Page 8 of 9

Re: STCL South Texas College of Law

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:04 pm
by RSN_M3
Grad_Student wrote:And remember, STCL employs over-time police officers (HPD, Harris Co. Sherrif) that patrol the school, around the school and the prof's parking area. They will also escort you all the way to your car in your parking garage.


This.

Also, STCL is located near a newly constructed mall and several different venues (House of Blues, Toyota Center, GRB), so there are always people walking around. Rockets games and concerts draw crowds to downtown several nights a week.

Location wise, STCL is on the way up and it's safer than UH in my view.

Re: STCL South Texas College of Law

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:54 pm
by Grad_Student
jgrin wrote:
Grad_Student wrote:And remember, STCL employs over-time police officers (HPD, Harris Co. Sherrif) that patrol the school, around the school and the prof's parking area. They will also escort you all the way to your car in your parking garage.


Nice.

I have another question for you. How hard is it to be selected to write for the law review? Is there an application process? I really don't know a lot about it, but am very interested in it, so any info would be greatly appreciated.

ahh yes, LR. The minimum gpa is a 2.667 to 3.40 to write on. If you have a 3.40+, then you grade on. I think a MAJORITY of the folks on it grade on. I know of some people who did write on and made it but I have an inkling that there GPA's were on at the cusp of grading on. There are 2 write on competition each year; one over the summer and the other over winter break.

Re: STCL South Texas College of Law

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:09 pm
by jgrin
Grad_Student wrote:
jgrin wrote:
Grad_Student wrote:And remember, STCL employs over-time police officers (HPD, Harris Co. Sherrif) that patrol the school, around the school and the prof's parking area. They will also escort you all the way to your car in your parking garage.


Nice.

I have another question for you. How hard is it to be selected to write for the law review? Is there an application process? I really don't know a lot about it, but am very interested in it, so any info would be greatly appreciated.

ahh yes, LR. The minimum gpa is a 2.667 to 3.40 to write on. If you have a 3.40+, then you grade on. I think a MAJORITY of the folks on it grade on. I know of some people who did write on and made it but I have an inkling that there GPA's were on at the cusp of grading on. There are 2 write on competition each year; one over the summer and the other over winter break.


what is the difference between write on and grade on? does this merely mean that some graded on the law review, and others wrote on the law review?

Re: STCL South Texas College of Law

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:33 pm
by Stryka
Reading all these good things about South Texas is really helping me choose where to go. Already made my first deposit for South Texas, but am waiting from the waitlist at KU, Texas Wesleyan, and to hear back from SMU again...I really want to practice in Dallas though.

Re: STCL South Texas College of Law

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:18 pm
by Grad_Student
jgrin wrote:
Grad_Student wrote:
jgrin wrote:
Grad_Student wrote:And remember, STCL employs over-time police officers (HPD, Harris Co. Sherrif) that patrol the school, around the school and the prof's parking area. They will also escort you all the way to your car in your parking garage.


Nice.

I have another question for you. How hard is it to be selected to write for the law review? Is there an application process? I really don't know a lot about it, but am very interested in it, so any info would be greatly appreciated.

ahh yes, LR. The minimum gpa is a 2.667 to 3.40 to write on. If you have a 3.40+, then you grade on. I think a MAJORITY of the folks on it grade on. I know of some people who did write on and made it but I have an inkling that there GPA's were on at the cusp of grading on. There are 2 write on competition each year; one over the summer and the other over winter break.


what is the difference between write on and grade on? does this merely mean that some graded on the law review, and others wrote on the law review?

Yes, sorry if my post didn't make that clear. If you have a 3.40 or above, you auto-grade on. if you have between 2.667 and 3.40, you have to write on.

Re: STCL South Texas College of Law

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:20 pm
by Grad_Student
Also, in a few days/weeks I'm going to gather up all my 1L supplements and sell them as a bundle. I have most of the E&Es for the first year courses, along with a bunch of emmanuels and crunchtimes. If anyone is interested let me know, I'm not sure what I'll sell them at other than highly highly discounted and you pay for shipping.

