Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Example of Letter to Request Deferral
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:31 pm 

Does anyone have an example of a letter requesting to defer for a year? I am trying to get an idea of how detailed and formal these requests should be. Specifically, I am deferring for financial reasons - I need to keep my job for another year.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Example of Letter to Request Deferral
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:29 pm 

+1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:38 pm 

jjsimmon wrote:
Does anyone have an example of a letter requesting to defer for a year? I am trying to get an idea of how detailed and formal these requests should be. Specifically, I am deferring for financial reasons - I need to keep my job for another year.

Thanks in advance!

I don't think they will consider this a legitimate reason.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:33 pm 

+1

Does anyone have a sample letter they have written?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:18 pm 

jjsimmon wrote:

Thanks in advance!

I have to ask; if you need another year to make money before you go to school why didn't you keep working and apply to start when you want to start?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:17 pm 

Danteshek wrote:
I don't think they will consider this a legitimate reason.

yes they will.

JJS: I deferred last year (for other reasons). It's not a big deal, so don't make it long. They just need something in writing.

"Dear X,

Thank you again for the offer of admission at Y. I'm thrilled about the opportunity to enroll and begin pursuit of my career in law.

Unfortunately, I've been reviewing my finances and the regional economy, and I've concluded that I need to work for another year and build up some savings before I begin. In this market, it seems only prudent to minimize debt as much as possible.

So I would like to request a deferral for a year, and make a deposit to secure a seat in the class of 2014. Please let me know if this is possible. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about my situation.

Thanks so much,

etc."