decision at duke

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tcwhat

Re: decision at duke

Postby tcwhat » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:28 pm

heather87 wrote:went to decision yesterday (2/17 group)--164/3.88 so there's definitely at least one rejection in this group (I would be shocked if it were a wl)

I venture I'll be joining you with a rejection - 170/3.18 - I'm part of the 2/17 group.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:31 pm

Does anyone know how quickly after the status checkers change to decision we should receive the snail mail?

pumpkincrepes

Postby pumpkincrepes » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:33 pm

This is so confusing. I am interviewing Friday and I've heard that in a few cases they made offers at the end of the interview. If I happen to be deemed lucky enough for this, I will straight up ask them what is going on with their admissions cycle and what they are trying to do. Having spent my UG career working for a newspaper, I should be able to figure out how to get the answers to our questions without being too awkward.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:35 pm

pumpkincrepes wrote:This is so confusing. I am interviewing Friday and I've heard that in a few cases they made offers at the end of the interview. If I happen to be deemed lucky enough for this, I will straight up ask them what is going on with their admissions cycle and what they are trying to do. Having spent my UG career working for a newspaper, I should be able to figure out how to get the answers to our questions without being too awkward.

Totally unrelated to anything Duke, I absolutely ADORE your username. And I now have a craving for sweet crepes.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:41 pm

pumpkincrepes wrote:This is so confusing. I am interviewing Friday and I've heard that in a few cases they made offers at the end of the interview. If I happen to be deemed lucky enough for this, I will straight up ask them what is going on with their admissions cycle and what they are trying to do. Having spent my UG career working for a newspaper, I should be able to figure out how to get the answers to our questions without being too awkward.

I've got some questions I'd love for you to ask, but you'd have a hard time remaining diplomatic-sounding.

Anyhoo, good luck with the interview! And congrats to frissle! I told you you were in. :wink:

cnola

Postby cnola » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:43 pm

dresden doll wrote:
slightlyanonymous wrote:
jdn012 wrote:If this is a WL, it seems as if the people in this group should be at the top of the list. Although I would probably wait for official letters for confirmation of what this decision group entails. A 169/3.87 being WL? I thought many 169's were PT and got in.

On LSN they have let in a few 168ers and below, and not all URM by any means...if it holds true to last year when apparently they dug into their waitlists quite a bit, it could just be Duke's MO to waitlist a LOT of people and see what shakes out in terms of interest...might be thier way of keeping their yield #s up.

Not trying to be argumentative or anything, but they let in exactly 5 non-169 non URMs. I actually counted the other day out of sheer curiosity. (Yes, I know, I need to find another focus of interest beyond admission cycles). As for massive WL-ing, I agree. As I said before, I think this is a round of WLs, with some rejections thrown in and maybe an acceptance or two.

lsn is NOT completely representative ...

microoli

Postby microoli » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:55 pm

LSN is definitely not representative. Not everyone's posting up there.

A friend of mine got WL with a 166 at Duke last year and ended up getting taken off it in the end (and by end, I mean 2 weeks before classes started). He regrets not taking money at USC now, though.

Also, rejections come via snail mail. I got mine the day after my status actually changed (got it yesterday, status checker changed on the 16th), but they claimed that I went to decision on the 13th. Good luck to you guys.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:09 pm

cnola wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
slightlyanonymous wrote:
jdn012 wrote:If this is a WL, it seems as if the people in this group should be at the top of the list. Although I would probably wait for official letters for confirmation of what this decision group entails. A 169/3.87 being WL? I thought many 169's were PT and got in.

On LSN they have let in a few 168ers and below, and not all URM by any means...if it holds true to last year when apparently they dug into their waitlists quite a bit, it could just be Duke's MO to waitlist a LOT of people and see what shakes out in terms of interest...might be thier way of keeping their yield #s up.

