IN at University of Iowa

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rainmaker614

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby rainmaker614 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:41 pm

Jwatson wrote:
scott82 wrote:
Jwatson wrote:Geographical diversity also surely doesn't exist as much in Iowa with its extremely limited alumni base stretching only a few states (most are in the mid-west).

Source?

Wikipedia is up, I also quoted the wikipedia post in the previous pages. They don't even have any alums in Michigan. :shock:

Yet I've been in correspondence with several Iowa alums in Michigan? A quick 10 second internet search pulled up the following Michigan alumni at Dickinson Wright (Michigan Big Law firm), who recruits at Iowa every year and always hires grads:

J.D. (with distinction), University of Iowa College of Law, 1983
Daniel F. Gosch
dgosch@dickinsonwright.com Grand Rapids
J.D. (with distinction), University of Iowa College of Law, 1999
John M. Perkins
Associate
jperkins@dickinsonwright.com Detroit
J.D. (with high distinction), University of Iowa Law School, 1997
Rick A. Haberman
rhaberman@dickinsonwright.com Detroit

Again, that was only after a 10 second search. And according to their website (a better source than your Wikipedia?) there are more than 70 alumni in Michigan, as well as in Cali, DC, NY, Texas, Florida, etc (20 states total with more than 70). Link: http://www.law.uiowa.edu/careers/stats-alumni.php

Anyways...

Anonymous0L

Postby Anonymous0L » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:43 pm

rainmaker614 wrote:
Jwatson wrote:
scott82 wrote:
Jwatson wrote:Geographical diversity also surely doesn't exist as much in Iowa with its extremely limited alumni base stretching only a few states (most are in the mid-west).

Source?

Wikipedia is up, I also quoted the wikipedia post in the previous pages. They don't even have any alums in Michigan. :shock:

Yet I've been in correspondence with several Iowa alums in Michigan? A quick 10 second internet search pulled up the following Michigan alumni at Dickinson Wright (Michigan Big Law firm), who recruits at Iowa every year and always hires grads:

J.D. (with distinction), University of Iowa College of Law, 1983
Daniel F. Gosch
dgosch@dickinsonwright.com Grand Rapids
J.D. (with distinction), University of Iowa College of Law, 1999
John M. Perkins
Associate
jperkins@dickinsonwright.com Detroit
J.D. (with high distinction), University of Iowa Law School, 1997
Rick A. Haberman
rhaberman@dickinsonwright.com Detroit

Again, that was only after a 10 second search. And according to their website (a better source than your Wikipedia?) there are more than 70 alumni in Michigan, as well as in Cali, DC, NY, Texas, Florida, etc (20 states total with more than 70). Link: http://www.law.uiowa.edu/careers/stats-alumni.php

Anyways...

Mmm ok, got it.

pomona

Postby pomona » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:47 pm

Jwatson wrote:
Recruit =/= Hire, those are the states mainly alums found opportunities. Surely there are stragglers in the other states. But also where's NY or DC?

The stat on their website says that 51% are Iowa residents and of the 2008 incoming class, 47% were residents (http://www.law.uiowa.edu/community/stud ... umbers.php).

But I am talking about the student body, I am well aware of the incoming statistics. And I had this question: I thought at least 50% should be residents according to the Iowa legislature? What happened?

I also think its a pretty big stretch to call Iowa's alumni base "extremely limited." My understanding is that in addition to having a strong alumni base in midwestern states, Iowa also has large groups of alumni in California, Arizona, and Virginia.

Sure, those are the states I included in my earlier post.

Okay, so based on your list, how can you justify calling that "extremely limited"? And what's extra special to you about DC or NY?

Dean Byrd said that 45-46% would be cause for concern, but he can get away with 47% without any red flags.

I doubt firms would be wasting their time recruiting at Iowa if they a) hadn't hired in the past and b) weren't very interested in hiring from Iowa in the future (traveling there isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world).

rainmaker614

Postby rainmaker614 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:49 pm

I said that was after a 10 second search. You're reading comprehension problems are almost as bad as your ignorance. I've spoken with 2 Iowa alums at Honigman Miller Shwartz and Cohn as well as one at Dickinson Wright, all of who have graduated in the past 5 years. Your original claim was that there were NO alum in Michigan, was it not? You were simply wrong, as usual. But enough of answering a troll...

Anonymous0L

Postby Anonymous0L » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:51 pm

After a quick search on Dickinson Wright, they do diversify their hires indeed.

