decision at duke

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jdn012
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:04 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby jdn012 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:06 pm

slightlyanonymous wrote:
jdn012 wrote:If this is a WL, it seems as if the people in this group should be at the top of the list. Although I would probably wait for official letters for confirmation of what this decision group entails. A 169/3.87 being WL? I thought many 169's were PT and got in.


On LSN they have let in a few 168ers and below, and not all URM by any means...if it holds true to last year when apparently they dug into their waitlists quite a bit, it could just be Duke's MO to waitlist a LOT of people and see what shakes out in terms of interest...might be thier way of keeping their yield #s up.


They probably are a bit concerned about this. LSAC data shows about a 13% yield last year....low for any school, much less a T14 (although some of this may be the result of their PT program, letting in a bunch of people that have no intention of going).

slightlyanonymous
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby slightlyanonymous » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:07 pm

bulldog4574 wrote:
slightlyanonymous wrote:
jdn012 wrote:If this is a WL, it seems as if the people in this group should be at the top of the list. Although I would probably wait for official letters for confirmation of what this decision group entails. A 169/3.87 being WL? I thought many 169's were PT and got in.


On LSN they have let in a few 168ers and below, and not all URM by any means...if it holds true to last year when apparently they dug into their waitlists quite a bit, it could just be Duke's MO to waitlist a LOT of people and see what shakes out in terms of interest...might be thier way of keeping their yield #s up.


so if i get wl'd at duke i should go ahead with my visit and not blow it off out of resentment?


Do you have an interview there or something? (They do extend some interviews, right?)

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: decision at duke

Postby dresden doll » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:10 pm

slightlyanonymous wrote:
jdn012 wrote:If this is a WL, it seems as if the people in this group should be at the top of the list. Although I would probably wait for official letters for confirmation of what this decision group entails. A 169/3.87 being WL? I thought many 169's were PT and got in.


On LSN they have let in a few 168ers and below, and not all URM by any means...if it holds true to last year when apparently they dug into their waitlists quite a bit, it could just be Duke's MO to waitlist a LOT of people and see what shakes out in terms of interest...might be thier way of keeping their yield #s up.


Not trying to be argumentative or anything, but they let in exactly 5 non-169 non URMs. I actually counted the other day out of sheer curiosity. (Yes, I know, I need to find another focus of interest beyond admission cycles). As for massive WL-ing, I agree. As I said before, I think this is a round of WLs, with some rejections thrown in and maybe an acceptance or two.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: decision at duke

Postby dresden doll » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:15 pm

jdn012 wrote:
slightlyanonymous wrote:
jdn012 wrote:If this is a WL, it seems as if the people in this group should be at the top of the list. Although I would probably wait for official letters for confirmation of what this decision group entails. A 169/3.87 being WL? I thought many 169's were PT and got in.


On LSN they have let in a few 168ers and below, and not all URM by any means...if it holds true to last year when apparently they dug into their waitlists quite a bit, it could just be Duke's MO to waitlist a LOT of people and see what shakes out in terms of interest...might be thier way of keeping their yield #s up.


They probably are a bit concerned about this. LSAC data shows about a 13% yield last year....low for any school, much less a T14 (although some of this may be the result of their PT program, letting in a bunch of people that have no intention of going).


That yield rate is beyond horrible. I agree that it's likely a direct result of the PT thing. It's funny how they've created the PT program to lure in high LSAT applicants and improve their ranking via upping the median while, at the same time, ruining their yield. Seems the PT program will drag them down, if anything. After all, yield rate is just as much a part of the rankings system as LSAT medians are, though I'm not sure about relative weights accorded to each.

mynameiswhat
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:14 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby mynameiswhat » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:17 pm

I'm interested to see what happens with these upcoming decisions.

I was accepted via email almost 2 weeks ago. And I was not priority track, and also not invited to interview.

I would say most of you guys should be acceptances except for the fact you haven't received emails. It seems very strange. Good luck.
Last edited by mynameiswhat on Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thechairman
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:23 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby thechairman » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:26 pm

Is everyone on this topic referring to when their status went to decision on the 13th?

Mine says that a decision was made on the 17th and updated today on the 18th. Does that mean anything different or is it just the same thing as people who had their 'decision' made on the 13th?

User avatar
waaf1073
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:18 am

Re: decision at duke

Postby waaf1073 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:26 pm

hoya2009 wrote:I wonder if any information would be given out if someone called---

Like what does "y'all will hear soon" mean?

Corrected.

slightlyanonymous
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby slightlyanonymous » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:27 pm

thechairman wrote:Is everyone on this topic referring to when their status went to decision on the 13th?

Mine says that a decision was made on the 17th and updated today on the 18th. Does that mean anything different or is it just the same thing as people who had their 'decision' made on the 13th?


There are, it seems, two batches of decisions on this thread. 2/13 and 2/17
2/13 appears to be overwhelmingly rejections. (??)

User avatar
Kat86
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:16 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby Kat86 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:35 pm

eeeeeeeeeeekkkk decision 2/17 .... 168/3.93 ..... Duke is killing me, I'm already in at UVA so I don't know why I care so much..

thechairman
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:23 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby thechairman » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:36 pm

How long usually does it take schools to get emails out. I know when you send alot of emails, it takes a while...If a decision was made yesterday (17th) but the status updater updated today (18th), should I have received an email already if it was an acceptance or can I calm down and wait a few hours?

