NORTHWESTERN LAW - WAITLIST CREW

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
El Internacional

Re: NORTHWESTERN LAW - WAITLIST CREW

Postby El Internacional » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:41 am

MMW wrote:
El Internacional wrote:
flik wrote:i'll be attending northwestern in the fall and im so excited about it!!!!

ive never been to chicago, if any of you have info on apartments, living please let me know. i want to live as close to the campus as possible. are apartments in chicago as expensive as nyc? are they bigger and nicer for the price you pay? in nyc, just cause you spend more doesnt mean its gonna look nice, its all about location...not sure what the set up is in chicago.

is it unnecessary to have a car? i want to bring a car but i dont know if chicago is like nyc in that someone would be crazy to have a car....

also what is the consensus at northwestern about laptops, i want to purchase a mac, but dont know if i should just get a pc...of course, i'll call northwestern and ask them this but just curious...

when are you all going to move up there and look for apartments? beginning of august? i dont know how long it takes.

any info would be greatly appreciated!

Okay, I live in the Chicago burbs, but I go into the city a lot, and know enough. The downtown campus, where the law school is located, is in the neighborhood named streetervile. Think of the magnificent mile, Navy Pier, Lake Shore Drive, sky scrapers, etc. Other close neighborhoods are The Loop, Gold Coast, River North, Near North. All of those are near the downtown area. If you want a great neighborhood, you should check out Lincoln Park, or Wrigleyville. There is boys town in wrigleyville, if that's your thing. A car is certainly not necessary. There is the El, subway, and the metra if you need to go in to the suburbs. A car would be more of a pain, but it would not be near as big of a pain as I imagine NY is. Chicago is similar to NY in that you can walk, or take public transit to most places. If you want to go out to the suburbs, which are quite large and expansive, then a car would be recommended, but not a necessity. You should check out some of the post card like downtowns like Naperville, Geneva, Wheaton..there are a lot of nice places around here. Shopping in the burbs is great, and can be much cheaper than in the city, where they have insane price hikes.

Are you seriously suggesting commuting from the far west suburbs? I moved back to Chicago from Boston and my lease didn't start until September so I had to commute from my mom's place in Wheaton during orientation and it was unbearable. This last year I barely had enough time to sleep and I lived in Lincoln Park. I would recommend keeping your commute down to at most 30 mins. However, I am kind of jaded since I grew up in Glen Ellyn and spent my youth counting the days until I could leave Dupage County and never come back.

In terms of laptops, you can use anything with a word processor. Probably about 40% of the class uses macs and even a few use linux.

Huh? No, I'm saying he should check out the area, as in just visit different areas around Chicagoland. Hell no, commuting from somewhere such as Naperville would probably take 90 minutes each way if you drive. I HIGHLY recommend that you live in the city. I was just illustrating that it is very nice out here and there are nice suburbs he to check out if you feel like getting out of the chaos of the city for a while. You may have become bored growing up in Glen Ellyn, but the area around here (Naperville, Wheaton, etc) is probably one of the nicer suburban areas in the country.

ecclaw07

Postby ecclaw07 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:49 pm

Anyone think there will be movement this week? Or next? Or ever? :roll:

pixie09

Postby pixie09 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:37 pm

If we are talking about a movement of goods news into my inbox (and your inbox as well, of course), then yes I think so. I am convinced it will happen soon because I will just go nuts otherwise.

ullllgh suspense

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:22 pm

ecclaw07 wrote:Anyone think there will be movement this week? Or next? Or ever? :roll:
It's possible.

Selected 2008 WL/in:
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/finalcountdown 6/27
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/i1der 8/22
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ProfessorDent 7/29
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/onecanonlyhope 6/17

Spor

Postby Spor » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:50 pm

NayBoer wrote:
ecclaw07 wrote:Anyone think there will be movement this week? Or next? Or ever? :roll:
It's possible.

Selected 2008 WL/in:
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/finalcountdown 6/27
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/i1der 8/22
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ProfessorDent 7/29
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/onecanonlyhope 6/17

8/22 - ouch. That's 2 days before orientation.

texchi

Postby texchi » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:03 pm

Any news today?? Anyone? I am losing hope :(....

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:12 pm

For me, today (6/19) was the deposit deadline. During my trip to Chicago, out of paranoia, I stopped by the admissions office to see if my check had been received. With that being said, we may see some movement next week.

awaiting

Postby awaiting » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:40 am

chadwick218 wrote:For me, today (6/19) was the deposit deadline. During my trip to Chicago, out of paranoia, I stopped by the admissions office to see if my check had been received. With that being said, we may see some movement next week.

Chadwick218, how much were you asked to deposit, if you don't mind my asking?

animalcrkrs

Postby animalcrkrs » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:51 am

I got in the round before Chadwick and the deposit amount was $750 (that's the only one though)

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:59 am

$750 with a deposit deadline of 6/19 ... perhaps we'll see some action on Friday.

ecclaw07

Postby ecclaw07 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:48 am

They haven't even been updating their Twitter recently! :| And yes I know it's sad that I actually check on a regular basis, haha.

pixie09

Postby pixie09 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:21 pm

No news = worse than bad news ?
:?

