NORTHWESTERN LAW - WAITLIST CREW

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
animalcrkrs

Re: NORTHWESTERN LAW - WAITLIST CREW

Postby animalcrkrs » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:16 pm

congrats drew!!

drew

Postby drew » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:40 pm

animalcrkrs wrote:congrats drew!!

Thanks. I'm really in a great situation now. It clearly states in the email, however, that NU has completely exhausted all fin aid. That sucks.

animalcrkrs

Postby animalcrkrs » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:43 pm

Oh I know...I got a very explicit email that I would NOT be receiving any grants, ONLY LOANS.
Thanks for rubbing it in nice and deep NU, appreciate it.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:41 pm

animalcrkrs wrote:Oh I know...I got a very explicit email that I would NOT be receiving any grants, ONLY LOANS.
Thanks for rubbing it in nice and deep NU, appreciate it.

LOL ... I received the very same email. However, it didn't sting too much as I did not receive any scholarship money from my T25 acceptances.

El Internacional

Postby El Internacional » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:24 pm

flik wrote:i'll be attending northwestern in the fall and im so excited about it!!!!

ive never been to chicago, if any of you have info on apartments, living please let me know. i want to live as close to the campus as possible. are apartments in chicago as expensive as nyc? are they bigger and nicer for the price you pay? in nyc, just cause you spend more doesnt mean its gonna look nice, its all about location...not sure what the set up is in chicago.

is it unnecessary to have a car? i want to bring a car but i dont know if chicago is like nyc in that someone would be crazy to have a car....

also what is the consensus at northwestern about laptops, i want to purchase a mac, but dont know if i should just get a pc...of course, i'll call northwestern and ask them this but just curious...

when are you all going to move up there and look for apartments? beginning of august? i dont know how long it takes.

any info would be greatly appreciated!

Okay, I live in the Chicago burbs, but I go into the city a lot, and know enough. The downtown campus, where the law school is located, is in the neighborhood named streetervile. Think of the magnificent mile, Navy Pier, Lake Shore Drive, sky scrapers, etc. Other close neighborhoods are The Loop, Gold Coast, River North, Near North. All of those are near the downtown area. If you want a great neighborhood, you should check out Lincoln Park, or Wrigleyville. There is boys town in wrigleyville, if that's your thing. A car is certainly not necessary. There is the El, subway, and the metra if you need to go in to the suburbs. A car would be more of a pain, but it would not be near as big of a pain as I imagine NY is. Chicago is similar to NY in that you can walk, or take public transit to most places. If you want to go out to the suburbs, which are quite large and expansive, then a car would be recommended, but not a necessity. You should check out some of the post card like downtowns like Naperville, Geneva, Wheaton..there are a lot of nice places around here. Shopping in the burbs is great, and can be much cheaper than in the city, where they have insane price hikes.

Chicago will be much cheaper than Manhattan. I've spent time in NY (dad's side is all from there), and the neighborhood's here are just as great, minus the price tag that Manhattan has. In Streeterville you're probably looking at $1000+ for a small studio, and $1200+ for a small 1bd and it could be much more depending on which building you go with. I have a friend around there paying $1600 for an average small 1bd apartment that is probably 550 sq feet. Certain neighborhoods will be very expensive. Just go on apartments.com and look around or something. You'll find something. Welcome, it's a great city! It is quite cold, but mostly from mid december though early March, so don't sweat it that much. The bitter cold is mostly January and February. This last year was far worse than normal.

jd-mba

Postby jd-mba » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:30 am

The area where the law school is located is a bit of an overlap between Gold Coast and Streeterville. Either area should put you in relatively close proximity.

Like the previous poster said, parking is a pain ($250/month average), so it'd probably better that you don't bring a car if you're planning to live in that area. If you plan to live outside of Streeterville/Gold Coast, parking is much cheaper (usually permit street parking).

I'd do a quick search on Craigslist first to see where the market is currently. My boyfriend was able to get a 1BR 4 blocks away from NU's med school for 1100 when the economy tanked. I recommend looking at 222 Pearson, McClurg Court, and 420 E. Ohio. There are a lot of med school and law school students in all three apartments, so it may be useful for study group purposes etc. All are pretty reasonably priced as well, though you won't be able to find any "specials" now. If you get it early enough, you can usually find 1-month free (prorated into your monthly rent), etc.

jd-mba

Postby jd-mba » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:32 am

By the way, this thread makes me hopeful about my application this fall. :)

waitwatchers

Postby waitwatchers » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:26 am

am i the only one who hasn't gotten offered admission yet?

jewelta

Postby jewelta » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:30 am

waitwatchers wrote:am i the only one who hasn't gotten offered admission yet?

I haven't either. This will be an interesting summer.

yesofcourse

Postby yesofcourse » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:36 am

I'm on the haven't list with you

ecclaw07

Postby ecclaw07 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:43 am

yesofcourse wrote:

Me too!

naturalexponent

Postby naturalexponent » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:32 am

ecclaw07 wrote:
yesofcourse wrote:

Me too!

me too... :(

pixie09

Postby pixie09 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:04 pm

I'm still waiting too. :(

I found the apartment that I want though. The last piece of the puzzle just needs to fall into place.

enygma

Postby enygma » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:11 pm

jewelta wrote:

i think anyone with an avatar as great as yours has to get in. good luck.

jewelta

Postby jewelta » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:14 pm

enygma wrote:
jewelta wrote:

i think anyone with an avatar as great as yours has to get in. good luck.

