STCL South Texas College of Law Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rdcws000

Bronze

Re: STCL South Texas College of Law

Post by rdcws000 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:48 am

hookem wrote:anybody know what the dress code is for the reception on May 1st? Is a blazer and khakis too much?
I definitely don't think it's too much, business casual is always a safe bet. I was thinking slightly more casual for myself. I plan on jeans and a button down shirt. As far as I understand the event, it's a tour and an information session, so I think the burden of impression falls on the school.

Stryka

New

Post by Stryka » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:18 pm

Just got an email....admitted...finally a school I will consider going to!!! I only have till may 1 for the 300 deposit though :/, still waiting on smu and some others

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:10 pm

Stryka wrote:Just got an email....admitted...finally a school I will consider going to!!! I only have till may 1 for the 300 deposit though :/, still waiting on smu and some others

Congrats!!

EBGB

New

Post by EBGB » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:12 pm

Stryka wrote:Just got an email....admitted...finally a school I will consider going to!!! I only have till may 1 for the 300 deposit though :/, still waiting on smu and some others
Congratulations. That's weird about the deposit, though. I have until May 15th. Do you think they do different deposit dates depending on the admit date? I was admitted back in March.

lawschool10

New

Post by lawschool10 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:02 pm

FYI - I got an email yesterday stating all scholarship monies had been allocated.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:13 pm

Finally got rejected from my first (and only other) option, UH. Of course being accepted at STCL softens the blow...

I guess I need to go all in with South Texas now. I feel good about STCL, just a little disappointed because UH was a bit more attractive of an option, and I thought I had competitive numbers.

Oh well, anyone else going to STCL after being denied at UH? Want to commiserate together?

jgrin

Bronze

Post by jgrin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:20 pm

rdcws000 wrote:Finally got rejected from my first (and only other) option, UH. Of course being accepted at STCL softens the blow...

I guess I need to go all in with South Texas now. I feel good about STCL, just a little disappointed because UH was a bit more attractive of an option, and I thought I had competitive numbers.

Oh well, anyone else going to STCL after being denied at UH? Want to commiserate together?
+1, unless SMU pans out. I also have an app out to Tech (haven't hear back yet).

So more than likely, I'll be at STCL in the fall. I kinda feel the same way you do. Blow is softened yet UH was still a bit more attractive.

bauer12

New

Post by bauer12 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:10 am

I'd love to commiserate with you... I was really feeling positive about my chances with UH. I had a LOR from a UH law prof and had a 160 -3.4

I only applied to:
Tulane - accepted
UH - denied
stcl - accepted ($10,000+)

Living for free is just too tempting right now (my family has a place I can live). For everyone seeking a positive note... heres to enjoying much better facilities and graduating in the top 5%.

Stryka

New

Post by Stryka » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:11 am

So, it's my first school I'll actually consider to attend, I only have 9 days since getting in yesterday to decide to put the deposit down by May 1. I got waitlisted at Texas Wesleyan which was one of my top choices. Still waiting on SMU, but am on the waitlist for UTK, Hoftstra, and KU. I'm not sure what's the best decision. To wait for the waitlist or deposit? Anyone have any ideas or anything to say about South Texas?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

EBGB

New

Post by EBGB » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:51 am

rdcws000 wrote:Finally got rejected from my first (and only other) option, UH. Of course being accepted at STCL softens the blow...

That's me. Still waiting to hear from SMU, but with being rejected from UH and Baylor, I'm not really holding out hope. STCL is good. I've got a fabulous scholarship there and a free place to live. I want to be somewhere where the faculty focuses on making good attorneys, so that gives them a leg up over Baylor anyway.

hookem

New

Post by hookem » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:52 am

For what it's worth, I found this article to be interesting. It's from a magazine called Texas super lawyers...It's supposed to rank some of the "best" firms and lawyers in Texas. These are the law schools that produced the most people on their list

UT - 1080
SMU - 449
UH- 371
Baylor - 304
STCL - 219
TT - 205
St. Mary's - 205
TX Wesleyan

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:57 am

bauer12 wrote:I'd love to commiserate with you... I was really feeling positive about my chances with UH. I had a LOR from a UH law prof and had a 160 -3.4

I only applied to:
Tulane - accepted
UH - denied

Living for free is just too tempting right now (my family has a place I can live). For everyone seeking a positive note... heres to enjoying much better facilities and graduating in the top 5%.
I'm 95% sure I'll be at STCL this fall. Just wanting to make sure nothing crazy happens with my job in the next few months or anything, and I'd like to see how the financial aid works out.

