In at UC Hastings!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CaptainCubicle

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Postby CaptainCubicle » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:22 pm

parisisburning wrote:did hastings contacts admits or waitlist via snailmail?

My waitlist was by email, haven't gotten anything via snailmail from them.

thischarmingman

Postby thischarmingman » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:52 pm

Got my acceptance letter Tuesday. The small package scared me until I saw the return envelope. :)

161 w/ 3.65

URM though I guess UCs aren't supposed to take this into account? I'm sure they do anyways, or my PS kicked butt. I know it still might be a long shot but getting into Hastings when they aren't supposed to weigh URM status is making me feel a little better about my chances at USC. If you disagree don't crush my hopes. Hahaha.

vb007

Postby vb007 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:03 pm

thischarmingman wrote:Got my acceptance letter Tuesday. The small package scared me until I saw the return envelope. :)

161 w/ 3.65

URM though I guess UCs aren't supposed to take this into account? I'm sure they do anyways, or my PS kicked butt. I know it still might be a long shot but getting into Hastings when they aren't supposed to weigh URM status is making me feel a little better about my chances at USC. If you disagree don't crush my hopes. Hahaha.

Every school takes URM status into account. Check the graphs at LSN. It's not coincidence that all the acceptances in the lower left portion are URM. But that being said, USC also considers URM status, so maybe you have a shot there...

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:36 pm

Your numbers are good. I think you would have gotten in without URM status. USC, you probably would be out without the URM.

thischarmingman

Postby thischarmingman » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:57 pm

swheat wrote:Your numbers are good. I think you would have gotten in without URM status. USC, you probably would be out without the URM.

Thanks for the compliment. I think I could have done better on the LSAT but it is what it is. I got accepted to some good schools and I am happy. I'll make the most of my education and I think that is what really matters.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:08 pm

thischarmingman wrote:Got my acceptance letter Tuesday. The small package scared me until I saw the return envelope. :)

161 w/ 3.65

Congrats, Charming! UCs tend to be more holistic than some private schools; a non-URM TLSer got into Berkeley with a 161 and a 4.0!

Still waiting on Hastings....

thischarmingman

Postby thischarmingman » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:15 am

OperaSoprano wrote:

Congrats, Charming! UCs tend to be more holistic than some private schools; a non-URM TLSer got into Berkeley with a 161 and a 4.0!

Still waiting on Hastings....

That's awesome to hear.

Good luck with Hastings. I hope you get in. I'm very happy with my acceptance.

HoldOnToYourButts

Postby HoldOnToYourButts » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:20 pm

161 w/ 3.65

did you apply LEOP?

rosieposie

Postby rosieposie » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:22 pm

wow... hoping there is some love for me today from hastings <3

Lod732

Postby Lod732 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:23 pm

I hate Hastings...my only non-acceptance so far (waitlist) but they it seemed they gave it to me without a second thought, atleast other schools are pretending to consider me.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:47 pm

Hastings is so quiet of late... Any recent LEOP acceptances?

kelvincko

Postby kelvincko » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:44 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Hastings is so quiet of late... Any recent LEOP acceptances?

I got in through LEOP on Feb. 10 (160/3.69). Good luck, I'll cross my fingers for you!

wilshire

Postby wilshire » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:31 am

I was wondering the same. I haven't heard yet, and I'm really nervous. Hastings is my first choice.

Lior

Postby Lior » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:48 am

wilshire wrote:

I was wondering the same. I haven't heard yet, and I'm really nervous. Hastings is my first choice.

Agreed, Hastings is so quiet these days! I've been complete since 12/19. :|

(Although a couple people seem to be getting decisions on LSN daily. Just not me.)

artp

Postby artp » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:11 pm

got accepted through LEOP. Went complete in Nov, acceptance letter dated March 9, arrived March 10. Good luck everyone.

Lior wrote:
wilshire wrote:

(Although a couple people seem to be getting decisions on LSN daily. Just not me.)

deadatheist

Postby deadatheist » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:21 pm

on lsn, there is this big gaping hole amongst my index number/lsat/gpa (3.6+/160) bracket on the Hastings graph. I think they've put everyone with my #s into a "tbd later" file. Seriously.

thischarmingman

Postby thischarmingman » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:28 pm

HoldOnToYourButts wrote:
did you apply LEOP?

