decision at duke Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Kat86

New

Re: decision at duke

Post by Kat86 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:32 pm

Do you think all of the emails would have gone out at once or would they be staggered?

LittleJenn

New

Post by LittleJenn » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:51 pm

sjp08 wrote:
alleycat3 wrote:Huh. After all the disparaging of Duke I have done for the last few days... I got an email (6:57 EST) welcoming me to Duke. I hope everyone else who changed to Decision on 2/17 has similar good news waiting for them!
Also just got in! I never really had the intention of going (applied because of a fee waiver) but it's still exciting! PS I was in the 2/17 batch.

All my hope has been restored... alas, no email. Congrats, though! I'm jealous- I'd be extremely happy to go to duke.

secondshiaprince

New

Post by secondshiaprince » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:04 pm

LittleJenn, do you have amazing softs? You got into Cornell with a 166? I know a 3.8 will be a lot more help than my 3.58 but, that's pretty great that you got in there.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:05 pm

No email :|

buckeyefan3

New

Post by buckeyefan3 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:06 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:No email :|
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:07 pm

buckeyefan3 wrote:
+1
+ another 1. But i didn't wanna go to duke anyway.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:09 pm

summertimechi wrote:
buckeyefan3 wrote:
+1
It looks like we're hosed. Oh well, it was a reach w/a fee waiver anyway.

LittleJenn

New

Post by LittleJenn » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:21 pm

secondshiaprince wrote:LittleJenn, do you have amazing softs? You got into Cornell with a 166? I know a 3.8 will be a lot more help than my 3.58 but, that's pretty great that you got in there.

I think my softs are pretty good, not great...just internships and research and the like. Well, maybe Cornell thinks they're amazing, but Vandy/ UVA/ Duke don't. However, I do have a pretty specific motivation for going to law school and that's played out in my ps, softs, LOR's. I'm excited about Cornell, but I want to do PI/ government work, so the debt is extremely terrifying. As is moving away from my SO.

secondshiaprince

New

Post by secondshiaprince » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:26 pm

LittleJenn wrote:
secondshiaprince wrote:LittleJenn, do you have amazing softs? You got into Cornell with a 166? I know a 3.8 will be a lot more help than my 3.58 but, that's pretty great that you got in there.

I think my softs are pretty good, not great...just internships and research and the like. Well, maybe Cornell thinks they're amazing, but Vandy/ UVA/ Duke don't. However, I do have a pretty specific motivation for going to law school and that's played out in my ps, softs, LOR's. I'm excited about Cornell, but I want to do PI/ government work, so the debt is extremely terrifying. As is moving away from my SO.
Well, a post-Cornell law salary can entice just about anyone to follow... but, if you don't like that just tell them to give it to me. I didn't even apply but I'd take it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LittleJenn

New

Post by LittleJenn » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:35 pm

secondshiaprince wrote:
LittleJenn wrote:

Well, a post-Cornell law salary can entice just about anyone to follow... but, if you don't like that just tell them to give it to me. I didn't even apply but I'd take it.

Ahh... if only environmental law were lucrative...I think I'd have to work for some firm defending chemical companies against toxic tort claims from cancer-ridden five year olds if I took on that much debt. :shock: Why did you decide not to apply to Cornell? They seem to be the least LSAT obsessed of the t14.

secondshiaprince

New

Post by secondshiaprince » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:43 pm

LittleJenn wrote:Ahh... if only environmental law were lucrative...I think I'd have to work for some firm defending chemical companies against toxic tort claims from cancer-ridden five year olds if I took on that much debt. :shock: Why did you decide not to apply to Cornell? They seem to be the least LSAT obsessed of the t14.
Depending on what you do for environmental law you might have some loan forgiveness coming your way... make sure you check into those programs and what they will accept as public interest. But, the fact that you want to go into a smaller field is even more of a reason to go to a better school. I've seen more people on these forums talk about doing environmental law than there are jobs for it (or, at least the jobs not defending companies who kill 5 year olds with chemicals). If you go to a T-14 you'll be in a better position to actually get the job you want.

I had already applied to enough reach schools and Ithaca didn't appeal to me. Also, my GPA isn't exactly as good as yours so I'd probably have gotten cut too... but, in retrospect I should have applied there over Duke. Not that I got into Duke, but...

LittleJenn

New

Post by LittleJenn » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:55 pm

Depending on what you do for environmental law you might have some loan forgiveness coming your way... make sure you check into those programs and what they will accept as public interest. But, the fact that you want to go into a smaller field is even more of a reason to go to a better school. I've seen more people on these forums talk about doing environmental law than there are jobs for it (or, at least the jobs not defending companies who kill 5 year olds with chemicals). If you go to a T-14 you'll be in a better position to actually get the job you want.

