In at UC Irvine

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lawbug

Re: In at UC Irvine

Postby lawbug » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:47 pm

Got a rejection letter today. The letter also indicated that they cannot give you are reason for their decision. Haha I'm not surprised. It's because they didn't even look at my application!

cantstop

Postby cantstop » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:55 pm

lawbug wrote:Got a rejection letter today. The letter also indicated that they cannot give you are reason for their decision. Haha I'm not surprised. It's because they didn't even look at my application!

Just to try to follow the geographic journey of the letters, where are you lawbug?

PublicLaw

Postby PublicLaw » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:04 pm

I live in So. Cal, nothing in the mail yesterday, or today. WTF? :?

ChipJan

Postby ChipJan » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:07 pm

Last edited by ChipJan on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawbug

Postby lawbug » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm

cantstop wrote:
lawbug wrote:Got a rejection letter today. The letter also indicated that they cannot give you are reason for their decision. Haha I'm not surprised. It's because they didn't even look at my application!

Just to try to follow the geographic journey of the letters, where are you lawbug?

I live in Nor Cal. I'm also a URM

alleycat13

Postby alleycat13 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:26 pm

ChipJan wrote:
PublicLaw wrote:I live in So. Cal, nothing in the mail yesterday, or today. WTF? :?

With your stats and URM status, your decision may be pending the April 15th deadline for currently accepted students. I think thats good news since everyone has gotten rejection letters this week.

I also live in S. California and have no letter, so it may just be wishful thinking.

So it is not just wishful thinking that (southern in my case) Californians with no rejection letters in the mail as of yet may mean something somewhat positive?

cantstop

Postby cantstop » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:29 pm

alleycat13 wrote:
ChipJan wrote:
PublicLaw wrote:I live in So. Cal, nothing in the mail yesterday, or today. WTF? :?

With your stats and URM status, your decision may be pending the April 15th deadline for currently accepted students. I think thats good news since everyone has gotten rejection letters this week.

I also live in S. California and have no letter, so it may just be wishful thinking.

So it is not just wishful thinking that (southern in my case) Californians with no rejection letters in the mail as of yet may mean something somewhat positive?

I personally think that it might have a bit to do with that. More of me wonders if there's any correlation between the date of application submission and whether or not those not accepted/waitlisted yet have received their rejections.

PublicLaw

Postby PublicLaw » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:31 pm

ChipJan wrote:

Here's to hoping, just wondering though, why didn't we make the waitlist?

alleycat13

Postby alleycat13 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:37 pm

Okay, I'm in San Diego. Mail just arrived. No letter either way. Thoughts?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:47 pm

alleycat13 wrote:Okay, I'm in San Diego. Mail just arrived. No letter either way. Thoughts?

still in consideration/wait until after the seat deadline.

alleycat13

Postby alleycat13 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:55 pm

Here's to hoping, just wondering though, why didn't we make the waitlist?[/quote]

I don't know. Maybe they have a pile of people they wish had applied earlier and they are holding onto to defer??

I don't know if they know what to do with me. I'm already in law school. I found out about the school rather late, and submitted my app rather late as a result. A big decision since there is not a transfer option, but only starting over as a first year (1L). (I'm already half way done).

The benefits of starting over at UCI outweighed the downsides of any previous time/money/effort investments to such a great degree, I just had to give it a shot.

I have not heard of any other applicants that are already in law school applying to start over again. Have you?

I don't know if they even have a formula to take into consideration previous law school grades, improvements, extra-cirriculars, etc.

I've been charting accepts/denials/WLs from LSN & In @ UCI, and I simply CANNOT peg a formula at all. Numbers are a factor, of course, but if we go strictly on numbers, it's just not it.

sigh.

naivekid1986

Postby naivekid1986 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:31 pm

HAH, i was looking at the numbers of those who were rejected on LSN. for one hopeful & assholish moment, i was like HAH :mrgreen: they all have lower LSATS/GPA numbers than me. and then i realized many of those who were accepted do too. and then i punched myself in the nose for being an idiot and applying so late.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:39 pm

naivekid1986 wrote:HAH, i was looking at the numbers of those who were rejected on LSN. for one hopeful & assholish moment, i was like HAH :mrgreen: they all have lower LSATS/GPA numbers than me. and then i realized many of those who were accepted do too. and then i punched myself in the nose for being an idiot and applying so late.

