In at UC Hastings!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
microoli

New

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Post by microoli » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:03 pm

Withdrew today. Hopefully one of you will get my spot. Good luck!

stayawake5

New

Post by stayawake5 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:15 pm

thischarmingman wrote:I'm just hoping I don't miss out on housing because USC is taking for ever to get back to me. :(
Thischarming... I would also consider giving the Tower a phone call. Pansy Mar is the property manager (415) 557-0985. I had an intersting back-and-forth with her via email and phone. Mcallister tower is filling up (if not full), however she seems ammenable and may be able to work something if you press it; I would talk to her.

baycat80

New

Post by baycat80 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:12 pm

has anybody had any success pressing Hastings for more scholarship/merit aid $?

mnolen

Bronze

Post by mnolen » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:29 pm

Sent my deposit today.. it feels more than a little weird.

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:30 pm

good for you mnolen! i deposited at a school i've no intention of attending, and that felt weird. i hope you're not feeling the same weirdness.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:31 pm

deadatheist wrote:good for you mnolen! i deposited at a school i've no intention of attending, and that felt weird. i hope you're not feeling the same weirdness.
BLS? Or Dozo

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:32 pm

worser. usf.
bls is bye bye i think. cardozo's deposit is SOOoo much, i'm going hold out on that one until they come knocking.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:35 pm

deadatheist wrote:worser. usf.
bls is bye bye i think. cardozo's deposit is SOOoo much, i'm going hold out on that one until they come knocking.
USF isn't that bad. In fact, with your scholly there I'd say it was a better move than BLS or Cardozo. If not for your desire to move to NYC that is.

USF is solid in the Bay Area tho

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:37 pm

for $350, i'll continue to agree with that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mnolen

Bronze

Post by mnolen » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:46 pm

deadatheist wrote:good for you mnolen! i deposited at a school i've no intention of attending, and that felt weird. i hope you're not feeling the same weirdness.

Thanks dude! No, I have every intention of going to Hastings (unless UCLA decides they like meeee....) but it still felt odd to shell out $500 for well.. anything. I really like Hastings and I think I'll be really happy there if I attend.

Happy to hear you're waiting out Cardozo - I really hope you get into Hastings! Then we could be study buddies! Obviously it's never good to bank on transferring, but it seems entirely possible to me that you would be able to go from USF to Hastings (or wherever else you want). What made you decide to put down a deposit there?

stayawake5

New

Post by stayawake5 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:50 pm

swheat wrote:
USF isn't that bad. In fact, with your scholly there I'd say it was a better move than BLS or Cardozo. If not for your desire to move to NYC that is.

Im curious what you two think... I decided that SF was the place for me. I decided against USF because of UCH's higher ranking and LEOP (I value the structured support program). I am recieving the UCH Grant thus far- $9,000. USF offered me $27,000 a year renewable. I feel good about the decision... But I am curious what two very thoughtful TLS folks would say. I am also curious, swheat, if you will be attending UCH in the fall. I know you are holding out deadatheist... good luck!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:57 pm

stayawake5 wrote:
swheat wrote:

Im curious what you two think... I decided that SF was the place for me. I decided against USF because of UCH's higher ranking and LEOP (I value the structured support program). I am recieving the UCH Grant thus far- $9,000. USF offered me $27,000 a year renewable. I feel good about the decision... But I am curious what two very thoughtful TLS folks would say. I am also curious, swheat, if you will be attending UCH in the fall. I know you are holding out deadatheist... good luck!
I'd feel good about your decision too. If you got any $$ from Hastings, consider yourself lucky. USF is a good school for the Bay Area, but Hastings is better for biglaw and for its reputation/placement throughout the rest of CA. Hastings probably has a stronger alumni network as well, especially among judges for those seeking judicial externships.

Yup I am attending. I will probably make the deposit tomorrow.