As for getting rejected from UH and getting used to the idea of STCL, after one day of thinking about it I don't feel so horrible about it. STCL is a well respected law school in a great location. Really what we need from law school (unless we are seriously devoted to slaving away at a big law firm in a highrise building) is the education and tools to pass the bar exam and be successful in a law career, of which there are many variations.

STCL offers this.

Law schools and the legal profession at large tend to be elitist, and I got caught up in this a little bit during the application process. I'm over it now. I'm excited about South Texas.

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:32 pm

rdcws000 wrote:
bauer12 wrote:I'd love to commiserate with you... I was really feeling positive about my chances with UH. I had a LOR from a UH law prof and had a 160 -3.4

I only applied to:
Tulane - accepted
UH - denied

I'm 95% sure I'll be at STCL this fall. Just wanting to make sure nothing crazy happens with my job in the next few months or anything, and I'd like to see how the financial aid works out.

As for getting rejected from UH and getting used to the idea of STCL, after one day of thinking about it I don't feel so horrible about it. STCL is a well respected law school in a great location. Really what we need from law school (unless we are seriously devoted to slaving away at a big law firm in a highrise building) is the education and tools to pass the bar exam and be successful in a law career, of which there are many variations.

STCL offers this.

Law schools and the legal profession at large tend to be elitist, and I got caught up in this a little bit during the application process. I'm over it now. I'm excited about South Texas.
+1000

I'm still alive, pending at U of H, but emotionally I've committed myself to STCL. And I'm okay with that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bauer12

New

Post by bauer12 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:32 pm

rdcws000 wrote:

I only applied to:
Tulane - accepted
UH - denied

STCL offers this.

+1

Very well put. I guess I have a hard way of looking at it considering I've been around it my whole life. My dad works for one of the big three in Houston and received his J.D. from HLS. Even though he's been really supportive it just sucks to look back on the whole process. South Texas is a great school and can offer the same things that a J.D. from UH can offer. The only difference is that you need a much higher class rank for solid job prospects. That being said, I look forward to seeing all of you next fall.

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:19 am

Does anyone know of any other forums where STCL students participate?

This forum tends to be focused on admissions and does not have huge participation obviously. I am trying to get excited about attending and would be interested in discussing things like class schedules, financial aid, commutes, future career goals, etc. TLS has been great but I'd like to distance myself from the spectre of the UH thread that haunts me. Also, I don't know that TLS even considers STCL a part of the club; anybody notice STCL is not an option in the profile drop down school list?

If anyone can point me in the direction of a forum of current or admitted students, I'd be grateful!

hookem

New

Post by hookem » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:59 am

Fbook group?

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:23 pm

hookem wrote:Fbook group?
Do you know if there is one?

I couldn't find one that seemed active. Maybe there's just not much interest.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jgrin

Bronze

Post by jgrin » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:59 pm

rdcws000 wrote:

+1, I would like to be a part of this group as well

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:46 pm

jgrin wrote:
rdcws000 wrote:

+1 count me in too. If someone starts a FB group, PM me for my email addy.

EBGB

New

Post by EBGB » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:49 pm

raperez129 wrote:
jgrin wrote:
rdcws000 wrote:

+1 count me in too. If someone starts a FB group, PM me for my email addy.
+1 me too!

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:52 pm

I can try to create one. I never have before but I can't imagine it's that difficult. I'll try to create one later tonight - South Texas College of Law - Admitted Fall 2010 or something to that effect.

Please send me a PM with any FB contact info if you're interested.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

EBGB

New

Post by EBGB » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:17 pm

rdcws000 wrote:I can try to create one. I never have before but I can't imagine it's that difficult. I'll try to create one later tonight - South Texas College of Law - Admitted Fall 2010 or something to that effect.

I'd call it the Class of 2013. That seems to be how the other groups are named.

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:33 pm

EBGB wrote:
rdcws000 wrote:I can try to create one. I never have before but I can't imagine it's that difficult. I'll try to create one later tonight - South Texas College of Law - Admitted Fall 2010 or something to that effect.

I would do that, but if I'm entering in 2010, as a PT student, can I legitimately include myself in that group? I guess technically I'd be considered with the class of 2014.

EBGB

New

Post by EBGB » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:36 pm

rdcws000 wrote:
EBGB wrote:

I would do that, but if I'm entering in 2010, as a PT student, can I legitimately include myself in that group? I guess technically I'd be considered with the class of 2014.
Ahhh...good point. My bad. Carry on.

Berg_Nasty

New

Post by Berg_Nasty » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:20 pm

critten wrote:Well i was waitlisted. I was wondering if anyone else had any information on their waitlist? When was deposit date for STCL?
I have 2 friends that were on the waitlist in january, and were accepted on the day that you were waitlisted. So, maybe you will be accepted after the May seat deposit is due.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”