Fordham taking forever to reply

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Anglus

Re: Fordham taking forever to reply

Postby Anglus » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:08 pm

Well the restrictions I was referring to was the no campus housing (which I'm not sure is true) and the limited number of classes. Brooklyn law for example allows their evening students to take the same number of classes as full-time day if they wish. I transferred undergrad a few times and I really hate being on a different schedule / path as the school has designed for me.

As for taking a summer internship while in classes, your right its still an option. I suppose I jumped to conclusions when writing that part. In fact i just read you can count certain internships as one of the two required classes to transfer to FT (the elective).

geoanthem

Postby geoanthem » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:14 pm

Anglus wrote:Well the restrictions I was referring to was the no campus housing (which I'm not sure is true) and the limited number of classes. Brooklyn law for example allows their evening students to take the same number of classes as full-time day if they wish. I transferred undergrad a few times and I really hate being on a different schedule / path as the school has designed for me.

As for taking a summer internship while in classes, your right its still an option. I suppose I jumped to conclusions when writing that part. In fact i just read you can count certain internships as one of the two required classes to transfer to FT (the elective).

First year is basically the same classes for everyone, no matter what law school. Because of this you don't get to pick and choose your classes and won't miss out on electives. You can take electives your second and third years. If you take two classes over the summer you will be able to easily transfer for your second and third year into the day program. I hope this helps clear up any misconceptions.

Lilac529

Postby Lilac529 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:22 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:I believe we can't take day classes. Some people were thinking of doing this to facilitate switching over. Since the summer classes are in the evening, though, I don't see how this would preclude a summer internship.

That's really good.

Lilac529

Postby Lilac529 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:22 pm

Anglus wrote:As for taking a summer internship while in classes, your right its still an option. I suppose I jumped to conclusions when writing that part. In fact i just read you can count certain internships as one of the two required classes to transfer to FT (the elective).

Where did you read this? If this is true, it is really wonderful.

Anglus

Postby Anglus » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:25 pm

http://law.fordham.edu/ihtml/jd-2degreq.ihtml?id=443#15

In order to transfer to the day division, students must fulfill residency requirements by enrolling in Constitutional Law or Civil Procedure and in an elective course in the Summer Session. A clinical externship (except Clinical Externship: Out Of Town) counts as an elective.

ngross32

Postby ngross32 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:44 pm

Anglus wrote:http://law.fordham.edu/ihtml/jd-2degreq.ihtml?id=443#15

In order to transfer to the day division, students must fulfill residency requirements by enrolling in Constitutional Law or Civil Procedure and in an elective course in the Summer Session. A clinical externship (except Clinical Externship: Out Of Town) counts as an elective.

What do they mean by residency requirements?

Anglus

Postby Anglus » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:55 pm

Residence refers to their minimum required credits each semester to stay enrolled in the school.

To receive residence credit, full time students must pass at least 10 hours of courses per semester; part time students must pass at least 8 hours of courses per semester.

While looking for that quote i found this one which is important to me:

No student in the day division may take fewer than 12 hours or more than 16 hours per semester without special permission. No student in the evening division may take fewer than 8 hours per semester, or more than 12 hours per semester, without permission.

That confirms an PT student can only take 4 classes max a semester unless given special permission. It also means that you must take 3 classes minimum in the PT division. I don't know how easy it is to get that permission though... At fordham undergrad they had the same restriction of max 5 classes a semester without special permission. One semester I wanted to take 6 and my dean gave me premission in 30 seconds after looking at my gpa.

So presumably you could do very well the first semester and be allowed to take 5 classes your 2nd semester of part time, then do the externship for the elective, and the 2nd class over the summer to be on the same level as full time students when transferring to full time. I think I'm going to call them and ask if this is possible tomorrow.

boxwolf

Postby boxwolf » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:12 pm

In!!! Thank the L-rd!

And Dean Brown and entire Addcomm!

And all you guys! Thanks for your support and advice! Looking forward to sharing the classroom with you!

Good luck to all existing waitlistees!!!

