IN at University of Iowa Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Anonymous0L

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Post by Anonymous0L » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:21 am

Whitty wrote:
Jwatson wrote:
4 people + this chris guy all in one day.
Its not like this is the only school people are having to make tough choices with. Like I said, April 1st is just the nudge to get people to commit/withdraw.

Im not worried. :lol:
Who is going to iowa from tls whitty?

chris888777

New

Post by chris888777 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:21 am

If I don't get into some schools that i'm waitlisted/pending at, GMU with $$

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:25 am

Jwatson wrote:
Who is going to iowa from tls whitty?
Thus far..

Iowa Law, Class of 2012
crystalhawkeye
rainmaker614
mikeytwoshoes
Whitty
scott82
Lawguru
NorseHawk
Brick Tamland
isustudent
Tentative of course, but either way.. :mrgreen:

New Madrid

New

Post by New Madrid » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:08 am

Jwatson wrote:
Whitty wrote:
Jwatson wrote:
chris888777 wrote:Just withdrew. One of the most difficult decisions i've made regarding law school. Hopefully I open up a spot for those of you on the waitlist.
why is everyone suddenly all withdrawing from iowa?
Deposit time watson..this is when it gets ugly. :(
4 people + this chris guy all in one day.
As one of those people, I'd caution you not to draw conclusions based simply on these last-minute choices. We all have to choose one school, you know?

My decision to attend another school should not be seen as a negative reflection on Iowa. In fact, I was really impressed with the school, faculty, and students at ASD. For me it came down to geographic preference for another state, and career and family connections there--and a late scholarship offer.

Mitchske

New

Post by Mitchske » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:07 pm

Similarly,

I think that I've chosen to not go to Iowa versus a lower ranked school with a substantial scholarship. Iowa seems like a great school, but I'm weary about putting myself in $100,000 of debt if I can help it.

I'll definitely know next Tuesday. If my tentative scholarship offer doesn't come through, I'll be headed to Iowa in the Fall.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:10 pm

Mitchske wrote:Similarly,

I think that I've chosen to not go to Iowa versus a lower ranked school with a substantial scholarship. Iowa seems like a great school, but I'm weary about putting myself in $100,000 of debt if I can help it.

I'll definitely know next Tuesday. If my tentative scholarship offer doesn't come through, I'll be headed to Iowa in the Fall.
I'm hoping Iowa can come through for me, too. If not, I'll likely still go, but if my offer from an in-state, lower-ranked increases, that'll be where I end up as well.

stuffnuff

New

Post by stuffnuff » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:45 pm

What did Iowa say were the prospects for those of us accepted w/o money? Have they said how much, if any, money will likely make its way to us?

Mitchske

New

Post by Mitchske » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:48 pm

I called today and they put me on some sort of perferred scholarship list - but he said in recent years only 5 or so spots have opened for 125 people, which means it's not looking good.

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:50 pm

Mitchske wrote:I called today and they put me on some sort of perferred scholarship list - but he said in recent years only 5 or so spots have opened for 125 people, which means it's not looking good.
I'm leaning toward withdrawing right now...which means a full ride will open up! Will keep y'all posted.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Brick Tamland

New

Post by Brick Tamland » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:51 pm

Mitchske wrote:I called today and they put me on some sort of perferred scholarship list - but he said in recent years only 5 or so spots have opened for 125 people, which means it's not looking good.

Who did you call? Dean Byrd or financial aid office?

Mitchske

New

Post by Mitchske » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:46 pm

Byrd
Brick Tamland wrote:

Who did you call? Dean Byrd or financial aid office?

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:59 pm

Man. I just got my FA package. 125 k in loans. That is a bitch. I'm seriously considering St. Thomas in Minneapolis over Iowa now.S St. Thomas gave me a full-ride.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:01 pm

Haven't gotten mine yet, but I expect something similar. If that is what I get, I may also say see-ya to Iowa.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:02 pm

:cry:

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:19 pm

Whitty wrote::cry:
There will be other cute boys, Whitty. :oops:

slowdiver

New

Post by slowdiver » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:44 pm

Whitty wrote:
uncle mike wrote:
kollegekid wrote: nobody before April 1st comes off the hold list, in rare instances they do, and after April 1st everyone is moved to the waiting list. After April they go through the waitlist and "cut it down"(rejections) and then later on possibly even as late as May they take approximately 10-15 people of the waitlist.

