In at UC Hastings!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
joobacca

Bronze

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Post by joobacca » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:16 pm

still waiting as well. complete since mid/late january. my chances look bad after looking at lsn. it seems like they just don't admit people with extremely low GPA

csc2law

New

Post by csc2law » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:04 pm

gamecock wrote:
mnolen wrote:Has anyone heard about merit aid, besides those who were told in their initial financial aid package? I was under the impression that they would be sending out offers of merit aid separately since it comes from a different office etc. etc.
I was under the same impression. Anybody?
I made a quick call after receiving my grantless financial aid offer. The person I talked to was not happy to hear from me, but I did manage to extract the fact that, yes, merit aid info will be sent around mid April.

Hastings is clearly set up to funnel people into taking jobs that pay well, rather than socially useful work. And yes, I do think those categories are generally mutually exclusive. Seriously: $110K + living expenses later, who is going to take that public interest job? Maybe trust funders and spouses of aristocrats.

Maybe that will change if/when California stops hemorrhaging its budget through the prison system and tax breaks for Incs. But until then, public schools strongly push students away from the public interest.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:12 pm

csc2law wrote:
gamecock wrote:
mnolen wrote:Has anyone heard about merit aid, besides those who were told in their initial financial aid package? I was under the impression that they would be sending out offers of merit aid separately since it comes from a different office etc. etc.
I was under the same impression. Anybody?
I made a quick call after receiving my grantless financial aid offer. The person I talked to was not happy to hear from me, but I did manage to extract the fact that, yes, merit aid info will be sent around mid April.

Hastings is clearly set up to funnel people into taking jobs that pay well, rather than socially useful work. And yes, I do think those categories are generally mutually exclusive. Seriously: $110K + living expenses later, who is going to take that public interest job? Maybe trust funders and spouses of aristocrats.

Maybe that will change if/when California stops hemorrhaging its budget through the prison system and tax breaks for Incs. But until then, public schools strongly push students away from the public interest.
I feel your pain csc....I too called after receiving no grants. They weren't eager to talk with me about it either. I assume you have a combination of savings+low to zero loan debt? I've heard that even as little as 2k in savings can preclude you from a Hastings grant.

Do you know if you can reapply for grants after the first year? I am thinking of spending up all my savings in the first year and trying to land a grant in 2L, 3L years.

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:42 pm

SD, joob, this is from another thread:
blbs wrote:
deadatheist wrote:p.s. i don't belong in this thread, :cry: esp not until i get my decision, but i thought that may help.

Just left the admissions office. There was a huge box of yet to be sealed small envelopes. Not sure if they are accept/deny/wl, especially since the admit letters come in a small envelope too. So you may hear soon. Good luck.

And constitutional law with Beth Hillman is a great class to sit in on.
fig'd i'd pass along so we can continue to speculate and wait our lives away (that is, if you're kinda going crazy like me).

csc2law

New

Post by csc2law » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:06 pm

swheat wrote: I feel your pain csc....I too called after receiving no grants. They weren't eager to talk with me about it either. I assume you have a combination of savings+low to zero loan debt? I've heard that even as little as 2k in savings can preclude you from a Hastings grant.

Do you know if you can reapply for grants after the first year? I am thinking of spending up all my savings in the first year and trying to land a grant in 2L, 3L years.
You got it right; some savings (not extravagant, especially if both of us are going to school), and I managed to pay off the $30K undergrad debt two years ago. Silly me.

Don't know if you can reapply. Eesh, Hastings as the great equalizer:
Hastings (to paraphrase) wrote: If you have savings, give it to me. If you're broke, I'll split some other guy's savings with you. Either way, you're all in the same hole.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gooru

New

Post by gooru » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:33 am

x
Last edited by gooru on Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TPO

New

Post by TPO » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:28 am

Excluding YP, would it be reasonable to infer that being waitlisted quicker = less chance of getting off the list in the end? I applied LEOP, complete 1/10 and waitlisted 2/15. Some of the people here are just getting waitlisted now despite applying at the same time or earlier.

danconstan

New

Post by danconstan » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:06 am

TPO wrote:Excluding YP, would it be reasonable to infer that being waitlisted quicker = less chance of getting off the list in the end? I applied LEOP, complete 1/10 and waitlisted 2/15. Some of the people here are just getting waitlisted now despite applying at the same time or earlier.

I don't think there is less of a chance. They have a ton of applications to go through and make decisions more or less as they review each. They just got to your application earlier. I wouldn't worry about that.

