In at UC Irvine

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LawApp2012

Re: In at UC Irvine

Postby LawApp2012 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:41 pm

kp1981 wrote:
meg81 wrote:
LawApp2012 wrote:I'm in too. 167 / 3.96. I got the call last week, totally unexpected. I had convinced myself that I wasn't going to get in

What did you expect it would take to get in? Harvard numbers? Come on now. Either you're an eternal pessimist of the highest order or a UCI plant like BioLaw was suggesting.

I think some people here are kind of paranoid... I have been following LawApp2012 (my number's twin) on LSN for several weeks, so if she is a plant, it certainly was well-planned. Nobody really knew what it would take to get into UCI until a couple weeks ago when the acceptances started rolling out, so it is not unreasonable that she would be unsure of her chances. Don't we all have a little self-doubt until we get that phone call?

Seriously! I was really surprised at the reaction to my post. To me, if my only options are USD and UCI because of location, it's the coolest thing in the world right now that I get to decide between both. I was scoring 160 on allllllll of my lsat practice tests, every single one of them, and I was completely shocked when I somehow got 167 on the real thing. So, I'm not a genius and never thought I would have these kinds of opportunities. A year ago, I was thinking I would have to go to Thomas Jefferson or California Western in SD! I'm just really excited about everything.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:04 pm

LawApp2012 wrote:
kp1981 wrote:
meg81 wrote:
LawApp2012 wrote:I'm in too. 167 / 3.96. I got the call last week, totally unexpected. I had convinced myself that I wasn't going to get in

What did you expect it would take to get in? Harvard numbers? Come on now. Either you're an eternal pessimist of the highest order or a UCI plant like BioLaw was suggesting.

I think some people here are kind of paranoid... I have been following LawApp2012 (my number's twin) on LSN for several weeks, so if she is a plant, it certainly was well-planned. Nobody really knew what it would take to get into UCI until a couple weeks ago when the acceptances started rolling out, so it is not unreasonable that she would be unsure of her chances. Don't we all have a little self-doubt until we get that phone call?

Seriously! I was really surprised at the reaction to my post. To me, if my only options are USD and UCI because of location, it's the coolest thing in the world right now that I get to decide between both. I was scoring 160 on allllllll of my lsat practice tests, every single one of them, and I was completely shocked when I somehow got 167 on the real thing. So, I'm not a genius and never thought I would have these kinds of opportunities. A year ago, I was thinking I would have to go to Thomas Jefferson or California Western in SD! I'm just really excited about everything.

I'm thinking a UCI plant.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:15 pm

So, change of subject...

When do you think UCI will begin making some more admissions moves? WL or Dings?

apples11

Postby apples11 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:51 pm

I don't know but I am starting to get nervous. UCI is my first choice, and although I have some other solid offers I was hoping to hear from them soon. I'm 163/3.4, I never thought UCI's numbers would be as high as they are...

They also seemed to find people with high numbers who only applied to like 4 schools and all in Cali to boot.

scantronix

Postby scantronix » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:30 pm

They have obviously offered over 60 seats. What if we all decide we want to go? Do they have to start rescinding admissions or come up with extra scholarship money?

Also, how many applications do you think they received in total? I would like to say to anyone who will listen, "Yes, well they only had 60 seats for X number of applicants".

Bhpreppy

Postby Bhpreppy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:37 pm

Can we hope that they might change their policy and offer a full ride to the top 60 and increase the class size to 120? The remaining 60 won't get a full ride, but will get some sort of aid help. What do you guys think of that idea?

scantronix

Postby scantronix » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:54 pm

Erwin Chemerinsky just called me!

He sounds dreamy...

LawApp2012

Postby LawApp2012 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:16 pm

scantronix wrote:Erwin Chemerinsky just called me!

He sounds dreamy...

Me too! I missed the call and got a voicemail though. I don't really feel the need to call back and his message said I didn't need to, but is it rude if I don't? What did you talk about?

jibstir13

Postby jibstir13 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:49 pm

Congrats to everyone who got accepted!

UCI is my first choice as well and I can imagine how happy some of you must be.

I too am curious as to how many people they've accepted and if they are done.

UCI started accepting people about three weeks ago, and since the class size is 60, they should be running out of space or full.

what do you guys think?

google

Postby google » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:03 pm

I vividly recall Victoria Ortiz stating that they would accept no more than 60-61 students, and may even accept less.

Given that they're still accepting applications until March 1st, I seriously doubt that all the slots were already offered. I would say they've probably only offered 30-40 spots at this point.

