In at UC Irvine

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ak2ca

Re: In at UC Irvine

Postby ak2ca » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:45 am

LawApp2012 wrote:
jacktripper wrote:
LawApp2012 wrote:but UCI has proven them wrong this year and I think they will continue to prove them wrong.

This was mainly due to the free tuition. Do you think people will be as torn between UCI and Hastings/Davis in the next few years without the free tution? I really doubt it. In my opinion the amount of interest in UCI will drop off greatly without the free tuition and the lack of reputation that comes with being in a market for 40 or 100 years. I'm not saying they don't have a lot of things going for them. They definitely have a strong faculty, but a majority of the interest came out of the free tuition.
For me it wasn't about the free tuition, but you're right that many other people may have chosen another school without it. I'm not sure how many people they want to admit for the second year class, but I think they will be able to find at least 60 people just like me. That's my prediction, but only time will tell.

I've got to agree that for me the free tuition was an added bonus, but it wasn't the deciding factor. Like I mentioned earlier, I was sold on UCI because of the opportunities that come along with launching a new program (particularly a UC) in an unsaturated market -- coupled with the amazing faculty, small student body, etc. I was told by Dean Ortiz that they will likely keep the second year class small (60-80) and then grow it slowly until they reach about 200 students per class. I also got the impression that they would be offering some type of scholarship monies to future classes, although the amount wasn't specified. But, like I said, I don't think that is necessarily the deciding factor for most of the students I've spoken with. It helped, but I didn't speak to one person who said that they were coming to UCI for the scholarship. Most students received sizable scholarships to other programs with more established reputations. With regards to transfers, I think their admissions process really focused on students who would stay for the long-haul. While you can't always plan for those people who choose to leave the field entirely, I think they aimed for students who had ties to the area, were drawn to the idea of building a new institution, and who had some degree of work experience (and thus had a basis for their interest in the law).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that UCI seems to be looking for people who are not discouraged by the thought of being part of a new program, and are instead inspired by the opportunities it provides.

ak2ca

Postby ak2ca » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:48 am

Also, I toured Hastings, and it didn't knock my socks off. But, that's just me! The decision wouldn't be a difficult one if I were only choosing between UCI and UC Hastings.

Feathers

Postby Feathers » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:21 pm

alleycat13 wrote:Does anyone know how UCI plans on dealing with or if they even plan on applying the usual (dreaded) 1st year curve? What will the grading system look like? (A,B,C, etc., or High Pass, Pass, etc.,)

Also, does anyone know if they will be admitting an additional amount of first year students in order to account for the usual 1st year drop off? By "drop off" I mean, those that 1) decide law school/the legal profession is not for them; 2) (may) transfer out after first year; and/or 3) are faced with unforeseen personal circumstances that prevent continuing in the program., etc......

How about transferring in to the second year class next year? Possibility? Scholarships offered then? Sorry about all the questions......Just considering all the possibilities to reflect the increasing remoteness of acceptance into the Fall 2009 entering class.

UCI will use what sounds like a fairly standard curve (I don't remember the exact numbers). The class will NOT be ranked, but there will be some honors designations.

LawApp2012

Postby LawApp2012 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:33 pm

Feathers wrote:
alleycat13 wrote:Does anyone know how UCI plans on dealing with or if they even plan on applying the usual (dreaded) 1st year curve? What will the grading system look like? (A,B,C, etc., or High Pass, Pass, etc.,)

Also, does anyone know if they will be admitting an additional amount of first year students in order to account for the usual 1st year drop off? By "drop off" I mean, those that 1) decide law school/the legal profession is not for them; 2) (may) transfer out after first year; and/or 3) are faced with unforeseen personal circumstances that prevent continuing in the program., etc......

How about transferring in to the second year class next year? Possibility? Scholarships offered then? Sorry about all the questions......Just considering all the possibilities to reflect the increasing remoteness of acceptance into the Fall 2009 entering class.

UCI will use what sounds like a fairly standard curve (I don't remember the exact numbers). The class will NOT be ranked, but there will be some honors designations.
They mentioned that they're still finalizing plans for grading and it will be published in the next week or so, but sounds like they will have a "recommended" curve, not required. They expect us all to succeed and I think they will support us to make sure that happens.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:35 pm

anyone recieve any letters today?

Feathers

Postby Feathers » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:50 pm

LawApp2012 wrote:
Feathers wrote:

They mentioned that they're still finalizing plans for grading and it will be published in the next week or so, but sounds like they will have a "recommended" curve, not required. They expect us all to succeed and I think they will support us to make sure that happens.

Thanks for the correction... It's important to point out that it was described as a "recommended" curve.

alleycat13

Postby alleycat13 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:07 pm

Feathers wrote:
LawApp2012 wrote:
Feathers wrote:

Thanks for the correction... It's important to point out that it is a "recommended" curve.

That is so incredible. I hope you understand how incredible - what a GIFT that is. It is soul-crushing to read your final exam, which looks almost identical to your neighbor's exam and have your exam graded as a "B" and hers graded as a "A" with absolutely no identifiable difference whatsoever - leaving "eeny meeny miney moe" as the only obvious choosing mechanism between your B and her A, lol.