I'm hoping for deadatheist to get in too! :D

thischarmingman

New

Post by thischarmingman » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:26 am

stayawake5 wrote:
thischarmingman wrote:I'm just hoping I don't miss out on housing because USC is taking for ever to get back to me. :(
Thischarming... I would also consider giving the Tower a phone call. Pansy Mar is the property manager (415) 557-0985. I had an intersting back-and-forth with her via email and phone. Mcallister tower is filling up (if not full), however she seems ammenable and may be able to work something if you press it; I would talk to her.
Awesome. I am going to submit my deposit and application for housing today and I'll give her a call after. Thank you for the info.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jr0008

New

Post by jr0008 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:40 am

microoli wrote:Withdrew today. Hopefully one of you will get my spot. Good luck!

thanks for letting us know! im on the waitlist and would definitely go if admitted. keeping my fingers crossed.

thischarmingman

New

Post by thischarmingman » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:03 pm

Submitted everything today!!! Talked to Pansy at the tower, all they have left is a 2 bedroom penthouse. About $1400 a month per person. If anyone wants to go in on it we can probably not eat for the first year of school. :wink: I guess being in close proximity to the Tenderloin we could probably sell crack too.

Pansy thinks there will still be some movement so hopefully something will come up. I am really hoping to get a 1 bedroom, maybe even a studio. I don't think that efficiency is going to cut it.

Anyone want to wager that I get an acceptance from USC today since I just shelled out $800? :roll:

thelawdad

New

Post by thelawdad » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:11 pm

think competitive advantage.....you are a winner...from classroom to bedroom in just 3 minutes while your classmates sweat and worry how and when to go home.

Ops..I just gave away m child's secret edge.

justletmein

New

Post by justletmein » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:12 pm

wow--thats insane everything is full already. but i bet the view from that penthouse would be stunning :)

one thing to consider: i know hastings students can apply for housing at the ucsf mission bay campus. they have new apartments that medical and law students can lease, and while you wouldn't have the convenience of living down the block from classes, i believe they are subsidized and right on a convenient muni line (there may even be a shuttle directly to hastings...?). just a thought, as finding affordable housing in sf can be pretty demoralizing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:15 pm

How much is cheap housing worth? I mean if I told you guys I had the option of living near a BART line for approximately $500/mo. total (rent, utilities, everything), would I be crazy not to do it? Even if this hypothetical situation had me living with people I don't really want to live with?

jdub

New

Post by jdub » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:21 pm

justletmein wrote:wow--thats insane everything is full already. but i bet the view from that penthouse would be stunning :)

one thing to consider: i know hastings students can apply for housing at the ucsf mission bay campus. they have new apartments that medical and law students can lease, and while you wouldn't have the convenience of living down the block from classes, i believe they are subsidized and right on a convenient muni line (there may even be a shuttle directly to hastings...?). just a thought, as finding affordable housing in sf can be pretty demoralizing.
I've been living in SF for a while, and while its harder to find an affordable place here than other places, its really not as bad as all this. You can easily find a 2 bedroom for much less than 1400/person in much, much nicer neighborhoods than the loin. I really can't fathom someone choosing to live in housing at UCSF mission bay. Do not do this. Go on craigslist, be patient and flexible, and you will have much, much better options. Western Addition, NOPA, Fillmore, Alamo Square... these are all about 10 minute bus rides on the 21 and the 5 bus lines (buses that usually come every 12 minutes) to campus.

Also, those considering living in the Tower and bringing a car... oh my god. Do not do this either. Cars in the City are so much trouble. I know you probably are thinking it would be total insanity to live without your car, but no. Total insanity is shelling out 250/month (about the going rate in commercial garages), or worse yet, shelling out more than that because you don't have a garage and you get 5 parking tickets a month. Add onto that the cost of fixing your windows when someone breaks into your car. Get rid of the car. It will be ok. I promise.