:? what a pleasant attitude.

csc2law

Postby csc2law » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:40 pm

alleycat13 wrote:I don't know. Maybe they have a pile of people they wish had applied earlier and they are holding onto to defer??

I applied in October and haven't heard a peep. My guess is they're just trying to do their best with a huge pile of applications, staying cautious with their reject/waitlist decisions. Maybe they will continue to send stages of rejection letters as time passes and their roster solidifies, and possibly (though somewhat unlikely) more waitlist letters later on.

naivekid1986

Postby naivekid1986 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:42 pm

veritas85 wrote:
naivekid1986 wrote:HAH, i was looking at the numbers of those who were rejected on LSN. for one hopeful & assholish moment, i was like HAH :mrgreen: they all have lower LSATS/GPA numbers than me. and then i realized many of those who were accepted do too. and then i punched myself in the nose for being an idiot and applying so late.

:? what a pleasant attitude.

sigh. sorry, sorry. i know i should punch myself in the nose for being so unpleasant. :(

ChipJan

Postby ChipJan » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:14 pm

Last edited by ChipJan on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alleycat13

Postby alleycat13 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:20 pm

ChipJan wrote:Has anyone called the school about their status? (esp. California applicants who did not receive anything yet)

No, I haven't. I don't want to bother them. I'm sure I will hear one way or the other (or the other) soon enough....

gyita

Postby gyita » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:31 pm

While I really want to hold out hope (I won't know until Saturday whether or not there is a letter waiting for me, as I am not at home), I have a feeling that UCI is unlikely to mail out nearly 2600 rejection letters in a single day. It might take them a few days to just print and get everything in the mail...

ChipJan

Postby ChipJan » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:59 pm

Last edited by ChipJan on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alleycat13

Postby alleycat13 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:46 pm

gyita wrote:While I really want to hold out hope (I won't know until Saturday whether or not there is a letter waiting for me, as I am not at home), I have a feeling that UCI is unlikely to mail out nearly 2600 rejection letters in a single day. It might take them a few days to just print and get everything in the mail...

LOL. Excellent point. I used to do administrative asst. work and 2600 letters is quite alot. It is quite reasonable to assume that they went out in increments. I got a little over-excited today, and have resorted, once again to the numbers. Which tell me to check the mailbox again tomorrow. :oops:

Oh well. I am, in general, one of those nauseating, eternal optimists. Until 'the fat lady sings' as it were...and even when she does, I'll still be trying to figure out how to get in there....lol. I'll move on to transfer options when and if the time comes and if necessary...

Good luck to the still hopeful, so sorry to the no longer hopeful (if you still want to go - look to next year!) and of course, I'll keep y'all posted...

csc2law

Postby csc2law » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:33 pm

We live in Northern CA. Rejection letter today for one; still nothing for the other.

ChipJan

Postby ChipJan » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:56 pm

csc2law wrote:We live in Northern CA. Rejection letter today for one; still nothing for the other.

If you don't mind me asking, what are each of your LSAT/GPA's? I want to check my reasoning on the batches.

csc2law

Postby csc2law » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:07 am

Both Computer Science majors
159 / 3.17 (3.22) rejection
165 / 3.09 (3.40) (3.80 MS degree) still pending

I am hoping for the best. I am willing to forgo law school for my husband to have the opportunity to attend UCI . =D

gyita

Postby gyita » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:44 pm

alleycat13 wrote:Oh well. I am, in general, one of those nauseating, eternal optimists. Until 'the fat lady sings' as it were...and even when she does, I'll still be trying to figure out how to get in there....lol. I'll move on to transfer options when and if the time comes and if necessary...

You are not alone. As much as I am trying to tell myself to stop hoping, I'm still here and on LSN every day, hoping for a miracle. Only the actual letter will let me move on.

nocalls4jeff

Postby nocalls4jeff » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:28 pm

I'm in NJ and got the rejection letter this morning

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”