In at UC Irvine Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LawApp2012

New

Re: In at UC Irvine

Post by LawApp2012 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:38 pm

mstufts09 wrote:Agree! What are some of the requirements for ABA approval?
There is a reallly long document that explains it on the ABA website, but I don't think we have to worry about that. Chemerinsky and the faculty will be responsible for getting accreditation and I don't think they have any concerns. I'm thinking our role will be less related to accreditation and more related to working hard, founding the school's Law Review, Moot Court, etc. . . and help to build the school's reputation and alumni network over time.

PublicLaw

New

UCI FAFSA Letter?

Post by PublicLaw » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:56 pm

I just got a letter from UCI saying that my SS# and/or DOB doesn't match their records. My data looks correct though and I can't get through to the Financial Aid office. Did this happen to anyone else? Insights?

General Tso

Gold

Re: UCI FAFSA Letter?

Post by General Tso » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:57 pm

PublicLaw wrote:I just got a letter from UCI saying that my SS# and/or DOB doesn't match their records. My data looks correct though and I can't get through to the Financial Aid office. Did this happen to anyone else? Insights?
Yes. It happened to me and several others on this thread. 2 other people said that they called UCI and the letter was a mistake. So I didnt even bother calling.

PublicLaw

New

Re: UCI FAFSA Letter?

Post by PublicLaw » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:01 pm

swheat wrote:
PublicLaw wrote:I just got a letter from UCI saying that my SS# and/or DOB doesn't match their records. My data looks correct though and I can't get through to the Financial Aid office. Did this happen to anyone else? Insights?
Yes. It happened to me and several others on this thread. 2 other people said that they called UCI and the letter was a mistake. So I didnt even bother calling.
Okay, I left a message. That's weird that they haven't fixed that bug yet. Thanks, that's good to know.

scantronix

New

Post by scantronix » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:44 pm

Okay so I've been browsing Craigslist for apartments. A two-bedroom really seems the way to go since 1 brs are like $1300 and 2 br are like $1400. Where is my roommate? Must love cats.

and yes, I am going to luncheon Sunday :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mstufts09

New

Post by mstufts09 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:32 pm

It think it may be cheaper to live in the on campus graduate apartments. Is there a reason why you prefer off campus at a higher rate?

scantronix

New

Post by scantronix » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:49 pm

Yes, I throw sex parties.

scantronix

New

Post by scantronix » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:53 pm

Well not really but maybe my idea of student housing is inaccurate. I've always been very independent, worked to support myself and have my own place all through college, never lived in a dorm, etc., and now I'm even older. I really don't like the idea of any type of compromised privacy or supervision although I guess I have no reason to assume there would be that. Also, I have two cats. I wonder if they will allow them? If Maggie and Snickers can go, then so will I.

Edit: My goodness, the student housing does look affordable. Thank you for the suggestion.

mstufts09

New

Post by mstufts09 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:09 pm

Your welcome. THe housing seems great for graduate students, and because they are apartment style privacy may not be much of an issue. I would ask about the specifics on animals though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mstufts09

New

Post by mstufts09 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:10 pm

scantronix wrote:Yes, I throw sex parties.
lol. As long as your quiet.

scantronix

New

Post by scantronix » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:15 pm

It seems that in some of the communities, I can have them. Woohoo no cat left behind!

mstufts09

New

Post by mstufts09 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:27 pm

That great! I am glad the kitties can come. Do you have to move from afar to go to UC Irvine?

scantronix

New

Post by scantronix » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:37 pm

Nope, just about an hour, from Los Angeles. I am from OC originally so it's no big deal. But I went to college on the East Coast. What part are you in?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mstufts09

New

Post by mstufts09 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:44 pm

scantronix wrote:Nope, just about an hour, from Los Angeles. I am from OC originally so it's no big deal. But I went to college on the East Coast. What part are you in?
Well, I am originally from Los Angeles as well. I am finishing undergrad on the East coast, so it will be a big move coming back to Cali in August. I understand your initial hesitance about on campus housing bc I kind of felt the same way too. I can definitely empathize with being independent and then having to follow juvenile dorm rules.

scantronix

New

Post by scantronix » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:25 pm

I went to the UC Irvine luncheon today in Newport Beach. I heard 31 admits had submitted their intent to register.

