In at UC Hastings!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thischarmingman

New

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Post by thischarmingman » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:00 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
Me too, atheist. I think at this point I prefer outright rejections.
Awww, don't say that. With a LOCI you have a decent chance of getting off a waitlist. With a rejection your SOL.

misteranthro

New

Post by misteranthro » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:06 pm

Just wanted to let you all know I am withdrawing today, so one of the waitlist spots in LEOP should be opening up VERY soon!

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:06 pm

i have the lsn quick scan for the # of waitlists at 70+, but then there's ppl like me who are not (yet) on lsn. I wonder how many they do wl? (how many of us are there? 20 on tls?)

i know this sounds bad, but I can't wait to see WHAT our chances will be before and after this first deadline. Wouldn't it be AMAZING to hear good new in May? Ahhhh...

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:08 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
thischarmingman wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
Me too, atheist. I think at this point I prefer outright rejections.
Awww, don't say that. With a LOCI you have a decent chance of getting off a waitlist. With a rejection your SOL.
I appreciate the sentiment, and wish I could share it. Still, I will be flying to San Francisco after the first of May to try my luck in person. I don't hold out much hope of a reprieve, but I'll get to see my parents, and be sad in good company.
word.

misteranthro

New

Post by misteranthro » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:11 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
misteranthro wrote:Just wanted to let you all know I am withdrawing today, so one of the waitlist spots in LEOP should be opening up VERY soon!
Where will you be going, misteranthro?
UCLA! I got the call today!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Katy Louise

New

Post by Katy Louise » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:14 pm

I just called the Admissions office to check on the status of my application... its been 11 weeks and I am getting impatient. Here's how the conversation went after the admissions guy told me that a decision has not yet been made:

Him: Sooo.... how did all your other applications go?
Me: Um. Ok. Some good, some bad.
Him: What were the good ones?
Me: Oh, (noncommittal mumble)
Him: I won't hold it against you

( a few more attempts to not discuss this)

Me: I got some scholarships from a few TT schools around the country
Him: Which ones? Come on, I won't tell!
Me: Northeastern, Seattle, Chicago-Kent, few others
Him: Well.... That is nice you have some good offers. You should be really happy about that. Even if you get a rejection from us, you should still be pretty happy with your options.
Me: Right, well, (start speech about how much I would value a Hastings acceptance)
Him: You know, this is a very competitive year. There are a lot of people applying that would not normally except for this recession. Maybe you should be really happy about your offers.

(more about how their numbers are way up and how I should be proud of getting into any law school)

(This goes on for an additional 5 minutes)

Him: Well, just make sure to choose the best school. There is a source called U.S News Rankings. You should look at that. And weigh your options. Good Luck!!

Wow, was that a "Thanks, but no thanks" or what? I wonder what my file says when he opened it up? Something like "Not a chance in hell"?

Gonna go find a tall building.

DCDuck

Bronze

Post by DCDuck » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:21 pm

Thanks for posting that, Katy. We have similar numbers, so I'm sure if I called, I would have the same conversation, except I don't have the other great opportunities you have. Good luck!

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:21 pm

^most random. sounds like a workstudy, I wouldn't think too much of it at all.

Don't trip too much over 11 weeks, some of us were approaching the mid-twenties (some still are, and counting) before we heard. Waiting is lame... Hang tight!

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:25 pm

towards the end of all this, i'd love to do a detailed breakdown of people's cycles here, seeing who sent an loci and when, who visited, who hated the asds, :) who sent updated materials, etc. I just can't figure out hastings or how to get through!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:33 pm

wait... did he actually look at your file while having this conversation? geez.

Good luck kl!

misteranthro

New

Post by misteranthro » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:35 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
misteranthro wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
misteranthro wrote:Just wanted to let you all know I am withdrawing today, so one of the waitlist spots in LEOP should be opening up VERY soon!
Where will you be going, misteranthro?
UCLA! I got the call today!
Congrats! May your joy sprinkle down like fairy dust, upon those of us who wait.
Thank you very much and consider yourself sprinkled! I am really hoping you get the spot. No offense to anybody else.

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:46 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
deadatheist wrote:i have the lsn quick scan for the # of waitlists at 70+, but then there's ppl like me who are not (yet) on lsn. I wonder how many they do wl? (how many of us are there? 20 on tls?)

i know this sounds bad, but I can't wait to see WHAT our chances will be before and after this first deadline. Wouldn't it be AMAZING to hear good new in May? Ahhhh...

Why waitlist so many, Hastings? It's downright cruel, and I'll say nothing of your timing. You had to send a batch of WLs out on the eve of Passover? Why did you do that? Why?

I suppose I could be persuaded to forgive you, though. I am a very forgiving person. Please admit all the good people of this thread, who yearn to be gathered into your loving arms, and will not even bitch about your location in the Tenderloin.
haha ...cheers to this! i'll co-sign your open letter reiterating my willingness to sleep on the lawn outside with the crusties.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:05 pm

This is getting out of hand...there's no law school worth getting stuck like a pig over.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:11 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
swheat wrote:This is getting out of hand...there's no law school worth getting stuck like a pig over.
You're right, swheat. All in good fun. Are you still going?
Haha why?

I have to admit I did advise someone not to attend UCI hoping I would get their spot :oops:

Yeah I figure I'll go. I might need to camp out with the crusties along with you guys to afford it though. Let's start a TL campout interest thread ala SBL.

