In at UC Hastings!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dlm2100

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Postby dlm2100 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:05 pm

ajrm116 wrote:
swheat wrote:How rich/poor are people relatively speaking? I mean if you got a grant, are you middle class? If you didn't get a grant, are you upper class?

I am solidly middle class...my parents live in Mississippi. My dad has no college degree and earns less than 20k a year. Their networth is somewhat large but only bc they bought land cheap in the 80s.

No grants here. I am furious

I am from a middle class family, but am independent. I own no property and make <20k a year. I got a 7,900 grant.

Also, is it the consensus that it's fairly easy to become a CA resident for tuition purposes in 2L and 3L? Or did I just dream that up?

+1 & yes, it's fairly easy to establish residency...

--LinkRemoved--

ajrm116

Postby ajrm116 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:17 pm

dlm2100 wrote:+1 & yes, it's fairly easy to establish residency...

--LinkRemoved--

Cool, thanks, it does look pretty easy. That 20k or so in savings could be huge.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:25 pm

Just talked to a finaid officer. She claims that only people who have 'close to nothing' are eligible for grants. To this I replied, "So 75% of Hastings students have NO savings?" And she said, 'yes pretty much.' The average entering age is 24...that means there are a significant number of Hastings students with work experience. They have NO savings??? Really?

God this is bullshit.

jdub

Postby jdub » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:47 pm

If only I had blown all my money in Vegas last year like I WANTED to!!!!! Doh!!!

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:50 pm

jdub wrote:If only I had blown all my money in Vegas last year like I WANTED to!!!!! Doh!!!

EXACTLY...that's my point exactly. I could have purchased a house! I could have blown my 30k on a condo in the East Bay and Hastings would have given it right back to me in grants. I get JACK SHIT for my responsible financial habits.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:51 pm

I'm interested to hear if any grant recipients have any substantial savings.

sflawguy

Postby sflawguy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:59 pm

swheat wrote:Just talked to a finaid officer. She claims that only people who have 'close to nothing' are eligible for grants. To this I replied, "So 75% of Hastings students have NO savings?" And she said, 'yes pretty much.' The average entering age is 24...that means there are a significant number of Hastings students with work experience. They have NO savings??? Really?

God this is bullshit.

Do the financial aid office or FAFSA verify what applicants report? Do most people lie and say they have no savings?

I suppose I would be penalized with no financial aid because I've worked everyday since undergrad and stashed half my paycheck for law school, while someone with no savings, who sat their lazy ass on dad's couch, traveled the world, etc., get's all the money?

Sounds fair.........

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:03 pm

sflawguy wrote:
swheat wrote:Just talked to a finaid officer. She claims that only people who have 'close to nothing' are eligible for grants. To this I replied, "So 75% of Hastings students have NO savings?" And she said, 'yes pretty much.' The average entering age is 24...that means there are a significant number of Hastings students with work experience. They have NO savings??? Really?

God this is bullshit.

Do the financial aid office or FAFSA verify what applicants report? Do most people lie and say they have no savings?

I suppose I would be penalized with no financial aid because I've worked everyday since undergrad and stashed half my paycheck for law school, while someone with no savings, who sat their lazy ass on dad's couch, traveled the world, etc., get's all the money?

Sounds fair.........

I feel your pain. My 30k came from 2 places: childhood savings since I was about 6 or 7, and saving large chunks the last 2 years of FT work.

They randomly select 1/3 of applications for evaluation. So you have 1/3 chance of getting busted.

gooru

Postby gooru » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:21 pm

x
Last edited by gooru on Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:26 pm

gooru wrote:Yeah, this has finally motivated me to post at TLS. :? Hastings at sticker is a much tougher sell for me. Then again, it's not like I have a choice at the moment.

Does anyone know what the criteria are for financial independence at Hastings? I can't find the info anywhere. The only two things that I can think of preventing me from getting grants are a substantial amount of retirement savings (do they really expect me to make early withdrawals from an IRA???) and my parents' income. But geez, I haven't gotten any sort of financial assistance for five years.

Financial independence isn't going to help you. The lady I talked to told me bluntly that my 0 grants had nothing to do with my parents. It was entirely based on my amount of savings. If you have money in the bank, you don't get a grant. It's that simple. "Close to nothing" were her exact words regarding those who got grants. And yes she claims 75% of the class has "close to nothing"

misteranthro

Postby misteranthro » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:27 pm

gooru wrote:Yeah, this has finally motivated me to post at TLS. :? Hastings at sticker is a much tougher sell for me. Then again, it's not like I have a choice at the moment.

Does anyone know what the criteria are for financial independence at Hastings? I can't find the info anywhere. The only two things that I can think of preventing me from getting grants are a substantial amount of retirement savings (do they really expect me to make early withdrawals from an IRA???) and my parents' income. But geez, I haven't gotten any sort of financial assistance for five years.

Unfortunately, Hastings evaluates this on a case-by-case basis and doesn't have a specific formula unless you are over 30. For me, I have 7 years of documentation that I hope prove my independence. Either way, the family is working class so it probably won't destroy me if they are included.

artp

Postby artp » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:31 pm

same here. was responsible, saved money and bought a condo and now they're saying I made too much money and didn't even offer any grants or even loan options. They estimated that I can pay $75k out of my own pocket. I'm going down to financial aid office tomorrow to figure out how the hell are they expecting me to come up with $75k out of my own pocket when I don't even make that in a year and pay $50k a year for mortgage?!!!