User avatar
Paichka
Posts: 287
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:17 am

Re: decision at duke

Postby Paichka » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:37 pm

Interesante. Turns out a decision was made on me yesterday, and I should be hearing soon. I wonder if that means I'm out? I assume if I were in, they'd have sent me an email.

Ah, speculation. Good times.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby 20160810 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:50 pm

A lot of people with 3.8+/168+ (solid Duke numbers) seem to be in this group. My only conclusion is that they are waitlisting like crazy to yield protect but therefore they will have to dip into that waitlist a good deal when the 170+ers they seem intent on focusing on go to HYSCCN. So to those who get the WL, I would say draft one hell of a LOCI, send whatever additional materials they'll accept, and don't lose heart.

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby IzziesGal » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:52 pm

Just went to decision, as of yesterday!!!! Woot!!!

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: decision at duke

Postby dresden doll » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:52 pm

Paichka wrote:Interesante. Turns out a decision was made on me yesterday, and I should be hearing soon. I wonder if that means I'm out? I assume if I were in, they'd have sent me an email.

Ah, speculation. Good times.


That's one heck of a profile, paichka. Regardless of that 3.3, you seem like a great candidate. Plus, you attended Duke for UG.

There's no way all of these decisions will be rejections. None whatsoever.

User avatar
frissle
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:55 am

Re: decision at duke

Postby frissle » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:53 pm

Just got an acceptance email a few minutes ago! 168, 3.82, interviewed last friday, went to decision monday (Feb 16). They said my letter is on the way. There is hope for the less than 169 & non PT after all!!!!

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby 20160810 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:55 pm

So they sometimes send out emails days after your shit goes to decision?!?


FUCKING ZOUNDS! :shock:

thechairman
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:23 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby thechairman » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:55 pm

that makes me feel a bit better...for now. lol. if yours went to decision on monday and you are just now getting the email...thats good. Congrats

User avatar
Paichka
Posts: 287
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:17 am

Re: decision at duke

Postby Paichka » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:57 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Paichka wrote:Interesante. Turns out a decision was made on me yesterday, and I should be hearing soon. I wonder if that means I'm out? I assume if I were in, they'd have sent me an email.

Ah, speculation. Good times.


That's one heck of a profile, paichka. Regardless of that 3.3, you seem like a great candidate. Plus, you attended Duke for UG.

There's no way all of these decisions will be rejections. None whatsoever.


Hey, thanks. :) We'll see, yeah?

And I echo SBL. Zounds indeed. Now I'm off to obsessively refresh my gmail account...

slightlyanonymous
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby slightlyanonymous » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:58 pm

frissle wrote:Just got an acceptance email a few minutes ago! 168, 3.82, interviewed last friday, went to decision monday (Feb 16). They said my letter is on the way. There is hope for the less than 169 & non PT after all!!!!


Congrats frissle! If you don't mind me asking, were you asked to interview? Was it phone, campus? Did you write 'why Duke' essay?

microoli
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:47 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby microoli » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:59 pm

Ding at Dook. (Decision 2/13).

heather87
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:33 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby heather87 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:00 pm

went to decision yesterday (2/17 group)--164/3.88 so there's definitely at least one rejection in this group (I would be shocked if it were a wl)

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby IzziesGal » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:03 pm

microoli wrote:Ding at Dook. (Decision 2/13).


Sorry to hear - how did you find out? (I'll be joining you soon!)

User avatar
frissle
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:55 am

Re: decision at duke

Postby frissle » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:04 pm

slightlyanonymous wrote:
frissle wrote:Just got an acceptance email a few minutes ago! 168, 3.82, interviewed last friday, went to decision monday (Feb 16). They said my letter is on the way. There is hope for the less than 169 & non PT after all!!!!


Congrats frissle! If you don't mind me asking, were you asked to interview? Was it phone, campus? Did you write 'why Duke' essay?


Thanks! Yes I was asked to interview - interview was on campus and lasted about 30-40 minutes. And I did NOT write the 'why Duke' essay

User avatar
ben1185
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:22 pm

Re: decision at duke

Postby ben1185 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:08 pm

seraphita wrote:
i can't imagine Duke not accepting any <169 this cycle, could they really form a full class with only 169's and up?


No, I don't think it's possible for them to reject *every* sub-169. As dresden doll noted, 25% of their current 1L class has a 165 or lower. I really don't think they can raise their 25% mark by 4 or 5 points this quickly.

They did, however, recently reject some people with 167s and 168s, so I'm not confident that all of us who went to decision on 2/17 are getting in. I'm 166, 3.95, so why would they accept me when they just rejected a 167, 3.85?


Maybe they hated my personal statement haha :-D

Also, I didn't write the why Duke essay... which is probably the biggest reason for my ding.
Last edited by ben1185 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teedy
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:44 am

Re: decision at duke

Postby teedy » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:13 pm

sorry ben, at leas you have other good schools to choose from like Cornell. Its weird that they are flat out rejecting some 168 and 167s and there have not been any normal waitlists yet. I havent been able to check my mail yet but I'm assuming reject since I went decision 2/13. Have there been any 2/13 decisions that still haven't heard?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, elcamino4, Google Adsense [Bot], kdonohue, Long shot hero, LtotheB, pkalltheway, SNightHighlights and 23 guests