In at UC Hastings!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
stonepeep

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Postby stonepeep » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:33 pm

Jdub, I'm sorry you had that experience! I'd be frustrated too if I were in your shoes.

I attended the first ASD and actually thought they did a good job selling the school, because the specific questions I had were answered, and the answers I received were positive. I met with some students at the end of the day who are actively involved in doing public interest work in the community (which is what I'd like to do) and was so happy to see how enthusiastic they were. I also spoke one-on-one with a student panelist afterwards and she talked to me about the Davis vs. Hastings choice, which she herself had made, and gave me a lot of helpful information.

I've also attended ASDs at Santa Clara and UC Davis and felt that Hastings' was much, much better than Santa Clara's: more organized, more professional, and above all, much better at selling the school. There was a night and day difference between the attitudes of the students at both schools. Davis's ASD was very similar to Hastings. I felt that both Hastings and Davis really did want to stir up enthusiasm for their schools and did make an effort to present the schools in a positive light.

I think it's important to remember that the ASD's are organized by the admissions' offices and reflect primarily on the ability of those offices to create an event that sells the school. I have had to remind myself throughout the admissions process (for instance, when Davis took over a month to let me know they'd even received my documents) not to judge the entire law school by the staff of one office.

It sounds like I'm lucky that Hastings just "felt right" for me on the ASD. I also went to the Admitted Students' Reception in San Francisco last Thursday and had a great time. I got to speak with some successful, passionate, interesting alumni who love their work and love Hastings, too.

jdub

Postby jdub » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:57 pm

Yeah, these are really good points, and it makes me feel better that you're confident in Hastings... I attended the first ASD as well, and came away from it feeling pretty good. This Saturday was just really ridiculous, so I don't know.

I'm deciding primarily at this point between Hastings and Irvine. Irvine has done such an amazing time selling itself, so maybe thats why in comparison, Hastings seems so unprofessional.

I agree with you on Santa Clara as well. I didn't go to ASD, but I did go to a prospective student event a while back. Totally unimpressive.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:59 pm

jdub wrote:Also (sorry to continue the rant here) I totally agree with the comment above about them never being able to point out why we should go to Hastings. In fact, during the faculty panel I specifically asked "What schools do you consider Hastings' peer schools, and why specifically should we consider Hastings over these peer schools?" Nothing. They totally did not answer my question.

Later on, I cornered one of the admissions folks again and tried to ask the same question. Instead of answering, he explained to me how it would be stupid to consider a much lower ranked school over Hastings. Thing is, I'm not considering lower ranked schools. I'm considering equal or better schools.

My assessment of the whole situation is that they don't give a crap about wooing students. They don't want to bother putting in any effort on an Admitted Students Day to put together a professional and convincing presentation because they really just don't care. They assume that if you get into a better school, you'll go to the better school. And that if Hastings is the best you got into, then you'll go to Hastings. Thats it. Therefore, no effort.

Whats sad is that I would love to go to Hastings over a better school because SF is my home. But I'm so disturbed by how little they seem to care about making a case for prospectives I think in good conscience, I can't go here. Which sucks, but it is what it is I guess.

I was sitting behind you and to your right. I liked that question, and was really disappointed when they didnt give a straight answer. I haven't attended any other ASDs, but I assume that the one at Hastings played out much like the ones at Golden Gate, San Diego, Cal Western, etc. "Environmental Law? Yes! We had a student 2 years back that got on with the Sierra Club." "International Law? Yes! One of our alumni (no mention how long ago) is the director of UNICEF!"

My research has indicated that Hastings is a very strong regional law school in CA. Nothing I heard at the ASD indicated that or reinforces that.

And my girlfriend got sick from their sandwiches.

jdub

Postby jdub » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:10 pm

Also (sorry again for my multiple brain dumps) one comment on the location. If you decide to not attend Hastings only because the surrounding few blocks are a bit dismal, you are nutty!! I love SF and think its easily the most beautiful city in the country. I personally live in Western Addition/Nopa and its just about the best ever.

