weeks of torture coming up!

MissMaroon

Bronze

Post by MissMaroon » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:56 am

lilybbloom wrote:oh wow lfrom those threads it looks like an email from dean perry followed up by a phone call- lots on may 1st. another 2 weeks of torture coming up!
It'd be pretty exciting if someone got off the WL this week, even if it isn't me haha. I seriously really want some holds to actually get in!!

monochrome

New

Post by monochrome » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:06 am

i'm joining this party. got WL'ed after a hold [hold was in feb, WL was april 20th]

i sent an LOCI on the 14th, but now that the WL is official i'll definitely be sending another one, plus a writing sample.

what do you think they're expecting as "writing samples"? the wording seems a bit vague, i don't think i'm supposed to send in a "why chicago?" essay... right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zero1

New

Post by zero1 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:16 am

MissMaroon wrote:
lilybbloom wrote:oh wow lfrom those threads it looks like an email from dean perry followed up by a phone call- lots on may 1st. another 2 weeks of torture coming up!
It'd be pretty exciting if someone got off the WL this week, even if it isn't me haha. I seriously really want some holds to actually get in!!

I really hope Chicago reps look at this site, deduce who you are, and let you in because you are that dedicated. Good luck. Honestly.

I'm still at Complete.

MissMaroon

Bronze

Post by MissMaroon » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:08 pm

monochrome wrote:i'm joining this party. got WL'ed after a hold [hold was in feb, WL was april 20th]

i sent an LOCI on the 14th, but now that the WL is official i'll definitely be sending another one, plus a writing sample.

what do you think they're expecting as "writing samples"? the wording seems a bit vague, i don't think i'm supposed to send in a "why chicago?" essay... right?
I think it's vague too. I wish we had gotten specific essay questions or something. I don't think they're looking for a "Why Chicago" essay, especially since you can just cover those things in your next LOCI. I want to write one of the non-ED hold essays, but they'd probably think it's creepy that I even know what the questions were haha. I haven't decided on what to send, but I'm going to try to get something in today.

MissMaroon

Bronze

Post by MissMaroon » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:10 pm

zero1 wrote:
MissMaroon wrote:

I really hope Chicago reps look at this site, deduce who you are, and let you in because you are that dedicated. Good luck. Honestly.

I'm still at Complete.
Aww, thanks :D Actually, I think if they do look, my identity would be pretty obvious.

Good luck to all of you as well!!

trueblue

New

Post by trueblue » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:17 pm

Add me to the list.

Instead of a LOCI, I actually sent them a mixed tape of romantic love songs. Mostly Air Supply, Barry Manilow and Tom Jones. I assume in no time UofC will be tossing their underwear at me.

Beat that!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lilybbloom

Bronze

Post by lilybbloom » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:19 pm

trueblue wrote:Add me to the list.

Instead of a LOCI, I actually sent them a mixed tape of romantic love songs. Mostly Air Supply, Barry Manilow and Tom Jones. I assume in no time UofC will be tossing their underwear at me.

Beat that!

seriously?

man. i have no idea what to send, aside from a new transcript that includes my winter quarter grades. someone suggested haikus- what if I sent a new one every day to the essay email address? would that be a turn off?

MissMaroon

Bronze

Post by MissMaroon » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:25 pm

Quick Q, my loves: I'm finishing my LOCI right now, and I'm not sure about who to address it to (i.e. Dear.....).

I emailed the first one directly to Ann Perry a month or so after our interview, but I don't know if addressing it to her is appropriate this time (I'm definitely snail mailing this one). Is "To Whom It May Concern" okay? Or would "Admissions Committee" be better? That sounds a little awkward to me.

Thoughts?

lilybbloom

Bronze

Post by lilybbloom » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:30 pm

I wrote "Dear Dean Perry and members of the Admissions Committee"

a bit wordy, but appropriate, I think.

caoyun

Bronze

Post by caoyun » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:32 pm

I started with "Hello,". No Dear Dean Perry or Admissions Committee, or what have you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MissMaroon

Bronze

Post by MissMaroon » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:36 pm

Hmm. Okay, actually I think I will just address it to her. After all, the letter is technically from her. I mentioned the admissions committee within the letter, so that should be sufficient.

oteezy03

New

Post by oteezy03 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:47 pm

Just wanted to chime in, not trying to crash the party -

I still haven't heard from Chicago (complete for 2 1/2 months)

...as of right now, better or worse prospects than a waitlist?

zero1

New

Post by zero1 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:48 pm

oteezy03 wrote:Just wanted to chime in, not trying to crash the party -

I'm wondering the same. Maybe we're in the admit/waitlist pile? It took forever with NYU as well and they waitlisted me.

trueblue

New

Post by trueblue » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:40 pm

lilybbloom wrote:
trueblue wrote:Add me to the list.

Beat that!

seriously?

man. i have no idea what to send, aside from a new transcript that includes my winter quarter grades. someone suggested haikus- what if I sent a new one every day to the essay email address? would that be a turn off?
Hehe... that's hilarious if you seriously considered the possibility that I would be sending a mixed tape.

No, I'm just going with your standard LOCI on this one.

Although I still am expecting them to throw their underwear... ;-)

And to answer the other question floating around, I began with "Dear Sir or Madam." I know specifics are generally a good idea, but they know who we are by now - I don't think specificity is going to score any points at this stage in the game. In other words, I think any type of formal address, specific or not, would be just fine.

This is going to be a long week! AH!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

knownot

New

Post by knownot » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:46 pm

zero1 wrote:

I'm wondering the same. Maybe we're in the admit/waitlist pile? It took forever with NYU as well and they waitlisted me.
Don't mean to burst your bubble, but my numbers are auto reject and I stil haven't heard...on the other hand my friends are 178/3.9 and he hasn't either...Maybe UChi wasn't lying when they said they look at every application hollistically (I have super good softs)?

zero1

New

Post by zero1 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:53 pm

knownot wrote:
zero1 wrote:

Don't mean to burst your bubble, but my numbers are auto reject and I stil haven't heard...on the other hand my friends are 178/3.9 and he hasn't either...Maybe UChi wasn't lying when they said they look at every application hollistically (I have super good softs)?

Good good.

margaret

New

Post by margaret » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:54 pm

I just emailed adcom asking if they were still admitting applicants - I haven't heard a peep since I went complete in early february. Seriously deposit deadlines are a few short days away. What are these adcoms thinking?

MissMaroon

Bronze

Post by MissMaroon » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:57 pm

knownot wrote:
zero1 wrote:

They really do evaluate each applicant hollistically. More so than any other T-14, IMO (of course, I can't know this for sure).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”