IN at University of Iowa

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hoosier1508
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby hoosier1508 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:39 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Whitty wrote:
greentrees wrote:The law school's original location was actually right across the street from the Pentacrest in Gilmore Hall:

Image



Geez why couldn't they just keep the LS in that building????

Technology issues, Whitteh. Can't have a classroom building without internet these days and you can't retrofit those old buildings.

Why couldn't they build a replica?


I don't see why not. There are quite a few law schools in older buildings that have revamped classrooms with internet access. I'm certain Iowa regrets the design of Boyd to some extent, it certainly doesn't help them in recruiting.

User avatar
Whitty
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:20 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby Whitty » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:44 pm

hoosier1508 wrote:
I don't see why not. There are quite a few law schools in older buildings that have revamped classrooms with internet access. I'm certain Iowa regrets the design of Boyd to some extent, it certainly doesn't help them in recruiting.


Indeed, the building is certainly an eye sore but the rest of the campus looks really nice ( at least during the warmer seasons) and it seems like Boyd sticks out like a sore thumb.


Maybe they should let ivy cover the building or just give it a little facelift!

greentrees
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:44 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby greentrees » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:02 am

Both Gilmore Hall and the International Center (formerly Law Commons and now nonexistent) ended up being too small for the law library...

http://www.law.uiowa.edu/library/history.php

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:18 pm

greentrees wrote:Both Gilmore Hall and the International Center (formerly Law Commons and now nonexistent) ended up being too small for the law library...

http://www.law.uiowa.edu/library/history.php

Half of the law library should be digitized now anyway.

rainmaker614
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:07 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby rainmaker614 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:20 pm

Anyone get a chance to see the rare book room? I totally forgot when I went...

I'm surprised they didn't show us on the tour considering that those rooms are usually the most kick ass parts of any library.

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:31 pm

rainmaker614 wrote:Anyone get a chance to see the rare book room? I totally forgot when I went...

I'm surprised they didn't show us on the tour considering that those rooms are usually the most kick ass parts of any library.

I'm sure they didn't want 50 people traipsing through their collection of irreplaceable volumes. I would expect that they won't even show individual people those books unless they have a legitimate interest in researching them. At my undergrad school, they have a massive collection of rare Irish books. To get information from them, you have to submit a request and the librarians will show you the books or photocopy relevant sections (I can't remember but I'm leaning toward the former because of the light used in photocopying).

It definitely would have been the highlight of the tour and second to the mock class for the day.

rainmaker614
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:07 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby rainmaker614 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:04 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
rainmaker614 wrote:Anyone get a chance to see the rare book room? I totally forgot when I went...

I'm surprised they didn't show us on the tour considering that those rooms are usually the most kick ass parts of any library.

I'm sure they didn't want 50 people traipsing through their collection of irreplaceable volumes. I would expect that they won't even show individual people those books unless they have a legitimate interest in researching them. At my undergrad school, they have a massive collection of rare Irish books. To get information from them, you have to submit a request and the librarians will show you the books or photocopy relevant sections (I can't remember but I'm leaning toward the former because of the light used in photocopying).

It definitely would have been the highlight of the tour and second to the mock class for the day.


Valid point of course but I still find it odd because all of the other law schools (and undergrad schools, several years ago) that I have been to and toured made it a point to show students the room (any decent law school should have a great rare book room). Rare Irish books? Interesting. Take a look at Yale's rare book LIBRARY.... nice....

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
stuffnuff
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:29 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby stuffnuff » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:11 pm

rainmaker614 wrote:Take a look at Yale's rare book LIBRARY.... nice....

--ImageRemoved--


...Damn.

Anonymous0L

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby Anonymous0L » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:25 pm

Beinecke is awesome. 8)

uncle mike
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:21 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby uncle mike » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:15 pm

Waitlisted today - 164/3.2/OOS/non-URM

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:24 pm

uncle mike wrote:Waitlisted today - 164/3.2/OOS/non-URM

I'm sorry to hear that. You should send a letter detailing your interest and any new academic information.

uncle mike
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:21 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby uncle mike » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:32 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
uncle mike wrote:Waitlisted today - 164/3.2/OOS/non-URM

I'm sorry to hear that. You should send a letter detailing your interest and any new academic information.


