William and Mary, -Graduate Fellowship program?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dark

William and Mary, -Graduate Fellowship program?

Postby dark » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:25 pm

Sorry if there's already a topic for W+M. I scanned the first few pages of this forum and didn't notice one.

At any rate, I heard from W+M a few weeks ago. They offered a very attractive financial package if I choose to accept their offer of a "graduate fellowship." Which involves doing extra research, extra work, extra classes, and maintaining a high GPA.

I wanted to ask if anyone else got this offer, or knows of anyone who is a graduate fellow at W+M. Its a very attractive offer on paper, but I want to hear from someone who has some experience with the program. I've heard terrible rumors of law schools (no specific ones) putting competitive scholarship holders into the same section so that the curve may knock a few people out.

bulldog4574

Re: William and Mary, -Graduate Fellowship program?

Postby bulldog4574 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:30 pm

if you got that offer you probably got into some better schools, so why not go to one those schools? i got the offer too but theres now way im passing up the t14 for W&M though i do like the school

galahad85

Postby galahad85 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:38 pm

Yeah, I got that offer too (plus a separate merit scholarship). It does look good on paper, but I find it disappointing that I'll have to do what basically amounts to work-study, when other (higher-ranked) schools have given me more $$$ with no such requirement.

dark

Postby dark » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:38 pm

bulldog4574 wrote:if you got that offer you probably got into some better schools, so why not go to one those schools? i got the offer too but theres now way im passing up the t14 for W&M though i do like the school

I'm waitlisted everywhere from the top 20 down. I've only gotten three actual acceptances, UWA, W+M and BC. Right now the money is definitely factoring into my decision, but hopefully I'll be moving off the waitlist for one of my top 14 choices.

SmartCookie

Postby SmartCookie » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:25 pm

I've actually been curious about W&M fellowships- I've been accepted but with no $; it was my reach school so I'm psyched about the acceptance but am hoping that some money might come through.

Are the fellowships you guys have been offered attached to any specific program? Meaning, did you write the optional essay on the application and apply for election law, con law, etc? Or does the offer explain what the grad research entails? I'm wondering... because I applied for one of those fellowships and was told that it's still possible for me to get it if it's turned down by another student. Just wondering!

galahad85

Postby galahad85 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:30 pm

SmartCookie wrote:I've actually been curious about W&M fellowships- I've been accepted but with no $; it was my reach school so I'm psyched about the acceptance but am hoping that some money might come through.

Are the fellowships you guys have been offered attached to any specific program? Meaning, did you write the optional essay on the application and apply for election law, con law, etc? Or does the offer explain what the grad research entails? I'm wondering... because I applied for one of those fellowships and was told that it's still possible for me to get it if it's turned down by another student. Just wondering!

Nah, the graduate fellowship is different. It basically covers the difference between out-of-state and in-state tuition, plus a $4000 stipend. There was no extra application/essay for this one.

braun223

Postby braun223 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:38 pm

Is anyone going to try and negotiate for more money in addition to the fellowship?

Avocat Blanc

Postby Avocat Blanc » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:04 pm

braun223 wrote:Is anyone going to try and negotiate for more money in addition to the fellowship?

Probably will try but I'm not guessing it will be successful. Anyone been successful with negotiating with them in general? I haven't read any tls examples there yet.

hornets34

Postby hornets34 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:13 pm

If you were going to negotiate, would you use a money offer at a slightly higher ranked school (24-26), or a plain old acceptance at a few spots higher ranked school (20-22)? I've thought about talking to someone when I go down there to visit about increasing the package, but I don't know how much either of the two above are going to persuade them.

Avocat Blanc

Postby Avocat Blanc » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:36 pm

Thanks, edited for double post.
Last edited by Avocat Blanc on Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SamSeaborn2016

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:49 pm

There is another poster, Fly, who is a current W&M 1L. He would probably be able to answer your questions best. He has a 1L at William and Mary thread going.

texas08

Postby texas08 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:10 pm

I received the Graduate Fellowship also. I e-mailed inquiring about additional scholarship opportunities (not really a negotiation, per se) and was told that basically the only additional aid that would be offered would be financial aid (i.e. loans, grants, etc after FAFSA's are completed).

Unadilla Kayaker

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:05 pm

I posted on this year's main thread as well, but I'm desperate for info on the graduate fellowship. I was awarded one but will not get the information before April 1st when I need it. If someone has info about the general fellowship info that they got I would appreciate you PMing the info. Thanks!

dudders

Postby dudders » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:28 pm

At ASW, they said all schollys and graduate fellowships have been awarded as of March 27. Funds will only become available if students who receive either withdraw.

I was bummed to hear that because I got $10k/year merit scholarship but I'm also out-of-state and was hoping to negotiate my way into a graduate fellowship.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”