In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
animalcrkrs
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:24 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby animalcrkrs » Wed May 06, 2009 6:41 pm

anyone heard movement from this 'reserve' (not waitlist) list lately? We are supposedly being re-reviewed now....not sure why since doesn't look like much movement is going on....

User avatar
MissMaroon
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:01 am

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby MissMaroon » Wed May 06, 2009 6:49 pm

animalcrkrs wrote:anyone heard movement from this 'reserve' (not waitlist) list lately? We are supposedly being re-reviewed now....not sure why since doesn't look like much movement is going on....


I thought the letter said mid-late May... do you know something I don't know?!

p.s. I need to withdraw actually because the last thing I need is a non-Chicago option. I do NOT want to move to NY. Nor do I want to receive another rejection... Nor do I want to deal with another waitlist.

p.p.s. Someone in the Cornell thread said someone got off Cornell reserve recently according to LSN. Me don't think so though.

User avatar
animalcrkrs
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:24 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby animalcrkrs » Wed May 06, 2009 6:52 pm

Maroon, I don't know anything, haven't you figured it out by this point??? ;)
Haha, we are on so many of the same boards I feel like I 'see' you on a daily basis now lol...
I thought is just said May, but I don't have it in front of me.
Mid to late would make since as May 18th is supposedly their 2nd deposit deadline.

User avatar
Lisa7n99
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby Lisa7n99 » Wed May 06, 2009 6:53 pm

They won't be examining the files until around May 19th when the next round of seat deposits are due. Then you can expect to hear anytime from late May to early June which god I hope not....but hell, what's another month after waiting since October 6th for something definitive? :)

I've been in touch with the office and it seems that there are seats available and probably will be in May. So....keep hope alive.

User avatar
animalcrkrs
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:24 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby animalcrkrs » Wed May 06, 2009 6:56 pm

Fantastic Lisa, just the info I wanted to hear! Glad to know it....let's meet back here on this board in a few weeks and anxiously await decisions, yet again!!!!!

User avatar
MissMaroon
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:01 am

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby MissMaroon » Wed May 06, 2009 7:00 pm

animalcrkrs wrote:Maroon, I don't know anything, haven't you figured it out by this point??? ;)
Haha, we are on so many of the same boards I feel like I 'see' you on a daily basis now lol...
I thought is just said May, but I don't have it in front of me.
Mid to late would make since as May 18th is supposedly their 2nd deposit deadline.


Haha yeah you sure never have the answers to my questions... I kid :wink: It'll be cool to have something other than UChi to obsess over.

User avatar
MissMaroon
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:01 am

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby MissMaroon » Wed May 06, 2009 7:00 pm

Lisa7n99 wrote:They won't be examining the files until around May 19th when the next round of seat deposits are due. Then you can expect to hear anytime from late May to early June which god I hope not....but hell, what's another month after waiting since October 6th for something definitive? :)

I've been in touch with the office and it seems that there are seats available and probably will be in May. So....keep hope alive.


Fabulous! Thanks!

woopwoop
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:54 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby woopwoop » Thu May 07, 2009 1:55 pm

I'm sure you all have reserved seats elsewhere, and I'm wondering if you'd take Cornell at sticker over the schools to which you've been accepted, which probably have thrown money at you...?

User avatar
MissMaroon
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:01 am

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby MissMaroon » Thu May 07, 2009 2:34 pm

woopwoop wrote:I'm sure you all have reserved seats elsewhere, and I'm wondering if you'd take Cornell at sticker over the schools to which you've been accepted, which probably have thrown money at you...?


No, I would not take Cornell at sticker price. Actually, I doubt I'd take Cornell at all. As of right now, if by some miracle I do get in, I'll visit, but I'm honestly so tied to Chicago that I'm almost positive I'd stick with my $$$ at DePaul and continue to ride the UChicago waitlist.

User avatar
Lisa7n99
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby Lisa7n99 » Thu May 07, 2009 3:57 pm

i actually turned down a lot of money at DePaul and would take Cornell at the sticker price. Its a hefty sum but for what i want to do, i know its the right school for me. if it were just prestige or something more superficial that made me apply however, i would've stuck with a scholarship.

User avatar
MissMaroon
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:01 am

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby MissMaroon » Thu May 07, 2009 4:33 pm

Lisa7n99 wrote:i actually turned down a lot of money at DePaul and would take Cornell at the sticker price. Its a hefty sum but for what i want to do, i know its the right school for me. if it were just prestige or something more superficial that made me apply however, i would've stuck with a scholarship.


As far as Cornell for me, it was just just a random fee waiver haha

User avatar
Lisa7n99
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby Lisa7n99 » Thu May 07, 2009 4:40 pm

don't blame ya :) damn i wish i had a fee waiver esp after being rejected at Northwestern. $100 application fee--ouch!

l'arte d'arrangiarsi
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:14 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby l'arte d'arrangiarsi » Thu May 07, 2009 4:42 pm

I know Cornell is a great law school with a strong int'l and comparative law faculty...places well in NYC...

BUT I really don't know much else about the school.

Particularly those of you who replied that you would go to Cornell at sticker price, please share why you would go to Cornell over the schools you are currently accepted to/committed to.