Its a bit hard to shop for apartments from a distance, because like the TL, every neighborhood has pockets of weirdness. Even in my neighborhood we have the projects on one block, and you move a few streets away and you're surrounded by cafes and bookstores and young people, and a few blocks in the other direction and you're inundated with young couples and strollers and babies. Some excellent neighborhoods from which you could get to campus with total ease either by bike, bus or streetcar include: north beach, soma, haight, cole valley, hayes valley, nopa, western addition, lower pac heights, the marina, russian and nob hills... even Noe, the Mission and the Castro really aren't far at all by bus or streetcar.

Craigslist makes it super easy to shop by neighborhood... :) So don't think you're stuck in the loin!

jdub

Postby jdub » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:14 pm

swheat - ok good to know I wasn't the only one disapointed! I totally agree with your assessment of the weird random stories about random alumni they would vaguely reference and who may or may not have graduated in the past decade.

And that sucks about the sandwich incident.

thelawdad

Postby thelawdad » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:20 am

I (the parent of a 1L) rather look at the result (Hastings as an educator) in shaping my D as a future lawyer..... she is well taught and received tremendous support by the Career Center and will work as an extern this Summer for a Superior Court Judge in the Bay Area based on a highly selective process.

My D. graduated from UCB in 3 years and thought that UC Hastings is a real challenge in comparison.

so.....spend your energy to find out how Hastings can prepare you to be a good lawyer and stop the complain.....

Good Luck.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:10 am

LEOP Applicants: Who else is still waiting? Are we finished?

jdub

Postby jdub » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:43 am

thelawdad wrote:I (the parent of a 1L) rather look at the result (Hastings as an educator) in shaping my D as a future lawyer..... she is well taught and received tremendous support by the Career Center and will work as an extern this Summer for a Superior Court Judge in the Bay Area based on a highly selective process.

My D. graduated from UCB in 3 years and thought that UC Hastings is a real challenge in comparison.

so.....spend your energy to find out how Hastings can prepare you to be a good lawyer and stop the complain.....

Good Luck.

It would have been wonderful to have been able to meet and speak with successful students such as your daughter on Admit Day. It probably would have left me with a much different impression. Instead, we heard from a student panel where none of the students have job prospects, and student tour guides who knew next to nothing about their stated area of interest.

Also, I definitely get your comment about spending our energy trying to find out how Hastings can prepare us (versus complaining about Hastings)... but I think thats what I've been trying to do. And unfortunately, I haven't had much luck with it (definitely not for lack of my trying - I've attended BOTH admit days, emailed professors and admissions staff, etc. trying to get answers to my questions.)

Finally, I'm not sure if its complaining until I actually commit to going to Hastings. Till then, I think its just comparative shopping.

readereader

Postby readereader » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:36 am

I was at ASD on Saturday, and would like to respond to some of what I'm seeing here on the board.

I would say that regarding the questions as to why a student should choose Hastings over another school... I think the professors gave precisely the answer you would expect to hear from a professor. I know it's a professional school and that most students are there to become professionals and are at least partly there because of money/status, but a professor is someone who has consciously made the decision to stay in academia. They gave good answers as to why the academic environment at Hastings is preferable to the academic environment elsewhere. And as far as people being upset that they weren't told that Hastings is as competitive as Boalt and Stanford.... well, if they had said Hastings was as well regarded as Boalt and Stanford, everyone would be on this board b***ing about how Hastings has an inflated sense of its own worth. I'm glad they didn't lie to us. While I wasn't dazzled by anything (except the Gold reading room - dude, I want to study in there!), I was glad that they were letting me judge the school on the merits it truly has instead of lying to me by pretending the school is something that it's not.

As far as not being impressed by the location, it's just not a great location. There's not much they could do to spruce up the TL, so they just showed it as it is. What on earth were you expecting from a neighborhood called the Tenderloin? It's not Grover's Corners. Just get some pepper spray, be alert to your surroundings and use the buddy system. Take a self-defense class, because that's just good sense. And if you really can't get past it, go somewhere like Davis (I'm not trying to be hostile, I'm just saying you shouldn't go somewhere you're truly uncomfortable - but be aware wandering around alone at night can get you mugged anywhere, even Davis).