Lilac529

Postby Lilac529 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:15 pm

boxwolf wrote:In!!! Thank the L-rd!

And all you guys! Thanks for your support and advice! Looking forward to sharing the classroom with you!

wow. Congrats!

I really wish to get in. Please! Desperately waiting. :(

Lilac529

Postby Lilac529 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:17 pm

FT or PT?

I feel like losing hope here.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:24 pm

Congrats! Welcome, classmate!

boxwolf

Postby boxwolf » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:24 pm

Lilac529 wrote:

FT or PT?

I feel like losing hope here.

Don't! I sort of did too. Just make sure you stay on DB's mind.

PT

boxwolf

Postby boxwolf » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:25 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:

Congrats! Welcome, classmate!

Thanks OS!! Looking forward!

PeaceLoveLotus

Postby PeaceLoveLotus » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:44 pm

Congratus Boxwolf!! :P Did you just find out this late at night?

boxwolf

Postby boxwolf » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:25 pm

PeaceLoveLotus wrote:

Congratus Boxwolf!! :P Did you just find out this late at night?

Thanks PeaceLover! I found out at around 7:30 tonight

pammy1985

Postby pammy1985 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:28 pm

OMG Congrats!!!! It's so great to see this many ppl get in and be happy!!! I'm really excited for everyone and I hope all others get in soon so we can all celebrate!!!!

boxwolf

Postby boxwolf » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:03 am

pammy1985 wrote:

OMG Congrats!!!! It's so great to see this many ppl get in and be happy!!! I'm really excited for everyone and I hope all others get in soon so we can all celebrate!!!!

Thanks Pammy! Future classmate!

MandM

Postby MandM » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:09 am

geoanthem wrote:
MandM wrote:I'm reluctant to post my stats since I have this fear that someone in admissions is reading this blog and comparing what I say to some spreadsheet to figure out who I am. Yeah… paranoid!

But I applied for FT, got denied, and am now being reconsidered for PT.

Yeah but people posting on this thread have had amazing luck in getting off the waitlist at Fordham, so maybe thats a good thing?

True. In that case, Fordham I'm the one who just left a message for Dean Brown. Graduated from that school up at Morningside Heights with the 2.9 GPA as a result of some unfortunate circumstances. :oops:

Congratulations! At 7:30pm? They were really trying to keep you on your toes.

MandM

Postby MandM » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:10 am

Who else is still waiting along with me for some good news from Fordham?

smiskers

Postby smiskers » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:17 am

me me me me mememememememmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

bostonlegal

Postby bostonlegal » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:18 am

MandM wrote:Who else is still waiting along with me for some good news from Fordham?

Me! Emailed with Dean Brown yesterday and he told me I'm on the "right side of the waitlist", but I'm starting to feel that the only right side is off.

Fordham, pleeaase let me in!

MandM

Postby MandM » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:23 am

bostonlegal wrote:
MandM wrote:Who else is still waiting along with me for some good news from Fordham?

Me! Emailed with Dean Brown yesterday and he told me I'm on the "right side of the waitlist", but I'm starting to feel that the only right side is off.

Can you PM the email address you are emailing him through? I haven't received a response from him via email... I'm starting to think I'm sending my emails to the wrong email address.

bostonlegal

Postby bostonlegal » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:27 am

MandM wrote:
bostonlegal wrote:

Can you PM the email address you are emailing him through? I haven't received a response from him via email... I'm starting to think I'm sending my emails to the wrong email address.

Done.

MandM

Postby MandM » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:30 am

bostonlegal wrote:
MandM wrote:
bostonlegal wrote:

Done.

Thank you

Monaco

Postby Monaco » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:49 am

I want this soooooo badly. I don't know what else to do. I just had my last supervisor write a recommendation for me. I recently joined two community service/volunteer/mentor groups. Should I write to DB about that or should I just wait it out and hope that the cards fall in my favor? I already sent in one LOCI- is it time for another one?

Help guys ....need some guidance, some hope as well!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”