In at UC Hastings!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
General Tso

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Postby General Tso » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:13 pm

macguy4242 wrote:
Lior wrote:I guess this means I have to write a LOCI. :|

My WL email said that they "will appreciate if you do not call or email us regarding the waitlist." Don't you think that precludes a LOCI?

NO. According to the asst. admissions director, they strongly consider how likely you are to WANT to be in the Bay Area. Take my case, I live about 20 miles outside SF. They accepted me quickly even with my mediocre 162 LSAT. I think more had to be at play than just my credentials...pretty much everyone 160+ applying to UCH is an accomplished individual.

They do look strongly at how much interest you have in being in the Bay Area...she specifically mentioned that with regards to the high LSAT ppl that have been getting WL this year (actual example - they don't consider a 4.0/175 applicant from NYC to be serious about Hastings). It's all yield protection for the high score group. But I think the YP could be for the 'normal' LSAT scorers as well, but possibly to a lesser extent. Look on LSN at how many more WL's there are in 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 cycles than the 4 previous cycles. That goes for lower and higher scorers this year.

She said that if people have a strong desire and reason to be in SF, they should let them know by LOCI. Talk about the location near City Hall and CA Supreme Court, and how you 'would be in the middle of everything.' Talk about wanting to get involved in exciting debates like those over gay marriage, etc. all happening just steps from Hastings. That's all they said about themselves at the ASD, so they would likely respond positively if your LOCI talked about these things. Of course other things wouldnt hurt like wanting to do the new Health Law curriculum with UC-SF or the new IP concentration, etc. You get the point.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:20 pm

And if you read the exact wording it says "do not call or email"...nothing about not writing a letter. I say go for it, and really hammer home why Hastings and SF are the only places for you.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:23 pm

Also common knowledge (also useless for those of us who have already applied) but the admissions lady said that they absolutely HATE the
"resume" or "obituary" personal statement. If any of you wrote your PS exclusively on your accomplishments to this point and have been WL'ed, now you know why.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:24 pm

Waitlisted today, without mention of LEOP. My cycle is over.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:29 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Waitlisted today, without mention of LEOP. My cycle is over.

So sorry Opera...everyone here is rooting for you. Hang in there! And get to work on that LOCI right away!

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:34 pm

swheat wrote:

So sorry Opera...everyone here is rooting for you. Hang in there! And get to work on that LOCI right away!

Thank you... I certainly will! Have you heard if there is a separate waitlist for LEOP? I imagine they would tell me if I was under consideration, but my numbers put me in the running for regular admission.

deadatheist

Postby deadatheist » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:35 pm

oh Opera, you finally heard, that's good news alone!! WL is good too.

i wonder if I've any little envelopes from Hastings in my mailbox today... sigh.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:39 pm

deadatheist wrote:oh Opera, you finally heard, that's good news alone!! WL is good too.

i wonder if I've any little envelopes from Hastings in my mailbox today... sigh.

I hope so, Atheist! Hastings sends little envelopes full of good news.

My parents will be whipsawed over this, though. They wanted me to come home to the Bay Area.

How is your cycle looking right now?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:41 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
swheat wrote:

Thank you... I certainly will! Have you heard if there is a separate waitlist for LEOP? I imagine they would tell me if I was under consideration, but my numbers put me in the running for regular admission.

Nope don't know a/b a separate WL for LEOP. But I think you are right, your numbers make you competitive for regular admission as well. You are out of state right? I would strongly recommend the "Why Hastings" LOCI if so.

deadatheist

Postby deadatheist » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:42 pm

if a cycle can look "meh" and "HYPERSTRESSFUL" at the same time, mine looks something like that. idk a thing until i hear from my mecca, hastings. even if it is wishful thinking.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:47 pm

swheat wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
swheat wrote:

Nope don't know a/b a separate WL for LEOP. But I think you are right, your numbers make you competitive for regular admission as well. You are out of state right? I would strongly recommend the "Why Hastings" LOCI if so.

Thanks! I am bi-coastal. I have an apartment in NYC, but I spend tons of time in the Bay Area with my family, since I am able to do my job anywhere with internet access. I think I am legally a CA resident.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:53 pm

deadatheist wrote:if a cycle can look "meh" and "HYPERSTRESSFUL" at the same time, mine looks something like that. idk a thing until i hear from my mecca, hastings. even if it is wishful thinking.

Oh, I'm so glad I'm not alone! We must have similar numbers, then, and schools. I have four acceptances and two waitlists, which must be unprecedented for an FIT graduate. I'm going to hit the June LSAT out of the park and get IN!

Are you in state at Hastings? Are you waiting on any other schools?

deadatheist

Postby deadatheist » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:18 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
deadatheist wrote:if a cycle can look "meh" and "HYPERSTRESSFUL" at the same time, mine looks something like that. idk a thing until i hear from my mecca, hastings. even if it is wishful thinking.

Oh, I'm so glad I'm not alone! We must have similar numbers, then, and schools. I have four acceptances and two waitlists, which must be unprecedented for an FIT graduate. I'm going to hit the June LSAT out of the park and get IN!

