In at UC Hastings!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
OperaSoprano

Gold

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Post by OperaSoprano » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:50 pm

+1 to that, and silence, damnable silence.

artp

New

Post by artp » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:28 pm

Yeah, I guess you're right. Hopefully those who filled it out after March 1st will get something... In any case, what's the going rate for donating blood? :)
btrflykss12 wrote:
artp wrote:Does anyone know, for those who got accepted after march 1st deadline and haven't filed their need access application before the deadline (since it was $28 to file it and what's the point if you aren't admitted paying that fee) and filed it after March 1, do we get penalized for it? I talked to financial aid office and they said that if you filed it after March 1st, you’re put on a waiting list. If there's money left over from financial aid awards for those who completed their financial aid packet before March 1st, one will be on that waiting list to receive what's left over. Does this sound right to you guys or is the dude from Financial Aid office doesn’t know what he’s talking about? Seems a bit unfair.

I think this is accurate. Most schools forwarded emails / letters that encouraged people to turn in Financial Aid info by the March 1 deadline, even if you weren't accepted yet. It sucks to fill it out and then not get accepted, but I think they have to set a date to get financial aid info worked out in a reasonable time (though the closer it is to the first deposit deadlines, the less reasonable it seems to me...).

thischarmingman

New

Post by thischarmingman » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:03 pm

artp wrote:Yeah, I guess you're right. Hopefully those who filled it out after March 1st will get something... In any case, what's the going rate for donating blood? :)
btrflykss12 wrote:
artp wrote:Does anyone know, for those who got accepted after march 1st deadline and haven't filed their need access application before the deadline (since it was $28 to file it and what's the point if you aren't admitted paying that fee) and filed it after March 1, do we get penalized for it? I talked to financial aid office and they said that if you filed it after March 1st, you’re put on a waiting list. If there's money left over from financial aid awards for those who completed their financial aid packet before March 1st, one will be on that waiting list to receive what's left over. Does this sound right to you guys or is the dude from Financial Aid office doesn’t know what he’s talking about? Seems a bit unfair.

I think this is accurate. Most schools forwarded emails / letters that encouraged people to turn in Financial Aid info by the March 1 deadline, even if you weren't accepted yet. It sucks to fill it out and then not get accepted, but I think they have to set a date to get financial aid info worked out in a reasonable time (though the closer it is to the first deposit deadlines, the less reasonable it seems to me...).
I had the same concern and the woman I talked to in the Financial Aid Office said that I should submit it ASAP and that I should still get a really good financial aid package. I was confused because schools like USC won't even take the information until you are accepted and Hastings wants it all before. The woman in the office told me it happens a lot and not to stress.

artp

New

Post by artp » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:54 pm

Thanks for the info!!!
thischarmingman wrote:
artp wrote:Yeah, I guess you're right. Hopefully those who filled it out after March 1st will get something... In any case, what's the going rate for donating blood? :)
btrflykss12 wrote:

I had the same concern and the woman I talked to in the Financial Aid Office said that I should submit it ASAP and that I should still get a really good financial aid package. I was confused because schools like USC won't even take the information until you are accepted and Hastings wants it all before. The woman in the office told me it happens a lot and not to stress.

ogreofdakka

New

Post by ogreofdakka » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:24 am

complete 12/18 and no word. 2.74/172
been so quiet i m worried. do i still have a shot?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

uncle mike

New

Post by uncle mike » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:14 am

Hastings doesn't have an online status check, correct?

Thanks.

btrflykss12

New

Post by btrflykss12 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:38 am

uncle mike wrote:Hastings doesn't have an online status check, correct?

Thanks.

Nope. When I called to check on my application (over a month ago), they told me I could be waiting until May 1. Hopefully that's not true for all of you!

ejh09

New

Post by ejh09 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:02 pm

I applied LEOP as well and have been complete since 11/19.

This wait is soooo hard :(

artp

New

Post by artp » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:42 pm

ejh09 wrote:I applied LEOP as well and have been complete since 11/19.

You guys should hear soon. Hastings has events coming up on 3/21 for new students. Leop will hold a reception for their students as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:30 pm

artp wrote:
ejh09 wrote:I applied LEOP as well and have been complete since 11/19.

You guys should hear soon. Hastings has events coming up on 3/21 for new students. Leop will hold a reception for their students as well.
Also complete since the end of November. Also applied LEOP. Also chewing the furniture.

Good luck!

Lior

New

Post by Lior » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:51 pm

btrflykss12 wrote:
uncle mike wrote:Hastings doesn't have an online status check, correct?

Thanks.

Nope. When I called to check on my application (over a month ago), they told me I could be waiting until May 1. Hopefully that's not true for all of you!
:shock: Applicants who haven't heard anything yet might be waiting until May 1?? Like, until after the dates when many of us pay initial seat deposits at other schools?