Edit: someone just told me that I'm wrong about the number and it is actually lower (21), sorry about that. person also mentioned that this might be confidential information? I'm not sure why they would confirm this but not other questions that were asked. Hope I didn't say something I'm not supposed to!
Last edited by scantronix on Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

NoamChomsky

New

Post by NoamChomsky » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:27 pm

scantronix wrote:I went to the UC Irvine luncheon today in Newport Beach. Dean Ortiz said 31 admits had submitted their intention to register.
Wow.. that reduces the chances for the rest of us by 50%... What percentage of the initial admits is that?

Oh and where did they take you for lunch?

scantronix

New

Post by scantronix » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:17 am

I don't know how many people they admitted. I want to say 80 something but I don't know why I want to say that. I think someone asked Dean Ortiz that question and she said she couldn't disclose. We went to the Bison Bay Cafe in Newport, where we ate dim sum off of naked coeds. I guess it was their idea to make the school seem young and edgy but frankly a lot of the admits were uncomfortable. Not me though. Everything else was great. Very excited about the program. Nice to meet all of you today.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jibstir13

New

Post by jibstir13 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:05 pm

Wow...31 admits have submitted their intent to register!..

Looks like half the spots are already taken...

Did Dean Ortiz say whether they are waiting till the first seat deposit deadline before admitting more students?

How many students showed up this past weekend?..What was the age demographic like?

I feel like I'm in the dark, waiting to be called, so any info is appreciated, thanks!

PublicLaw

New

Post by PublicLaw » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:37 pm

NoamChomsky wrote:
scantronix wrote:I went to the UC Irvine luncheon today in Newport Beach. Dean Ortiz said 31 admits had submitted their intention to register.
Wow.. that reduces the chances for the rest of us by 50%... What percentage of the initial admits is that?

Oh and where did they take you for lunch?
If you think about it that's not bad news for those of us who applied late. Essentially it means they'll want to admit about 80 more to fill the class. So all hope is not lost :) BTW, I didn't figure that out for myself, my friend whose in the middle of the application process elsewhere reassured me. I'm having a hard time seeing the forest for the trees.

NoamChomsky

New

Post by NoamChomsky » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:58 pm

scantronix wrote: We went to the Bison Bay Cafe in Newport, where we ate dim sum off of naked coeds. I guess it was their idea to make the school seem young and edgy but frankly a lot of the admits were uncomfortable. Not me though. Everything else was great. Very excited about the program. Nice to meet all of you today.
Har Har...

Sheesh I was just curious!!

pany1985

Bronze

Post by pany1985 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:00 pm

Naked coeds are probably one of the more effective methods of luring grad students... especially in California.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

scantronix

New

Post by scantronix » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:09 pm

I'm serious! The naked coeds may have actually been fully clothed middle aged waitresses, I can't remember all the details, but we did go to the Bison Bay Cafe.
Last edited by scantronix on Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoamChomsky

New

Post by NoamChomsky » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:14 pm

scantronix wrote:I'm serious! Maybe not about the naked coeds, but that's where we went.
Most people realized that. Relax... a good sense of humor is always a +.

scantronix

New

Post by scantronix » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:18 pm

Aw you quoted me before my edit.

Anyway Dean Ortiz said that the deadline to submit intent to register is April 15th, but I don't know if they are waiting for that to admit more students or not. I *think* she mentioned that she got a new admit the day before the luncheon - I may be wrong, or she may be referring to a new confirmation vs. a new admit, I dunno. Not sure if they are doing an admissions freeze right now. She definitely said that the application deadline is being strictly enforced.
Last edited by scantronix on Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pany1985

Bronze

Post by pany1985 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:24 pm

My plan to convince my girlfriend to quit her job and follow me across the country is proving slightly more difficult than I'd hoped, but it might still work out

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”