I had already applied to enough reach schools and Ithaca didn't appeal to me. Also, my GPA isn't exactly as good as yours so I'd probably have gotten cut too... but, in retrospect I should have applied there over Duke. Not that I got into Duke, but...[/quote]

Yep, that's the dilemma. I'm afraid that I'd be shut out of job options if I went to UNC (instate) or Emory (scholarship), but that I'd have to limit my options because of debt if I went to Cornell. I'm waiting to hear about need based aid. And not to sound lame... but Ithaca is COLD! But Duke is in Durham. You can't win em all.

thesouthside

New

Post by thesouthside » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:22 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
summertimechi wrote:
buckeyefan3 wrote:
+1
It looks like we're hosed. Oh well, it was a reach w/a fee waiver anyway.
+1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thesouthside

New

Post by thesouthside » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:25 pm

Kat86 wrote:Do you think all of the emails would have gone out at once or would they be staggered?
I think they would all come at once but I HOPE they are staggered.

OcanadaO

New

Post by OcanadaO » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:44 pm

thesouthside wrote:
Kat86 wrote:Do you think all of the emails would have gone out at once or would they be staggered?
I think they would all come at once but I HOPE they are staggered.
Not to add fuel to the fire... but I m pretty sure we are SCREWED ( as in no acceptance).

hokie09

New

Post by hokie09 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:49 pm

+1. Oh well, I've basically got my heart set on UVA anyway...but it would have been nice.

OcanadaO

New

Post by OcanadaO » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:58 pm

hokie09 wrote:+1. Oh well, I've basically got my heart set on UVA anyway...but it would have been nice.
Duke is doing a good job alienating those us who are at and above their medians. I really liked Duke's campus etc. but now they are slowly becoming the next Cornell to me!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

soul_echoes

New

Post by soul_echoes » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:43 am

No email here either :?. That's okay, I'm pretty sure I would have ended up picking Cornell over Duke anyway.

gobotz

New

Post by gobotz » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:06 am

i think that this whole 2/17 batch is the most confusing thing ever...changes tuesday (but says 2/17) (i totally assumed i was out, just waiting on reject) and then i go on here, see perfectly qualified applicants (sort of how i considered myself, at LEAST a waitlist) and then on LSN the only people who have heard anything, were acceptance emails LAST NIGHT (2/19). and thus, i am completely confounded and can't wait to see what this is.

so i guess i'll be checking my email a million times. oh and after mom had to console my bruised ego, i told her NOT to auto-throw out the decision if it came via snail mail.

thesouthside

New

Post by thesouthside » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:42 am

Just called duke, they told me that my mom should have had an abortion...

gobotz

New

Post by gobotz » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:46 am

thesouthside wrote:Just called duke, they told me that my mom should have had an abortion...
lol... seriously though, this waiting will be the death of me. are we still torn as to what the mass message could've been, or if it's potentially/probably a mix of all types of decisions?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mj72107

New

Post by mj72107 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:53 am

I'm still not sure. I have this wild hope that their email servers are bogged down and soon we'll all receive the news we long for so desperately. Then again, the postman could be the harbringer of doom. Who knows?

If anyone DOESN'T want to go to Duke anymore, please withdraw... I will send you a box of the freshest Krispy Kremes I can find, because I really want your spot ! :)

thesouthside

New

Post by thesouthside » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:53 am

gobotz wrote:
thesouthside wrote:Just called duke, they told me that my mom should have had an abortion...
lol... seriously though, this waiting will be the death of me. are we still torn as to what the mass message could've been, or if it's potentially/probably a mix of all types of decisions?

Well, at first lit looked like wait lists based on their decisions last week. But a few people got accepted last night from the 2/17 batch. Now it could still be a bunch of wait lists and a few acceptances. But looking at the amount of people they waitlist generally it seems more likly that it is split - accept/ding/maybe few wl. On the other hand they could all be acceptances split into different batches of mass e-mails, but that is just wishful thinking.

I don't know duke has been weird this cycle. You would think with their shitty yield rate they would wl more people.

thesouthside

New

Post by thesouthside » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:02 am

Paichka

Bronze

Post by Paichka » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:32 am

Still no email. That's a WL or a ding. Oh well.

Duke, it would've been nice to spend another 3 years strolling your lovely campus. I thought we had some good times together -- studying on the green in front of the chapel, sharing sushi at the Great Hall, wandering the creepy stacks doing research for my abnormal psych paper -- but obviously I remember those times more fondly than you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”