Haha. Thank you!

Worth a mention on my next LOCI? :D :D :D

CaptainSnuggleBunny

Postby CaptainSnuggleBunny » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:08 pm

I'm pretty sure I listed tomorrow as the day I wanted to be withdrawn from the WL.

Lets see how the next few hours shake up.

All in all I'm not going to be disappointed about not having the option of spending an extra 90k a year to go to a school ranked 10 spots higher than the one I deposited with.
Last edited by CaptainSnuggleBunny on Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bluedee

Postby bluedee » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:11 pm

jewelta wrote:

You are definitely not the only one. But I am going to believe we will be receiving offered admission soon.
Northwestern, can't you see how bad we want to go to your school. :)

fromafarland

Postby fromafarland » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:43 pm

allow me to also enter myself as one not yet allowed into the promised land. But, doesn't hope spring eternally from within the human breast? So, here's hoping!

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:52 pm

fromafarland wrote:allow me to also enter myself as one not yet allowed into the promised land. But, doesn't hope spring eternally from within the human breast? So, here's hoping!

to groping? :wink:

On a serious note, I will be pulling for you!

As to how I was accepted off of the WL, I tried to make a very strong connection in my LOCI linking my professional experience to a couple of Northwestern's centers / clinics.

yesofcourse

Postby yesofcourse » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:35 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
fromafarland wrote:allow me to also enter myself as one not yet allowed into the promised land. But, doesn't hope spring eternally from within the human breast? So, here's hoping!

to groping? :wink:

On a serious note, I will be pulling for you!

As to how I was accepted off of the WL, I tried to make a very strong connection in my LOCI linking my professional experience to a couple of Northwestern's centers / clinics.

chadwick, do you have work experience?

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:53 pm

I am not sure where to take this, but although I have been "working" for five-plus years, you'll have to ask my colleagues as to whether or not I truly have any "experience" ... :wink:

Unfortunately, we won't be able to ask that question until August 15th (they have no idea that I will be attending law school in the fall).

yesofcourse

Postby yesofcourse » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:12 pm

chadwick218 wrote:

I am not sure where to take this, but although I have been "working" for five-plus years, you'll have to ask my colleagues as to whether or not I truly have any "experience" ... :wink:

Unfortunately, we won't be able to ask that question until August 15th (they have no idea that I will be attending law school in the fall).

I am only talking about post-undergrad work experience

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:16 pm

I graduated from u-grad in 2003 and grad school in 2004 ... I have been working ever since.

yesofcourse, you have great stats ... you'll have reason to celebrate before long!

MMW

Postby MMW » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:58 pm

El Internacional wrote:
flik wrote:i'll be attending northwestern in the fall and im so excited about it!!!!

ive never been to chicago, if any of you have info on apartments, living please let me know. i want to live as close to the campus as possible. are apartments in chicago as expensive as nyc? are they bigger and nicer for the price you pay? in nyc, just cause you spend more doesnt mean its gonna look nice, its all about location...not sure what the set up is in chicago.

is it unnecessary to have a car? i want to bring a car but i dont know if chicago is like nyc in that someone would be crazy to have a car....

also what is the consensus at northwestern about laptops, i want to purchase a mac, but dont know if i should just get a pc...of course, i'll call northwestern and ask them this but just curious...

when are you all going to move up there and look for apartments? beginning of august? i dont know how long it takes.

any info would be greatly appreciated!

Okay, I live in the Chicago burbs, but I go into the city a lot, and know enough. The downtown campus, where the law school is located, is in the neighborhood named streetervile. Think of the magnificent mile, Navy Pier, Lake Shore Drive, sky scrapers, etc. Other close neighborhoods are The Loop, Gold Coast, River North, Near North. All of those are near the downtown area. If you want a great neighborhood, you should check out Lincoln Park, or Wrigleyville. There is boys town in wrigleyville, if that's your thing. A car is certainly not necessary. There is the El, subway, and the metra if you need to go in to the suburbs. A car would be more of a pain, but it would not be near as big of a pain as I imagine NY is. Chicago is similar to NY in that you can walk, or take public transit to most places. If you want to go out to the suburbs, which are quite large and expansive, then a car would be recommended, but not a necessity. You should check out some of the post card like downtowns like Naperville, Geneva, Wheaton..there are a lot of nice places around here. Shopping in the burbs is great, and can be much cheaper than in the city, where they have insane price hikes.

Are you seriously suggesting commuting from the far west suburbs? I moved back to Chicago from Boston and my lease didn't start until September so I had to commute from my mom's place in Wheaton during orientation and it was unbearable. This last year I barely had enough time to sleep and I lived in Lincoln Park. I would recommend keeping your commute down to at most 30 mins. However, I am kind of jaded since I grew up in Glen Ellyn and spent my youth counting the days until I could leave Dupage County and never come back.

In terms of laptops, you can use anything with a word processor. Probably about 40% of the class uses macs and even a few use linux.

yesofcourse

Postby yesofcourse » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:55 am

chadwick218 wrote:I graduated from u-grad in 2003 and grad school in 2004 ... I have been working ever since.

yesofcourse, you have great stats ... you'll have reason to celebrate before long!
Last edited by yesofcourse on Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”