IN at University of Iowa

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mikeytwoshoes

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:41 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:Damn, rm, you had a nice room, ha! Not that I wasn't there, but it's nice to see the pictures, too. Thanks!

They made me home sick for Iowa.

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:41 pm

How set is everyone on attending Iowa? I'm thinking of signing a lease. I'm at approximately 87.34%. :mrgreen:

Roseland

Postby Roseland » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:49 pm

Attended Iowa admitted students days.
Highlights:
Yuppie downtown area.(20 minutes to find a parking spot. Parking garages near by.)
Big Ten School with Big Ten feel.
River Town dominated by University of Iowa.
Hilly and trees.
Med School near Law School.
LOTS of apartments.
LOTS of Preschools near Law School=lots of married folks in med school and law school in the area?
Town seems like support staff for University of Iowa.
Dean's statistics about % of required Iowa students and diminishing applicant pool predicts downward rankings for Iowa.
Top three students last year poached by other law schools.
Nice people all the way around.
Diversity? Forget about it.
2Ls and 3Ls presenting were impressive.
Law School bookstore seemed like a storage closet. They don't take credit cards, cash or checks only.
Article in local newspaper warning about police harassment and explaining students' rights in not allowing entry to apartments.
Article in local newspaper about landlords gouging students ($15 per light bulb) etc.
A car would be nice in this town. Nice parking lot in walking distance to Law School.
Most apartments come with a parking space, some had no place for guests to park.
East side = undergrad apartments
West side = graduate apartments
Public bus system seemed good.[http://s577.photobucket.com/albums/ss218/Roseland_photos/]

Lawguru

Postby Lawguru » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:18 pm

Roseland wrote:Attended Iowa admitted students days.
Highlights:
Yuppie downtown area.(20 minutes to find a parking spot. Parking garages near by.)
Hilly and trees.
LOTS of apartments.
LOTS of Preschools near Law School=lots of married folks in med school and law school in the area?
Dean's statistics about % of required Iowa students and diminishing applicant pool predicts downward rankings for Iowa.
Law School bookstore seemed like a storage closet. They don't take credit cards, cash or checks only.
Article in local newspaper warning about police harassment and explaining students' rights in not allowing entry to apartments.
Article in local newspaper about landlords gouging students ($15 per light bulb) etc.
A car would be nice in this town. Nice parking lot in walking distance to Law School.
Most apartments come with a parking space, some had no place for guests to park.
Public bus system seemed good.[http://s577.photobucket.com/albums/ss218/Roseland_photos/]

I don't agree with all of this (some of the assertions), but I appreciate the nice summary. Thanks!

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:23 pm

Roseland wrote:Attended Iowa admitted students days.
Highlights:
Hilly and trees.
LOTS of apartments.

Actually, there are some great apartments above the Vetro that management won't rent to undergrads. They're more expensive, yes. Seeing as how I can't drive, the convenience is attractive to me.

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:47 pm

I loved our mock class. Professor Porter was badass. Check her out.

http://www.law.uiowa.edu/faculty/katie-porter.php

--ImageRemoved--

Katherine M. Porter
Associate Professor
katie-porter@uiowa.edu
319-335-7490
431 Boyd Law Building

BA, Yale University, cum laude, 1996
JD, Harvard Law School, magna cum laude, 2001

C.V. (23KB PDF*)
Blog
Articles
Mortgage Study Web Site

Professor Katherine Porter joined the College of Law faculty in 2005. In the prior year, she was a Visiting Associate Professor at the William S. Boyd School of Law, University of Nevada—Las Vegas. She earned her B.A. in American Studies from Yale University and her J.D. from Harvard Law School. While in law school, she served as Project Director of Phase III of the Consumer Bankruptcy Project, a national, longitudinal study of consumer debtors that involved over a dozen principal investigators. In 2004, she served as Project Director of the Business Bankruptcy Project Update, which collected data on business reorganization cases. Upon graduation, she served as a law clerk to the Honorable Richard Arnold of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eight Circuit. She then worked as an associate at Stoel Rives LLP in Portland, Oregon, where she practiced with the firm’s bankruptcy and creditors’ rights group.

Professor Porter conducts empirical research on consumer and commercial laws. Her current research examines mortgage claims in consumer bankruptcies and is funded by the National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges’ Endowment for Education. She is a principal investigator in a new study of consumer bankruptcy that will begin in 2007, the Consumer Bankruptcy Project IV. Her recent publications include Going Broke the Hard Way: The Economics of Rural Failure (Wisconsin Law Review 2005), The Failure of Bankruptcy’s Fresh Start (Cornell Law Review 2006), and The Bright Side of BAPCPA (Missouri Law Review 2006).

She teaches bankruptcy, commercial law, and consumer law and accepts press inquiries in these fields. Particular areas of interest to her are rural financial hardship, mortgage consumer protection laws, and predatory or high-yield lending.

The best point in the mock class was when someone tried to tie positive law contracts to the abstract social contract made for mutual advantage.

Porter really was awesome though. She had so much energy, running up the stairs in the auditorium and pacing back and forth. However, I was slightly offput by her assertion that she had been a star everywhere else and just a face in the crowd at Iowa. She’s clearly a rock star at Iowa too. Just another face in the crowd doesn’t merit being chosen to sell the school to a bunch of 0Ls at 33K/year non-res.