It sounds like UCI will be applying a merit standard - meaning - you earn it, you get it. I presume that they will only be applying a curve where there is a strongly identifiable drop off in performance...and an identifiable 'group' that falls under it.

Forced curves - like the one at the school that I currently attend - are horrid.

"Recommended Curve" = Yet another reason to lament not having been admitted. (Yet. Yes, still holding on to straws of hope, lol)

Any news on possible legal clinics or joint degree programs as of yet?

ChipJan

Postby ChipJan » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:16 pm

veritas85 wrote:anyone recieve any letters today?

I live about 45 minutes from Irvine and did not get any mail from UCI today.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:22 pm

ChipJan wrote:
veritas85 wrote:anyone recieve any letters today?

I live about 45 minutes from Irvine and did not get any mail from UCI today.

:? I'm in SD, I prob. won't have anything. Oh well!

ak2ca

Postby ak2ca » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:33 pm

Any news on possible legal clinics or joint degree programs as of yet?[/quote]

They're still working out the logistics for the legal clinics with the OC legal communtiy, but they are pretty certain that there will be a public interest clinic (likely focused on immigration given the geography), an international law clinic of some type, and probably something focused on the business community. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, we will be doing pro-bono work our first year as part of the legal practice course, and the intensive clinic experience will take place during 2L and/or 3L.

scantronix

Postby scantronix » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:51 pm

U of Arizona just gave me a big scholarship. I'm going to go there instead.

alleycat13

Postby alleycat13 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:52 pm

scantronix wrote:U of Arizona just gave me a big scholarship. I'm going to go there instead.

Are you joking? By the way, have you been to Tucson?

scantronix

Postby scantronix » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:57 pm

I'm joking and yes I was there recently visiting a friend. OC wins by a narrow margin.

alleycat13

Postby alleycat13 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:04 pm

LOL...okay... *phew*....not that I don't love Tucson - I am a wildcat (undergrad) and I absolutely LOVE it there....but really, UCI is such a phenomenal opportunity that I might have thought you completely off your rocker to pass it up over James E. Rogers (U of A), as well respected as it is.....

Not to mention the fact that you seem like my kind of people (intelligent, introspective, quirky, etc.,) and on what appears to be the very very off chance I attend UCI, but the higher chance I'll be interacting with some of you in an ABA 9th Circuit "leadership capacity" sort of way, I'd hate for you not to be there at this point. :-)

Cheers,

Alleycat13

aquarium_drinker

Postby aquarium_drinker » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:15 pm

Just spoke to the Admin Office.

All decisions have been made, and the letters are on the way.

:|

ChipJan

Postby ChipJan » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:25 pm

Last edited by ChipJan on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:32 pm

aquarium_drinker wrote:Just spoke to the Admin Office.

All decisions have been made, and the letters are on the way.

:|

:shock: impending doom.

Postby 20160810 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:40 pm

Very little can be told from what's on LSN so far but it looks like anyone with 167+ is probably golden, and anyone with 3.5+, 165+ is probably golden. That said, those are some really high numbers for a brand new LS and only the early acceptances of LSN posters (whose numbers as a bunch tend to skew a bit high) are up, so you can't really tell. The only thing that would frighten me if I was waiting on UCI would be the 3.7/163 (URM) that got WLed.

ChipJan

Postby ChipJan » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:48 pm

Last edited by ChipJan on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aquarium_drinker

Postby aquarium_drinker » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:54 pm

It seems like they've already given 70+ offers. How many more offers can they extend for an incoming class of 60?

Despite decent numbers, I'm not holding my breath.

ChipJan

Postby ChipJan » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:59 pm

Last edited by ChipJan on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aquarium_drinker

Postby aquarium_drinker » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:14 pm

ChipJan wrote:
aquarium_drinker wrote:It seems like they've already given 70+ offers. How many more offers can they extend for an incoming class of 60?

Despite decent numbers, I'm not holding my breath.

LawApp said this about admitted students day, "They admitted 109 total students, 38 have now committed, so about 22 spots to go. Only about 10 people have declined offers so far. Most of the people I talked to that hadn't committed yet seemed to be leaning toward UCI..."

So if I understand, there are about 61 "active" acceptances floating around out there? Do these 61 people have a deadline to accept or turn down their offers anytime soon? Does UCI require a cash deposit? (I know these questions have been hashed out before. Sorry).

This doesn't bode well. If UCI is still waiting to hear back from 61 students and only has 22 remaining slots, I doubt they're going to send out many more offers of admission, if any.

naivekid1986

Postby naivekid1986 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:16 pm

hey! is there any possibility those who "accepted" admission offers will turn around and go else where since there's no required deposit $$?

kp1981

Postby kp1981 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:20 pm

The deadline to accept or decline the offer is April 15th. No money is required, just a statement of intent to register.

naivekid1986

Postby naivekid1986 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:21 pm

yeah, i know, so is there any possibility people will say they're going... when really, they're not even sure yet? (they're waiting to get in on some waitlist, haven't heard from some schools yet... etc etc)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”