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:13 pm

swheat wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
swheat wrote:This is getting out of hand...there's no law school worth getting stuck like a pig over.
You're right, swheat. All in good fun. Are you still going?
Haha why?

I have to admit I did advise someone not to attend UCI hoping I would get their spot :oops:

Yeah I figure I'll go. I might need to camp out with the crusties along with you guys to afford it though. Let's start a TL campout interest thread ala SBL.
YES. i know the perfect spot right across from the tower, and we can bathe in this nearby fountain, or frequent the nearby burger king. it's right near the live chicken vendor at the farmer's market. awesome spot. good neighbors.

p.s. live music too at the civic center: violin man and sombrero guy's ballads coming soon!

trojanfan06

New

Post by trojanfan06 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:21 pm

Any more updates on the financial aid stuff?

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:27 pm

bk = only for restroom (ewww), not nourishment.
there are a ton of good restaurants in the area for vegetarians.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ria29

New

Post by ria29 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:35 pm

Katy Louise wrote:I just called the Admissions office to check on the status of my application... its been 11 weeks and I am getting impatient. Here's how the conversation went after the admissions guy told me that a decision has not yet been made:

Him: Well.... That is nice you have some good offers. You should be really happy about that. Even if you get a rejection from us, you should still be pretty happy with your options.
Me: Right, well, (start speech about how much I would value a Hastings acceptance)
Him: You know, this is a very competitive year. There are a lot of people applying that would not normally except for this recession. Maybe you should be really happy about your offers.

(more about how their numbers are way up and how I should be proud of getting into any law school)

Him: Well, just make sure to choose the best school. There is a source called U.S News Rankings. You should look at that. And weigh your options. Good Luck!!

Wow, was that a "Thanks, but no thanks" or what? I wonder what my file says when he opened it up? Something like "Not a chance in hell"?

deadatheist wrote:wait... did he actually look at your file while having this conversation? geez.

Good luck kl!
+1.

And wow I hope you got his name... I'm hoping he was just a general admissions office clerk or something. That was so inappropriate of him! and just downright NOT cool.

baycat80

New

Post by baycat80 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:45 pm

trojanfan06 wrote:Any more updates on the financial aid stuff?

i actually called the fin aid office today. the guy told me there was no such hard deadline for accepting $, although he advised me to get it done asap so they could process the loan applications. i told him i wasn't going to accept any award offers until i send in my seat deposit, which won't happen until i'm 100% on attending. he said waiting a couple weeks should be fine.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:13 pm

Katy Louise wrote:I just called the Admissions office to check on the status of my application... its been 11 weeks and I am getting impatient. Here's how the conversation went after the admissions guy told me that a decision has not yet been made:

I think you shouldn't have been so honest. I would have said "I am very unhappy with my cycle...I have only wanted Hastings all along." For whatever reason the UCH adcoms are CRAZY about finding people 100% committed to UCH. Hence the heavy YP.

Likewise, I shouldn't have been so honest in reporting my savings account balance. I should have transferred it all to my parents, and ran up 10k in credit card debt. Then I would have gotten one of the Hastings grants that "75% of Hastings students receive"

ajrm116

New

Post by ajrm116 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:45 pm

swheat wrote: I think you shouldn't have been so honest. I would have said "I am very unhappy with my cycle...I have only wanted Hastings all along." For whatever reason the UCH adcoms are CRAZY about finding people 100% committed to UCH. Hence the heavy YP.

Likewise, I shouldn't have been so honest in reporting my savings account balance. I should have transferred it all to my parents, and ran up 10k in credit card debt. Then I would have gotten one of the Hastings grants that "75% of Hastings students receive"
Your implications that Hastings grants only go to the financially irresponsible are getting kind of annoying. Just throwing that out there.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:50 pm

ajrm116 wrote:
swheat wrote: I think you shouldn't have been so honest. I would have said "I am very unhappy with my cycle...I have only wanted Hastings all along." For whatever reason the UCH adcoms are CRAZY about finding people 100% committed to UCH. Hence the heavy YP.

Your implications that Hastings grants only go to the financially irresponsible are getting kind of annoying. Just throwing that out there.
I didn't imply anything about anyone else being financially irresponsible. I only said that I should have acted differently.

ajrm116

New

Post by ajrm116 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:17 pm

sflawguy wrote:
Do the financial aid office or FAFSA verify what applicants report? Do most people lie and say they have no savings?

I suppose I would be penalized with no financial aid because I've worked everyday since undergrad and stashed half my paycheck for law school, while someone with no savings, who sat their lazy ass on dad's couch, traveled the world, etc., get's all the money?

Sounds fair.........
I guess I was thinking more of this guy, my bad.

Katy Louise

New

Post by Katy Louise » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:05 pm

swheat wrote:

I think you shouldn't have been so honest. I would have said "I am very unhappy with my cycle...I have only wanted Hastings all along." For whatever reason the UCH adcoms are CRAZY about finding people 100% committed to UCH. Hence the heavy YP.

Yea, I did say something to the effect of: "Hastings is my number 1 choice, but due to the economy, I felt it was neccessary to apply to a few safety schools as well." This was one of my numerous attempts to not disclose this. ugh.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:10 pm

Sucks that they put you on the spot like that KL...all my interactions with the Hastings staff have been very short. I'm pretty surprised they grilled you this way.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”