This is like waiting in line at the DMV.

joobacca

Bronze

Post by joobacca » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:09 am

the california dmv made me an organ donor. never requested it.

ria29

New

Post by ria29 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:49 pm

bump... in case anyone has heard anything... sigh sigh sigh...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

btrflykss12

New

Post by btrflykss12 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:43 pm

Called today and asked about financial aid information. The lady said they are *trying* to get packages out by the beginning of next month - hopefully before many April 15 deadlines.

At this point, I'm just treating Hastings as a non-option. How can they expect us to make decisions without knowing how much money we'll get??

vb007

New

Post by vb007 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:12 am

at the la event, the guy said they send financial aid awards in waves. this means they will send out offers to the most promising candidates first, see who accepts their offers and then redistribute the remaining funds in the next wave. i guess this means the people who are actually targeting hastings will have to wait a while and hope they're unsuccessful in luring those other admittees.

LACatholic

New

Post by LACatholic » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:28 pm

I was there today and was told that they are trying to do everything by the end of the month if not the beginning of next month. The staff was friendly enough but when I mentioned the "two weeks" thing to them they told me that I should just ignore that whole thing.

BTW, for anyone looking to sit in on a class, do NOT do the immigration class. The class was really boring and I was told by a current student that it was the worst class she's ever taken at hastings. I don't know about the other classes but def try a diff class.

LACatholic

New

Post by LACatholic » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:31 pm

oh and before I forget, UCH is NOT in the ghetto ... I was expecting the worst of the worst when I drove by and then quickly realized that whoever said it was a bad neighborhood needs to get out more.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

btrflykss12

New

Post by btrflykss12 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:44 pm

Got an email about getting the Dean's Scholarship today (renewable for 3 years!). I'm assuming this means they sent out my financial aid package so I hope to get it (early) next week!

Good luck to everyone else!

pestorules

New

Post by pestorules » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:54 pm

LACatholic wrote:oh and before I forget, UCH is NOT in the ghetto ... I was expecting the worst of the worst when I drove by and then quickly realized that whoever said it was a bad neighborhood needs to get out more.
Walk around the neighborhood after 10pm and you'll know what people are talking about... :mrgreen:

ihaftagetinsomewhere

New

Post by ihaftagetinsomewhere » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:12 am

pestorules wrote:
LACatholic wrote:oh and before I forget, UCH is NOT in the ghetto ... I was expecting the worst of the worst when I drove by and then quickly realized that whoever said it was a bad neighborhood needs to get out more.
Walk around the neighborhood after 10pm and you'll know what people are talking about... :mrgreen:
+1

Just when it gets dark works too. I used to work around the Civic Center and Hastings. Trust me it is not in a great place.

LACatholic

New

Post by LACatholic » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:53 am

I talked to the Assistant Dean for Admissions and Fin Aid, he said Friday was the first wave of merit-based schollys that Hastings was sending. They anticipate more waves later on. He said that they haven't sent out any fin aid packages and the first wave wont go out until the end of March and then they will go out in waves.
pestorules wrote:
I really don't think its that bad. I'm from DC which has crime that is much worse. Also, the crime in the tenderloin is more property based crime so that doesn't really affect us. Its mostly homeless people there but when you're from the East Coast you learn how to deal.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

artp

New

Post by artp » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:25 pm

Growing up in oc then moving up north to do my undergrad at Cal, I can't imagine UCH area being any worse than downtown Berkeley. I'm sure we'll be fine. Students moving to Bay Area from places like OC will probably experience some culture shock, but will get used to playing chess with the homeless and will find them rather nice even if they try to steal from you once in a while.

LACatholic wrote:I talked to the Assistant Dean for Admissions and Fin Aid, he said Friday was the first wave of merit-based schollys that Hastings was sending. They anticipate more waves later on. He said that they haven't sent out any fin aid packages and the first wave wont go out until the end of March and then they will go out in waves.
pestorules wrote:
I really don't think its that bad. I'm from DC which has crime that is much worse. Also, the crime in the tenderloin is more property based crime so that doesn't really affect us. Its mostly homeless people there but when you're from the East Coast you learn how to deal.

Tebowfan

New

Post by Tebowfan » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:30 pm

sooo it looks like a whole bunch of people were waitlisted at Hastings today, including me (3.6/172). Any idea about the odds of actually getting off it?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:44 pm

If you were a true yield protect (likely, with such numbers) I should think a brief, honest LOCI would do the trick in a trice.

Still waiting and hoping!

misteranthro

New

Post by misteranthro » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:46 pm

Last night I got the call and I was admitted to the LEOP Program! It was wierd though, because the guy who called assumed I knew already. I still haven't gotten my package though, so I don't know if I got any $$.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”