decision at duke

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Kat86
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:16 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby Kat86 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:32 pm

Do you think all of the emails would have gone out at once or would they be staggered?

LittleJenn
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:40 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby LittleJenn » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:51 pm

sjp08 wrote:
alleycat3 wrote:Huh. After all the disparaging of Duke I have done for the last few days... I got an email (6:57 EST) welcoming me to Duke. I hope everyone else who changed to Decision on 2/17 has similar good news waiting for them!


Also just got in! I never really had the intention of going (applied because of a fee waiver) but it's still exciting! PS I was in the 2/17 batch.



All my hope has been restored... alas, no email. Congrats, though! I'm jealous- I'd be extremely happy to go to duke.

secondshiaprince
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:03 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby secondshiaprince » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:04 pm

LittleJenn, do you have amazing softs? You got into Cornell with a 166? I know a 3.8 will be a lot more help than my 3.58 but, that's pretty great that you got in there.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby 20160810 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:05 pm

No email :|

User avatar
buckeyefan3
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:27 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby buckeyefan3 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:06 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:No email :|


+1

User avatar
summertimechi
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:45 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby summertimechi » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:07 pm

buckeyefan3 wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:No email :|


+1

+ another 1. But i didn't wanna go to duke anyway.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby 20160810 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:09 pm

summertimechi wrote:
buckeyefan3 wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:No email :|


+1

+ another 1. But i didn't wanna go to duke anyway.


It looks like we're hosed. Oh well, it was a reach w/a fee waiver anyway.

LittleJenn
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:40 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby LittleJenn » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:21 pm

secondshiaprince wrote:LittleJenn, do you have amazing softs? You got into Cornell with a 166? I know a 3.8 will be a lot more help than my 3.58 but, that's pretty great that you got in there.



I think my softs are pretty good, not great...just internships and research and the like. Well, maybe Cornell thinks they're amazing, but Vandy/ UVA/ Duke don't. However, I do have a pretty specific motivation for going to law school and that's played out in my ps, softs, LOR's. I'm excited about Cornell, but I want to do PI/ government work, so the debt is extremely terrifying. As is moving away from my SO.

secondshiaprince
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:03 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby secondshiaprince » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:26 pm

LittleJenn wrote:
secondshiaprince wrote:LittleJenn, do you have amazing softs? You got into Cornell with a 166? I know a 3.8 will be a lot more help than my 3.58 but, that's pretty great that you got in there.



I think my softs are pretty good, not great...just internships and research and the like. Well, maybe Cornell thinks they're amazing, but Vandy/ UVA/ Duke don't. However, I do have a pretty specific motivation for going to law school and that's played out in my ps, softs, LOR's. I'm excited about Cornell, but I want to do PI/ government work, so the debt is extremely terrifying. As is moving away from my SO.


Well, a post-Cornell law salary can entice just about anyone to follow... but, if you don't like that just tell them to give it to me. I didn't even apply but I'd take it.

LittleJenn
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:40 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby LittleJenn » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:35 pm

secondshiaprince wrote:
LittleJenn wrote:
secondshiaprince wrote:LittleJenn, do you have amazing softs? You got into Cornell with a 166? I know a 3.8 will be a lot more help than my 3.58 but, that's pretty great that you got in there.



I think my softs are pretty good, not great...just internships and research and the like. Well, maybe Cornell thinks they're amazing, but Vandy/ UVA/ Duke don't. However, I do have a pretty specific motivation for going to law school and that's played out in my ps, softs, LOR's. I'm excited about Cornell, but I want to do PI/ government work, so the debt is extremely terrifying. As is moving away from my SO.


Well, a post-Cornell law salary can entice just about anyone to follow... but, if you don't like that just tell them to give it to me. I didn't even apply but I'd take it.



Ahh... if only environmental law were lucrative...I think I'd have to work for some firm defending chemical companies against toxic tort claims from cancer-ridden five year olds if I took on that much debt. :shock: Why did you decide not to apply to Cornell? They seem to be the least LSAT obsessed of the t14.

secondshiaprince
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:03 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby secondshiaprince » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:43 pm

LittleJenn wrote:Ahh... if only environmental law were lucrative...I think I'd have to work for some firm defending chemical companies against toxic tort claims from cancer-ridden five year olds if I took on that much debt. :shock: Why did you decide not to apply to Cornell? They seem to be the least LSAT obsessed of the t14.


Depending on what you do for environmental law you might have some loan forgiveness coming your way... make sure you check into those programs and what they will accept as public interest. But, the fact that you want to go into a smaller field is even more of a reason to go to a better school. I've seen more people on these forums talk about doing environmental law than there are jobs for it (or, at least the jobs not defending companies who kill 5 year olds with chemicals). If you go to a T-14 you'll be in a better position to actually get the job you want.

I had already applied to enough reach schools and Ithaca didn't appeal to me. Also, my GPA isn't exactly as good as yours so I'd probably have gotten cut too... but, in retrospect I should have applied there over Duke. Not that I got into Duke, but...