Waitlist info for all.
Wow, really? This can't be right, I know they have let a few people off of the hold list in the past few weeks. Don't lose hope umike! :wink:
If it helps, I got off the waitlist at Iowa in June. I'd already put a deposit down elsewhere and was going to look at an apartment the same day I received the email. If you have the time and the interest, try to schedule a time in April to come visit the school and meet with the admissions people (Collins Byrd especially). It shows that you're interested and that you'll be likely to accept if they offer you a spot later. Good luck.

uncle mike

New

Post by uncle mike » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:20 am

On waitlist.

When are first deposits due?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:23 am

uncle mike wrote:On waitlist.

When are first deposits due?
I may not be going to/applied to Iowa, but they were first due Wednesday.

daddymike

New

Post by daddymike » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:57 pm

Accepted via email on Friday. I am seriously considering it, especially if they throw me some money for first year and in-state tuition for 2nd and 3rd year with the RA gig.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:00 pm

daddymike wrote:Accepted via email on Friday. I am seriously considering it, especially if they throw me some money for first year and in-state tuition for 2nd and 3rd year with the RA gig.
The ran out of merit money two months ago but they might get some back. A lot of people are on the merit waiting list, though.

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:50 pm

daddymike wrote:Accepted via email on Friday. I am seriously considering it, especially if they throw me some money for first year and in-state tuition for 2nd and 3rd year with the RA gig.
Congrats! There are quite a few TLSers attending Iowa in the fall, hope to see you there! :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

daddymike

New

Post by daddymike » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:53 pm

Thanks! :D

I'd honestly be super happy if they threw me somewhere around 10K to swallow that big first year out of state tuition bill. If I can graduate top-30 with 50k in overall tuition it would be great!!!

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:54 pm

daddymike wrote:Thanks! :D

I'd honestly be super happy if they threw me somewhere around 10K to swallow that big first year out of state tuition bill. If I can graduate top-30 with 50k in overall tuition it would be great!!!
Well I wouldnt hold your breath for $$, most of us have been waiting for good news in that department for a while and there seems to be quite a line, but Im still thrilled about Iowa and I've decided to just be happy there either way! :mrgreen:

poiuy

New

Post by poiuy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:14 am

crystalhawkeye wrote:
Jwatson wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote: Good luck crystal. You'll do well wherever you end up (even if it somehow is Cincinnati.)
As nice as it looked/sounded, it won't be. But thanks for the kind words; think I need them right now, haha.
So it's back to MSU or Iowa huh for you Crystal?
Maybe IU-Bloomington if I come off the WL. Or W&L if God decides he likes me again.

W&L huh? That's one of the schools I'm wait-listed at. I agree that W&L is more competitive to get into (especially since I got in at Iowa but wait-listed at W&L), but out of curiosity, what are your thoughts as to why you'd prefer W&L (assuming you would prefer W&L).

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:24 pm

poiuy wrote:W&L huh? That's one of the schools I'm wait-listed at. I agree that W&L is more competitive to get into (especially since I got in at Iowa but wait-listed at W&L), but out of curiosity, what are your thoughts as to why you'd prefer W&L (assuming you would prefer W&L).
For the record, I WD and am going to Iowa. But W&L was just an awesome, awesome school. Everything from the city to the campus to the library (all students get carrols?? Hell yes) was just amazing. They have a really small 1L class (125 :shock: ) which means you would get to know everyone and it would be a great learning environment. The classrooms were gorgeous and the professors seemed like the most entertaining, willing-to-help bunch ever. The only real downside I saw was that the place predominately in Virginia/South regions. I don't want to work there. I would be happy spending 3 years in Lexington, but after that, I'd want to come back North and I don't know how well the W&L name travels.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”