L. Pahl Zinn
pzinn@dickinsonwright.com Detroit
J.D. (magna cum laude), Thomas M. Cooley Law School, 1996

Michelle Robbins Heikka
Associate
mheikka@dickinsonwright.com Detroit
J.D. (with distinction), Thomas M. Cooley Law School, 1987

H. Jonathan Redway
jredway@dickinsonwright.com Washington, D.C.
J.D. (with honors), Thomas M. Cooley Law School, 1986 - Law

Richard A. Wendt
rwendt@dickinsonwright.com Grand Rapids
J.D., (with distinction) Thomas M. Cooley Law School, 1992

scott82

Postby scott82 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:52 pm

Jwatson wrote:
scott82 wrote:

Source?

Wikipedia is up, I also quoted the wikipedia post in the previous pages.

Since when is wikipedia a source?

Anonymous0L

Postby Anonymous0L » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:55 pm

ok I'll stop now.

But I'll leave with this:

Jason Fernandez never expected to be delivering flowers six months after he graduated from law school. But there he was - a graduate of the top-tier University of Iowa College of Law - navigating Washington, D.C., streets to deliver bouquets at $8 a pop.

Whitty

Postby Whitty » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:04 pm

Jwatson wrote:ok I'll stop now.

Jason Fernandez never expected to be delivering flowers six months after he graduated from law school. But there he was - a graduate of the top-tier University of Iowa College of Law - navigating Washington, D.C., streets to deliver bouquets at $8 a pop.

:evil:

scott82

Postby scott82 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:05 pm

Nothing new; perhaps Jason Fernandez jumped in without looking. Although, the article continues:

Fernandez , 26, settled for a $40,000-a-year job without benefits in November 2006, six months after he earned his law degree at the U of I. Four months later, he found a better job with a Washington law firm, Greenberg & Bederman, and now specializes in personal injury law .

"My salary now is fine," Fernandez said. "The difficult thing is when you compare it to what some of my peers are making. It seems like there are two groups: The group that makes an obscene amount of money and the group that doesn't."

I'm prepared to make 40k a year out of law school, if it comes to that. I've done the math; I can handle the debt.

pomona

Postby pomona » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:07 pm

Apparently you haven't been educated in the problems with reasoning by induction.

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:12 pm

Whitty wrote:

:evil:

Whiteh has a lol poster for every occasion.

Whitty

Postby Whitty » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:15 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:Whiteh has a lol poster for every occasion.

True story. I was there. :shock:

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:18 pm

Whitty wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:Whiteh has a lol poster for every occasion.

True story. I was there. :shock:

Edit: fail.
Last edited by mikeytwoshoes on Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawguru

Postby Lawguru » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:50 pm

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:44 pm

Vault's Buzz on Iowa:
# "Terrific young people. Feet on the ground"

# "Produces some great attorneys."

# "Several successful lawyers at our office are graduates"

# "Grounded, hard working students"

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:39 pm

More photographs from ASD:
Old Capitol:

The bad part of being at a Big Ten school:

The gelato at the coffee shop that Crystal forgot to visit.

coolkatz321

Postby coolkatz321 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:41 pm

Looks like you guys got screwed by the weather while you were there :lol:

I'm hoping this doesn't happen at any of my visits this week.

hoosier1508

Postby hoosier1508 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:45 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:Looks like you guys got screwed by the weather while you were there :lol:

Where you headed?

coolkatz321

Postby coolkatz321 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:46 pm

hoosier1508 wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:Looks like you guys got screwed by the weather while you were there :lol:

Where you headed?

Cincy, UIUC, Wisconsin...looks like it'll be cold, but clear skies

hoosier1508

Postby hoosier1508 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:52 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:
hoosier1508 wrote:

Where you headed?

Looking forward to the exciting drive I bet. 74 and 39 are pretty boring roads. Not a lot of traffic though.

coolkatz321

Postby coolkatz321 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:54 pm

hoosier1508 wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:
hoosier1508 wrote:

Where you headed?

Looking forward to the exciting drive I bet. 74 and 39 are pretty boring roads. Not a lot of traffic though.

Can't wait, lol. Flying into Cincinnati tomorrow and then doing the car rental thing to all 3 schools. I'll be armed with a GPS in one hand and a camera in the other, so I'll have plenty of pics from the campuses when I return.

crystalhawkeye

Postby crystalhawkeye » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:00 am

Just coming home. Weather was warm and sunny on Thursday night and Friday all day.

Take lots of pics on Cincy for me! I'm probably not headed there, but I'm curious to see what I'd be missing.

coolkatz321

Postby coolkatz321 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:03 am

crystalhawkeye wrote:

Just coming home. Weather was warm and sunny on Thursday night and Friday all day.

