IN at University of Iowa

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mikeytwoshoes

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:58 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
IpunchedCharlieRose wrote:It seems like I'm the only one here who didn't come away from ASD sold on Iowa. I left with a more favorable impression of the school overall, but I still wasn't convinced that Iowa is a good fit for me.

To be honest, although I've been touting my assuredness of Iowa + me, I am still really unsure. I liked the campus a lot more than MSU, but not as much as other schools I've visited. I'm mostly unsure about those RA positions - no one ever said definitively I would get one. What if I don't? Then I'm paying out the ass, one reason I'd be choosing Iowa over other options.

If you work your ass off and impress your profs, it sounds like you'll get one. Don't forget the TA jobs.
Aside from that, the campus is pretty visually lacking. There was a lot to do, and that was great, but it's... boring to look at, ugly even. And that work whistle? Ugh...

I liked a lot of the undergrad and med school buildings. Boyd needs to be knocked down and the evil spirits exorcised. The best (only good) parts of Boyd were the clinic and the library but they hyped the library so much that it was pretty unimpressive.

Assuming NYU finally gets off their ass and dings me, Iowa is the best fit for me.

crystalhawkeye

Postby crystalhawkeye » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:05 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:If you work your ass off and impress your profs, it sounds like you'll get one. Don't forget the TA jobs.
That assumes others won't do the same. It doesn't say anywhere that hard work/good impressions = RA position. Nothing guarantees it anywhere. It sounds all rosy and nice, but what of those few out-of-staters that get the shaft? They pay full-price, too bad, better luck next time? Sounds like it. Now I have no real reason for choosing it over several other mid-west schools.

And I'm not qualified to TA. I stopped majoring in music so I wouldn't have to teach. It'd have to be RA or bust for me.

NorseHawk

Postby NorseHawk » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:09 pm

It sorta sounds like you're just trying to talk yourself out of Iowa at this point. They can't guarantee the RA position, but from everyone I've talked to, the vast majority of out-of-staters who want one get it.

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:17 pm

NorseHawk wrote:It sorta sounds like you're just trying to talk yourself out of Iowa at this point. They can't guarantee the RA position, but from everyone I've talked to, the vast majority of out-of-staters who want one get it.

It sounds more like he's doing cost/benefit analysis but cynically.

crystalhawkeye

Postby crystalhawkeye » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:19 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
NorseHawk wrote:It sorta sounds like you're just trying to talk yourself out of Iowa at this point. They can't guarantee the RA position, but from everyone I've talked to, the vast majority of out-of-staters who want one get it.

Always.

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:25 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:If you work your ass off and impress your profs, it sounds like you'll get one. Don't forget the TA jobs.
That assumes others won't do the same. It doesn't say anywhere that hard work/good impressions = RA position. Nothing guarantees it anywhere. It sounds all rosy and nice, but what of those few out-of-staters that get the shaft? They pay full-price, too bad, better luck next time? Sounds like it. Now I have no real reason for choosing it over several other mid-west schools.

No, it assumes that you will be motivated to do it better than those few who don't get the jobs. The prof is the one who hires you so impressing the prof is likly sufficient. Plus you have a demonstrated aptitude for success in an academic setting. Granted law=/=undergrad but you have a good shot. You have to take a risk once in a while. There's no guarantees in life.
And I'm not qualified to TA. I stopped majoring in music so I wouldn't have to teach. It'd have to be RA or bust for me.

What are the qualifications for the TA jobs?

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:28 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:

Always.

A little cynicism is a good thing but you can over do it. You have every reason to believe you'll succeed well enough to get the RA job.

Anonymous0L

Postby Anonymous0L » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:47 pm

Can someone answer this question:

What else does Iowa have going for them aside from the USNWR ranking?

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:52 pm

Jwatson wrote:Can someone answer this question:

Great faculty and very loyal alumni.

hoosier1508

Postby hoosier1508 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:53 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:

Always.

A little cynicism is a good thing but you can over do it. You have every reason to believe you'll succeed well enough to get the RA job.

Personally, I think Crystal has his head in the right place. These generic "If you work hard" or "Have to believe you'll succeed" responses are rather pointless in trying to weigh the upside/downside of attending a particular school. You could just as easily use these rationales for telling him to attend MSU. It will be cheaper and if he works hard and finishes in the Top 10%, then his job prospects are actually quite good.

It seems that most law applicants dont give enough consideration to the risks when evaluating particular schools. Law school is very expensive, and at Iowa the difference between getting an RA position and not getting one is roughly 40k (2 years + cheaper health insurance). I actually think its good for Crystal to consider whether he would still attend Iowa if he were forced to pay out of state all 3 years. Because it is a possibility, maybe not likely, although it is difficult to gauge given Iowa's lack of disclosure on the # of people turned away from RA positions.

There is little to fear by giving the risks full consideration. If after weighing the positives/negatives Crystal decides to attend Iowa, then he can go forward knowing he wasn't making the decision blind. Law school is an expensive decision, we should be encouraging skepticism and people doing their due diligence about the schools, rather than some of the blind cheerleading of particular schools that exists in this thread and the board as a whole.

With that said, Crystal, good luck on your decision.

Anonymous0L

Postby Anonymous0L » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:53 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:

But isn't that at almost if not all Law schools?

Anonymous0L

Postby Anonymous0L » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:55 pm

hoosier1508 wrote:Personally, I think Crystal has his head in the right place. These generic "If you work hard" or "Have to believe you'll succeed" responses are rather pointless in trying to weigh the upside/downside of attending a particular school. You could just as easily use these rationales for telling him to attend MSU. It will be cheaper and if he works hard and finishes in the Top 10%, then his job prospects are actually quite good.