I think we all know that Hastings is a good school. If you're looking for a different environment, go to a school with different environment. I really appreciated the answer that Professor Levine gave - Hastings, Davis and their peer schools are all ranked a few points apart. Choosing Hastings over Davis or the other way around is certainly a choice between two different institutions, but you have a chance to be a great success coming out of either of these schools... just pick the one you like better.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:49 am

readereader wrote:I was at ASD on Saturday, and would like to respond to some of what I'm seeing here on the board.

I would say that regarding the questions as to why a student should choose Hastings over another school... I think the professors gave precisely the answer you would expect to hear from a professor. I know it's a professional school and that most students are there to become professionals and are at least partly there because of money/status, but a professor is someone who has consciously made the decision to stay in academia. They gave good answers as to why the academic environment at Hastings is preferable to the academic environment elsewhere. And as far as people being upset that they weren't told that Hastings is as competitive as Boalt and Stanford.... well, if they had said Hastings was as well regarded as Boalt and Stanford, everyone would be on this board b***ing about how Hastings has an inflated sense of its own worth. I'm glad they didn't lie to us. While I wasn't dazzled by anything (except the Gold reading room - dude, I want to study in there!), I was glad that they were letting me judge the school on the merits it truly has instead of lying to me by pretending the school is something that it's not.

As far as not being impressed by the location, it's just not a great location. There's not much they could do to spruce up the TL, so they just showed it as it is. What on earth were you expecting from a neighborhood called the Tenderloin? It's not Grover's Corners. Just get some pepper spray, be alert to your surroundings and use the buddy system. Take a self-defense class, because that's just good sense. And if you really can't get past it, go somewhere like Davis (I'm not trying to be hostile, I'm just saying you shouldn't go somewhere you're truly uncomfortable - but be aware wandering around alone at night can get you mugged anywhere, even Davis).

I think we all know that Hastings is a good school. If you're looking for a different environment, go to a school with different environment. I really appreciated the answer that Professor Levine gave - Hastings, Davis and their peer schools are all ranked a few points apart. Choosing Hastings over Davis or the other way around is certainly a choice between two different institutions, but you have a chance to be a great success coming out of either of these schools... just pick the one you like better.

My only wish is that there had been more of a focus on the professional rather than the academic. At lunch, the Israeli crimlaw professor seemed shocked that we had asked about the curve, and told us "don't worry about your grades so much...there's so much to do here. I just led a panel on the CA criminal system and 40 students showed up on a Saturday." I mean, I understand that academics are in a totally different realm than us, but I would hope that they would understand our viewpoint and understand the realities of the legal job market. "Not worrying about your grades" even at a good school like Hastings is IMO terrible advice.

I agree...TL, not so bad. And you are right, go to Davis if you like a traditional, "safe" campus.

readereader

Postby readereader » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:57 am

swheat wrote:My only wish is that there had been more of a focus on the professional rather than the academic. At lunch, the Israeli crimlaw professor seemed shocked that we had asked about the curve, and told us "don't worry about your grades so much...there's so much to do here. I just led a panel on the CA criminal system and 40 students showed up on a Saturday." I mean, I understand that academics are in a totally different realm than us, but I would hope that they would understand our viewpoint and understand the realities of the legal job market. "Not worrying about your grades" even at a good school like Hastings is IMO terrible advice.

I agree...TL, not so bad. And you are right, go to Davis if you like a traditional, "safe" campus.

I'll give you that - I got a little tired of the profs telling us not to worry about our grades so much - but I'm also an ex-teacher and I know where they're coming from. What they should have said was that in order to achieve the high grades we all want, we're going to have to really focus on the academic side, and stop thinking purely in terms of class rank. Some sort of Zen maxim could have been used there, like we must ignore our desires in order to achieve our desires. I don't think they actually meant not to worry about school, I just think that all teachers get sick of the grade questions.

