In at UC Irvine Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
google

New

Re: In at UC Irvine

Post by google » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:09 pm

gyita wrote:Southern California. I got the letter on Saturday, but I only get to my mailbox on Saturdays, so that isn't an indication of when it arrived. The letter was dated April 7th.
When did you send in your application?

gyita

New

Post by gyita » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:13 pm

Sent it via overnight post on Feb. 27 for a Feb. 28 arrival. One of my LORs was a bit tardy (took abnormally long for LSAC to process) and went complete on or about March 6th.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:47 pm

Rejected.

alleycat13

New

Post by alleycat13 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:53 pm

A'nold wrote:Rejected.
:(

Sorry to hear that A'nold....when did you hear and all the other questions that go with that (date of letter, date of your app etc)....

alleycat13

New

Post by alleycat13 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:11 am

jibstir13 wrote:I am willing to stay in this discussion b/c you seem like a reasonable, mature individual and not the type who will "rub it in our faces".

alleycat13 wrote:
If you only knew how many hundreths of a point "success" was defined upon, and how many different "grading scales" there are at every single law school in the country. And just how subjective they are.

But I acknowledge that you can only opine based on your experience in both the world and life, and there is just really know way for you to know how utterly and completely black and white you are both making it.
You assume:

1. I do not know anything about law school grading curves.
2. That i don't understand how a minute difference between two scores can make a world of difference.
3. I do not realize there is a subjective element to law school exam grading.

These assumptions are incorrect.

alleycat13 wrote:
I think Jack may have been onto something. Are you threatened by me in some way?
I am not threatened by you - I am merely giving my opinion regarding the issue we are discussing.

alleycat13 wrote:
Neither one of you have even asked me what law school I go to, what tier it's on, if it's accredited by the ABA or just the Cal Bar, you've made no effort whatsoever to even attempt to figure out whether or not what I've completed is even remotely credible. This is the first mention of even a remote attempt to reach outside of a narrow pathway of thinking at "passed classes".
How does this matter regarding the issue we are discussing?

alleycat13 wrote:
You've just made assumptions, gathered them along with your preconceived notions and formed an opinion making a definitive statement to the tune of a resounding "NO" based on those factors and those factors alone.
You should practice what you preach and try understand why I am on this side of the fence rather than make assumptions about me. My opinion is based on what you have shared in previous posts in this thread, not on assumptions and preconceived notions.

alleycat13 wrote:
In law, the question always boils down to "what's the harm?" There is simply never a cause of action without a harm. Preventative measures are not taken unless it is to prevent a definitive, tangible harm being caused.

As of yet, I fail to see a harm that would be caused by allowing a current law student to join a new program at the beginning essentially "starting the race over again" as MG put it - other than causing trepidation, some fear and some discomfort in the linear mindsets of some - evidently not all - people involved and perhaps bringing said persons outside of their comfort zones. There is not, in fact or conjecture any actual, tangible or proven harm that it would cause.
The harm is you would be at a significant advantage because you are taking the same courses over, albeit with slight differences. You will greatly benefit from your prior law school experience during exams and will undoubtedly do better than you would without such experience. This will influence where you and others rank in the class, in turn influencing what happens during OCI. This is unfair to those who are attending law school for the first time.

From what i understand, UCI will not use a curve but it will be recommended. I don't understand what this really means, so maybe your prior experience as a law student won't matter as much at UCI. I believe what I said holds true at any other law school. Perhaps that is why you would like to attend UCI...Have you spoken to any other schools about voluntarily restarting law school?

As many have said before the decision is up to UCI. I wish you the best of luck and hope you find what you are looking for.
Well, thanks for the compliment jib, I would hope that all discussions, however divergent in opinions were mature...but, as I'm sure you know it's not always the case. You are right, I wouldn't rub it in anyone's faces, in fact I'm not even sure what that "position" would entail, short of placing my thumb on the end of my nose and wiggling my fingers whilst sticking out my tongue and saying "nanee nanee booboo". I hope that illustrates my complete disconnect with the paradigm.

I won't get too long winded with this one, as it seems that we could go 'round with this one for quite some time, so I am content with the outcome of "agree to disagree" if you are. I am not convinced that any tangible harm (among other things) has been proven, and you are convinced that a current law student should not be permitted to join the incoming class at UCI. Some people here have expressed their support for your view, some for mine, and some fall somewhere in between. Sounds like life to me. And look, nobody had to fight any wars or go to jail or get hurt over this one.

