In at UC Hastings!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Amplified
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:09 am

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Postby Amplified » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:08 am

Congrats to the new admits! :D

vb007
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:29 am

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Postby vb007 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:52 am

ferg0146 wrote:In today! 162/3.5 non-resident, small envelope via snail mail. I've been hearing bad things about quality of life/cutthroat competition though, can anyone verify this? I'm also in at Wisconsin and it seems like a much better place (relatively) to spend 3 years.


next year will be the first year they apply a new, more relaxed grading policy so hopefully that will ease the competition a bit. i heard it's not THAT bad to begin with though.

utblsat
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:29 am

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Postby utblsat » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:38 am

fyi... i just found out...i know someone that got accepted to hastings with a 154/3.68....NON-URM!!!

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Postby General Tso » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:44 am

utblsat wrote:fyi... i just found out...i know someone that got accepted to hastings with a 154/3.68....NON-URM!!!


LEOP?

User avatar
beckysoc24
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:54 pm

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Postby beckysoc24 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:57 pm

got the letter yesterday. in. yay!

sarcasmsslave
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Postby sarcasmsslave » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:40 pm

Anyone else terrified of the debt here? I'm not expecting any scholarships from Hastings, and the $150K (at least) in loans might just scare me away. (I've gotten great scholarships from L&C and Tulane, and I'm in at CU-Boulder, which is cheaper COL and cheaper tuition.) Am I being too hasty in my dismissal? What do Hastings grads in the, say, top third to top half of the class make?

Lod732
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:18 pm

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Postby Lod732 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:15 am

Just got waitlisted with very competetive numbers....I'm depressed.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Postby General Tso » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:23 am

sarcasmsslave wrote:Anyone else terrified of the debt here? I'm not expecting any scholarships from Hastings, and the $150K (at least) in loans might just scare me away. (I've gotten great scholarships from L&C and Tulane, and I'm in at CU-Boulder, which is cheaper COL and cheaper tuition.) Am I being too hasty in my dismissal? What do Hastings grads in the, say, top third to top half of the class make?


I think top third Hastings has been, in the past few years, pretty much a lock for $125+. But who knows in this economy?

Some sources list average Hastings salary at 115k. My 2007 USNWR lists the 2005 midrange as 70,000--125,000. So that means the top 25% were getting 125+ in 2005.

I can totally understand going with a cheaper option in this economy. I think I have seen Colorado's avg. starting salary at 68k. I think the midrange showed the 75th at around 90k. But alot of CU grads go with govt. and public interest I believe.

L&C is a no go IMO. Too small of a legal market in Portland and low starting salaries. Tulane is not a bad option, but I am skeptical that a Tulane law degree goes as far as they claim it does. And Tulane has been widely accused on this board of posting misleading career stats.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Postby General Tso » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:24 am

Lod732 wrote:Just got waitlisted with very competetive numbers....I'm depressed.


How competitive? If you were 3.8+ and 165+ you probably got YP'd. Hastings has been YPing hardcore this year.

tvaddicted
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:10 am

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Postby tvaddicted » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:31 am

sarcasmsslave wrote:Anyone else terrified of the debt here? I'm not expecting any scholarships from Hastings, and the $150K (at least) in loans might just scare me away. (I've gotten great scholarships from L&C and Tulane, and I'm in at CU-Boulder, which is cheaper COL and cheaper tuition.) Am I being too hasty in my dismissal? What do Hastings grads in the, say, top third to top half of the class make?



Yeah, same here. I would not really be willing to go into that kind of debt unless I got into a top 18 school.

Lod732
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:18 pm

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Postby Lod732 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:57 am

swheat wrote:
Lod732 wrote:Just got waitlisted with very competetive numbers....I'm depressed.


How competitive? If you were 3.8+ and 165+ you probably got YP'd. Hastings has been YPing hardcore this year.


YPed?

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Postby General Tso » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:00 am

Lod732 wrote:
swheat wrote:
Lod732 wrote:Just got waitlisted with very competetive numbers....I'm depressed.


How competitive? If you were 3.8+ and 165+ you probably got YP'd. Hastings has been YPing hardcore this year.


YPed?


Yield Protection. Basically waitlisting and rejecting overly qualified applicants to keep attend rates high. If you look at Hastings' LSAC stats from last year, they actually had about a 40% admit rate for 3.75+/170+ applicants.

I don't understand the rationale. I only know that it happens.