As far as focusing on the professional side, I thought that the woman from career services did a pretty thorough (and again, realistic) job explaining all that. She talked about odds in different parts of the country, what an externship is, and why a person would want one, etc. (I could have lived without her repeated use of the word "dialogue" as a verb, but otherwise, I thought it was a good presentation.) People asked the same questions in there about ranking, etc., and she gave pretty satisfactory answers, I thought. But I think a lot of people went to the student panel and financial aid thing and skipped career services. I recommend giving them a call if you still have questions about employment, etc., because she seemed knowledgeable.

craneaa

Postby craneaa » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:10 pm

jdub wrote:Dude, Saturday was the worst ASD EVER!

I went to the first one, but went again on Saturday because I had some specific questions I wanted answered.... here are some highlights...

There was a student panel, and in response to the question "What are you plans after graduation? Did you all get the jobs you wanted, and was it worth the student loans you took out to get there?" All four answered "Actually, I haven't been able to find a job yet..." Hmm. I mean, I get the economy sucks, but wouldn't you select your four most impressive students to woo applicants? I mean really now. Salesmanship, people. Afterwards, I talked to one of the admissions people about it and she said "Yeah, that was embarassing. I never thought to ask them if they had jobs when I put them on the panel." What? Why wouldn't you ask that???

As for the faculty panel, they only could get 2 professors to show up. 2. Out of how many. Again, where is the salesmanship.

Next gripe: I met with a current student who is studying my same interest area. I asked why she chose Hastings since they aren't know for our interest area. Her answer: "My boyfriend lives here." Then I asked about student clubs in my interest area. Her answer: "They really aren't active." Then I asked if I could get the names of some professors who practice in our supposed similar interest area. Nothing. Got nothing.

I have gotten into better schools than Hastings, but I want desperately to stay in the City. I love it here in SF! I was trying to get them to put some sort of effort into selling me. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Pathetic.

JDub- I could not agree more re: the student panel. I feel like that fact alone (none of the 3L's had jobs [and to be fair, the 4th person was a 1L, so you can't fault her for not having a job]) ruined the day. I was impressed with their facilities and the TL was not as bad as I had been led to believe, so I was happy with that aspect. However, the fact that your 3 3L's DO NOT HAVE JOBS is messed up. I get that the economy is bad and it's difficult for even capable people to find good work, but you're selling your school here- putting up 3 jobless 3L's reflects very poorly on the school. I mean, let's be honest here, no matter how great a school looks and how much you love the profs and the student body, job prospects are the bottom line. I know I'm ranting here, but I am still shocked that they put 3 jobless 3L's up there. Also, my student tour guide was not the most impressive/informative person. A nice enough guy, but really provided no special input.

Like you, I am considering UCH over higher ranked schools because I want to work in SF so very badly. Overall, though not terrible, their ASD was the worst I have attended. I am still considering it, though. The building and it's facilities were comfortable and modern, way nicer than I had heard.

jdub

Postby jdub » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:11 pm

I agree with your comment about career services... I went to the career services presentation on both ASDs, and both times they were really great discussions. They were given by different women each time, and both were totally different presentations and totally helpful. Both women seemed super with it.

Rest of ASD, not so with it.

Again, not trying to cut on Hastings... I just wish we had been given the opportunity to speak with some really stellar students. Students with actual jobs or clerkships. Students who were excited about what they were studying. Students who could answer my questions, or give me the names of staff or faculty that could answer my questions. None of this took place. Maybe all of those students are too busy on their Saturdays, but really, it would have been a little helpful in my decision making. Thats all I'm saying. I think thats a pretty reasonable point.

Also, I wasn't hoping that UCH would tell me how they are as good as Boalt or Stanford. I was hoping they would tell me why I should go to Hastings over PEER schools, or, in my case, schools that are ranked a bit higher, but are located in places I don't want to be. Again, totally crazy of me? No. Kind of reasonable, since I'm about to take out huge loans to finance my legal education.

misteranthro

Postby misteranthro » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:16 pm

In case anyone is wondering how to quantify just how "bad" or "good" the area is, I am attaching a link from the San Francisco Police Department website for a visual mapping application of crimes occurring within the past 90 days. You can search for specific types of crime, as well as for specific locations. Rather than making an assessment based on another person's arbitrary judgment, I would suggest running a search on various areas and cross-checking those against the 1/4 mile radius surrounding Hyde and McAllister (the school cross-streets).