The views here are quite possibly illustrative of the diversity of views on the issue within the admissions committee itself, so I'm actually pretty grateful to have been given the opportunity to participate in a discussion about it. Whatever the outcome, I don't know if any applicants can say that they had the (possible) opportunity to contribute to the discussion regarding a possible controversy caused by their application. I think that's pretty spectacular, actually. :D

Oh, and regarding voluntarily starting over at other schools? Um, NO. lol...Other schools are not UCI. I only applied to UCI to do this because of what I believe the caliber/potential of the program, and the once in a lifetime opportunity to do some trailblazin' represents. I have absolutely no interest in doing this at another school. It's UCI that compelled this path....nothing else.

Signing off for now (and for a while, I promise!) :P

Alleycat
Last edited by alleycat13 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:12 am

alleycat13 wrote:
A'nold wrote:Rejected.
:(

Sorry to hear that A'nold....when did you hear and all the other questions that go with that (date of letter, date of your app etc)....

I applied in late October. I was in that huge batch but they sent it to the wrong address, lol! Thanks for the condolences.

jibstir13

New

Post by jibstir13 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:33 am

alleycat13...regardless of different view on the prior issue we both agree that the opportunity to be in the inaugural class at UCI Law is a very special, once in a lifetime opportunity!..

Many people who have posted in this thread believe UCI is a special place...It's great to read comments and respond to people trying (some who are already successful) to achieve the same goal even if we don't agree all the time.

alleycat13

New

Post by alleycat13 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:35 am

jibstir13 wrote:alleycat13...regardless of different view on the prior issue we both agree that the opportunity to be in the inaugural class at UCI Law is a very special, once in a lifetime opportunity!..

Many people who have posted in this thread believe UCI is a special place...It's great to read comments and respond to people trying (some who are already successful) to achieve the same goal even if we don't agree all the time.
Agreed. And emphatically so. :D

PublicLaw

New

Post by PublicLaw » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:27 pm

Out.

So. Cal, URM 166/3.77 (Degree=3.89) Applied 2/27 with a February LSAT. Same letter as everyone else here!

This thread is going to turn into "Out at UCI" At least I can finally move on, next year I'll apply at T14. 8)

Hope UCI turns out wonderfully for those of you attending!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ChipJan

New

Post by ChipJan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:50 pm

Last edited by ChipJan on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

google

New

Post by google » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:50 pm

PublicLaw wrote:Out.

So. Cal, URM 166/3.77 (Degree=3.89) Applied 2/27 with a February LSAT. Same letter as everyone else here!

This thread is going to turn into "Out at UCI" At least I can finally move on, next year I'll apply at T14. 8)

They probably thought you'd go to a T14 because your numbers and qualifications certainly indicate you're a shoe-in! :)

PublicLaw

New

Post by PublicLaw » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:20 pm

ChipJan wrote:
PublicLaw wrote:Out.

Wow. I'm shocked you did not get accepted or even waitlisted! Those are auto-admit numbers at many of the T-14 as a URM. Did you just get the letter today?
Just got the letter today, don't know why I didn't get waitlisted, I spent the time on the application to reply to all of the optional questions to let them know I was serious. I hadn't intended to apply to law school this year (hence the Feb. LSAT) and didn't apply anywhere else. This was their chance to get me but it make sense if they filled their class too early. :roll: oh well, I plan on retaking the LSAT with more study time. (only had 3 weeks)

ChipJan

New

Post by ChipJan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:30 pm

Last edited by ChipJan on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ChipJan

New

Post by ChipJan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:50 pm

Last edited by ChipJan on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alleycat13

New

Post by alleycat13 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:27 pm

ChipJan wrote:
ChipJan wrote:
PublicLaw wrote:Just got the letter today, don't know why I didn't get waitlisted, I spent the time on the application to reply to all of the optional questions to let them know I was serious. I hadn't intended to apply to law school this year (hence the Feb. LSAT) and didn't apply anywhere else. This was their chance to get me but it make sense if they filled their class too early. :roll: oh well, I plan on retaking the LSAT with more study time. (only had 3 weeks)
I am sorry to hear that. Good luck next year. I'm sure you'll end up an amazing law school.