Lizface killah

Postby Lizface killah » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:22 pm

I just got confirmation of my deposit today, even though I sent it in on the 12th.

enygma

Postby enygma » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:35 pm

Lizface killah wrote:I just got confirmation of my deposit today, even though I sent it in on the 12th.

i just got confirmation of mine as well. sent it last tuesday or wednesday priority.

HarryItookcareofit

Postby HarryItookcareofit » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:13 pm

Just got the admit letter today.

That makes me 2 ins, 18 outs, 5 still waitlists.

I found out while bouncing in the back of a pickup traveling through the backcountry of eastern Colorado. A rancher had picked me up to drive me to the town of Leadville, CO so I could resupply. I was riding next to his pet pig. The pigs name was blackie.

I almost dropped the blackberry when I read the email. Then I almost kissed blackie in my joy.

I haven;t posted on TLS often, lurked much, you guys have all been incredibly informative and supportive. This is my second go round applying to school. After lingering on 10 waitlists last year and getting dropped from every one, I feared I was in for a repeat performance in 2009. Fuck yeah Northwestern.

Thanks to all. Hopefully I"ll have the priviledge of buying one or all of you a beer and sharing a deep dish this fall in Chi-town. All things go.

animalcrkrs

Postby animalcrkrs » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:14 pm

congratsssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!

Lizface killah

Postby Lizface killah » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:15 pm

HarryItookcareofit wrote:Just got the admit letter today.

I found out while bouncing in the back of a pickup traveling through the backcountry of eastern Colorado. A rancher had picked me up to drive me to the town of Leadville, CO so I could resupply. I was riding next to his pet pig. The pigs name was blackie.

I almost dropped the blackberry when I read the email. Then I almost kissed blackie in my joy.

I haven;t posted on TLS often, lurked much, you guys have all been incredibly informative and supportive. This is my second go round applying to school. After lingering on 10 waitlists last year and getting dropped from every one, I feared I was in for a repeat performance in 2009. Fuck yeah Northwestern.

Thanks to all. Hopefully I"ll have the privilege of buying one or all of you a beer and sharing a deep dish this fall in Chi-town. All things go.

Yay!!! Congrats!!

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:50 pm

HarryItookcareofit, I would so love to hear this story in person over a couple of beers and pizza at Gino's! Congrats!!! :)

I actually received the email on my blackberry while driving with my dad through the town of Muskogee, Oklahoma in a moving truck (with no a/c in the early summer heat) from Dallas to St. Louis ... somehow I will never forget that little town ... I still like your story a whole lot better!

texchi

Postby texchi » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:48 am

Congrats!! what a crazy, good story! If you don't mind me asking...what are your stats (LSAT/GPA)??

HarryItookcareofit

Postby HarryItookcareofit » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:41 pm

Numbers: 174/2.7

5 years out of school and decent work experience.
Spent some time on the U.S. National rowing team training for the olympics (but never actually made it to Beijing).

I honestly don't really know why they tapped me. I had a great interview? I wrote a complex, very serious but completely ridiculous essay? After two years of doing this, I'm convinced there is no form or poetry to the process. Only blind stabs at logic with an unwieldy, indiscriminate knife.

Anyway, I'm sure I wasn't their first choice off the WL. NW is probably plunging further into the depths of those names as speak. I wish the posters here the best of luck at having that shiny flylure bob in your inbox over the upcoming weeks. How are these fishing references doing for you?

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:39 pm

HarryItookcareofit wrote:Just got the admit letter today.

Thanks to all. Hopefully I"ll have the priviledge of buying one or all of you a beer and sharing a deep dish this fall in Chi-town. All things go.

That is quite the story, and you made me laugh out loud at work. Congrats! I can't believe you applied to 25 schools though. I hope you got a lot of fee waivers?

texchi

Postby texchi » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:29 pm

Congrats! You definitely deserve it! So, it seems to me that NW is going for the High LSAT splitters :(

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:35 pm

texchi wrote:Congrats! You definitely deserve it! So, it seems to me that NW is going for the High LSAT splitters :(

I was admitted with an LSAT score very close to the 25th percentile, but have a 4.0 GPA ... perhaps, they'll need a few more people like us to help even things out a bit. :wink:

Lizface killah

Postby Lizface killah » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:36 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
texchi wrote:Congrats! You definitely deserve it! So, it seems to me that NW is going for the High LSAT splitters :(

I was admitted with an LSAT score very close to the 25th percentile, but have a 4.0 GPA ... perhaps, they'll need a few more people like us to help even things out a bit. :wink:

Me too, and I don't have a 4.0 and I had a shitty interview. There's hope!

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:11 pm

Based on those who have been admitted in recent weeks, I think that this might be where those soft skills really start to come into play as they are looking for people with unique backgrounds to help round out the incoming class. I am pretty confident that the medians and %'s are already solidified.

My advice is to write an LOCI that really ties your background / experiences to something unique / specific to Northwestern Law.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”