--LinkRemoved--

jdub

Postby jdub » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:18 pm

craneaa wrote: JDub- I could not agree more re: the student panel. I feel like that fact alone (none of the 3L's had jobs [and to be fair, the 4th person was a 1L, so you can't fault her for not having a job]) ruined the day. I was impressed with their facilities and the TL was not as bad as I had been led to believe, so I was happy with that aspect. However, the fact that your 3 3L's DO NOT HAVE JOBS is messed up. I get that the economy is bad and it's difficult for even capable people to find good work, but you're selling your school here- putting up 3 jobless 3L's reflects very poorly on the school. I mean, let's be honest here, no matter how great a school looks and how much you love the profs and the student body, job prospects are the bottom line. I know I'm ranting here, but I am still shocked that they put 3 jobless 3L's up there. Also, my student tour guide was not the most impressive/informative person. A nice enough guy, but really provided no special input.

Like you, I am considering UCH over higher ranked schools because I want to work in SF so very badly. Overall, though not terrible, their ASD was the worst I have attended. I am still considering it, though. The building and it's facilities were comfortable and modern, way nicer than I had heard.

craneaa - ha! It sounds like you and I are in the exact same situation!! I feel like people on here are getting annoyed I'm questioning Hastings, but really! It was a really poor ASD! I don't have a lot else to work off of, other than ASD, right? I mean really.

If you're going to have a student panel, one must assume that you would select your most impressive students to be on the panel. If those were your most impressive students, then thanks but no thanks.

Similarly, if you choose tour guides that aren't informed about your school, don't have jobs, and can't tell me where I can get answers to my questions that they can't answer themselves, why select those people to be tour guides??? Again, one would assume they would choose their most impressive students, and again, I failed to be impressed. To put it mildly.

craneaa

Postby craneaa » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:26 pm

jdub wrote:
craneaa - ha! It sounds like you and I are in the exact same situation!! I feel like people on here are getting annoyed I'm questioning Hastings, but really! It was a really poor ASD! I don't have a lot else to work off of, other than ASD, right? I mean really.

If you're going to have a student panel, one must assume that you would select your most impressive students to be on the panel. If those were your most impressive students, then thanks but no thanks.

Similarly, if you choose tour guides that aren't informed about your school, don't have jobs, and can't tell me where I can get answers to my questions that they can't answer themselves, why select those people to be tour guides??? Again, one would assume they would choose their most impressive students, and again, I failed to be impressed. To put it mildly.

Agreed. I was impressed by most everything BUT the current students. They all seemed like nice enough people, for sure, but my tour guide was decidedly unenthusiastic, and I could not agree more re: that student panel. It reflects poorly on both the school's placement ability and it's overall competence. I cannot believe the woman told you she didn't know they didn't have jobs and "didn't think to ask." Question to all prospective law students: what is the bottom line most important aspect of going to law school? Answer: the ability to get a freaking job!

I think I most pissed because they didn't need to do too much to convince me, because I really want to practice in SF and I know UCH is my best option for that. Now, I'm having second thoughts. Again, like you, I'm not trying to belittle UCH, it's still a great school, but I just came away with more concerns than answers from the ASD. Again, I still may go there, the decision is just more complicated now.

Edit: I feel like I may be being too harsh. I do want to reiterate that the building, overall facilities, and faculty I talked with were impressive. The student panel and tour guide are really the only things I was concerned about, it's just that those things did cause me a great deal of concern.

underpirate57

Postby underpirate57 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:32 pm

I attended the first ASD, but I did not attend the student panel. I am worried (understatement) to read that the panelists did not have jobs. My question is: did any of these students talk about what they were doing to get jobs? Did they talk about why they didn't have offers? Did they still recommend Hastings? I know that if I was an unemployed 3L, I would not praise UCH--I would tell all the admitted students to not attend!

