STCL South Texas College of Law Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
anonis

New

Re: STCL South Texas College of Law

Post by anonis » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:05 pm

I just received an acceptance email but there was no mention of a scholly.. Has anyone heard about merit schollys yet?

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:23 pm

I got in today by email. It takes some weight off anyway now that I have a respectable option.

Like many of you, now I'll wait to hear from UH PT, but if I don't hear in the next 15 days I'll be putting down the deposit.

Hope to see some of you this fall.

bauer12

New

Post by bauer12 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:27 pm

Just got a merit scholarship for $10,000. Has anyone else heard anything about this yet?

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:28 am

bauer12 wrote:Just got a merit scholarship for $10,000. Has anyone else heard anything about this yet?

I have not. Out of curiosity, how long after your admission did you receive scholarship info?

I'm not exactly holding my breath but I'd be interested in knowing if it's still a possibility.

RSN_M3

Bronze

Post by RSN_M3 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:06 pm

I was admitted late January and received merit scholarship information yesterday via e-mail. Meh. Tulane gave the the same $5,000 renewable scholarship STCL did. STCL is being a little stingy IMO.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EBGB

New

Post by EBGB » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:05 pm

RSN_M3 wrote:I was admitted late January and received merit scholarship information yesterday via e-mail. Meh. Tulane gave the the same $5,000 renewable scholarship STCL did. STCL is being a little stingy IMO.
Do you mind if I ask what your LSAT/GPA were? I got $37K (notified back in mid-March), but my numbers are higher than their median.

jgrin

Bronze

Post by jgrin » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:30 pm

EBGB wrote:
RSN_M3 wrote:I was admitted late January and received merit scholarship information yesterday via e-mail. Meh. Tulane gave the the same $5,000 renewable scholarship STCL did. STCL is being a little stingy IMO.
Do you mind if I ask what your LSAT/GPA were? I got $37K (notified back in mid-March), but my numbers are higher than their median.
Can I know too? I am kind of expecting a scholly... I got one to St. Mary's and would really like to get some loot.

bauer12

New

Post by bauer12 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:56 pm

If you're above median I'm sure you will hear soon. I was admitted two weeks ago and then emailed a week later being notified that I had received a $10,000 renewable scholly. I bet they will continue to come out as people withdrawal.

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:43 am

This thread needs life.

I RSVP'd to an admitted students reception May 1st. Is anyone else going?

I'd like to go if nothing else just to see the campus which I have never seen.

Has anyone attended one of these? Are they worthwhile? If you're married did you bring your wife/husband?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:52 am

rdcws000 wrote:This thread needs life.

Has anyone attended one of these? Are they worthwhile? If you're married did you bring your wife/husband?
I agree, needs a bit of life..... :mrgreen:

Yes, I am going. The only time I've seen the campus is the LSAT, so I don't count that as a tour.
Yes, I am married, and my spouse agreed to come with me.

FWIW - all the action is on the U or H thread, since most of us are waiting to hear from them too. :wink:

hookem

New

Post by hookem » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:45 pm

I'll be at the reception on may 1st as well. Ill be riding solo though

jgrin

Bronze

Post by jgrin » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:24 pm

What address do you send your seat deposit in to?

TaliaT

New

Post by TaliaT » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:15 am

I was accepted...but I dont think Im going to go. I visited the school a week ago, and although it is a nice campus, I dont think Houston is for me. Im still waiting on UNLV and Ive been accepted to Texas Wesleyan with a scholarship. The DFW area is much more for me I think.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:48 am

I went downtown yesterday to the campus for the first time to pay my deposit in person. Still waiting on UH but I consider STCL a very respectable option if I'm not accepted at UH.

I like the feel of the campus. I didn't get to stay long because I only had 40 cents and pocket lint in my pockets and that bought me about 12 minutes of parking at the meter. There is something to be said for history when it comes to a law school, and this is an old and historic building. I'm looking forward to making a final decision and if it is STCL I'll be perfectly content.

EBGB

New

Post by EBGB » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:14 am

rdcws000 wrote: I'm looking forward to making a final decision and if it is STCL I'll be perfectly content.
I feel that way too, even though I'm still waiting to hear from 3 schools. I actually gave STCL my deposit and chose it over Texas Wesleyan because they gave me a comparable scholarship, and they have ties to Austin that TxWes doesn't have.

dczag

New

Post by dczag » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:14 pm

rdcws000 wrote:This thread needs life.

I'll be there! Sent in my seat deposit today. Has anyone started looking at apartments yet? For those of you from Houston, any recommendations for good apartments near the school?

EBGB

New

Post by EBGB » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:49 pm

dczag wrote: Has anyone started looking at apartments yet? For those of you from Houston, any recommendations for good apartments near the school?
There's some good info on the U of H thread about places to live. My recommendation is River Oaks, Montrose, Medical Center, Rice, anywhere inside the 610 Loop if you can afford it. Also, have you been getting emails from apartment locators? I already have a place lined up, so I've had to unsubscribe from two different locators who have been emailing me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TaliaT

New

Post by TaliaT » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:19 pm

Ive been doing my research about apartments out there and I can say that most things in the remote downtown area or off the loop are certainly pricy. If you don't mind the drive...as the previous poster said...check out those other places.

I sent in my seat deposit today as well. Its my backup in case I don't hear from UNLV. Checking out Texas Wesleyan at the end of the month to see how I feel about their programs.

tuna4

New

Post by tuna4 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:03 pm

Accepted today. Have all ready paid a deposit to St. Mary's. Got a scholarship there, wonder if STCL will come through with one as well. When did you guys hear about scholarship info?

Stryka

New

Post by Stryka » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:15 pm

They are taking forever to reply. Still sitting at complete 2/3

tuna4

New

Post by tuna4 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:45 pm

Stryka wrote:They are taking forever to reply. Still sitting at complete 2/3
I went complete 2/18. I bet you'll hear pretty soon.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:57 pm

tuna4 wrote:Accepted today. Have all ready paid a deposit to St. Mary's. Got a scholarship there, wonder if STCL will come through with one as well. When did you guys hear about scholarship info?
I was accepted on 3/11 and have not heard any word on scholly info. I haven't even heard anything about a financial aid package yet. :roll:

hulababe522

New

Post by hulababe522 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:30 pm

I sent them an email negotiating for a scholarship and they offered me $12,000 a year. I ended up turning them down because I received a better offer at Denver, but they were really nice about the entire thing.

happy187

Bronze

Post by happy187 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:06 am

still on the waitlist hope some more people accept at other schools

hookem

New

Post by hookem » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:24 am

anybody know what the dress code is for the reception on May 1st? Is a blazer and khakis too much?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”