I guess you have to be dirt poor or super rich to afford law school.

Let me know if anyone is in similar situation where their award letter didn't even offer them loan packages and I'll let you know what they'll tell me tomorrow.

swheat wrote:
jdub wrote:If only I had blown all my money in Vegas last year like I WANTED to!!!!! Doh!!!

EXACTLY...that's my point exactly. I could have purchased a house! I could have blown my 30k on a condo in the East Bay and Hastings would have given it right back to me in grants. I get JACK SHIT for my responsible financial habits.

jdub

Postby jdub » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:39 pm

Not sure what the independence criteria are... I'm 29 and already put myself through as masters degree with no help from the parents, but I still had to provide their info on my Needs Access application. Whhhhy???? I was told to write a letter explaining my 'special circumstances' (being 29 and not getting any money from mom and dad is a 'special circumstance'? really?)... but have no idea if any one ever read it.

For the rest of you guys, was your estimated student/family contribution higher on your Hastings package than the packages you got from other schools? Mine was higher by about $10K give or take, then what other schools quoted me... Hmmm...

gooru

Postby gooru » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:47 pm

x

deadatheist

Postby deadatheist » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:52 pm

what fire.

...you all have been accepted, some of us still waiting would trade your un/fair/satisfactory fin aid packages for a mere response.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:57 pm

gooru wrote:
jdub wrote:For the rest of you guys, was your estimated student/family contribution higher on your Hastings package than the packages you got from other schools? Mine was higher by about $10K give or take, then what other schools quoted me... Hmmm...

I can't compare to other schools, but my ES/FC was only a little over $2k. Yet, no grants! Just lots and lots of loans...

JESUS! Mine was like 14k, so I am nowhere close!

They really meant it...your ES/FC must be close to zero to get any hastings grants. WHERE DOES THAT 75% FIGURE COME FROM?

I should have applied to more places. Screw you California and HasTTTings.

leron

Postby leron » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:00 pm

just to add to the confusion, my efc was over 20k and i got a grant. i think it's fair, though, considering my whole financial situation.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:01 pm

deadatheist wrote:what fire.

...you all have been accepted, some of us still waiting would trade your un/fair/satisfactory fin aid packages for a mere response.

Thats what is so sick and twisted about the higher education and student loan industries in America. They have everyone by the balls and they know it. How else do you shake off the chains of a middle class road to nowhere?? There's only one way and thats by selling your soul for 150k. For every one person not willing to sell their soul, there are 10 more who are.

'Cause there ain't no doubt I love thisss land...

Reverend Wright had it right .... GOD DAMN AMERICA

gooru

Postby gooru » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:02 pm

x

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:02 pm

leron wrote:just to add to the confusion, my efc was over 20k and i got a grant. i think it's fair, though, considering my whole financial situation.

Please elaborate. No need for specifics, but a few more details could help add to my already boiling blood pressure.

jdub

Postby jdub » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:04 pm

Wow, I am so confused by this process! So there is no correlation between the EFC and grants???

And savings is the sole determinant of grants, while current income is the biggest determinant of EFC?

It all defies logic.

leron

Postby leron » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:07 pm

i've been out of school for almost 5 years. i make pretty good money now which probably contributed to the efc calculation. i still have quite a bit of undergrad loans that i'm paying off, however. my parents didn't help me in ug and they have a low income and quite a bit of debt. and i'm a ca resident, sw, i really think that's a part of it.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:19 pm

leron wrote:i've been out of school for almost 5 years. i make pretty good money now which probably contributed to the efc calculation. i still have quite a bit of undergrad loans that i'm paying off, however. my parents didn't help me in ug and they have a low income and quite a bit of debt. and i'm a ca resident, sw, i really think that's a part of it.

As am I. I only grew up and went to undergrad in MS. I have lived in CA for about a year now. Moved here for the sole purpose of getting instate tuition (which isn't even that cheap anymore...out of state at CU Boulder is 32k)

kimins

Postby kimins » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:18 pm

just wondering why hastings is so liberal with their loans and not their grants---i got twice in grants from a uc davis estimate (havent received my final yet from ucd)---is it because they are so big that they need to spread the wealth?---i refuse to take out the unsubsidized loan hastings has given me--screw that--ill live very meagerly

danconstan

Postby danconstan » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:59 pm

kimins wrote:just wondering why hastings is so liberal with their loans and not their grants---i got twice in grants from a uc davis estimate (havent received my final yet from ucd)---is it because they are so big that they need to spread the wealth?---i refuse to take out the unsubsidized loan hastings has given me--screw that--ill live very meagerly

Can you choose which individuals offers you want and which you don't. I mean...if you choose to not accept the non-subsidized loans, which is probably the majority of the full package, don't you need to let the school know how you will be raising the remainder of the money needed to well...survive. For example, if you receive a 60K package and reject 20K worth of non-subsidized loans, you can't be expected to survive on those loans without other new sources of aid. But if you have new sources of aid, you need to inform the finacial aid office so they can re-evaluate your whole package.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”