IN at University of Iowa

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crystalhawkeye

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby crystalhawkeye » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:31 am

Lotta talk in this thread tonight. Too bad I was off enjoying my time away from the computer 8)

RA positions are being touted as very likely and it's a risk I would take by going, one I think is relatively small in the scope of risk overall by going to LS anywhere. I've been doing the prestige v. price debate for about 2 months now, realizing it would be the choice I'd face if accepted to Iowa. If Iowa offers something that frees up or something based on my FAFSA info., that would seal the deal. If not, it is very possible I will not go. I'm going to visit MSU again soon to try and be more objective and see if the campus really was that much worse. If not, the thought of graduating with well under six-figures of debt is awfully tempting. Plus, I like Michigan, just not this (Detroit) area. Living in, say, Ann Arbor, Dexter, White Lake, etc., and working where there are firms would be fine with me. I would get the wonderful outdoor offerings of this state without having to deal with the urban blight that is the SE corner. I'll likely send two deposits in, but until I hear about my FAFSA, I'll still be debating whether or not to go.

Then again, you guys will all be at Iowa :)

coolkatz321

Postby coolkatz321 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:38 am

crystalhawkeye wrote:Lotta talk in this thread tonight. Too bad I was off enjoying my time away from the computer 8)

RA positions are being touted as very likely and it's a risk I would take by going, one I think is relatively small in the scope of risk overall by going to LS anywhere. I've been doing the prestige v. price debate for about 2 months now, realizing it would be the choice I'd face if accepted to Iowa. If Iowa offers something that frees up or something based on my FAFSA info., that would seal the deal. If not, it is very possible I will not go. I'm going to visit MSU again soon to try and be more objective and see if the campus really was that much worse. If not, the thought of graduating with well under six-figures of debt is awfully tempting. Plus, I like Michigan, just not this (Detroit) area. Living in, say, Ann Arbor, Dexter, White Lake, etc., and working where there are firms would be fine with me. I would get the wonderful outdoor offerings of this state without having to deal with the urban blight that is the SE corner. I'll likely send two deposits in, but until I hear about my FAFSA, I'll still be debating whether or not to go.

Then again, you guys will all be at Iowa :)

Good luck crystal. You'll do well wherever you end up (even if it somehow is Cincinnati.)

crystalhawkeye

Postby crystalhawkeye » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:39 am

coolkatz321 wrote:Good luck crystal. You'll do well wherever you end up (even if it somehow is Cincinnati.)

As nice as it looked/sounded, it won't be. But thanks for the kind words; think I need them right now, haha.

Anonymous0L

Postby Anonymous0L » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:41 am

crystalhawkeye wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:Good luck crystal. You'll do well wherever you end up (even if it somehow is Cincinnati.)

As nice as it looked/sounded, it won't be. But thanks for the kind words; think I need them right now, haha.

So it's back to MSU or Iowa huh for you Crystal?

crystalhawkeye

Postby crystalhawkeye » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:43 am

Jwatson wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:

Maybe IU-Bloomington if I come off the WL. Or W&L if God decides he likes me again.

Anonymous0L

Postby Anonymous0L » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:46 am

crystalhawkeye wrote:
Jwatson wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:

Maybe IU-Bloomington if I come off the WL. Or W&L if God decides he likes me again.

:( (hugs crystal) It'll work out.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:49 am

crystalhawkeye wrote:Maybe IU-Bloomington if I come off the WL. Or W&L if God decides he likes me again.

What you need to do now is go and smear Vasaline on your sister's door handle. Trust me, you'll feel better! :twisted: :wink:

greentrees

Postby greentrees » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:22 am

New Madrid wrote:I know what you mean. While I liked the campus, I didn't love it. If only the law school were in one of those buildings on the Pentacrest...

Did you go inside any of them? :D

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:54 pm

greentrees wrote:
New Madrid wrote:I know what you mean. While I liked the campus, I didn't love it. If only the law school were in one of those buildings on the Pentacrest...

Did you go inside any of them? :D

Okay, what's the deal with those buildings? I only drove past them.

scott82

Postby scott82 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:18 pm

Iowa City was the original capital of Iowa; those buildings were the original gov't offices. They're on the historical registry which means they get (more or less) kept in as "original" condition as possible. Iowa became a state in 1846. Deduce from that what you will.

They're classrooms, university offices and museums now and, while an important piece of history to be sure, are not always conducive to a learning atmosphere. Think huge old doors, long wide corridors, lots of echoes and ambient noise.

Granted, the Boyd Law Building is kind of a postmodern blight from the outside, but at least it's only 23 years old. I'd say it serves its purpose pretty well. If you want to see counterproductive architecture in action, visit the English/Philosophy Building sometime; Brick and concrete drab brutalism that couldn't inspire less creativity or free thought if it were built with such spirit-crushing intent in mind.

--ImageRemoved--

Personally, I just made sure to find an apartment in a quieter part of town, as to avoid the drunken revelry that permeates the downtown area most weekends of the school year. I imagine that'll be pretty key to success during 1L.

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:43 pm

scott82 wrote:Iowa City was the original capital of Iowa; those buildings were the original gov't offices. They're on the historical registry which means they get (more or less) kept in as "original" condition as possible. Iowa became a state in 1846. Deduce from that what you will.

They're classrooms, university offices and museums now and, while an important piece of history to be sure, are not always conducive to a learning atmosphere. Think huge old doors, long wide corridors, lots of echoes and ambient noise.

