In at UC Hastings!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Katy Louise

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Postby Katy Louise » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:12 pm

I am really hoping that, as others have suggested, he was just some workstudy student or temp.

I have been laughing all day though that he suggested that I should "look up U.S News Report because they rank law schools."

Gee, guess I better google that. :roll:

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:20 pm

Katy Louise wrote:I am really hoping that, as others have suggested, he was just some workstudy student or temp.

I have been laughing all day though that he suggested that I should "look up U.S News Report because they rank law schools."

Gee, guess I better google that. :roll:

It could have been a student. I have called several times and have never spoken with a male. I know there are several males in the Financial Aid department and the Admissions Director is a male (Trevino). But I am pretty sure that the 3-4 admissions assistants are all females.

thischarmingman

Postby thischarmingman » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:56 pm

I just talked to the Financial Aid Office and to confirm what someone said earlier, you can wait on accepting your package until you submit a deposit. Now I just need USC to get back to me...

deadatheist

Postby deadatheist » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:03 pm

Que pasa people? Good news, bad news, any news? I'm kinda addicted to keeping up with what everyone is thinking here :oops:

DCDeckard

Postby DCDeckard » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:07 pm

So I'm kicking myself since I checked LSAC and it lists my alternate email address as my point of contact so all my law school correspondence has been going to an email address I seldom check. In any event, did anyone go to the DC admitted students reception last month (or a reception in a different city), and was it informative/useful?

stonepeep

Postby stonepeep » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:23 pm

I went to the reception in SF and found it useful. I spoke with a number of alumni, heard some interesting stories, and got some good advice. One of the women I spoke with is a partner on the hiring board of a large employment law firm in SF, so that was informative.

ria29

Postby ria29 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:38 pm

So how does Hastings generally feel about pre-decision LOCIs? I know it's great for waitlists, but how about for those of us who haven't heard anything? And do they prefer by e-mail or snail mail (more professional and I want to use nice paper :))?

Thanks... and I'm sure this has been discussed here before, but search wasn't helping out and I don't have time to go through posts tonight. Apologies in advance.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:15 pm

ria29 wrote:So how does Hastings generally feel about pre-decision LOCIs? I know it's great for waitlists, but how about for those of us who haven't heard anything? And do they prefer by e-mail or snail mail (more professional and I want to use nice paper :))?

Thanks... and I'm sure this has been discussed here before, but search wasn't helping out and I don't have time to go through posts tonight. Apologies in advance.

I'd go for it. Can't hurt.

Hammer home "Why Hastings?" Talk about the SF Bay Area being the only place for you and proximity of UCH to courts.

ria29

Postby ria29 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:27 am

swheat wrote:
ria29 wrote:So how does Hastings generally feel about pre-decision LOCIs? I know it's great for waitlists, but how about for those of us who haven't heard anything? And do they prefer by e-mail or snail mail (more professional and I want to use nice paper :))?

Hammer home "Why Hastings?" Talk about the SF Bay Area being the only place for you and proximity of UCH to courts.

Yup, that is how I tailored mine. Thanks.
Any thoughts on e-mail vs. snail mail?

socalgirl818

Postby socalgirl818 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:11 pm

ria29 wrote:
swheat wrote:

I sent a pre-decision LOCI to another school and I just called the admissions office and asked which method they prefer. I don't think you can go wrong with snail mail though; I think it looks more professional.

readereader

Postby readereader » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:17 pm

socalgirl818 wrote:
ria29 wrote:
swheat wrote:

I sent a pre-decision LOCI to another school and I just called the admissions office and asked which method they prefer. I don't think you can go wrong with snail mail though; I think it looks more professional.

I agree, especially because at this point you want to show them that you're not just academically equipped - you want to stand out as being the person who can function in the legal community. Use your nicest, thickest, watermarked paper. It shouldn't matter, but just in case it does, you want to look good.

mnolen

Postby mnolen » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:53 pm

I spoke to someone in the Financial Aid office today and she told me that I need to accept my package NOW. Seriously, her exact words were "No, you NEED to do it NOW." I don't know why her advice differed from what others heard, but she seemed pretty sure... the only reason I called was that my package will probably be changing due to benefits from the VA and I wondered if I should wait for the new package to accept. So maybe it's different for other people... but she definitely scared me a little.

jawsome

Postby jawsome » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:06 pm

mnolen wrote:I spoke to someone in the Financial Aid office today and she told me that I need to accept my package NOW. Seriously, her exact words were "No, you NEED to do it NOW." I don't know why her advice differed from what others heard, but she seemed pretty sure... the only reason I called was that my package will probably be changing due to benefits from the VA and I wondered if I should wait for the new package to accept. So maybe it's different for other people... but she definitely scared me a little.

