In at UC Irvine

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LawApp2012
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:47 am

Re: In at UC Irvine

Postby LawApp2012 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:19 pm

Danteshek wrote:Does anyone know the details of Chem's contract? There is a lot of "key man risk" here.
Not sure what the actual contract terms are, but LA Times reported: "The goal of officials is to see UC Irvine rise to the top 20 as soon as possible, and Chemerinsky said he will commit the next 10 years of his career to being dean."

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/jul/19 ... e-ucilaw19

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: In at UC Irvine

Postby Danteshek » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:38 am

LawApp2012 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Does anyone know the details of Chem's contract? There is a lot of "key man risk" here.
Not sure what the actual contract terms are, but LA Times reported: "The goal of officials is to see UC Irvine rise to the top 20 as soon as possible, and Chemerinsky said he will commit the next 10 years of his career to being dean."

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/jul/19 ... e-ucilaw19


Thanks for the info. This business about giving everyone scholarships will probably mean I won't get in.

jibstir13
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:46 pm

Re: In at UC Irvine

Postby jibstir13 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:03 am

swheat wrote:
jibstir13 wrote:
LawApp2012 wrote:Not sure, but my guess is that they are waiting to see how many admitted students accept or decline. Since they can only offer up to 60 scholarships, it must be really nerve-racking for them to have to wait until April to know how many new applicants they can admit. They don't have the same flexibility most other schools have in relying on history to determine what % will accept their admission offers, so I think they're being safe in the chance that too many people might accept if they admitted more than 60 people. My job is stressful, but I don't envy their admissions committee right now.


do you think they have already admitted their ideal class and are waiting to see who accepts before doing another round of admissions?


Yup.



i too believe UCI has already admitted its ideal class and is waiting to see what happens in april...

although they probably left a few seats for february lsat takers...

i think the yield rate of the first batch of admits will greatly influence the second round of admissions...

the anticipation is killing me!

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: In at UC Irvine

Postby General Tso » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:35 am

jibstir13 wrote:
swheat wrote:
jibstir13 wrote:
LawApp2012 wrote:Not sure, but my guess is that they are waiting to see how many admitted students accept or decline. Since they can only offer up to 60 scholarships, it must be really nerve-racking for them to have to wait until April to know how many new applicants they can admit. They don't have the same flexibility most other schools have in relying on history to determine what % will accept their admission offers, so I think they're being safe in the chance that too many people might accept if they admitted more than 60 people. My job is stressful, but I don't envy their admissions committee right now.


do you think they have already admitted their ideal class and are waiting to see who accepts before doing another round of admissions?


Yup.



i too believe UCI has already admitted its ideal class and is waiting to see what happens in april...

although they probably left a few seats for february lsat takers...

i think the yield rate of the first batch of admits will greatly influence the second round of admissions...

the anticipation is killing me!


I would try to forget about it for now if I were you. I am not expecting to hear anything from UCI until June/July, if I hear anything at all.

What are your numbers/softs if you dont mind me asking? I am 3.8/162, 2 years WE

jibstir13
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:46 pm

Re: In at UC Irvine

Postby jibstir13 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:14 am

my stats r up on lsn...i'm a splitter like you but have a higher lsat and lower gpa...2 years WE too.

jibstir13
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:46 pm

Re: In at UC Irvine

Postby jibstir13 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:18 am

i try to keep my mind off the whole admissions waiting process but i still anxiously check my mailbox daily in hopes of getting good news...

UCI is especially killer because it is my top choice.

User avatar
Bigmike
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: In at UC Irvine

Postby Bigmike » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:44 am

Has anyone thought about what happens to this program if Chem DIES? (quits, gets appointed to supreme court etc...) I am applying, but it would be with fearful reluctance that I accept. Screw the free ride if the ride ends in disater...ya know?

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: In at UC Irvine

Postby Danteshek » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:52 am

Bigmike wrote:Has anyone thought about what happens to this program if Chem DIES? (quits, gets appointed to supreme court etc...) I am applying, but it would be with fearful reluctance that I accept. Screw the free ride if the ride ends in disater...ya know?


That's exactly what I was thinking all along. UCI is royally screwed if anything happens to Chem.

User avatar
Feathers
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: In at UC Irvine

Postby Feathers » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:34 pm

Hey! Let's not jinx anything here. Chem will be VERY healthy because he will have 60 devoted students bringing him apples every day.

Danteshek wrote:
Bigmike wrote:Has anyone thought about what happens to this program if Chem DIES? (quits, gets appointed to supreme court etc...) I am applying, but it would be with fearful reluctance that I accept. Screw the free ride if the ride ends in disater...ya know?


That's exactly what I was thinking all along. UCI is royally screwed if anything happens to Chem.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: In at UC Irvine

Postby General Tso » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:35 pm

Feathers wrote:Hey! Let's not jinx anything here. Chem will be VERY healthy because he will have 60 devoted students bringing him apples every day.

Danteshek wrote:
Bigmike wrote:Has anyone thought about what happens to this program if Chem DIES? (quits, gets appointed to supreme court etc...) I am applying, but it would be with fearful reluctance that I accept. Screw the free ride if the ride ends in disater...ya know?


That's exactly what I was thinking all along. UCI is royally screwed if anything happens to Chem.


lmao

Seriously...some of these people go overboard

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: In at UC Irvine

Postby Danteshek » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:00 pm

.

mstufts09
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:27 pm

Re: In at UC Irvine

Postby mstufts09 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:31 pm

New to the site. I got accepted to Irvine January 4th. Already accepted offer. Turning down: Northeastern, UCLA, Loyola, Suffolk,... :lol: Anyone else accepted already?