It seems that most law applicants dont give enough consideration to the risks when evaluating particular schools. Law school is very expensive, and at Iowa the difference between getting an RA position and not getting one is roughly 40k (2 years + cheaper health insurance). I actually think its good for Crystal to consider whether he would still attend Iowa if he were forced to pay out of state all 3 years. Because it is a possibility, maybe not likely, although it is difficult to gauge given Iowa's lack of disclosure on the # of people turned away from RA positions.

There is little to fear by giving the risks full consideration. If after weighing the positives/negatives Crystal decides to attend Iowa, then he can go forward knowing he wasn't making the decision blind. Law school is an expensive decision, we should be encouraging skepticism and people doing their due diligence about the schools, rather than some of the blind cheerleading of particular schools that exists in this thread and the board as a whole.

With Iowa, you should also expect to finish in the top 10% for good employment prospects.

hoosier1508

Postby hoosier1508 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:55 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:

+ location (for some), collegial atmosphere (aside from Westside).

What do other comparably ranked schools have going for them that Iowa doesn't?

Anonymous0L

Postby Anonymous0L » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:57 pm

hoosier1508 wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:

Location- probably for most if not all.
Employment Prospects- higher at comparatively ranked schools.
Specialization rankings- see USNWR specialization rankings
More diverse alumni networks
Newer facilities, Better weather.

jcwilsn1

Postby jcwilsn1 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Jwatson wrote:
hoosier1508 wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:

Location- probably for most if not all.
Employment Prospects- higher at comparatively ranked schools.
Specialization rankings- see USNWR specialization rankings
More diverse alumni networks
Newer facilities, Better weather.

really guy? stop trolling on Iowa threads. whats up with your vendetta?

hoosier1508

Postby hoosier1508 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Jwatson wrote:With Iowa, you should also expect to finish in the top 10% for good employment prospects.

Not true. Seriously, what is your problem?

Every comment is a pointless attack on Iowa. I'm all for a reasoned evaluation of schools, but you just come here to take shots at Iowa.

Anonymous0L

Postby Anonymous0L » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:00 pm

hoosier1508 wrote:
Jwatson wrote:With Iowa, you should also expect to finish in the top 10% for good employment prospects.

Every comment is a pointless attack on Iowa. I'm all for a reasoned evaluation of schools, but you just come here to take shots at Iowa.

Ok so what is your take on this? top 25%? top 50%?

jcwilsn1

Postby jcwilsn1 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:01 pm

Jwatson wrote:
hoosier1508 wrote:

Ok so what is your take on this? top 25%? top 50%?

No. Answer the question. what is your problem? rejected at Iowa? alumni thats having trouble finding a job?

Anonymous0L

Postby Anonymous0L » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:01 pm

jcwilsn1 wrote:really guy? stop trolling on Iowa threads. whats up with your vendetta?

Ok so you think Iowa has it all? Fair, that's your opinion.

jcwilsn1

Postby jcwilsn1 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:02 pm

Jwatson wrote:
jcwilsn1 wrote:really guy? stop trolling on Iowa threads. whats up with your vendetta?

No. answer the question. You keep making comments and remarks with no basis in reality and then quickly change the subject.

Anonymous0L

Postby Anonymous0L » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:04 pm

jcwilsn1 wrote:
Jwatson wrote:

No. answer the question. You keep making comments and remarks with no basis in reality and then quickly change the subject.

I refuse to answer to your request. For one you didn't even apply to Iowa. Why are you even posting in this thread?

jcwilsn1

Postby jcwilsn1 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:06 pm

Jwatson wrote:
jcwilsn1 wrote:
Jwatson wrote:

I refuse to answer to your request. For one you didn't even apply to Iowa. Why are you even posting in this thread?

Because a guy being blatantly ridiculous over and over again thread after thread is getting annoying. Are you saying you applied to a school that you absolutely hate? or that you applied and got rejected and now you hate it? aww thats cute.

Anonymous0L

Postby Anonymous0L » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:07 pm

jcwilsn1 wrote:Because a guy being blatantly ridiculous over and over again thread after thread is getting annoying. Are you saying you applied to a school that you absolutely hate? or that you applied and got rejected and now you hate it? aww thats cute.

Yawn.

hoosier1508

Postby hoosier1508 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:07 pm

Jwatson wrote:
jcwilsn1 wrote:
Jwatson wrote:

Why are you? He's exactly right. You're a fraud, for one, I don't believe you applied to Iowa. If you have such irrational dislike for Iowa then why apply?

Secondly, nobody is claiming that Iowa "has it all". It's a good school, nobody is claiming that it rivals Harvard.

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:30 pm

hoosier1508 wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:It sounds more like he's doing cost/benefit analysis but cynically.

Always.

Personally, I think Crystal has his head in the right place. These generic "If you work hard" or "Have to believe you'll succeed" responses are rather pointless in trying to weigh the upside/downside of attending a particular school. You could just as easily use these rationales for telling him to attend MSU. It will be cheaper and if he works hard and finishes in the Top 10%, then his job prospects are actually quite good.

For one thing, Crystal is not balancing the upsides and downsides of Iowa. He's already done that. He's trying to assess the likelihood of getting an RA position. I think Crystal is giving too much weight to the possibility of not finding an RA job. The vast majority gets an RA job if they want it. Everyone at ASD said this. Crystal only needs to beat out those few students who neither qualify nor impress a prof. There is no reason to believe Crystal can't do this. He has a 3.9ish GPA in UG.

Crystal, if you think you can't do it, you're probably right but MSU leaves you stuck in Michigan for the next decade if not longer.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”