In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
narfkarta
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:40 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby narfkarta » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:53 pm

.
Last edited by narfkarta on Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doxology
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:10 am

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby doxology » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:42 pm

narfkarta wrote:i called and the lady went to check my file and found out that I am currently being reviewed right now, but she could not give me an exact date for a result, said it should be very soon though ...


Same here. I called in this morning, and she told me that they're under review right now and indicated that they should be finished by the end of June. Also told me that people that get placed on the waitlist have an opportunity to interview. Kinda nice to know...

Well, lets just hope the calls start rolling in soon.

As for doing the Craziest Stunt to get in, I suggest going to Ithaca, raising a boombox over your head outside the admissions office, and blasting Peter Gabriel until they love you...

joebucket
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby joebucket » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:43 pm

doxology wrote:As for doing the Craziest Stunt to get in, I suggest going to Ithaca, raising a boombox over your head outside the admissions office, and blasting Peter Gabriel until they love you...



This!

User avatar
let/them/eat/cake
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:44 pm

doxology wrote:
narfkarta wrote:i called and the lady went to check my file and found out that I am currently being reviewed right now, but she could not give me an exact date for a result, said it should be very soon though ...


Same here. I called in this morning, and she told me that they're under review right now and indicated that they should be finished by the end of June. Also told me that people that get placed on the waitlist have an opportunity to interview. Kinda nice to know...

Well, lets just hope the calls start rolling in soon.

As for doing the Craziest Stunt to get in, I suggest going to Ithaca, raising a boombox over your head outside the admissions office, and blasting Peter Gabriel until they love you...


that is fantastic news.

User avatar
sentinal5656
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:54 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby sentinal5656 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:50 pm

meh. my file is not in review yet and wont be until next weekish.

that probably means WL or ding.

User avatar
let/them/eat/cake
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:55 pm

sentinal5656 wrote:meh. my file is not in review yet and wont be until next weekish.

that probably means WL or ding.


i'm not going to even bother asking. it won't change anything.

i emailed last friday towards the end of the day with something along the lines of "know your last deposit just passed, just want to reiterate yadad yada yada i heart gorges". i think that was enough.

joebucket
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby joebucket » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:01 pm

sentinal5656 wrote:meh. my file is not in review yet and wont be until next weekish.

that probably means WL or ding.



I think it really depends what they're doing. Maybe they won't release another round of decisions until after they've reviewed everyone, in which case you're fine.

If you don't mind my asking, what did you ask when you called? Did you just come out and ask if your file had been reviewed by the adcom yet?

User avatar
Tron
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby Tron » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:13 pm

I'm going to go ahead and assume that any notification will not be disclosed via status checker?

NYCWolverine
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby NYCWolverine » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:29 pm

Yup, when i spoke to the admissions office they said email.

Anyways, I have a sneaking suspicion that we wont hear anything for a while. They have told numerous people, myself included, that while reviews are going on, it could go all the way through June (and beyond with the wait list formed from the reserve list).

I hate waiting like this, its killing me. Heres to hoping that my speculation is wrong and we all get in tomorrow :)

User avatar
sentinal5656
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:54 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby sentinal5656 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:14 am

joebucket wrote:
sentinal5656 wrote:meh. my file is not in review yet and wont be until next weekish.

that probably means WL or ding.



I think it really depends what they're doing. Maybe they won't release another round of decisions until after they've reviewed everyone, in which case you're fine.

If you don't mind my asking, what did you ask when you called? Did you just come out and ask if your file had been reviewed by the adcom yet?



i asked what the status of my application was.

User avatar
sentinal5656
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:54 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby sentinal5656 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:14 am

joebucket wrote:
sentinal5656 wrote:meh. my file is not in review yet and wont be until next weekish.

that probably means WL or ding.



I think it really depends what they're doing. Maybe they won't release another round of decisions until after they've reviewed everyone, in which case you're fine.

If you don't mind my asking, what did you ask when you called? Did you just come out and ask if your file had been reviewed by the adcom yet?



i hope your right....

riave
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:58 am

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby riave » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:22 am

NYCWolverine wrote:Yup, when i spoke to the admissions office they said email.

Anyways, I have a sneaking suspicion that we wont hear anything for a while. They have told numerous people, myself included, that while reviews are going on, it could go all the way through June (and beyond with the wait list formed from the reserve list).

