In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
joebucket

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Postby joebucket » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:08 pm

Lizface killah wrote:
joebucket wrote:
sentinal5656 wrote:i sent in a LOCI. I bet thats not enough. :(

Seriously though, what are we supposed to do? Bake them cookies? Make a photo collage of our hopes and dreams?

Anyway, I thought we were on reserve because we didn't stand out enough in the first place. If LOCIs and LORs aren't enough, those of us that are post UG are screwed.

Drop everything and drive to Ithaca. I highly reccomend it.

yeah, but you didn't even go up there until after you get off reserve, right?

rmangel85

Postby rmangel85 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:08 pm

this is kind of weird.. i called them this morning and they said they havent started reviewing reserve at all but will very soon and we should expect to hear from them by the end of the month.. i thought people got off the reserve already though..

Lizface killah

Postby Lizface killah » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:09 pm

joebucket wrote:
Lizface killah wrote:
joebucket wrote:

Seriously though, what are we supposed to do? Bake them cookies? Make a photo collage of our hopes and dreams?

Anyway, I thought we were on reserve because we didn't stand out enough in the first place. If LOCIs and LORs aren't enough, those of us that are post UG are screwed.

yeah, but you didn't even go up there until after you get off reserve, right?

Truth but I had to do it over the weekend so they didn't know I visited until I told them.

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:09 pm

Lizface killah wrote:
joebucket wrote:

Seriously?

sucks i have a job, a budget, and responsibilities. but i guess you are right. i'm arguing out of frustration.

Lisa7n99

Postby Lisa7n99 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:10 pm

I really think LOCIs will be enough. I'm also glad there are people on this site who are not straight out of UG because I have felt the same frustration in terms of no new grades, no real news other than earning a living the way I always have, etc. Even though everyone on this message board seems to have submitted LOCIs, there have got to be quiet a few reserve files where no or very little follow up effort was made. So, here's hoping ours get pulled before those files.

Lizface killah

Postby Lizface killah » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:10 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
Lizface killah wrote:
joebucket wrote:

Seriously?

sucks i have a job, a budget, and responsibilities. but i guess you are right. i'm arguing out of frustration.

I have all of the above too.

joebucket

Postby joebucket » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:11 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
Lizface killah wrote:
joebucket wrote:

Seriously?

+1

tvaddicted

Postby tvaddicted » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:13 pm

If Ithace were Houston or Austin, I would definitely drive there over the weekend...but being so far away sucks.

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:13 pm

Lizface killah wrote:
let/them/eat/cake wrote:
Lizface killah wrote:

Seriously?

I have all of the above too.[/quote]

i wasn't being sarcastic--i know you're probably right and that it would have been a good idea. i kept telling myself it wasn't necessary. i am, indeed, arguing out of frustration lol

Lisa7n99

Postby Lisa7n99 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:18 pm

I visited in January and took a long tour with the Associate Dean of admissions, also sat in on two classes. then, sent a thank you letter. all to get held again!

but, i do think it was very difficult. i had to fly out from the southwest (took 3 different planes one way!!), and take two days off of work during a very busy time. that's not easy for a lot of people, especially if you have a family. so dropping everything is not as easy as it sounds---and can be really expensive to boot.

good luck to everyone. the woman on the phone said specifically they were putting the files together and sending some over today.

Ali

Postby Ali » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:43 pm

Lizface killah wrote:
joebucket wrote:

What did you do while you were there?
Who did you talk to?

mbw

Postby mbw » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:57 pm

Here's my $.02 (if it's worth even that, and probably not. :) )

Cornell admissions department is assessing the class as it currently stands (now that deposit deadlines have passed) and are looking to fill demographic, and other less tangible, gaps. If you will fill one of those gaps, it doesn't matter whether you sent in one LOCI or five, you'll be pulled off the reserve list and offered admission. I say this as someone who messed up in the Cornell admissions process any number of times, and was still given more time and opportunity to decide whether to attend than frankly I deserved. It wasn't my numbers or softs or LORs - Cornell had a vision of what they wanted for the class of 2012, and I, most fortunately, fit into that somehow.