Just pure speculation as usual. :)

meg81

Postby meg81 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:07 pm

Also don't forget that a good number of the people they're accepting (that we've seen so far) will also be getting acceptances from some highly ranked schools . All schools accept substantially more than they enroll, obviously. As far as we know they haven't even rejected anyone, let alone waitlisted. Too early to worry IMO.
Last edited by meg81 on Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scantronix

Postby scantronix » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:11 pm

I asked him what I needed to do to secure my seat. He said just say that I was going. And I said I am going. Then he asked me if I have long hair and said that he likes long hair. It was a little weird but he seems like a nice guy.

Rocky Estoppel

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:23 pm

google wrote:I vividly recall Victoria Ortiz stating that they would accept no more than 60-61 students, and may even accept less.

Given that they're still accepting applications until March 1st, I seriously doubt that all the slots were already offered. I would say they've probably only offered 30-40 spots at this point.

Just pure speculation as usual. :)

They'll accept more than 60 students. Not everyone who is accepted will choose to go. They want a class of 60 students not just to accept 60 students.

jibstir13

Postby jibstir13 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:07 pm

there are 11 admitted profiles on lsn for uci...

someone mentioned something like a 10:1 ratio for applications to lsn profiles...

that works out to a little more than 100 applicants admitted...

any other guesses what the ratio of profiles to applicants is?

jadedV

Postby jadedV » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:50 pm

Is there a deadline to make your decision? If so, when is it??

You'd think they'd make it before other law schools (before April) so that they can make adjustments as needed.

SoCal123

Postby SoCal123 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:00 pm

LawApp2012,

I think you should acknowledge the call. Send a handwritten note thanking him for calling you personally and (if you are planning on going) tell him how excited you are about the opportunity, and thank him again.

Just my opinion.

I envy you. :mrgreen:

LawApp2012 wrote:

He sounds dreamy...

Me too! I missed the call and got a voicemail though. I don't really feel the need to call back and his message said I didn't need to, but is it rude if I don't? What did you talk about?
LawApp2012 wrote:

He sounds dreamy...

pany1985

Postby pany1985 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:01 pm

The deadline to decide is April 1st

The letter says they can't make it any earlier than that

LawApp2012

Postby LawApp2012 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:02 pm

jadedV wrote:Is there a deadline to make your decision? If so, when is it??

You'd think they'd make it before other law schools (before April) so that they can make adjustments as needed.

The letter I received in the mail said something like "We cannot require you to confirm your decision until after April 2009, but we would appreciate if you can let us know if you decide to attend or withdraw at your earliest convenience". . .or something like that, can't remember the exact wording. Sounds like they're not allowed to require earlier notification.

Anonymous0L

Postby Anonymous0L » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:05 pm

pany1985 wrote:The deadline to decide is April 1st

The letter says they can't make it any earlier than that

well they can but it will be against ABA's good practices code.

LawApp2012

Postby LawApp2012 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:06 pm

[quote="SoCal123"]LawApp2012,

I think you should acknowledge the call. Send a handwritten note thanking him for calling you personally and (if you are planning on going) tell him how excited you are about the opportunity, and thank him again.

Just my opinion.

I envy you. :mrgreen:

I decided to call him back and left a message this morning. I actually do want to ask him what he thinks about my 1-hour commute situation, if he thinks it would be a really bad idea. I feel like it'll work and I have it all planned out, taking the train back and forth or staying at my parent's house in OC when needed, but we'll see what he says when he calls back.

LSATrocks

Postby LSATrocks » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:19 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but after having submited my app via snail mail I just wait until they order my report from lsac. Or is there a way to premptively send them a report bfore they recieve my app. Thanks any help is appreciated

dlm2100

Postby dlm2100 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:24 pm

LSATrocks wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but after having submited my app via snail mail I just wait until they order my report from lsac. Or is there a way to premptively send them a report bfore they recieve my app. Thanks any help is appreciated

I sent mine via snail mail on a Thursday in mid-January. They emailed me when they received it on Saturday and requested my report the following Tuesday. I don't think you need to worry about it.

clayboy

Postby clayboy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:51 pm

I visited UCI yesterday with my family and have three take-aways:

1. The first class of 60 students will be the darling babies of the UC system as a whole for their three years. Their experiences will be an essential part of the school's accreditation process, and will be a valued part of establishing the school's enduring infrastructure.

2. The 1L Curriculum they've devised is innovative, demanding, and unique, with a distinctive focus on lawyering skills and analysis rather than case regurgitation, clinical experience built into the second semester, and an International Law class as part of the curriculum.

3. Dean Ortiz reads this board and is watching you right now.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:56 pm

I just sent my app yesterday. Anyone think I have a chance with 3.87 and 162? I am hoping WL at least.

Love the location and the idea of being in the first class.

Thanks in advance

pany1985

Postby pany1985 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:02 pm

I've pretty much decided that if I can convince my girlfriend to move across the country with me, I'm gonna go with UCI. Now for the convincing...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”