I hate waiting like this, its killing me. Heres to hoping that my speculation is wrong and we all get in tomorrow :)

I've been looking at previous cycles on LSN to try to get a clue as to what we can expect. The only cycle with a decent number (more than 1) of people admitted off of the reserve list from 2003 until now was the 2005-2006 one. The profiles for that cycle show that movement on the reserve list started with them sending emails out to those admitted off of reserve on 6/15/2006 (5 total; 4 withdrawing, 1 accepting). Afterwards, there were 2 more acceptances off of what should have been the waitlist ( one in early/mid july and one in early/mid august, both withdrawals). And even for those, the acceptances were sent by email.

What has thrown me off in this cycle was the calling of a batch of applicants two Wednesdays (June 3rd) ago letting them in off of reserve (2/6 or 7 on TLS accepted the offer). I initially thought that this batch of applicants were supposed to be emailed but arbitrarily called instead. I think i was mistaken. I feel like that is not how they normally deal with people on the reserve list. They seemed to let those people in off the list before they planned to re-review reserve applicants. (I called on the wednesday people were called and admitted; i was told i should email in my loci instead of sending it through regular mail because "reserve applicants will be reviewed again very soon")

This leads me to think that not only are there spaces available in the class, but that either 1. their numbers are not where they're supposed to be or 2. they have many more spaces than they anticipated, or maybe even both. I would tend to think the latter, since they've had control all along over the applicants who are admitted in the first place and their mean lsat of 167 isn't too hard of a stat to come by. If either 1 or 2 is the case, it would make sense that they would deviate from their usual/planned course and try to be more proactive in getting competitive applicants before those applicants finalize their decision to go to more attractive schools (NU, uva, mich according to those on tls) as the June 15th deadline approached (remember under normal circumstances, reserve applicants aren't notified until after june 15th).

Final note. I believe there will be a group of reserve applicants accepted this week by email, since that would most mirror the 2005-2006 cycle (when applicants were emailed 15 days to the end of the month). I also think that in the next 2 weeks, rejected and summer waitlisted applicants will be notified by mail. (on last year's cornell reserve forum people got their decisions in mail by end of june)

User avatar
Ali
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:51 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby Ali » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:46 am

When I spoke with the lady yesterday, she said my file was under review at the moment and she didn't have an update for me but I would get a decision by Friday.

User avatar
MissMaroon
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:01 am

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby MissMaroon » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:19 am

riave - I think you're analysis is probably spot-on, and it is greatly appreciated.

Ali - Does that mean you'll be getting a favorable decision via email since snail mail cannot be guaranteed by Friday?...

joebucket
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby joebucket » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:20 am

riave wrote:This leads me to think that not only are there spaces available in the class, but that either 1. their numbers are not where they're supposed to be or 2. they have many more spaces than they anticipated, or maybe even both. I would tend to think the latter, since they've had control all along over the applicants who are admitted in the first place and their mean lsat of 167 isn't too hard of a stat to come by. If either 1 or 2 is the case, it would make sense that they would deviate from their usual/planned course and try to be more proactive in getting competitive applicants before those applicants finalize their decision to go to more attractive schools (NU, uva, mich according to those on tls) as the June 15th deadline approached (remember under normal circumstances, reserve applicants aren't notified until after june 15th).


This all makes sense in the context of a year when applications are up but applicants are not. Perhaps Cornell didn't apply YP measures as obsessively as other schools...

User avatar
Ali
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:51 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby Ali » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:04 pm

MissMaroon wrote:riave - I think you're analysis is probably spot-on, and it is greatly appreciated.

Ali - Does that mean you'll be getting a favorable decision via email since snail mail cannot be guaranteed by Friday?...



I wish it were, however, I live in NY (4 hours away from Cornell)....so maybe not.

User avatar
Lisa7n99
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby Lisa7n99 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:08 pm

Not to throw a wrench in your logic (which seems good to me) but I called the other day and asked, "is the class full at this point?" and the woman said, "it looks pretty full".....however, i must say that she did not sound confident in that and stressed that seats may open up. also, i don't think they'd be taking so long to review if there were not at least some seats available. it seems like it'd be pretty easy and preferable just to reject and develop their wait list quickly so faculty members could move on to other things. i'm interested to hear what people think about this.

my hunch is that the admissions office staff just does not know for sure how many seats are available and cannot really provide much insight into the committee's thoughts at this point.

i may be off on this as i have not done the background research some of you have, but just my 2 cents.

joebucket
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby joebucket » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:23 pm

I love that when this thread vanishes from the TLS homepage, all I have to do to find it is type "Cornell" and "Purgatory" into the forum search. 1st result every time.