We also have these crazy things called Zip Cars and City Car Share. You can rent cars, parked all over the city, for about $20 hour. Sound expensive? Compared to paying for parking, heck no it isn't expensive.

justletmein

New

Post by justletmein » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:23 pm

swheat wrote:How much is cheap housing worth? I mean if I told you guys I had the option of living near a BART line for approximately $500/mo. total (rent, utilities, everything), would I be crazy not to do it? Even if this hypothetical situation had me living with people I don't really want to live with?
depends on the company. if they are crazy roommates, id say no. but im of the mentality that my home is my castle sort of thing, i need it to be a shelter from the storm of 1L. so i find it worthwhile to pay a little more to save my sanity. but at that price, if they are people you dont really care for but who will leave you alone for the most part, it makes a lot of sense. less debt down the road is also definitely good for your mental health.

thischarmingman

New

Post by thischarmingman » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:25 pm

justletmein wrote:wow--thats insane everything is full already. but i bet the view from that penthouse would be stunning :)

I have a couple friends that live in the city. Affordable housing does exist, though you are correct, it can be difficult to find. If I can't get into the tower I will most likely find something reasonable and commute. The BART or my bike are both pretty good options. Right now my fingers are crossed for something to come up in the tower.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jdub

New

Post by jdub » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:26 pm

swheat wrote:How much is cheap housing worth? I mean if I told you guys I had the option of living near a BART line for approximately $500/mo. total (rent, utilities, everything), would I be crazy not to do it? Even if this hypothetical situation had me living with people I don't really want to live with?
Near which bart line and how far from the City?

Here are some example numbers. Right now, I live in a studio in Nopa. Its a fabulous neighborhood, very safe, totally adorable. I pay $1495/month. Since this won't be do-able once I'm a student, I'll be moving in with a friend come August. We're looking at 2-bedrooms near Alamo Square, and are looking to pay around $1000-1100 each. This will be totally doable, and we've found some super cute places... we're just waiting until August because I want to hold onto my own place as long as possible.

I have a number of friends who live in larger places, 4 or 5 bedrooms, and they pay significantly less. Around 600-800 per person, per month.

thischarmingman

New

Post by thischarmingman » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:28 pm

jdub wrote:

Also, those considering living in the Tower and bringing a car... oh my god. Do not do this either. Cars in the City are so much trouble. I know you probably are thinking it would be total insanity to live without your car, but no. Total insanity is shelling out 250/month (about the going rate in commercial garages), or worse yet, shelling out more than that because you don't have a garage and you get 5 parking tickets a month. Add onto that the cost of fixing your windows when someone breaks into your car. Get rid of the car. It will be ok. I promise.

We also have these crazy things called Zip Cars and City Car Share. You can rent cars, parked all over the city, for about $20 hour. Sound expensive? Compared to paying for parking, heck no it isn't expensive.
Car will be getting covered and parked in the garage for the next three years. Although. I can see my mom using it and not telling me. When I was in France 2 years ago they had those car rental programs. They also had bike ones. It was pretty neat. If I hadn't have had my own bike with me I would have been all over it.

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:37 pm

stayawake5 wrote:
swheat wrote:

Thanks for the luck, i may really need it. i have to be honest, though I'm so close to USF, I've never actually trekked over there for a visit (sad lack of motivation on my part). but I honestly imagine it has to be much more attractive than Hastings (Hastings I love you, but I'll be the first to admit your "campus" isn't the fanciest), and in many ways a more traditional academic environment, with the ug campus nearby. and you can still BART to and fro USF (I know people who do) and enjoy all that sf has to offer, so it's really not a terrible alternative, and miles better than GGU. i know the school has some pretty great international law and human rights options, which appeal to me and my interests. however, i do feel like usf has an inferiority complex, especially among the students I've met, as though they wish they were somewhere else (and should i end up there if hastings won't have me and i pass up cardozo, i'd be a member to this party). to be honest though, I don't know why USF is so stingy with their money. nonrenewable 1st year scholarship like I received are almost an incentive for students to transfer out, you know? anyways, i view usf for me as a temporarily inexpensive way to attend law school without having to move, but i just don't have any burning or strong desire to spend 3 years there myself. but i would consider it. and really should learn more.

good to hear you're happy with your decision, i think most would agree with you!

edit: i have a funny edit to make, re: the bold. i think they read this, i just got a pretty decent scholarship increase.
Last edited by deadatheist on Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stayawake5

New

Post by stayawake5 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:07 pm

Yeah... you would be crazy :mrgreen: The last thing you want is a bad living situation- distracting and bad for the soul.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”