In at UC Hastings!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mnolen

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Postby mnolen » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:19 pm

My fin aid isn't up yet... should I be freaked out?

misteranthro

Postby misteranthro » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:29 pm

No...I called today. They sent out a batch yesterday, but have many that they are reviewing this week to go out in the next two weeks. Maybe some scholarship recipients will drop out and increase the money pool.

mnolen

Postby mnolen » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:11 pm

Oy... my hopes were really up when I saw that a bunch of people had received theirs. I have the feeling that not being in this first batch may signal a not-so-great package. Seriously, I just want some news since I'm still waiting on replies from 4 schools.

Mr. Sparkle

Postby Mr. Sparkle » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:48 pm

Did anyone in this last batch get any merit aid? I read on the financial aid website that merit based awards go out in the middle of April and would like some evidence that I may still have hope for some more financial aid...

law0000

Postby law0000 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:41 pm

I have a quick question for anyone who went to the last admitted students day:

I was planning to make the 4.5 hour drive to Hastings this Saturday but I'm running into some scheduling conflicts. Was the day really beneficial or do you think taking a tour and visiting the admissions office on some other weekend would due. I haven't been to any of these programs yet so I don't know what to expect. Any thoughts?

dlm2100

Postby dlm2100 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:32 am

law0000 wrote:I have a quick question for anyone who went to the last admitted students day:

I was planning to make the 4.5 hour drive to Hastings this Saturday but I'm running into some scheduling conflicts. Was the day really beneficial or do you think taking a tour and visiting the admissions office on some other weekend would due. I haven't been to any of these programs yet so I don't know what to expect. Any thoughts?

I went to the one on March 21st...Here's how it will go - you'll get there and randomly find the law school in the midst of other buildings. There will be bums, but it's all good. You'll get your name tag and folder containing the handouts they've already sent you in the admissions packet and an itinerary for the day. You'll go to the main auditorium room - coffee, bread, bagels, admissions staff members, and profs will greet you like you're at friggin' Cheers. Some of them will assemble on stage and go on about how this is their best class ever (yadi yah yah) and why Hastings is so great (they'll mention the courts around the school/location/city A LOT) and eventually let you go to the individual presentations.

You can choose two out of the three 1-hour sessions. Yes, 2 out of 3. Stupid, right? There were 3 presentations: a student panel (q&a session), financing your education (I didn't go), and a career services presentation (powerpoint).

The student panel was unimpressive. Most of the admits had good questions, I just hope the students they select for you (probably volunteers though) are more prepared and give answers that don't contain the word 'like' in every sentence. They plucked two of the four straight from the snack bar I swear.

The career office's presentation (a one lady show) was well-organized and the woman seems to like her job, but you obviously have to take what all law schools say with a grain of salt. She was quick to acknowledge that this economy is terrible and that it requires harder work by her and the students to find jobs. Yes, they do well in the Bay Area, and yes, Hastings has judges everywhere. Again though, every law school will be hyping themselves to potential buyers on ASDs.

'Financing your education' seems pretty straightforward to me. It's information that's readily available online and doesn't help someone trying to get a feel for the school as well as the other two will in my opinion. Ask someone who goes to it to give you the gist if you want - maybe other TLSers?

The lunch after these two presentations was great. It was my favorite part of the day because of all the professors roaming around to talk with whoever would have them. The one that sat down at my table answered all my questions. It was very beneficial and gave me a good feeling of the kind of people that would be educating me (they taught 1L classes).

The final part of the day was a panel with 3 professors. They each gave a little speech about why they're at Hastings and what they love about the school. They seemed very genuine. The q&a with them produced some idiotic questions from the large group, but mostly it was good.

The last part of the day was a tour with a student (library, reading room, classrooms, moot court, bookstore, tower, etc.) that eventually ended up at the top of McAllister Tower. Great views! More snacks. The bartender and open bar was surprising. j/k - I wish.

It won't kill you to miss it, but I'm glad I went. Davis is this weekend.

p.s. Walking down Market Street to Union Square in the misty rain around 4:30 pm was really fucking sketchy.

law0000

Postby law0000 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Thank you so much for taking the time to write all that. I really appreciate it.

dlm2100

Postby dlm2100 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:31 am

You're welcome.

herewego

Postby herewego » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:36 am

dlm2100 wrote:I just hope the students they select for you (probably volunteers though) are more prepared and give answers that don't contain the word 'like' in every sentence. They plucked two of the four straight from the snack bar I swear.

I know exactly the two you are referring to and they nearly made me run for the exit. I know Hastings is all about diversity, but is sorority girl a URM?

I made the mistake of attending the financial aid session. It was absolutely basic. If you have savings, use it. Then take out loans. Lots and lots of loans. Just check the website.

Lior

Postby Lior » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:48 am

mnolen wrote:My fin aid isn't up yet... should I be freaked out?

My decision hasn't arrived and I am totally freaked out. Complete since early December. I mean, really? Who does that.