I was secretly hoping you would be accepted because your numbers are pretty comparable to mine, so I figured it would be a decent barometer of my chances. Now I'm surely expecting a thin white envelope.
Hey guess what. As soon as I posted this, my wife called with the bad news. Same exact situation as PublicLaw (minus my extreme whiteness). Only applied to UCI. Originally planned on re-taking the test and applying next year, until sending in the application during the last week in Feb.

169 / 3.56 / S. Calif. resident
I am so sorry you guys - both of you! If UCI is still your first choice next year, then I strongly suggest re-applying - it'll still be the same once in a lifetime opportunity next year, but presumably with some kinks worked out. I wish you both the best, and if there's anything I can do to help, please feel free to PM me.

gcalvin

New

Post by gcalvin » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:57 pm

Just got my rejection letter. Dated 4/7, postmarked 4/13. 173/2.64 (3.74), decent softs, non-traditional (48). Application went in mid-February, acknowledged 2/21, LSAC report sent 2/24. The lateness probably hurt me the most, but my LSAC GPA didn't do me any good. Congratulations and best wishes to the inaugural class!

alleycat13

New

Post by alleycat13 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:42 pm

gcalvin wrote:Just got my rejection letter. Dated 4/7, postmarked 4/13. 173/2.64 (3.74), decent softs, non-traditional (48). Application went in mid-February, acknowledged 2/21, LSAC report sent 2/24. The lateness probably hurt me the most, but my LSAC GPA didn't do me any good. Congratulations and best wishes to the inaugural class!
Got mine too. I don't do numbers (LSAT/GPA) but mine went in 3/1. Was confused by a request for my final LOR from LSAC on 4/7 from LSAC, but evidently, the request for LOR can/would be made even if I was already in the reject pile. :cry:

Oh well. (I am quite a bit more bummed than I am letting on, but an eternal optimist...) Good luck to all admits, and my offer stands that if you want help setting up student orgs, Student Bar Association or even just advice or pointers etc., let me know. Also, I have a phone interview for a 9th circuit Lt. Governor Position on Sunday, so I'll keep you posted on that one as well. I'll be in touch!

Alleycat

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

naivekid1986

New

Post by naivekid1986 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:09 pm

aw poop. sorry to everyone who got cut.

the numbers of the outs at UCI are getting too high, too close.

i'm probably next in line to get my rejection letter. sigh.

PublicLaw

New

Post by PublicLaw » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:58 pm

naivekid1986 wrote:aw poop. sorry to everyone who got cut.

Unfortunately I don't think that many of us who applied late in the cycle even had a chance. Bottom line, the offer was too attractive for the original admits to pass up...there are just not enough spots left.

naivekid1986

New

Post by naivekid1986 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:34 pm

is 1/15 late in the cycle? :shock: i'm guessing yes.

alleycat13

New

Post by alleycat13 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:39 pm

PublicLaw wrote:
naivekid1986 wrote:aw poop. sorry to everyone who got cut.

Unfortunately I don't think that many of us who applied late in the cycle even had a chance. Bottom line, the offer was too attractive for the original admits to pass up...there are just not enough spots left.
Yeah, I have to agree with you there...but I read somewhere (can't cite a source) that even where a seat deposit is involved, law schools have something like a 60% rejection rate from admitted students? Anyway, guess that's why they have the wait-list, huh? I'm sure they could re-fill the class 3x with the wait list they've got. :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PublicLaw

New

Post by PublicLaw » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:40 pm

naivekid1986 wrote:is 1/15 late in the cycle? :shock: i'm guessing yes.
Unfortunately, probably so. I think their first batch of admits went out about then. I haven't heard of any admits much after that. Waitlist, maybe, but not admit. But here's to hoping!

LawApp2012

New

Post by LawApp2012 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:41 pm

naivekid1986 wrote:is 1/15 late in the cycle? :shock: i'm guessing yes.
I snail-mailed mine on 1/5, so it probably arrived later that week and I was still waiting for my third letter of recommendation for a couple of weeks after that. I don't think 1/15 was too late, but the Feb applications might have been. However, Dean Ortiz was talking about how incredible it would be if even 40% of the first admitted students ended up matriculating, so I don't think they were expecting to get such a high response after the first wave of admissions.

LizLemon

New

Post by LizLemon » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:37 am

Got my rejection letter today. At first, I was bummed. Then I was pissed about how much time I put into the application only to basically have no chance because I applied later than most.

jobobojo

New

Post by jobobojo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:45 am

Oh well at least it was free. Talk about a hype-machine. Next year will be interesting.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”