Take lots of pics on Cincy for me! I'm probably not headed there, but I'm curious to see what I'd be missing.

Will do! Weather should be sunny in the afternoon on Wednesday, but when I arrive tomorrow... it's going to be 76 degrees. :shock:

I'll try to get a bunch of pictures of the main campus, too...looks really nice.

scott82

Postby scott82 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:02 pm

Rainmaker asked me why one should not rent from Apartments Downtown, and I thought I'd post my reply for others to consider. Forthwith:

Well, I suppose that if there is a property you are hell bent on renting, it would not be impractical to rent from AUR (The corporate entity that encompasses both Apartments Downtown and Apartments Near Campus is called Associated University Realty; they go by a number of names and have been known to change it up when their current name develops too horrible a reputation).

Most rental companies in this town have at least a slight predatory streak, owing to the fact that since it's a college town, they can set whatever bullshit stipulations they want and students HAVE to rent from them. We don't have the luxury of going elsewhere for housing, nor do we have the clout to demand changes in a rental agreement. If one potential tenant is too demanding, there are ten more lined up ready to sign their lives away.

AUR is the 800 pound gorilla in the IC rental market though, and it takes the predatory practice to a whole new level. For one, the way they advertise is classic bait and switch. A 2 bedroom apartment for $600? Sounds great, till you get in the office and they tack on $35 a month for the wood floors, $50 a month for a shitty cable package, $170 a month for a utilities package and anywhere from $25 to $100 a month for parking.

When I rented from them, their maintenance was relatively prompt, but I have heard horror stories about how they showed up unannounced and walked right in, in one case when the tenant was in the shower. I never had to pay for any maintenance they did on my place while I was living there, but if for some reason you do, I don't know if you would be getting a fair price. Reason being, the company they use for maintenance (Iowa City Maintenance) is owned by them, which means they can charge whatever they damn well please and there is very little oversight. They own so much property the conditions range from brand new to totally decrepit, and the decrepit units don't get adequate attention; they are currently being sued by three former tenants who were standing on the fire escape outside their window when the whole thing fell off the side of the building and they all hit pavement from 30 feet up.

But here is my REAL problem with them: They steal rental deposits, because the law makes it more profitable for them to do so than face the potential consequences.

The way they do this is with a clause in their lease that reads:

Tenants understand the rental unit in its entirety must be cleaned to an "A" standard according to the landlord at the expiration of the lease to avoid a minimum per hour charge of $25 per person (8-10 people on a cleaning crew) plus a $25 service charge per apartment

Buried in three pages of legalese that doesn't really stand out. But do the math: That's $200 to $250 per hour for cleaning. Professional maid services charge $75 per hour, and they are doing it for profit. Landlords are not allowed to profit from rental deposits. And it gets worse: their cleaning crews are employees of their maintenance companies, and are issued a form where they fill in "time began", "time finished" and then instructed to "round up to the nearest 15 minutes" when calculating time spent cleaning a unit. So, even if they spend 5 minutes cleaning a unit, from 12:00 to 12:05, you get billed for the time till 12:15, which at their rate of $3.25 a minute costs you 32 bucks for work they didn't do and you didn't need. I'd be willing to bet that when they move to the next unit, they are double billing too, unless they just hang out till the clock hits 12:15.

The reason they do this is simple: Iowa landlord-tenant law limits damages for bad faith retention of the rental deposit to the return of the deposit plus $200. College kids are more or less naive, apathetic, or just too busy to recover this money, and AUR knows it. They get sued every year by a handful of tenants who won't put up with their shit (myself included) but the money they keep far outweighs that which they have to return.

So, in summation, if you do decide to rent from them, and you are a good tenant (you know if you are) make sure you document, via writing and photographs, every single nail hole, paint chip, carpet stain, and any other damage that exists when you move in. And, when you move out, BE THERE for the move out inspection, make the inspector state explicitly if your unit meets the "A" standard mentioned in the lease, and if so, have him sign something to that effect. Again, take pictures of the condition of your place on move-out. I did most of this stuff (I regretfully did not take pictures) and it came in handy when AUR retained $150 of my rental deposit for (30 minutes) of "cleaning charges" even after their inspector told me the day before that my apartment was "the cleanest place I've ever seen". It took six months and a small claims case, but I got it back, plus court costs.

So, caveat emptor. These people are unscrupulous, but you can beat them if you know what you are doing. Good luck.

crystalhawkeye

Postby crystalhawkeye » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:50 pm

Damn, scott, I like your meticulousness! So the lesson here is, if you can, rent elsewhere? I've seen a lot that I like in the Barker Apartments link sent awhile ago.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”