Not trying to be argumentative or anything, but they let in exactly 5 non-169 non URMs. I actually counted the other day out of sheer curiosity. (Yes, I know, I need to find another focus of interest beyond admission cycles). As for massive WL-ing, I agree. As I said before, I think this is a round of WLs, with some rejections thrown in and maybe an acceptance or two.

lsn is NOT completely representative ...

I know it's not entirely representative. But between LSN and what people have reported on various Duke threads, I think it's reasonable to assume that sub-169, non-URM acceptances have been few and far in between.

pumpkincrepes

Postby pumpkincrepes » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:17 pm

IzziesGal wrote:

Totally unrelated to anything Duke, I absolutely ADORE your username. And I now have a craving for sweet crepes.

definitelymaybe

Postby definitelymaybe » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:44 pm

my status checker changed to A decision was made on Feb 17, 2009. You will be notified soon. too. and im 167/3.9. i don't think its looking good for us.. this will be my first rejection. the only other schools i've heard from are uva, georgetown, and cornell. got in to all of them. so i was thinking i was in at duke? i did not write the why duke essay though.

hoosier1508

Postby hoosier1508 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:47 pm

definitelymaybe wrote:my status checker changed to A decision was made on Feb 17, 2009. You will be notified soon. too. and im 167/3.9. i don't think its looking good for us.. this will be my first rejection. the only other schools i've heard from are uva, georgetown, and cornell. got in to all of them. so i was thinking i was in at duke? i did not write the why duke essay though.

It's not going to be a mass rejection. It's a big waitlist, maybe a few rejections/acceptances included.

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:52 pm

Are there people who are still stuck at "decision not yet made"?

jdn012

Postby jdn012 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:53 pm

napolnic wrote:Are there people who are still stuck at "decision not yet made"?

here here!

pomona

Postby pomona » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:53 pm

So is the general theory that 2/17 is mostly a huge batch of WLs, and that those decisions will come via email in the next 24-48 hours, or that they'll be sending WLs via mail?

Fuser

Postby Fuser » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:53 pm

Did anyone else go to decision on the 16th? (Monday) It looks like the 2/13 batch are a lot of rejections, but there also seems to be a large 2/17 batch, that maybe waitlists etc. I pretty much expected a rejection but maybe there is hope?

definitelymaybe

Postby definitelymaybe » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:56 pm

hoosier1508 wrote:
definitelymaybe wrote:my status checker changed to A decision was made on Feb 17, 2009. You will be notified soon. too. and im 167/3.9. i don't think its looking good for us.. this will be my first rejection. the only other schools i've heard from are uva, georgetown, and cornell. got in to all of them. so i was thinking i was in at duke? i did not write the why duke essay though.

It's not going to be a mass rejection. It's a big waitlist, maybe a few rejections/acceptances included.

what makes you so sure its not going to be a mass rejection? shouldn't we have gotten an email by now if we were accepted or waitlisted? it looks like that huge group who had their status change 2/13 all got the same decision. people who were accepted on LSN have decision dates that are more spread out.

zonkadonk

Postby zonkadonk » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:11 pm

i just want to be a part of a batch :(

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:13 pm

definitelymaybe wrote:
hoosier1508 wrote:

what makes you so sure its not going to be a mass rejection? shouldn't we have gotten an email by now if we were accepted or waitlisted? it looks like that huge group who had their status change 2/13 all got the same decision. people who were accepted on LSN have decision dates that are more spread out.

First off, one person at least has reported getting acceptance email two days after going to decision. So, no, we wouldn't have necessarily received our email by now. Secondly, there's no reason to think that all wls/acceptances must necessarily come via email. Many schools start off with one notification method (say phone call) and switch it up by turning to other ways of communicating decisions later on. In Duke's case, pervasive usage of acceptance emails has made particular sense since they've mostly dealt with PT people who needed to receive decisions in the time span of ten days. That doesn't necessarily mean that every single non-PT person needs to be notified of a wl/acceptance by email as well.

Thirdly, many people in this batch have very solid numbers Duke cannot afford to reject outright, unless they think they can convince all the prospective HYSCCN admits to come. Reasoning so, however, would be foolhardy, especially when it comes to a school that's been plagued with a shitty yield rate (13 percent is lowest of all T14s).