Congrats to all you admits!! Please share your impressions of the place after the admit day this weekend-

jdub

Postby jdub » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:14 am

I was actually really glad I went to the Hastings Admit day in March... Even though I would kill to stay in the City (I'm in SF right now) I had almost totally dropped Hastings from my short list and was thinking that I was headed to either Davis or Irvine.

After Admit Day, they are back on the short list.

I didn't attend the student panel, but I did think the finaid presentation was useful... yeah its 90% basic stuff, but it was helpful to meet the finaid people, get their cards, get clarification on Hastings' timelines (since they seem so behind the other schools), etc.

(Question: why do so many people bring their parents to Admit Day? Really? All through the Finaid presentation, I was sitting next to a mom who was taking notes on behalf of her douchey son who sat there doing nothing the whole time. Is mom going to take notes for you in class too? Really?)

deadatheist

Postby deadatheist » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:37 pm

herewego wrote:My decision hasn't arrived and I am totally freaked out. Complete since early December. I mean, really? Who does that.

i have a hard time believing that i've actually been waiting for a decision from hastings for what will soon be 6 months. some of us have literally spent almost 1/2 of a year waiting for a hastings email/envelope.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:38 pm

deadatheist wrote:
herewego wrote:My decision hasn't arrived and I am totally freaked out. Complete since early December. I mean, really? Who does that.

i have a hard time believing that i've actually been waiting for a decision from hastings for what will soon be 6 months. some of us have literally spent almost 1/2 of a year waiting for a hastings email/envelope.

Crazy...I got accepted in just over 2 weeks, with a sub-stellar 3.8/162.

I'm guessing you have pretty high stats? YP is Hastings MO this year.

deadatheist

Postby deadatheist » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:43 pm

deadatheist wrote:

nooope, im on the lower end of the spectrum (160, 3.6+), but hopeful for at least a wl. a rejection after this long would feel unnecessarily cruel to me.

mposner

Postby mposner » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:53 pm

deadatheist wrote:
deadatheist wrote:

nooope, im on the lower end of the spectrum (160, 3.6+), but hopeful for at least a wl. a rejection after this long would feel unnecessarily cruel to me.

I will join you in this group....6 months and not a peep. I called the office last week, and I am still in Review. Do you think they are holding our applications after the first deposit date? I am a reverse splitter.

emergencybarbie

Postby emergencybarbie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:00 pm

I'm with you guys too. I've been complete for almost 6 months now and still not a peep. I've been expecting a wl but any decision would be nice about now.

deadatheist

Postby deadatheist » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:02 pm

^from stalking lsn just now, it looks like they have barely begun to make decisions for reverse splitters, or most 159s, 160s with decent gpas, and even 161s with sub 3.7ish gpas. even the decent lsats 162-164 with low gpas (if we say anything below 3.4 = low) are still waiting.
they're just holding off it seems on anyone who seems borderline with their numbers, the slightest splits. probably in for a wait until they start hearing back from all the people they've accepted so far, i guess. but why not just send a courtesy wl to us, right? :|

emergencybarbie

Postby emergencybarbie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:05 pm

I'm sorry there are so many of us in waiting hell right now but I'm kind of glad to know I'm not the only one. I was starting to feel like my app had fallen behind someone's desk and been forgotten.

deadatheist

Postby deadatheist » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:08 pm

anyone sent in supplemental materials (pre-dec loci, updated whatever) since going complete? I wonder if hastings actually does the whole: send-somthing-in,-to-the-bottom-of-the-pile-you-go! method.

emergencybarbie

Postby emergencybarbie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:12 pm

deadatheist wrote:anyone sent in supplemental materials (pre-dec loci, updated whatever) since going complete? I wonder if hastings actually does the whole: send-somthing-in,-to-the-bottom-of-the-pile-you-go! method.

I haven't. I've considered withdrawing at this point but I really feel like I deserve at least a decision!

joobacca

Postby joobacca » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:58 pm

i've been complete since january. don't withdraw. i paid 75 bucks. i am getting a fucking decision.

mnolen

Postby mnolen » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:27 pm

yeah, those girls on the student panel were pretty priceless... they seemed, um, nice?

mposner

Postby mposner » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:03 pm

emergencybarbie wrote:
deadatheist wrote:anyone sent in supplemental materials (pre-dec loci, updated whatever) since going complete? I wonder if hastings actually does the whole: send-somthing-in,-to-the-bottom-of-the-pile-you-go! method.

I haven't. I've considered withdrawing at this point but I really feel like I deserve at least a decision!

I actually called to make sure they hadn't lost my application. I paid the money and just want the decision. My fiance was was one of the first admits. Luckily, we have six other matches, but it would be nice to at least know one way or another!

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:17 pm

mposner wrote:
emergencybarbie wrote:

I actually called to make sure they hadn't lost my application. I paid the money and just want the decision. My fiance was was one of the first admits. Luckily, we have six other matches, but it would be nice to at least know one way or another!

Is it csc2law?

mposner

Postby mposner » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:14 pm

swheat wrote:
mposner wrote:
emergencybarbie wrote:

Is it csc2law?

Is what csc2law?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”