In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
animalcrkrs

Bronze

In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Post by animalcrkrs » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:45 am

Thought it would be useful to start a thread for those in the same boat...
Just found out I am on Cornell's 'Reserve' List, to be re-reviewed in mid to late May--after being EA deferred back in December and submitting my app in early October...sheesh.

I've heard this is essentially a 'pre-waitlist' list. (Why not just waitlist us now?)
Anyone able to shed more light on this situation from past cycles or experiences?

Anyone got this "non-decision" decision and decided to withdraw rather than put up with the wait?

pace

New

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Post by pace » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:46 am

When/how did you find out? Did your status checker change?

animalcrkrs

Bronze

Post by animalcrkrs » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:48 am

EA deferred back in Dec., status checker went BACK to EA-Complete early last week and to decision again on status checker last Friday (letter sent out earlier than that)
Details from others in the EA- Deferred @ Cornell thread http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =7&t=60074 though not all on reserve and prob not all have received decisions yet.

MissMaroon

Bronze

Post by MissMaroon » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:48 am

Good thread. I'm on reserve too.

I'm thinking that since I have yet to crack the T-14, I have nothing to lose by staying on this list.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:55 am

i withdrew last week after finding out i was put on reserve (since you can't defer an acceptance from the reserve, it was the same as a rejection to me :( ), but good luck to you all!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jigga-hjalmar

New

Post by jigga-hjalmar » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:55 am

I'm on reserve as well. What good does it do me to have them hold my file and review it again in mid-May (after deposits are due elsewhere)? How is this different from a waitlist?

animalcrkrs

Bronze

Post by animalcrkrs » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:57 am

jigga-hjalmar wrote:I'm on reserve as well. What good does it do me to have them hold my file and review it again in mid-May (after deposits are due elsewhere)? How is this different from a waitlist?
I don't know, it's not like they aren't already waitlisting people on LSN...maybe this is like 'priority waitlist' at GULC?

DaveDude

New

Post by DaveDude » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:00 am

I think being put on reserve is the same as being waitlisted. Has anyone received notice from Cornell that is different from Accept/Reserve/Rejection?

It is a nice waitlist letter though.

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:02 am

I guess it's technically better than being on the WL because people on reserve still have a shot of getting in before the 'actual', final waitlist is codified before the summer. whereas, if you're on the Waitlist now, you're going to be on it for what is most likely going to be a long, long period of time with no decision.

that's my understanding anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:02 am

animalcrkrs wrote:
jigga-hjalmar wrote:I'm on reserve as well. What good does it do me to have them hold my file and review it again in mid-May (after deposits are due elsewhere)? How is this different from a waitlist?
I don't know, it's not like they aren't already waitlisting people on LSN...maybe this is like 'priority waitlist' at GULC?
well there's no option for "reserve" on LSN so maybe those "waitlists" are in fact reserves? my impression is that you can be put on reserve and not placed on the waitlist/rejected in may...that is, they don't put the waitlist together until may....
Last edited by najumobi on Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

animalcrkrs

Bronze

Post by animalcrkrs » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:03 am

IDK, are there people who are actually on waitlist? Dave, was your decision an actual 'waitlist'? or did you get the 'we will review you again in May' line too?

DaveDude

New

Post by DaveDude » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:08 am

I was put on 'reserve'. But really, it's effectively the same as being waitlisted, i.e., you're qualified but we don't know if we have space for you.

Based on LSN stats, it looks like Cornell doesn't waitlist too liberally though, so my bet is that at least some people on reserve will get in.

kiwislug

Bronze

Post by kiwislug » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:13 am

yep reserve here too. I feel like the reserve list is really large...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SmittyLaw

New

Post by SmittyLaw » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:14 am

Reserve here too.

It's huge. I'm not gonna even give myself hope on getting off of it.

sba314

New

Post by sba314 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:53 pm

+1

udlordly

New

Post by udlordly » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:57 pm

I think that all of the waitlists on LSN are actually. The way the cornell letter was worded, I don't think they've made an official waitlist yet.

Pnut

New

Post by Pnut » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:42 pm

A part of me still remains hopeful. But I know this list is going to be a long one. Is anyone going to hold out? Or are you going to be like me and put money down on another school in case this thing doesn't work out?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cougarlive

Bronze

Post by cougarlive » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:48 pm

f0bolous wrote:i withdrew last week after finding out i was put on reserve (since you can't defer an acceptance from the reserve, it was the same as a rejection to me :( ), but good luck to you all!!

Hey F0bolous, just wondering how you found that out about not being able to defer?

Also on the "reserve". I was up there late march for a campus visit, and one of the kind ladies from the admissions office told me that last year no one got in off of a reserve. :shock: Here's to hoping this year there is a little more movement on the reserve list.

P.S. I think the "waitlists" on LSN are probably people who are actually on "reserve" (as in my case).

animalcrkrs

Bronze

Post by animalcrkrs » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:55 pm

cougarlive wrote: I was up there late march for a campus visit, and one of the kind ladies from the admissions office told me that last year no one got in off of a reserve. :shock: Here's to hoping this year there is a little more movement on the reserve list.
GULP. This blows.

ZakD

New

Post by ZakD » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:03 pm

animalcrkrs wrote:
cougarlive wrote: I was up there late march for a campus visit, and one of the kind ladies from the admissions office told me that last year no one got in off of a reserve. :shock: Here's to hoping this year there is a little more movement on the reserve list.
GULP. This blows.

I hate internet forums. I was trying to figure out what the acronym "G-U-L-P" stood for before it dawned on me. Bleh. But yea, that's bad news about the reserve list.

sba314

New

Post by sba314 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:12 pm

damnit damnit damnit

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DaveDude

New

Post by DaveDude » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:27 pm

animalcrkrs wrote:
GULP. This blows.
They didn't take anyone last year because they overenrolled. They have every reason to be extra cautious this year and rely on their reserve list to round out the rest of the class, so, stay positive.

Lisa7n99

New

Post by Lisa7n99 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:31 pm

Last edited by Lisa7n99 on Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:57 pm

reserve here too. list seems to be huge since TLS doesnt represent the whole population

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:01 pm

I hope you'll enjoy your stay in Waitlist Purgatory with the rest of us. Take a number and have a seat over by the manila envelope stapled to the beige wall. If you get thirsty, help yourself to some lukewarm water.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”