Right now, Cornell could find that it's overloaded with East Coasters and lacking in PlainsStaters. Or far more women than men have deposited. It could have far too many philosophy majors and not enough economists. I don't think, at this point, it reflects upon the qualifications of those applicants on reserve (unless, of course, medians are too low,) but upon the plans and vision of Cornell. Frankly, it's probably out of your hands in many ways. Good luck to everyone, though. Hopefully it will all work out for the best, whether here or elsewhere.

Lisa7n99

Postby Lisa7n99 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:01 pm

Thanks mbw----that's a good perspective to take on it.

NYCWolverine

Postby NYCWolverine » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:18 pm

mbw wrote:Here's my $.02 (if it's worth even that, and probably not. :) )

Cornell admissions department is assessing the class as it currently stands (now that deposit deadlines have passed) and are looking to fill demographic, and other less tangible, gaps. If you will fill one of those gaps, it doesn't matter whether you sent in one LOCI or five, you'll be pulled off the reserve list and offered admission. I say this as someone who messed up in the Cornell admissions process any number of times, and was still given more time and opportunity to decide whether to attend than frankly I deserved. It wasn't my numbers or softs or LORs - Cornell had a vision of what they wanted for the class of 2012, and I, most fortunately, fit into that somehow.

Right now, Cornell could find that it's overloaded with East Coasters and lacking in PlainsStaters. Or far more women than men have deposited. It could have far too many philosophy majors and not enough economists. I don't think, at this point, it reflects upon the qualifications of those applicants on reserve (unless, of course, medians are too low,) but upon the plans and vision of Cornell. Frankly, it's probably out of your hands in many ways. Good luck to everyone, though. Hopefully it will all work out for the best, whether here or elsewhere.

100% right on. Thats why they have this protracted process. I think that it sucks for all of us anxiously waiting but its good for the school and for the incoming class as a whole...ohh well lets all hope that we are in the needed demographic, whatever that may be. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!

narfkarta

Postby narfkarta » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:37 pm

Last edited by narfkarta on Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lisa7n99

Postby Lisa7n99 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:44 pm

maybe we talked to different people. that's what the woman i talked to told me.

narfkarta

Postby narfkarta » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:49 pm

Last edited by narfkarta on Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lisa7n99

Postby Lisa7n99 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:55 pm

that's what i figure too. i did call early. man, those of who do make it in need to start a Cornell Law club dedicated for people who waited 6 months or more for a decision......

Lizface killah

Postby Lizface killah » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:59 pm

Ali wrote:
Lizface killah wrote:
joebucket wrote:

What did you do while you were there?
Who did you talk to?

I didn't get to speak with anyone because it was the weekend. I wandered around the campus, checked out college town, and tried to get a feel for the place.
Last edited by Lizface killah on Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tvaddicted

Postby tvaddicted » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:59 pm

Lisa7n99 wrote:that's what i figure too. i did call early. man, those of who do make it in need to start a Cornell Law club dedicated for people who waited 6 months or more for a decision......

good idea haha...i cant believe we have been waiting for longer than half a year.

matt386

Postby matt386 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:29 pm

Just so everyone knows, I got in off reserve last week but I have until this Friday to pay my deposit. So that could be part of the reason why there hasn't been any major changes in the size of the facebook group as some people going off reserve may not have paid their deposits as of yet.

joebucket

Postby joebucket » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:30 pm

matt386 wrote:Just so everyone knows, I got in off reserve last week but I have until this Friday to pay my deposit. So that could be part of the reason why there hasn't been any major changes in the size of the facebook group as some people going off reserve may not have paid their deposits as of yet.

Are you going to attend?

ddp

Postby ddp » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:32 pm

mbw wrote:Here's my $.02 (if it's worth even that, and probably not. :) )

I think this is a great way to look at the wait list process in general.

matt386

Postby matt386 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:37 pm

joebucket wrote:
matt386 wrote:Just so everyone knows, I got in off reserve last week but I have until this Friday to pay my deposit. So that could be part of the reason why there hasn't been any major changes in the size of the facebook group as some people going off reserve may not have paid their deposits as of yet.

Are you going to attend?

I visited over the weekend and was really impressed, and I also received a generous scholarship award too. At this point though, I'm not sure because I have a few other great options as well, but I'm leaning toward taking it and seeing how my other waitlists play out.

narfkarta

Postby narfkarta » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:39 pm

Last edited by narfkarta on Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”