Anyone who was there, please let me know.

craneaa

Postby craneaa » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:39 pm

underpirate57 wrote:I attended the first ASD, but I did not attend the student panel. I am worried (understatement) to read that the panelists did not have jobs. My question is: did any of these students talk about what they were doing to get jobs? Did they talk about why they didn't have offers? Did they still recommend Hastings? I know that if I was an unemployed 3L, I would not praise UCH--I would tell all the admitted students to not attend!

One of the 3L's said he has a prospective job with the California state government, but his position may not be available after taking the bar due to budget considerations (I believe this was the case, perhaps someone can more definitively say so). Another one said the firm she worked at during 2L summer dissolved. The third one didn't really elaborate, he merely said he had a few leads but nothing definite. They were all very enthusiastic about the school, for sure, and none of them blamed Hastings or anything like that.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:46 pm

underpirate57 wrote:I attended the first ASD, but I did not attend the student panel. I am worried (understatement) to read that the panelists did not have jobs. My question is: did any of these students talk about what they were doing to get jobs? Did they talk about why they didn't have offers? Did they still recommend Hastings? I know that if I was an unemployed 3L, I would not praise UCH--I would tell all the admitted students to not attend!

One was bottom of his class. One was 1L. One had a job offer that went away when the firm collapsed. And I may be wrong but I thought the 4th guy (the student body pres.) had a job?

jdub

Postby jdub » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:48 pm

craneaa wrote:
I think I most pissed because they didn't need to do too much to convince me, because I really want to practice in SF and I know UCH is my best option for that.
[/quote]

I am totally with you. I want really badly to be sold. I was going into ASD really hopeful for someone to help me want to go here.

We probably are being too harsh. But again, I am about to go into HUGE DEBT. Its a stressful decision. And probably the biggest one I will be making in a really, really long time. So while I don't want to be harsh, I do want to think about this all pretty critically. I owe that to myself (and my savings account). As do all of us.

But, when I go on the websites of firms that I want to work for, and click on the practice area I'm interested in, a whole lot of those attorneys have degrees from Hastings. So there you go.

jdub

Postby jdub » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:51 pm

swheat wrote:
One was bottom of his class. One was 1L. One had a job offer that went away when the firm collapsed. And I may be wrong but I thought the 4th guy (the student body pres.) had a job?

I think the student body pres was the one that was waiting until after the bar to find out if he was getting the govt job he was hoping for.

One was bottom of his class? Great! Invite him to be on a panel!

I actually don't remember him saying that. I hope thats not true. He seemed really nice.

craneaa

Postby craneaa » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:53 pm

swheat wrote:

Wait, one was bottom of his class? How did I miss that? Student body pres. had a tentative job that may or may not exist post-bar exam, I think.

jdub

Postby jdub » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:54 pm

Also, to be fair, all the panelists did praise hastings and say that it was worth the student loans.

And I would assume that if they didn't feel that way, they wouldn't have volunteered to be there that day. But still. I know there's got to be students with great jobs (at least 4 of them!) at Hastings. Would have been nice to have heard from them.

craneaa

Postby craneaa » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:55 pm

jdub wrote:I am totally with you. I want really badly to be sold. I was going into ASD really hopeful for someone to help me want to go here.

We probably are being too harsh. But again, I am about to go into HUGE DEBT. Its a stressful decision. And probably the biggest one I will be making in a really, really long time. So while I don't want to be harsh, I do want to think about this all pretty critically. I owe that to myself (and my savings account). As do all of us.

But, when I go on the websites of firms that I want to work for, and click on the practice area I'm interested in, a whole lot of those attorneys have degrees from Hastings. So there you go.

Without a doubt, I am in the same exact boat. I definitely won't let one poor student panel and one poor tour guide convince me to not attend a school. I was just miffed, that's all.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:02 pm

jdub wrote:
swheat wrote:

I think the student body pres was the one that was waiting until after the bar to find out if he was getting the govt job he was hoping for.

One was bottom of his class? Great! Invite him to be on a panel!

I actually don't remember him saying that. I hope thats not true. He seemed really nice.

I thought he made a joke about how he 'was nowhere near the top' and something about how he didn't study as hard as he should have. He could have been one of those annoying people who finishes like 20th in the class and studies 8 hours a day but doesn't want to admit to it.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”