Anyway, I called the admissions office to check on my status and they told me that reserve applicants are being reviewed, and that the review is moving along quickly, and that they should have word to us by late this week/early next week.

Now, she didn't mention how any word would reach us, or what it would be (I'll assume it is just an update/the next phase of things) but it looks like something is going to happen in the coming days.

Looking over this, I realize how utterly uninformative this post is. If nothing else, you can use this as a second to the info Ali posted earlier.

kis2009
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby kis2009 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:11 pm

Hi All,

I just withdrew from Cornell this morning. I have a hunch that while they may be "pretty full" the reason they are unsure is that the multiple seat deposit list just went out from LSAC and they are calling applicants who are double committed asking them to make a decision now -- they called me yesterday and asked me to make a decision by the end of the day. Good luck!

User avatar
Ali
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:51 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby Ali » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:14 pm

kis2009 wrote:Hi All,

I just withdrew from Cornell this morning. I have a hunch that while they may be "pretty full" the reason they are unsure is that the multiple seat deposit list just went out from LSAC and they are calling applicants who are double committed asking them to make a decision now -- they called me yesterday and asked me to make a decision by the end of the day. Good luck!


kis2009,

Thank you for withdrawing... :wink:
Good luck with your other choice.

joebucket
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby joebucket » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:28 pm

riave wrote:What has thrown me off in this cycle was the calling of a batch of applicants two Wednesdays (June 3rd) ago letting them in off of reserve (2/6 or 7 on TLS accepted the offer).



I was thinking about this in light of what Lisa said - that they wouldn't be taking so long to review if there weren't at least some seats available. I think we can assume that when they let people in on June 3rd, they offered admission to as many people as there were seats available. That said, if the the 4 or 5 people on TLS that said they were declining the offer actually ended up doing so (and there's no reason to doubt their sincerity), and let's, for the sake of argument, throw in kis2009 since we know that opens up one more spot, you have at least 5 spots open.

Now, they could just leave it at that if they were ultimately satisfied with the size of the class and then just form a waitlist out of the reserves and release the rest of us. However, they would be giving up at least $245,000 in operating revenue for this fiscal year, and $735,000 over the next three years. If we assume the high end of TLSers that turned down the admission offer from June 3rd, those numbers jump up to $294,000 and $882,000, respectively.

In short, I don't think we have to worry. More offers of admission are coming.

doxology
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:10 am

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby doxology » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:32 pm

kis2009 wrote:Hi All,

I just withdrew from Cornell this morning. I have a hunch that while they may be "pretty full" the reason they are unsure is that the multiple seat deposit list just went out from LSAC and they are calling applicants who are double committed asking them to make a decision now -- they called me yesterday and asked me to make a decision by the end of the day. Good luck!


Wow, end of the day to make a decision? Sounds like they're pretty serious about nailing down their numbers. Maybe they'll just start calling the reserve list applicants, tell them they're accepted and demand an answer immediately. Those who hesitate lose their spot :twisted:

joebucket
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby joebucket » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:34 pm

doxology wrote:Those who hesitate lose their spot :twisted:


I'd be doomed - they'd note my stunned, ecstatic silence and quickly say "you lose!"

User avatar
Lisa7n99
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby Lisa7n99 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:38 pm

i'm hoping for a wait list, but with all sincerity, wish you guys luck. whoever gets in deserves it that's for sure.

i plan on working another year and reapplying next year if i do not get in and blanketing the top schools that fit me. here's a topic for conversation: do you think making the wait list this year would help your chances next year? or would you essentially be starting over with no particular advantage?

riave
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:58 am

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby riave » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:50 pm

Lisa7n99 wrote:i'm hoping for a wait list, but with all sincerity, wish you guys luck. whoever gets in deserves it that's for sure.

i plan on working another year and reapplying next year if i do not get in and blanketing the top schools that fit me. here's a topic for conversation: do you think making the wait list this year would help your chances next year? or would you essentially be starting over with no particular advantage? all i know for next year is that I am NOT applying ED no matter how impatient i am. i'm also spending this summer on LSAT prep and hoping for even a slight increase in score next year.

if i get waitlisted, i'll reapply again next year since i applied near the application deadline this cycle and didn't go complete until sometime after. I'll probably put my app in on sept. 1st.

if i don't get waitlisted i'll probably take the lsat again.

oh yeah, i remember them someone on here saying that those on wailtlist may have the option to interview. wonder if that could affect things during the next cycle...though i kinda don't see what they could learn from an interview that they already don't know by reading our application files.
Last edited by riave on Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ashrice13, Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot] and 7 guests