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: In at UC Irvine

Postby General Tso » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:39 pm

mstufts09 wrote:New to the site. I got accepted to Irvine January 4th. Already accepted offer. Turning down: Northeastern, UCLA, Loyola, Suffolk,... :lol: Anyone else accepted already?


Congrats! What were your numbers?

User avatar
scantronix
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:24 am

Re: In at UC Irvine

Postby scantronix » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:14 am

They requested my LSAC stuff Jan 15th, I got the phone call a week and a half later and I already accepted the offer. Turning down Temple so far - got that acceptance this Saturday. I haven't heard back from UCLA, USC, Northeastern, Boston U/C, Hastings and a slew of others, but I didn't submit until January.

On a side note about the urban dictionary/Irvine lifestyle discussion -
--LinkRemoved--

There is a ceramic tile color called "Irvine beige."

belligerentfuture
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:40 pm

Re: In at UC Irvine

Postby belligerentfuture » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:47 am

ack...the zero new acceptances thing is killing me....have a full ride to Pepperdine and in at Hastings etc, but just want my spot with Chem! 167/3.31 plus grad work, but starting to think maybe there are a slew of people like that. oh, and i want to go into public interest law, so the school's great relationship with non-profit firms in SoCal is perfect.......ahhhhhhhh! why don't they love me enough?!?! ;) ;)

User avatar
pany1985
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:08 am

Re: In at UC Irvine

Postby pany1985 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:41 pm

I was out in Cali for a weeklong vacation and did a campus visit while I was there. Everything's new (obviously) and I had a nice discussion with Ms. Ortiz for about an hour. I got a sneak peak at the first year curriculum, which she said is being mailed out as part of a larger packet to all the admitted students. I haven't actually recieved mine yet, but I assume it's in the mail by this point. There aren't actually "Torts" or "Contracts" classes, but classes that emphasize analytical skills as they apply to various parts of law... so basically it seems like the standard classes, just with a different focus and different names. I'm not sure if this was already determined for sure, but Chemerinsky is indeed teaching the ConLaw equivalent course. If it wasn't for the distance I think it'd be a no-brainer.

lifelesslived
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:03 pm

Re: In at UC Irvine

Postby lifelesslived » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:44 pm

so I take it you're not going to go?

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: In at UC Irvine

Postby Veritas » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:44 pm

lifelesslived wrote:so I take it you're not going to go?

Can you please give me your spot? Thanks you!

User avatar
pany1985
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:08 am

Re: In at UC Irvine

Postby pany1985 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:10 pm

lifelesslived wrote:so I take it you're not going to go?


You may take no such thing.

Despite the geographical complications of moving 3000 miles away, it's still probably my top choice at the moment.

LawApp2012
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:47 am

Re: In at UC Irvine

Postby LawApp2012 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:11 pm

pany1985 wrote:I was out in Cali for a weeklong vacation and did a campus visit while I was there. Everything's new (obviously) and I had a nice discussion with Ms. Ortiz for about an hour. I got a sneak peak at the first year curriculum, which she said is being mailed out as part of a larger packet to all the admitted students. I haven't actually recieved mine yet, but I assume it's in the mail by this point. There aren't actually "Torts" or "Contracts" classes, but classes that emphasize analytical skills as they apply to various parts of law... so basically it seems like the standard classes, just with a different focus and different names. I'm not sure if this was already determined for sure, but Chemerinsky is indeed teaching the ConLaw equivalent course. If it wasn't for the distance I think it'd be a no-brainer.
I got it in the mail over the weekend, looks really exciting! The courses had different names instead of just "Torts", "Contracts", etc... but in the description of the courses it had those words in bold font, probably to show that the subject matter will still focus on the traditional law school topics. Another cool thing in the letter is that each law student will be assigned an attorney mentor and a requirement will be to spend time with our mentor and watch them at work.

mstufts09
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:27 pm

Re: In at UC Irvine

Postby mstufts09 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:28 pm

Thanks. 3.5 / 163 (my mistake) with lots of softs, and great recs.

swheat wrote:
mstufts09 wrote:New to the site. I got accepted to Irvine January 4th. Already accepted offer. Turning down: Northeastern, UCLA, Loyola, Suffolk,... :lol: Anyone else accepted already?


Congrats! What were your numbers?
Last edited by mstufts09 on Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
pany1985
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:08 am

Re: In at UC Irvine

Postby pany1985 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:31 pm

Oh yeah... I remember Dean Ortiz mentioning Tufts as one of the non-CA schools they had people coming in from (as part of an assurance that I wasn't gonna be the only non-SoCal-ite around).


edit: At least I'm assuming that's what your name means. If not, then nevermind.

User avatar
scantronix
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:24 am

Re: In at UC Irvine

Postby scantronix » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:43 pm

[quote="mstufts09"]Thanks. 3.5 / 153 with lots of softs, and great recs.

wtf?

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: In at UC Irvine

Postby General Tso » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:43 pm

mstufts09 wrote:Thanks. 3.5 / 153 with lots of softs, and great recs.

swheat wrote:
mstufts09 wrote:New to the site. I got accepted to Irvine January 4th. Already accepted offer. Turning down: Northeastern, UCLA, Loyola, Suffolk,... :lol: Anyone else accepted already?


Congrats! What were your numbers?


:shock:

153 or 163?

clayboy
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:37 pm

Re: In at UC Irvine

Postby clayboy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:08 pm

Just thought I'd let y'all know I sent in my Statement of Intention to Register at UCI today.

Hope to meet some of you on Sunday. If you're going, send me a PM.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”