Nope.

LACatholic

Postby LACatholic » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:33 am

Does anyone know when Hastings is sending out fin aid/scholly info?

btrflykss12

Postby btrflykss12 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:36 am

LACatholic wrote:Does anyone know when Hastings is sending out fin aid/scholly info?

I thought the acceptance package said about 2 weeks after your financial aid info (FAFSA, Need Access and their supplement) was turned in. It's been about two weeks for me and I haven't heard a peep so not too sure...

LACatholic

Postby LACatholic » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:57 pm

I just called the fin aid office and I was told that as long as you met the priority deadline we should hear back by the end of the month. My packet didn't say anything about 2 weeks (and its certainly been more than two weeks for me anyway). Hope this 411 helps!

btrflykss12 wrote:
LACatholic wrote:Does anyone know when Hastings is sending out fin aid/scholly info?

I thought the acceptance package said about 2 weeks after your financial aid info (FAFSA, Need Access and their supplement) was turned in. It's been about two weeks for me and I haven't heard a peep so not too sure...

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:02 pm

Directly from acceptance letter:

"We will begin to process financial aid applications as soon as they are received; we generally are able to provide financial aid award information two weeks after your application is complete."

Sounds like a general timetable, not firm.

artp

Postby artp » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:13 pm

Does anyone know, for those who got accepted after march 1st deadline and haven't filed their need access application before the deadline (since it was $28 to file it and what's the point if you aren't admitted paying that fee) and filed it after March 1, do we get penalized for it? I talked to financial aid office and they said that if you filed it after March 1st, you’re put on a waiting list. If there's money left over from financial aid awards for those who completed their financial aid packet before March 1st, one will be on that waiting list to receive what's left over. Does this sound right to you guys or is the dude from Financial Aid office doesn’t know what he’s talking about? Seems a bit unfair.

"We will begin to process financial aid applications as soon as they are received; we generally are able to provide financial aid award information two weeks after your application is complete."

Sounds like a general timetable, not firm.[/quote]

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:21 pm

Congrats to the new Hastings admits! I am still waiting on news... I did pay for Need Access, and sent my family's info by March 1, even though I didn't know (and still don't know) my status at the time. Without financial aid, I will be unable to attend any law school, so it seemed like a small price to pay to be sure of getting aid if I attend. I agree that the deadline is arbitrary, though, given that many people are still waiting to hear back. The rest of my schools do not require filing for aid (beyond FAFSA) until an offer of admission is extended, which seems, IMHO, less stressful for 0Ls.

To those applicants who haven't filed yet, it sucks to be on a waiting list, but I wouldn't wait a moment longer to file Need Access and complete the supplement.

btrflykss12

Postby btrflykss12 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:24 pm

[quote="artp"]Does anyone know, for those who got accepted after march 1st deadline and haven't filed their need access application before the deadline (since it was $28 to file it and what's the point if you aren't admitted paying that fee) and filed it after March 1, do we get penalized for it? I talked to financial aid office and they said that if you filed it after March 1st, you’re put on a waiting list. If there's money left over from financial aid awards for those who completed their financial aid packet before March 1st, one will be on that waiting list to receive what's left over. Does this sound right to you guys or is the dude from Financial Aid office doesn’t know what he’s talking about? Seems a bit unfair.

I think this is accurate. Most schools forwarded emails / letters that encouraged people to turn in Financial Aid info by the March 1 deadline, even if you weren't accepted yet. It sucks to fill it out and then not get accepted, but I think they have to set a date to get financial aid info worked out in a reasonable time (though the closer it is to the first deposit deadlines, the less reasonable it seems to me...).

ria29

Postby ria29 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:18 pm

artp wrote:got accepted through LEOP. Went complete in Nov, acceptance letter dated March 9, arrived March 10. Good luck everyone.

Lior wrote:
wilshire wrote:

Sighhhh... anyone else hear anything? Am also waiting on LEOP...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”