Lod732
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:18 pm

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Postby Lod732 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:25 am

Oh lol, no I'm not overly-qualified, just competetive. 3.7/163, wasn't expecting a waitlist.

eth3n
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:36 pm

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Postby eth3n » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:40 am

waitlist @ 3.14 and 165...i didnt think my softs were that good (not-urm)

since I am kinda low for hastings...does this mean they liked my softs/PS, or do they just have a huge waitlist that I will never get off?

Anyone know about the hastings waitlist? (obviously im not yield protection >_>)

-- edit

Also, they say "no additional action is required at this time to remain on waitlist"

Should I send an early LOCI (or is waiting better?) or even just a brief response that I hope desperately to get in...?

buxfactor
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:18 pm

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Postby buxfactor » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:18 pm

Does Hastings offer merit schollys?

kelvincko
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:02 pm

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Postby kelvincko » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:30 pm

buxfactor wrote:Does Hastings offer merit schollys?


Yep they do. --LinkRemoved--

leron
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:22 pm

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Postby leron » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:33 pm

eth3n wrote:waitlist @ 3.14 and 165...i didnt think my softs were that good (not-urm)

since I am kinda low for hastings...does this mean they liked my softs/PS, or do they just have a huge waitlist that I will never get off?

Anyone know about the hastings waitlist? (obviously im not yield protection >_>)

-- edit

Also, they say "no additional action is required at this time to remain on waitlist"

Should I send an early LOCI (or is waiting better?) or even just a brief response that I hope desperately to get in...?
waitlist @ 3.14 and 165...i didnt think my softs were that good (not-urm)

since I am kinda low for hastings...does this mean they liked my softs/PS, or do they just have a huge waitlist that I will never get off?

Anyone know about the hastings waitlist? (obviously im not yield protection >_>)

-- edit

Also, they say "no additional action is required at this time to remain on waitlist"

Should I send an early LOCI (or is waiting better?) or even just a brief response that I hope desperately to get in...?


while no additional action is required, it is recommended. just send them a LOCI, but don't make it desperate. i think you'll make it in.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Postby General Tso » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:34 pm

leron wrote:
eth3n wrote:waitlist @ 3.14 and 165...i didnt think my softs were that good (not-urm)

since I am kinda low for hastings...does this mean they liked my softs/PS, or do they just have a huge waitlist that I will never get off?

Anyone know about the hastings waitlist? (obviously im not yield protection >_>)

-- edit

Also, they say "no additional action is required at this time to remain on waitlist"

Should I send an early LOCI (or is waiting better?) or even just a brief response that I hope desperately to get in...?
waitlist @ 3.14 and 165...i didnt think my softs were that good (not-urm)

since I am kinda low for hastings...does this mean they liked my softs/PS, or do they just have a huge waitlist that I will never get off?

Anyone know about the hastings waitlist? (obviously im not yield protection >_>)

-- edit

Also, they say "no additional action is required at this time to remain on waitlist"

Should I send an early LOCI (or is waiting better?) or even just a brief response that I hope desperately to get in...?


while no additional action is required, it is recommended. just send them a LOCI, but don't make it desperate. i think you'll make it in.


+1

I would think that with all its YP, a LOCI is almost a must for Hastings. It almost seems thats what they are looking for.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Postby General Tso » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:30 pm

Does anyone know about the rumored grading scale changes at Hastings next year?

leron
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:22 pm

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Postby leron » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:32 pm

i don't think it's a rumor. i think it has already been approved. i could google it for you, but you could google it for yourself.

BioLaw
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:59 pm

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Postby BioLaw » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:34 pm

swheat wrote:Does anyone know about the rumored grading scale changes at Hastings next year?


They're in place now.

uncle mike
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:21 pm

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Postby uncle mike » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:39 pm

Lod732 wrote:Oh lol, no I'm not overly-qualified, just competetive. 3.7/163, wasn't expecting a waitlist.


Wow, I would have thought you'd be a lock. I'll post when I hear.

Good luck.

(164/3.2 OOS non-URM)

thelawdad
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:47 pm

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Postby thelawdad » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:45 pm

my child stat= 3.54/166, admitted "Early Decision" last yr and just received a judicial externship position with a judge. Hastings' strong regional reputation made it easy.

Students deal with competition by not sharing their grades with each other They work very well together.

User avatar
vsthora
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Postby vsthora » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:22 pm

Has anyone else been complete since 1/23 + with no word?
And are all WLs and dings coming by email or snail mail at this point as well?
And could I be a little more obsessive about this?
Sorry for all the questions but any info would be appreciated.

socalgirl818
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:25 pm

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Postby socalgirl818 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:02 pm

Complete since 1/13 and no word. :(




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Blue664, Ferrisjso, Rich Uncle Skeleton, staypuff, vho1791 and 28 guests