Yeah. I figured after getting an automated email a few weeks ago saying "You need to accept," which was sent about a week after my fin aid letter was sent, meant that I needed to do it ASAP.

Question for others: I re-submitted my Fin Aid supplement for UCH to account for my recent changes in finances. Has anyone else done this? Does anyone know if they'll even consider it? I called them and they just quickly and impatiently said "re-submit it" ASAP...

mnolen

Postby mnolen » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:44 pm

jawsome wrote:
mnolen wrote:I spoke to someone in the Financial Aid office today and she told me that I need to accept my package NOW. Seriously, her exact words were "No, you NEED to do it NOW." I don't know why her advice differed from what others heard, but she seemed pretty sure... the only reason I called was that my package will probably be changing due to benefits from the VA and I wondered if I should wait for the new package to accept. So maybe it's different for other people... but she definitely scared me a little.

Yeah. I figured after getting an automated email a few weeks ago saying "You need to accept," which was sent about a week after my fin aid letter was sent, meant that I needed to do it ASAP.

Question for others: I re-submitted my Fin Aid supplement for UCH to account for my recent changes in finances. Has anyone else done this? Does anyone know if they'll even consider it? I called them and they just quickly and impatiently said "re-submit it" ASAP...

I haven't done it, but I need to. I've been unemployed for a couple of months now. Any info on this would be excellent.

hast2012

Postby hast2012 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:20 pm

Has anybody accessed their uc hastings email yet? Have they been assigned yet? I searched the forum but couldn't really find it.

vb007

Postby vb007 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:49 pm

hast2012 wrote:Has anybody accessed their uc hastings email yet? Have they been assigned yet? I searched the forum but couldn't really find it.

i haven't confirmed this, but i read somewhere that we don't get our e-mails until orientation in august

sigmachiev

Postby sigmachiev » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:11 pm

Dropping in to say I'm wait bopped like some of you fine folks. 161/3.29 (very good softs and work experience). We'll see here in a couple weeks how this all goes down. If I'm in I'm there.

deadatheist

Postby deadatheist » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:40 pm

watch out all... i'm becoming exceedingly fond of Hastings every day i wait and wish, and it's possible I may approach Opera Soprano/Fordham levels of love and thus, thread spamming. jk Opera ;)

Any news out there? Are people still waiting for a first decision?

I cannot wait to see who here on TLS will be the first to hear back from the WL... wishing everyone lots of luck and peace as they wait!

jetlagz28

Postby jetlagz28 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:42 pm

Oh Hastings, you were the first law school I ever visited and you will always have a place in my heart.

thischarmingman

Postby thischarmingman » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:47 pm

I'm just hoping I don't miss out on housing because USC is taking for ever to get back to me. :(

deadatheist

Postby deadatheist » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:49 pm

jetlagz28 wrote:Oh Hastings, you were the first law school I ever visited and you will always have a place in my heart.

is there a "but...." in that statement? Are you headed elsewhere, or stuck in the waiting place too?

deadatheist

Postby deadatheist » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:51 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFWMO0W-06s

far too appropriate. i shall spam elsewhere as well.

justletmein

Postby justletmein » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:52 pm

thischarmingman wrote:I'm just hoping I don't miss out on housing because USC is taking for ever to get back to me. :(

you might consider just applying for housing if you are really interested in living in the tower; i have heard it can be quite competitive. i got my housing assignment earlier this month so i know they are already doling out the apartments. i was told you had to submit proof of deposit in order to be considered for housing, but ive heard of a few people who didnt bother with it and just applied (and paid the $300) anyway to be on the safe side. so far its worked out for them...

jetlagz28

Postby jetlagz28 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:57 pm

deadatheist wrote:
jetlagz28 wrote:Oh Hastings, you were the first law school I ever visited and you will always have a place in my heart.

is there a "but...." in that statement? Are you headed elsewhere, or stuck in the waiting place too?

Hastings refused my advances.... :(

thischarmingman

Postby thischarmingman » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:01 pm

justletmein wrote:
thischarmingman wrote:I'm just hoping I don't miss out on housing because USC is taking for ever to get back to me. :(

you might consider just applying for housing if you are really interested in living in the tower; i have heard it can be quite competitive. i got my housing assignment earlier this month so i know they are already doling out the apartments. i was told you had to submit proof of deposit in order to be considered for housing, but ive heard of a few people who didnt bother with it and just applied (and paid the $300) anyway to be on the safe side. so far its worked out for them...

Yeah, I thought about that. I'm giving USC until tomorrow before I submit my deposit. I'll leave it up to fate for now. Come tomorrow I may be submitting the housing request and my deposit all at once.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”