If I would never consider working in NYC, what are some other factors make Cornell stand out among its peers? (or.. when compared to Michigan and UCLA, where I am also waitlisted). Even for a top 14 school, I am sure there is some regionalism that comes with the degree.

Also, for someone who likes to eat well, how is the COL/ month in Cornell if you live close to campus?

User avatar
Adele
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby Adele » Thu May 07, 2009 4:47 pm

I love everything there is about Cornell and would go there in a heartbeat!! And yes that means i will pay sticker! Loved everything the school has to offer, esp the int'l specialization and a specific professor who is an expert/mini god in the area i want to study. I could go on and on but i rather not bore y'all....Common Cornell love me!!

User avatar
Lisa7n99
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby Lisa7n99 » Thu May 07, 2009 7:14 pm

my entire LOCI was dedicated to why---that why i'd be good for their school. who knows how they are going to pick off reserve i just know its not ranked
Last edited by Lisa7n99 on Sat May 09, 2009 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lizface killah
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:28 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby Lizface killah » Fri May 08, 2009 9:46 am

Hi. I guess I need to crank out an LOCI quickly before they review apps again.

User avatar
animalcrkrs
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:24 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby animalcrkrs » Mon May 18, 2009 7:23 pm

Would it be super-creepy or super-awesome to write a quick email to Cornell saying, heeeyyyy!!! I know today was your deposit deadline...if spots in the class are open, I'm willing and ready to tap that!!!! ;)

Alternative answer is BOTH super-creepy and super-awesome....

User avatar
MissMaroon
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:01 am

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby MissMaroon » Mon May 18, 2009 7:34 pm

animalcrkrs wrote:Would it be super-creepy or super-awesome to write a quick email to Cornell saying, heeeyyyy!!! I know today was your deposit deadline...if spots in the class are open, I'm willing and ready to tap that!!!! ;)

Alternative answer is BOTH super-creepy and super-awesome....


Not gonna lie, I definitely happened to update my file today... 8)

fsohn
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:06 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby fsohn » Tue May 19, 2009 1:32 am

Professor Henderson is the god of the products liability field in torts, and an all-around awesome guy, too. Professor Dorf, though a lot people say he is full of himself, is about as big a hot-shot as any young professor can be. Professor Rachlinski is huge in behavioral studies of law; Professor Summers is THE authority on the UCC. There are a lot of other awesome professors, but they are too many to name, and not just in the international/comparative law area.

m_habib
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:40 am

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby m_habib » Tue May 19, 2009 7:20 am

Adele wrote:I love everything there is about Cornell and would go there in a heartbeat!! And yes that means i will pay sticker! Loved everything the school has to offer, esp the int'l specialization and a specific professor who is an expert/mini god in the area i want to study. I could go on and on but i rather not bore y'all....Common Cornell love me!!

I agree there, I have spent 3 years of my undergrad working with an attorney who specializes in Immigration Appellate work and Cornell's Immigration Appellate Law clinic is what I really want to go there for. Not to mention, Professor Yale-Loehr is one of the best authorities on the topic.

User avatar
MissMaroon
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:01 am

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby MissMaroon » Tue May 19, 2009 11:15 am

Hey, everyone.

I just want to throw this out there:

The Cornell Law admissions office is BY FAR the most incredibly responsive, nice, and helpful one I have come across during this entire cycle. As I mentioned to some of you, I sent an update yesterday because I just got a new job, and I just received an email congratulating me on the opportunity and assuring me that the information has been added to my file for consideration during the re-review. As a lowly "reserved" applicant, I never expected to be treated with so much kindness and personal attention, but this has been the case in EVERY instance of contact with Cornell ever since I applied. I really appreciate it, and even if I ultimately get rejected, I have the utmost respect for this school.

/gushing.

User avatar
ZakD
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:32 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby ZakD » Tue May 19, 2009 11:35 am

MissMaroon wrote:Hey, everyone.

I just want to throw this out there:

The Cornell Law admissions office is BY FAR the most incredibly responsive, nice, and helpful one I have come across during this entire cycle. As I mentioned to some of you, I sent an update yesterday because I just got a new job, and I just received an email congratulating me on the opportunity and assuring me that the information has been added to my file for consideration during the re-review. As a lowly "reserved" applicant, I never expected to be treated with so much kindness and personal attention, but this has been the case in EVERY instance of contact with Cornell ever since I applied. I really appreciate it, and even if I ultimately get rejected, I have the utmost respect for this school.

/gushing.


+1 They deserve all the gushing praise they get.

tvaddicted
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:10 am

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby tvaddicted » Tue May 19, 2009 11:36 am

Since the deadline for the second deposit just passed yesterdat, when do you think they would start making decisions concerning reserve applicants?

rmangel85
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:24 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby rmangel85 » Tue May 19, 2009 11:47 am

JUST spoke with them. They're going to start reviewing reserve candidates end of May/beginning of June. They're anticipating a few open spots *crosses fingers*

schlam
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby schlam » Tue May 19, 2009 11:51 am

fyi- i just withdrew, so hopefully that'll open a spot for one of you!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: beluckycrimson, Christinabruin, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 4 guests