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:24 pm

what's that? no word still? i'm a sucker for letting hastings string me along this long? alrighty then!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:25 pm

TPO wrote:Excluding YP, would it be reasonable to infer that being waitlisted quicker = less chance of getting off the list in the end? I applied LEOP, complete 1/10 and waitlisted 2/15. Some of the people here are just getting waitlisted now despite applying at the same time or earlier.
my theory is my application just looks so good they have to keep looking at it. a lot. :mrgreen:

TPO

New

Post by TPO » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:08 pm

Or alternatively your application is so powerful it's like the sun, they can't look at it for more than a couple seconds at a time without damaging their eyes - this clearly prolongs the overall time needed for a decision :mrgreen:

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:04 pm

dead thread?

<-- wl'd. my numbers are here and there. happy about it not being a ding, but dang I am oh so confused right now.

[begins riding out another wait]

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:45 pm

deadatheist wrote:dead thread?

<-- wl'd. my numbers are here and there. happy about it not being a ding, but dang I am oh so confused right now.

Sorry buddy. Get on that LOCI!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:46 pm

Did any other admits get this email today? "Reminder Notice for Your Electronic Award"

It sounds like they want me to accept my financial aid package. Do we really need to do this now? I haven't even put down my seat deposit yet, and I was hoping to do some financial analysis over the summer before accepting any loan funds.

justletmein

New

Post by justletmein » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:49 pm

i also got that email. i think they are pressuring us to accept so they can redistribute funds as needed and possibly lure in other students. but i read somewhere that the deadline to accept is not until mid-june or something like that, so i will probably sit on it through the better part of may just to make sure some financial catastrophe doesnt take place and i need more loans than anticipated...

jdub

New

Post by jdub » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:50 pm

swheat wrote:Did any other admits get this email today? "Reminder Notice for Your Electronic Award"

It sounds like they want me to accept my financial aid package. Do we really need to do this now? I haven't even put down my seat deposit yet, and I was hoping to do some financial analysis over the summer before accepting any loan funds.
I don't know where I got this impression, but I thought we had thirty days from when they make the offer to accept the loans. Does anyone else know about the 30 day deadline? Or did I make this up?

justletmein

New

Post by justletmein » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:53 pm

from the aid website:

Critical Deadlines for the 2009-10 academic year:

June 16, 2009:
In order to ensure that your loan funds will arrive by the beginning of the fall term, we must receive award letters and any necessary loan applications by this date.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thischarmingman

New

Post by thischarmingman » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:54 pm

jdub wrote:
swheat wrote:Did any other admits get this email today? "Reminder Notice for Your Electronic Award"

I don't know where I got this impression, but I thought we had thirty days from when they make the offer to accept the loans. Does anyone else know about the 30 day deadline? Or did I make this up?
My financial aid package says I have 3 weeks to accept the package from the date posted on the letter (April 1). Mid-June would be nice but that's not the deadline they gave me. Any consequence to accepting a package and then backing out? My deposit hasn't been left yet. Still waiting on USC...

justletmein

New

Post by justletmein » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:58 pm

you are right, i found this under "instructions" on my award:
* Submit your response by clicking the Submit button at the bottom of the award letter within three weeks of the date on this letter.

lame.

gooru

New

Post by gooru » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:02 pm

x
Last edited by gooru on Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emergencybarbie

New

Post by emergencybarbie » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:04 pm

Sorry about that and good luck! How did you find out? E-mail or snail mail?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

trojanfan06

New

Post by trojanfan06 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:07 pm

So we have to accept the financial aid package before we submit our deposit??

thischarmingman

New

Post by thischarmingman » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:29 pm

trojanfan06 wrote:So we have to accept the financial aid package before we submit our deposit??
I have no idea. I read most of instructions but I didn't see anywhere any potential consequences to accepting and then withdrawing. I guess a call to the financial aid office is in order. I'll try to get to them this afternoon. Lunch break is over. If anyone else knows or wants to chime in that would be appreciated.

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:56 pm

emergencybarbie wrote:

Sorry about that and good luck! How did you find out? E-mail or snail mail?
email, which was nice bc i no longer love/hate my mailbox. :)

Still waiting barbie? GL to you!!

emergencybarbie

New

Post by emergencybarbie » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:47 pm

Yes I am and I think I agree with OperaSoprano at this point. I've been complete since the beginning of Nov.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”