Re: STCL South Texas College of Law

Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:21 am
by blurped
Grad_student: I'm interested. Let me know what you want for the bundle. I already have the E&E's for torts and contracts though. If you're in Houston, I can come to you and pick up

Re: STCL South Texas College of Law

Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:34 am
by Grad_Student
blurped wrote:Grad_student: I'm interested. Let me know what you want for the bundle. I already have the E&E's for torts and contracts though. If you're in Houston, I can come to you and pick up

Awesome, sent you a pm

Re: STCL South Texas College of Law

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:13 am
by happy187
anyone hear from the wait list yet?

Re: STCL South Texas College of Law

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:27 pm
by jgrin
happy187 wrote:anyone hear from the wait list yet?


i doubt they start reviewing until jun 1

Re: STCL South Texas College of Law

Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:04 pm
by happy187
jgrin wrote:
happy187 wrote:anyone hear from the wait list yet?


i doubt they start reviewing until jun 1


i was told mid may via email, but since technically this is mid may, the waiting continues.

Re: STCL South Texas College of Law

Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:09 pm
by Grad_Student
happy187 wrote:
jgrin wrote:
happy187 wrote:anyone hear from the wait list yet?


i doubt they start reviewing until jun 1


i was told mid may via email, but since technically this is mid may, the waiting continues.

Call Admissions and talk to Janie, she'll let you know what's up.

Re: STCL South Texas College of Law

Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:25 pm
by happy187
Grad_Student wrote:Call Admissions and talk to Janie, she'll let you know what's up.


i've called a couple times but not sure who i've talked to. basically, just got the run around, kinda hoping no news is good news.

Re: STCL South Texas College of Law

Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:31 am
by ashleylb
When I called I was told that admissions went back to committee on May 17th. I am currently on the waitlist as well.

Re: STCL South Texas College of Law

Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:29 pm
by raperez129
ashleylb wrote:When I called I was told that admissions went back to committee on May 17th. I am currently on the waitlist as well.


Makes sense. The final seat deposit was due May 15th.

Re: STCL South Texas College of Law

Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:58 pm
by happy187
ashleylb wrote:When I called I was told that admissions went back to committee on May 17th. I am currently on the waitlist as well.


yeah like someone else said, that makes perfect sense with the seat deposit dates. I wonder when the waitlist seat deposit is due, that would be a pretty good indicator of when to expect results back i would imagine.

Re: STCL South Texas College of Law

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:09 pm
by bcollinssig
Received acceptance email today. Waitlisted on 5 May. Now the fun of figuring out how the Post 9/11 GI Bill works...

Re: STCL South Texas College of Law

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:20 pm
by raperez129
bcollinssig wrote:Received acceptance email today. Waitlisted on 5 May. Now the fun of figuring out how the Post 9/11 GI Bill works...



Congrats!

Re: STCL South Texas College of Law

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:30 pm
by happy187
bcollinssig wrote:Received acceptance email today. Waitlisted on 5 May. Now the fun of figuring out how the Post 9/11 GI Bill works...


literally same thing here. Just got my acceptance letter, and now I need to find my VA rep.

Re: STCL South Texas College of Law

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:33 pm
by Grad_Student
Congrats guys, I look forward to seeing you guys in the fall.

Re: STCL South Texas College of Law

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:00 pm
by angie979
What are some typical stats that STCL might offer scholarships for?

I just took my LSAT and am awaiting my score. I had hoped to score similar to my practice tests which were in the mid 160s; however, I have a bad feeling I may not have broken 160. This is all just speculation until I receive my score of course. I have a 3.7 GPA.

I read where one of you received a scholarship with a 160 and 3.4. Has anyone who scored lower than 160 on the lsat received a scholarship from STCL?

Thanks a bunch.

Re: STCL South Texas College of Law

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:40 pm
by bcollinssig
I know of a girl who had a 3.75 and a 158 and she got 50% scholarship.

Re: STCL South Texas College of Law

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:32 pm
by klt7560
i withdrew my acceptance from STCL. hopefully one of you waitlisters gets pulled off... :)

Re: STCL South Texas College of Law

Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:07 am
by happy187
where are you going instead?

Re: STCL South Texas College of Law

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:07 pm
by klt7560
happy187 wrote:where are you going instead?


SMU

I applied to all tx schools (except UT) in April, was waitlisted/denied almost everywhere probably due to late application. Accepted to STCL towards end of May. Accepted to SMU last friday off of waitlist. Wednesday I withdrew from everywhere else. I live in Dallas and SMU was my 1st choice so I'm going... :)