Are you in state at Hastings? Are you waiting on any other schools?

yaay, all this waiting has def made me think "man, if I had just actually studied for the lsat and at least tried for maybe a 167 or something, I wouldn't be in this mess in the first place" i just don't care enough to look at another lsat again...yet. good luck to you though.

we are checking out similar schools (northeastern i love in theory, but need to visit and seriously consider for the pricetag), but our numbers are way different; i'm low lsat, mid(maybe mid-high?) gpa, and so not scoring in the scholarship game... still waiting on 3/4 fin aid packages. idk what my count even is right now...
4 acceptance, 2 wls, and waiting on hastings... bwhaha we are similar-ish!
and yes instate. but frankly, they probably prefer outofstate right now bc that = more dollars!!

and good luck with the loci.

Tebowfan

Postby Tebowfan » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:08 pm

swheat wrote:
macguy4242 wrote:

My WL email said that they "will appreciate if you do not call or email us regarding the waitlist." Don't you think that precludes a LOCI?

They do look strongly at how much interest you have in being in the Bay Area...she specifically mentioned that with regards to the high LSAT ppl that have been getting WL this year (actual example - they don't consider a 4.0/175 applicant from NYC to be serious about Hastings). It's all yield protection for the high score group. But I think the YP could be for the 'normal' LSAT scorers as well, but possibly to a lesser extent. Look on LSN at how many more WL's there are in 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 cycles than the 4 previous cycles. That goes for lower and higher scorers this year.

Thank you for this info. I also thought the "please don't call or email" line in the waitlist notification email meant they didn't want to hear from us until May, when they will contact us "with additional instructions." Maybe I’ll give UCLA another week or so and then send Hastings an honest letter

jibstir13

Postby jibstir13 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:25 pm

I also got waitlisted...Notification via e-mail.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:06 pm

Brutal day for everyone. It's going to be one shitty Passover!

Deadatheist, you don't wanna hear my solution to your troubles, but I seriously wish you the best of luck! My parents are currently fighting over whether I should deposit at Northeastern. It's a wonderful school, if prohibitively expensive. If you haven't been, go visit!

Temple gave me 40% off, but that's it for my cheap options.

I'll be flying to San Francisco within the month to plead my case in person.

Hugs to the other new waitlistees.

mnolen

Postby mnolen » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:15 pm

Has anyone heard about merit aid, besides those who were told in their initial financial aid package? I was under the impression that they would be sending out offers of merit aid separately since it comes from a different office etc. etc.

Lior

Postby Lior » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:39 pm

Tebowfan wrote:
swheat wrote:
macguy4242 wrote:

Thank you for this info. I also thought the "please don't call or email" line in the waitlist notification email meant they didn't want to hear from us until May, when they will contact us "with additional instructions." Maybe I’ll give UCLA another week or so and then send Hastings an honest letter

Yeah, I took it to mean don't call or email. As in, don't email us for any reason, and don't stage a dramatic LOCI reading over the phone to the dean.

I'm def. going to write a LOCI. But I thought I was done with writing! Shucks.

Good luck to everyone else on the WL!!!

SR1313

Postby SR1313 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:00 pm

Withdrew from the waitlist, I have bigger fish to fry, visited them in fall but them waitlisting me put me off, and then I heard that they are UBER competitive.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:02 pm

SR1313 wrote:Withdrew from the waitlist, I have bigger fish to fry, visited them in fall but them waitlisting me put me off, and then I heard that they are UBER competitive.

<3

SR1313

Postby SR1313 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:06 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
SR1313 wrote:Withdrew from the waitlist, I have bigger fish to fry, visited them in fall but them waitlisting me put me off, and then I heard that they are UBER competitive.

<3

Good luck, they are really nice and the area is cool...I would have seriously considered them if they had taken me seriously.

macguy4242

Postby macguy4242 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:55 pm

swheat wrote:
macguy4242 wrote:

NO. According to the asst. admissions director, they strongly consider how likely you are to WANT to be in the Bay Area. Take my case, I live about 20 miles outside SF. They accepted me quickly even with my mediocre 162 LSAT. I think more had to be at play than just my credentials...pretty much everyone 160+ applying to UCH is an accomplished individual.

She said that if people have a strong desire and reason to be in SF, they should let them know by LOCI. Talk about the location near City Hall and CA Supreme Court, and how you 'would be in the middle of everything.' Talk about wanting to get involved in exciting debates like those over gay marriage, etc. all happening just steps from Hastings. That's all they said about themselves at the ASD, so they would likely respond positively if your LOCI talked about these things. Of course other things wouldnt hurt like wanting to do the new Health Law curriculum with UC-SF or the new IP concentration, etc. You get the point.

great. thanks so much for the advice swheat

deadatheist

Postby deadatheist » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:01 pm

joh'kay, another day of waiting. Who's with me still?

gamecock

Postby gamecock » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:16 pm

mnolen wrote:Has anyone heard about merit aid, besides those who were told in their initial financial aid package? I was under the impression that they would be sending out offers of merit aid separately since it comes from a different office etc. etc.

I was under the same impression. Anybody?

SDGirl

Postby SDGirl » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:20 pm

deadatheist wrote:joh'kay, another day of waiting. Who's with me still?

I'm still waiting too... :shock:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”