In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
joebucket

New

Re: In decision purgatory... Cornell 'Reserve' List

Post by joebucket » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:51 pm

Lisa7n99 wrote:i'm hoping for a wait list, but with all sincerity, wish you guys luck. whoever gets in deserves it that's for sure.

i plan on working another year and reapplying next year if i do not get in and blanketing the top schools that fit me. here's a topic for conversation: do you think making the wait list this year would help your chances next year? or would you essentially be starting over with no particular advantage? all i know for next year is that I am NOT applying ED no matter how impatient i am. i'm also spending this summer on LSAT prep and hoping for even a slight increase in score next year.

I don't see how it could hurt, but it's unclear what potential value it would have. I think it would show that you're very much committed to Cornell or at the very least challenging yourself by attending a top institution, and if your LSAT did increase I think it would show that you're not willing to settle, but rather you're determined to work hard and better yourself. In that sense, I can see it being a character booster, in which case, be sure to do the "Why Cornell" essay. Other than that though, I don't think it necessarily gives you a leg up; I certainly don't think there's a pile of "past WL'ers that get preferential treatment."
Last edited by joebucket on Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ali

New

Post by Ali » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:52 pm

Lisa7n99 wrote:i'm hoping for a wait list, but with all sincerity, wish you guys luck. whoever gets in deserves it that's for sure.

i plan on working another year and reapplying next year if i do not get in and blanketing the top schools that fit me. here's a topic for conversation: do you think making the wait list this year would help your chances next year? or would you essentially be starting over with no particular advantage?
unless they significantly change their criteria/medians for next year, then I would say you have a good chance if you were wait listed this year. They wouldn't place someone on the wait list who isn't decent enough to be in their class. Although if you were to apply again next year, you should show that you've done something since your last cycle. I do believe applying earlier would also increase your chances somewhat.

kis2009

New

Post by kis2009 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:55 pm

doxology wrote:Wow, end of the day to make a decision? Sounds like they're pretty serious about nailing down their numbers
I wouldn't worry about the end of the day thing..they accepted me a few weeks ago, gave me about a week to decide (I was never waitlisted and it took them almost 4 months to get back to me with a response at all). They only gave me until the end of the day once the LSAC report came out, I had e-mailed them about their official policy on multiple seat deposits and they had already told me pretty much the same thing: that when the report came out they would start calling people who did have more than one deposit in and asking them to decide at that time.

joebucket

New

Post by joebucket » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:57 pm

kis2009 wrote:
doxology wrote:Wow, end of the day to make a decision? Sounds like they're pretty serious about nailing down their numbers
I wouldn't worry about the end of the day thing..they accepted me a few weeks ago, gave me about a week to decide (I was never waitlisted and it took them almost 4 months to get back to me with a response at all). They only gave me until the end of the day once the LSAC report came out, I had e-mailed them about their official policy on multiple seat deposits and they had already told me pretty much the same thing: that when the report came out they would start calling people who did have more than one deposit in and asking them to decide at that time.

Did you get a sense of how many people they have double deposited? A lot? A few? Couldn't tell?

riave

New

Post by riave » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:58 pm

joebucket wrote: I certainly don't think there's a pile of "past WL'ers that get preferential treatment."
i don't think there would be too many students to begin with who were summer waitlisted and are applying again, if just 175 people were put on reserve, and then subtract from that people withdrawing to go to other schools and people rejected off of reserve, and then the summer waitlist people deciding to go to other law schools they got into that same cycle...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

joebucket

New

Post by joebucket » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:59 pm

riave wrote:
joebucket wrote: I certainly don't think there's a pile of "past WL'ers that get preferential treatment."
i don't think there would be too many students to begin with who were summer waitlisted and are applying again, if just 175 people were put on reserve, and then subtract from that people withdrawing to go to other schools and people rejected off of reserve, and then the summer waitlist people deciding to go to other law schools they got into that same cycle...

Very good point.

kis2009

New

Post by kis2009 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:09 pm

joebucket wrote:Did you get a sense of how many people they have double deposited? A lot? A few? Couldn't tell?
No clue. She called me at 8:30 am west coast time, and asked me to decide right there. I told her I was waiting on financial aid from another school and could I let her know in a few hours. She asked if I could let her know by the end of the day and I told her I would. She never checked back in with me and I let her know this morning through an email (to which I got a prompt "Good luck with the rest of your life" email). My last name's at the beginning of the alphabet but who really knows what their order is I guess. It didn't seem like it was the first call she'd made regarding a double deposit, though. It sounded like she'd recited the same speech a few times..

joebucket

New

Post by joebucket » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:10 pm

kis2009 wrote:
joebucket wrote:Did you get a sense of how many people they have double deposited? A lot? A few? Couldn't tell?
No clue. She called me at 8:30 am west coast time, and asked me to decide right there. I told her I was waiting on financial aid from another school and could I let her know in a few hours. She asked if I could let her know by the end of the day and I told her I would. She never checked back in with me and I let her know this morning through an email (to which I got a prompt "Good luck with the rest of your life" email). My last name's at the beginning of the alphabet but who really knows what their order is I guess. It didn't seem like it was the first call she'd made regarding a double deposit, though. It sounded like she'd recited the same speech a few times..