LittleJenn
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:40 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby LittleJenn » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:55 pm

Depending on what you do for environmental law you might have some loan forgiveness coming your way... make sure you check into those programs and what they will accept as public interest. But, the fact that you want to go into a smaller field is even more of a reason to go to a better school. I've seen more people on these forums talk about doing environmental law than there are jobs for it (or, at least the jobs not defending companies who kill 5 year olds with chemicals). If you go to a T-14 you'll be in a better position to actually get the job you want.

I had already applied to enough reach schools and Ithaca didn't appeal to me. Also, my GPA isn't exactly as good as yours so I'd probably have gotten cut too... but, in retrospect I should have applied there over Duke. Not that I got into Duke, but...[/quote]

Yep, that's the dilemma. I'm afraid that I'd be shut out of job options if I went to UNC (instate) or Emory (scholarship), but that I'd have to limit my options because of debt if I went to Cornell. I'm waiting to hear about need based aid. And not to sound lame... but Ithaca is COLD! But Duke is in Durham. You can't win em all.

User avatar
thesouthside
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:57 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby thesouthside » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:22 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
summertimechi wrote:
buckeyefan3 wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:No email :|


+1

+ another 1. But i didn't wanna go to duke anyway.


It looks like we're hosed. Oh well, it was a reach w/a fee waiver anyway.


+1

User avatar
thesouthside
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:57 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby thesouthside » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:25 pm

Kat86 wrote:Do you think all of the emails would have gone out at once or would they be staggered?


I think they would all come at once but I HOPE they are staggered.

User avatar
OcanadaO
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:23 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby OcanadaO » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:44 pm

thesouthside wrote:
Kat86 wrote:Do you think all of the emails would have gone out at once or would they be staggered?


I think they would all come at once but I HOPE they are staggered.


Not to add fuel to the fire... but I m pretty sure we are SCREWED ( as in no acceptance).

User avatar
hokie09
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:54 am

Re: decision at duke

Postby hokie09 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:49 pm

+1. Oh well, I've basically got my heart set on UVA anyway...but it would have been nice.

User avatar
OcanadaO
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:23 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby OcanadaO » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:58 pm

hokie09 wrote:+1. Oh well, I've basically got my heart set on UVA anyway...but it would have been nice.


Duke is doing a good job alienating those us who are at and above their medians. I really liked Duke's campus etc. but now they are slowly becoming the next Cornell to me!

User avatar
soul_echoes
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby soul_echoes » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:43 am

No email here either :?. That's okay, I'm pretty sure I would have ended up picking Cornell over Duke anyway.

gobotz
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:24 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby gobotz » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:06 am

i think that this whole 2/17 batch is the most confusing thing ever...changes tuesday (but says 2/17) (i totally assumed i was out, just waiting on reject) and then i go on here, see perfectly qualified applicants (sort of how i considered myself, at LEAST a waitlist) and then on LSN the only people who have heard anything, were acceptance emails LAST NIGHT (2/19). and thus, i am completely confounded and can't wait to see what this is.

so i guess i'll be checking my email a million times. oh and after mom had to console my bruised ego, i told her NOT to auto-throw out the decision if it came via snail mail.

User avatar
thesouthside
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:57 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby thesouthside » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:42 am

Just called duke, they told me that my mom should have had an abortion...

gobotz
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:24 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby gobotz » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:46 am

thesouthside wrote:Just called duke, they told me that my mom should have had an abortion...


lol... seriously though, this waiting will be the death of me. are we still torn as to what the mass message could've been, or if it's potentially/probably a mix of all types of decisions?

mj72107
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:26 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby mj72107 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:53 am

I'm still not sure. I have this wild hope that their email servers are bogged down and soon we'll all receive the news we long for so desperately. Then again, the postman could be the harbringer of doom. Who knows?

If anyone DOESN'T want to go to Duke anymore, please withdraw... I will send you a box of the freshest Krispy Kremes I can find, because I really want your spot ! :)

User avatar
thesouthside
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:57 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby thesouthside » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:53 am

gobotz wrote:
thesouthside wrote:Just called duke, they told me that my mom should have had an abortion...


lol... seriously though, this waiting will be the death of me. are we still torn as to what the mass message could've been, or if it's potentially/probably a mix of all types of decisions?



Well, at first lit looked like wait lists based on their decisions last week. But a few people got accepted last night from the 2/17 batch. Now it could still be a bunch of wait lists and a few acceptances. But looking at the amount of people they waitlist generally it seems more likly that it is split - accept/ding/maybe few wl. On the other hand they could all be acceptances split into different batches of mass e-mails, but that is just wishful thinking.

I don't know duke has been weird this cycle. You would think with their shitty yield rate they would wl more people.

User avatar
thesouthside
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:57 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby thesouthside » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:02 am

.

User avatar
Paichka
Posts: 287
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:17 am

Re: decision at duke

Postby Paichka » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:32 am

Still no email. That's a WL or a ding. Oh well.

Duke, it would've been nice to spend another 3 years strolling your lovely campus. I thought we had some good times together -- studying on the green in front of the chapel, sharing sushi at the Great Hall, wandering the creepy stacks doing research for my abnormal psych paper -- but obviously I remember those times more fondly than you.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”