Thanks Mikey. I had sent two interim letters with updates but I came up a bit short.

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:39 pm

uncle mike wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
uncle mike wrote:Waitlisted today - 164/3.2/OOS/non-URM

I'm sorry to hear that. You should send a letter detailing your interest and any new academic information.


Thanks Mikey. I had sent two interim letters with updates but I came up a bit short.

Then write about your interest in University of Iowa College of Law. Your LSAT is very competitive at Iowa. Good luck.

uncle mike
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:21 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby uncle mike » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:41 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
uncle mike wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
uncle mike wrote:Waitlisted today - 164/3.2/OOS/non-URM

I'm sorry to hear that. You should send a letter detailing your interest and any new academic information.


Thanks Mikey. I had sent two interim letters with updates but I came up a bit short.

Then write about your interest in University of Iowa College of Law. Your LSAT is very competitive at Iowa. Good luck.


Will do, thanks.

uncle mike
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:21 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby uncle mike » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:07 pm

[quote="kollegekid"]So I talked to admissions yesterday via email because I am on hold and I was curious about the whole on hold process, and they basically told me that nobody before April 1st comes off the hold list, in rare instances they do, and after April 1st everyone is moved to the waiting list. After April they go through the waitlist and "cut it down"(rejections) and then later on possibly even as late as May they take approximately 10-15 people of the waitlist. The point being that it is a long process as they have to wait for applicants to withdraw and to see the applicant pool. UGGGG. I hope this answers a few questions for those of us on hold.


Waitlist info for all.

User avatar
Whitty
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:20 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby Whitty » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:23 pm

uncle mike wrote:
kollegekid wrote: nobody before April 1st comes off the hold list, in rare instances they do, and after April 1st everyone is moved to the waiting list. After April they go through the waitlist and "cut it down"(rejections) and then later on possibly even as late as May they take approximately 10-15 people of the waitlist.

Waitlist info for all.


Wow, really? This can't be right, I know they have let a few people off of the hold list in the past few weeks. Don't lose hope umike! :wink:

User avatar
Rocky Estoppel
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:41 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:33 pm

"Officially" Waitlisted from the hold category.

User avatar
Whitty
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:20 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby Whitty » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:38 pm

kak23 wrote:"Officially" Waitlisted from the hold category.


LOCI time kak!

chris888777
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:49 am

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby chris888777 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:53 am

Just withdrew. One of the most difficult decisions i've made regarding law school. Hopefully I open up a spot for those of you on the waitlist.

Anonymous0L

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby Anonymous0L » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:54 am

chris888777 wrote:Just withdrew. One of the most difficult decisions i've made regarding law school. Hopefully I open up a spot for those of you on the waitlist.


why is everyone suddenly all withdrawing from iowa?

User avatar
Whitty
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:20 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby Whitty » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:57 am

Jwatson wrote:
chris888777 wrote:Just withdrew. One of the most difficult decisions i've made regarding law school. Hopefully I open up a spot for those of you on the waitlist.


why is everyone suddenly all withdrawing from iowa?


Deposit time watson..this is when it gets ugly. :(

Anonymous0L

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby Anonymous0L » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:59 am

Whitty wrote:
Jwatson wrote:
chris888777 wrote:Just withdrew. One of the most difficult decisions i've made regarding law school. Hopefully I open up a spot for those of you on the waitlist.


why is everyone suddenly all withdrawing from iowa?


Deposit time watson..this is when it gets ugly. :(


4 people + this chris guy all in one day.

chris888777
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:49 am

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby chris888777 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:09 am

I think Iowa is a great school. I just simply got a better financial offer from a very similar school. Plus, Iowa is too far away from my family.

Anonymous0L

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby Anonymous0L » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:11 am

chris888777 wrote:I think Iowa is a great school. I just simply got a better financial offer from a very similar school. Plus, Iowa is too far away from my family.


Where are you going instead?

User avatar
Whitty
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:20 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby Whitty » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:13 am

Jwatson wrote:
4 people + this chris guy all in one day.


Its not like this is the only school people are having to make tough choices with. Like I said, April 1st is just the nudge to get people to commit/withdraw.

Im not worried. :lol:




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AustinLu, Baidu [Spider], bcapace, Hildegard15, michelekfla, Veil of Ignorance and 20 guests