Cool. Thanks for the insight.

EDIT: and also, best of luck to you - law school, life, you name it. All the best.

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:37 pm

I hope they review all reserve applicants before making any decisionssssss...........

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Adele

New

Post by Adele » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:16 pm

Well I've tried to stay away from this board the past couple of days, Im so sick of all this anxiety! We're supposed to be enjoying our summers for goodness sake! :(
Anyways after reading everybody comments I gave them a call asking to "check the status of my file" and to see if an extra LOR that was sent weeks ago was added to my file...she replied couldn't check because my file was with the committee and that I should call back Friday and a decision will be given to me over the phone. Don't know what this means but safe to say the anxiety is back....:(
Thoughts?

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:57 pm

Adele wrote:Well I've tried to stay away from this board the past couple of days, Im so sick of all this anxiety! We're supposed to be enjoying our summers for goodness sake! :(
Anyways after reading everybody comments I gave them a call asking to "check the status of my file" and to see if an extra LOR that was sent weeks ago was added to my file...she replied couldn't check because my file was with the committee and that I should call back Friday and a decision will be given to me over the phone. Don't know what this means but safe to say the anxiety is back....:(
Thoughts?
Decision in terms of accept/reject or WL?

jrod

New

Post by jrod » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:24 pm

Methinks that they will now be flooded with more than a few Friday TLS calls.

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:36 pm

consider yourself lucky. I would love to get a decision by friday. I am not even being reviewed until after that date which means I have a smaller chance. :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Adele

New

Post by Adele » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:43 am

Meeehh I don't know....I pray its good news but Im ready to get this over with. I was going to re-apply next year if I didn't get in but now I think I might just go to my 2nd choice since Im not gunning for Big Law or anything close....oh well we shall see on Friday! Good luck everyone!

riave

New

Post by riave » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:51 am

Adele wrote:Meeehh I don't know....I pray its good news but Im ready to get this over with. I was going to re-apply next year if I didn't get in but now I think I might just go to my 2nd choice since Im not gunning for Big Law or anything close....oh well we shall see on Friday! Good luck everyone!
hey has your status checker changed in any way?

MissMaroon

Bronze

Post by MissMaroon » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:14 am

Hey....... So I just logged into my status checker and it now says "complete" instead of "decision." When I called last week, they told me my file was being reviewed... I guess they weren't lying! Haha, here we go :)

joebucket

New

Post by joebucket » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:21 am

MissMaroon wrote:Hey....... So I just logged into my status checker and it now says "complete" instead of "decision." When I called last week, they told me my file was being reviewed... I guess they weren't lying! Haha, here we go :)
Does it mention the date it changed? When I called yesterday they said my application had been sent to the committee, but so far there's been no change to my status checker.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tron

New

Post by Tron » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:31 am

Called today, they said I'm under review and they should have decisions by tommorow afternoon. Hopefully they show a dude some love.

joebucket

New

Post by joebucket » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:33 am

Tron wrote:Called today, they said I'm under review and they should have decisions by tommorow afternoon. Hopefully they show a dude some love.

Did they ask you to call back or let you know how applicants would be notified?

Tron

New

Post by Tron » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:40 am

joebucket wrote:
Tron wrote:Called today, they said I'm under review and they should have decisions by tommorow afternoon. Hopefully they show a dude some love.

Did they ask you to call back or let you know how applicants would be notified?
They said that I could call back and that they would tell me over the phone (hopefully theyll call me first) Regardless, best of luck to everyone.

MissMaroon

Bronze

Post by MissMaroon » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:13 pm

joebucket wrote:
MissMaroon wrote:Hey....... So I just logged into my status checker and it now says "complete" instead of "decision." When I called last week, they told me my file was being reviewed... I guess they weren't lying! Haha, here we go :)
Does it mention the date it changed? When I called yesterday they said my application had been sent to the committee, but so far there's been no change to my status checker.
No, the complete date is the same that it was originally - 2/25/09.

I'm guessing we're all either getting waitlisted or rejected at this point, since we'll all be notified by tomorrow afternoon...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Skyfly1769

New

Post by Skyfly1769 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:22 pm

MissMaroon wrote: I'm guessing we're all either getting waitlisted or rejected at this point, since we'll all be notified by tomorrow afternoon...
I don't get your logic here. Why do you think so?

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:26 pm

Skyfly1769 wrote:
MissMaroon wrote: I'm guessing we're all either getting waitlisted or rejected at this point, since we'll all be notified by tomorrow afternoon...

ouchhhhhh

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:27 pm

Skyfly1769 wrote:
Let's not get Egg all glittered up before easter now....

Tron

New

Post by Tron » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:33 pm

I'm guessing we're all either getting waitlisted or rejected at this point, since we'll all be notified by tomorrow afternoon...[/quote]

I don't buy it. There are still reserve applicants who haven't been reviewed yet -- perhaps I wasn't clear...only those being reviewed will hear tomorrow. Maybe its naivety but from what I've been reading it sounds like there are a few spots left. If not...to quote someone from the "in at cornell" thread

"tell em why you mad son"

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”