So in sum, no, we can't be sure of anything. But common sense would strongly suggest that this batch is unlikely to be one gigantic round of rejections.

pomona

Postby pomona » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:37 pm

dresden doll wrote:
definitelymaybe wrote:
hoosier1508 wrote:

First off, one person at least has reported getting acceptance email two days after going to decision. So, no, we wouldn't have necessarily received our email by now. Secondly, there's no reason to think that all wls/acceptances must necessarily come via email. Many schools start off with one notification method (say phone call) and switch it up by turning to other ways of communicating decisions later on. In Duke's case, pervasive usage of acceptance emails has made particular sense since they've mostly dealt with PT people who needed to receive decisions in the time span of ten days. That doesn't necessarily mean that every single non-PT person needs to be notified of a wl/acceptance by email as well.

Thirdly, many people in this batch have very solid numbers Duke cannot afford to reject outright, unless they think they can convince all the prospective HYSCCN admits to come. Reasoning so, however, would be foolhardy, especially when it comes to a school that's been plagued with a shitty yield rate (13 percent is lowest of all T14s).

So in sum, no, we can't be sure of anything. But common sense would strongly suggest that this batch is unlikely to be one gigantic round of rejections.

+1. 13% isn't just a bad yield rate for T14, it's a terrible yield rate PERIOD.

hoosier1508

Postby hoosier1508 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:50 pm

We'll find out in a few days. I'm assuming since most if not all of us are not PT, Duke has no reason to e-mail us.

I'm expecting a waitlist. I highly doubt I'm going to get outright rejected with a 3.5/172.

Also, all the high GPA 167's/168's are not going to be rejected either, most likely a WL.
Duke has developed an odd admissions strategy, which in all likelihood hurts them more than anything.

They automatically admit all these people within 10 days, most of whom are unlikely to attend. The people they should be targeting don't get PT, wait 5 months for a decision and then get waitlisted. Duke secures 20 people from their priority track acceptances and then has to go hunt down 180 people from their waitlist, most of whom will not attend considering Duke treats all Non PT applicants as if they didn't exist.

Duke is a low T14 who thinks its a T5.
Last edited by hoosier1508 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kat86

Postby Kat86 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:56 pm

hoosier1508 wrote:We'll find out in a few days. I'm assuming since most if not all of us are not PT, Duke has no reason to e-mail us.

I'm expecting a waitlist. I highly doubt I'm going to get outright rejected with a 3.5/172.

Also, all the high GPA 167's/168's are not going to be rejected either, most likely a WL.
Duke has developed an odd admissions strategy, which in all likelihood hurts them more than anything.

They automatically admit all these people within 10 days, most of whom are unlikely to attend. The people they should be targeting don't get PT, wait 5 months for a decision and then get waitlisted. Duke secures 20 people from their priority track acceptances and then has to go hunt down 180 people from their waitlist, most of whom will not attend considering Duke treats all Non PT applicants as if they didn't exist.

Duke is a low T14 who thinks it a T5.

Nicely put

gk101

Postby gk101 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:57 pm

jdn012 wrote:
napolnic wrote:Are there people who are still stuck at "decision not yet made"?

here here!

+1 but in my case its a good thing since I am a splitter and an acceptance is unlikely

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:06 pm

hoosier1508 wrote:We'll find out in a few days. I'm assuming since most if not all of us are not PT, Duke has no reason to e-mail us.

Duke is a low T14 who thinks its a T5.

1 billion props to this. They pulled a similar strategy last year, only to have to pull people off the WL - and, in many instances, with money to boot. I cannot imagine why they keep plunging ahead with a scheme any applicant with common sense could tell them is bound to backfire.

WIdan

Postby WIdan » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:34 pm

Joining the 2/17 group.

3.59/170

throughthewetgrass

Postby throughthewetgrass » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:43 pm

a pox on all their houses!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”