Granted, the Boyd Law Building is kind of a postmodern blight from the outside, but at least it's only 23 years old. I'd say it serves its purpose pretty well. If you want to see counterproductive architecture in action, visit the English/Philosophy Building sometime; Brick and concrete drab brutalism that couldn't inspire less creativity or free thought if it were built with such spirit-crushing intent in mind.

--ImageRemoved--

Personally, I just made sure to find an apartment in a quieter part of town, as to avoid the drunken revelry that permeates the downtown area most weekends of the school year. I imagine that'll be pretty key to success during 1L.

Makes sense but I'm certain New Madrid was thinking more along the lines of just the architecture.

greentrees

Postby greentrees » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:24 am

The law school's original location was actually right across the street from the Pentacrest in Gilmore Hall:

Then it was moved here (this building was torn down recently):

--ImageRemoved--

Now it's in Boyd. Boyd may lack the academic aesthetic of the Pentacrest buildings but I'm actually sort of partial to it.

edit: scott82 is right on.
Last edited by greentrees on Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

New Madrid

Postby New Madrid » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:24 am

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
scott82 wrote:Iowa City was the original capital of Iowa; those buildings were the original gov't offices. They're on the historical registry which means they get (more or less) kept in as "original" condition as possible. Iowa became a state in 1846. Deduce from that what you will.

--ImageRemoved--

Makes sense but I'm certain New Madrid was thinking more along the lines of just the architecture.

That's right. And the virtual tour of the Old Capitol.

New Madrid

Postby New Madrid » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:25 am

greentrees wrote:The law school's original location was actually right across the street from the Pentacrest in Gilmore Hall:

Then it was moved here (this building was torn down recently):

--ImageRemoved--

Now it's in Boyd. Boyd may lack the academic aesthetic of the Pentacrest buildings but I'm actually sort of partial to it.

edit: scott82 is right on.

Wow--what was that monstrosity called (the demolished one)?

New Madrid

Postby New Madrid » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:28 am

I bet if they moved the law school back into Gilmore Hall, Iowa instantly would be back in the top 20. Love that architecture!

Well, I'm going in any case. To me the Spacecraft of Law will suffice.

greentrees

Postby greentrees » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:13 am

New Madrid wrote:Wow--what was that monstrosity called (the demolished one)?

I always knew it as the International Center (it's post-law school identity).

greentrees

Postby greentrees » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:18 am

New Madrid wrote:I bet if they moved the law school back into Gilmore Hall, Iowa instantly would be back in the top 20. Love that architecture!

Haha. I recently heard Willard Boyd (of Boyd Law Building notoriety) refer to it as "that silo-looking building" (or something to that effect) in class.

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:39 am

greentrees wrote:
New Madrid wrote:I bet if they moved the law school back into Gilmore Hall, Iowa instantly would be back in the top 20. Love that architecture!

Haha. I recently heard Willard Boyd (of Boyd Law Building notoriety) refer to it as "that silo-looking building" (or something to that effect) in class.

At least they don't try to convince people that its post modern styling is aesthetically pleasing. However, it looks nothing like a silo. Silos are tall and skinny whereas Boyd is short and fat. Silos are also useful but Boyd is a detriment.

jschuyler

Postby jschuyler » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:45 am

scott82 wrote: If you want to see counterproductive architecture in action, visit the English/Philosophy Building sometime; Brick and concrete drab brutalism that couldn't inspire less creativity or free thought if it were built with such spirit-crushing intent in mind.

--ImageRemoved--

Oh man, I used to teach in that building. It was the worst. I shared an office on the top floor that had a view of a giant parking lot and a power plant. On the other hand, at least it's near the river!

greentrees

Postby greentrees » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:29 am

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
greentrees wrote:

At least they don't try to convince people that its post modern styling is aesthetically pleasing. However, it looks nothing like a silo. Silos are tall and skinny whereas Boyd is short and fat. Silos are also useful but Boyd is a detriment.

The shared cylindrical shape is some basis for comparison. I don't think he was suggesting it looked exactly like a silo.

greentrees

Postby greentrees » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:31 am

jschuyler wrote:
scott82 wrote: If you want to see counterproductive architecture in action, visit the English/Philosophy Building sometime; Brick and concrete drab brutalism that couldn't inspire less creativity or free thought if it were built with such spirit-crushing intent in mind.

--ImageRemoved--

Oh man, I used to teach in that building. It was the worst. I shared an office on the top floor that had a view of a giant parking lot and a power plant. On the other hand, at least it's near the river!

At least it's riot-proof! Crazy English and Philosophy students... :wink:

New Madrid

Postby New Madrid » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:41 pm

jschuyler wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

Not exactly a benefit in Iowa City . . .

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:19 pm

New Madrid wrote:
jschuyler wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

Not exactly a benefit in Iowa City . . .

That's the good part about Boyd. It's near the river but on a hill. Wait a minute; that's a bad thing. If the building had been flood damaged, they would at least have put in new carpet. If we had been really lucky, the damn thing would have collapsed.

Don't feel bad, Boyd Law Building. I'll be calling you home for the next few years, assuming no transfer.

Whitty

Postby Whitty » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:06 pm

greentrees wrote:The law school's original location was actually right across the street from the Pentacrest in Gilmore Hall:

Geez why couldn't they just keep the LS in that building????

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:15 pm

Whitty wrote:

Geez why couldn't they just keep the LS in that building????

Technology issues, Whitteh. Can't have a classroom building without internet these days and you can't retrofit those old buildings.

Why couldn't they build a replica?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”