Check out her website: http://www.creditslips.org/

Lawguru

Postby Lawguru » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:00 am

Did someone just delete a post? What just happened? Did J get kicked out of the thread finally!?

coolkatz321

Postby coolkatz321 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:04 am

Maybe you guys can shed some light on this...how was the class run? I'll be observing three classes next week (yeah, kinda nervous still), but I think it'd be cool to know how the mock one was run for the prospective students.

Lawguru

Postby Lawguru » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:06 am

coolkatz321 wrote:Maybe you guys can shed some light on this...how was the class run? I'll be observing three classes next week (yeah, kinda nervous still), but I think it'd be cool to know how the mock one was run for the prospective students.

Very participation based. She essentially used students to make her points for her, and then she expounded from that. I think you'll find (and she discussed this) that no one professor at Iowa teaches the same way. I sat in on an evidence class a couple months ago, and it was completely different from porter, but still terrific.

coolkatz321

Postby coolkatz321 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:10 am

Lawguru wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:Maybe you guys can shed some light on this...how was the class run? I'll be observing three classes next week (yeah, kinda nervous still), but I think it'd be cool to know how the mock one was run for the prospective students.

Very participation based. She essentially used students to make her points for her, and then she expounded from that. I think you'll find (and she discussed this) that no one professor at Iowa teaches the same way. I sat in on an evidence class a couple months ago, and it was completely different from porter, but still terrific.

What exactly was the class on? And, did you find that you had to be knowledgeable on the subject?

Lawguru

Postby Lawguru » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:16 am

coolkatz321 wrote:
Lawguru wrote:

What exactly was the class on? And, did you find that you had to be knowledgeable on the subject?

It was based on the case Discover Bank v. Owens. A pretty damn interesting case on credit card contracts.

If you participated in class like I did at Iowa before the mock class, you'll be sitting in. You're not going to be participating any.

scott82

Postby scott82 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:31 am

Roseland wrote:Diversity? Forget about it.

How do you figure?

pomona

Postby pomona » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:07 pm

scott82 wrote:

How do you figure?

Yeah I don't really agree with Roseland about this either...in talking to people, I found that there was quite a bit of diversity (in the broad sense of the term - there were people with a very wide variety of life experiences and viewpoints) and a decent amount of racial diversity (assuming that's what Roseland means). I'm not sure what the "optimal" amount is, but it definitely wasn't just a bunch of white people from Iowa.

scott82

Postby scott82 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:20 pm

I was just curious because "diversity" is pretty much just a buzzword that anyone can claim without specificity. Conversely, it can be claimed to be lacking without specificity. I was grateful that I didn't hear the word "diverse" even once during the ASD; until "diversity" is defined, the attitude of an institution speaks much louder than the word itself. And I found the attitude to be welcoming.

isustudent

Postby isustudent » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:14 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:How set is everyone on attending Iowa? I'm thinking of signing a lease. I'm at approximately 87.34%. :mrgreen:

I'm interested in this too. I know the apartment I want, but am still nervous. When is everyone hoping to sign a lease?

Anonymous0L

Postby Anonymous0L » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:16 pm

pomona wrote:
scott82 wrote:

How do you figure?

Yeah I don't really agree with Roseland about this either...in talking to people, I found that there was quite a bit of diversity (in the broad sense of the term - there were people with a very wide variety of life experiences and viewpoints) and a decent amount of racial diversity (assuming that's what Roseland means). I'm not sure what the "optimal" amount is, but it definitely wasn't just a bunch of white people from Iowa.

I believe roseland is referring to the most common usage of "Diversity": the racial and ethnic diversity. Keep in mind that 51%-53% (as posted on Iowa's site) of the whole student body are from Iowa. Geographical diversity also surely doesn't exist as much in Iowa with its extremely limited alumni base stretching only a few states (most are in the mid-west).

scott82

Postby scott82 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:20 pm

Jwatson wrote:Geographical diversity also surely doesn't exist as much in Iowa with its extremely limited alumni base stretching only a few states (most are in the mid-west).

Source?

Anonymous0L

Postby Anonymous0L » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:22 pm

scott82 wrote:
Jwatson wrote:Geographical diversity also surely doesn't exist as much in Iowa with its extremely limited alumni base stretching only a few states (most are in the mid-west).

Source?

Wikipedia is up, I also quoted the wikipedia post in the previous pages.
Last edited by Anonymous0L on Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous0L

Postby Anonymous0L » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:23 pm

Jwatson wrote:After 144 years of operation,

Iowa has a whooping 9,000 Alums in
Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Minnesota, Missouri, Texas, Wisconsin, and Virginia.

:roll:

Here it is.

isustudent

Postby isustudent » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:25 pm

Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Minnesota, Missouri, Texas, Wisconsin, and Virginia.

So who is going to be a first alum from another state to Iowa? Crystal? Crystal?

I think you should read more carefully. And also quit saying false information over and over.

The College has more than 9,000 alumni. Forty percent of our alumni practice in the state of Iowa. Other top states for graduates include: Illinois, Minnesota, California, Arizona, Texas, Colorado, Missouri, Florida, Wisconsin, and Virginia.

Notice how it says TOP states, not only states.

Anonymous0L

Postby Anonymous0L » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:28 pm

isustudent wrote:

So who is going to be a first alum from another state to Iowa? Crystal? Crystal?

I think you should read more carefully. And also quit saying false information over and over.

The College has more than 9,000 alumni. Forty percent of our alumni practice in the state of Iowa. Other top states for graduates include: Illinois, Minnesota, California, Arizona, Texas, Colorado, Missouri, Florida, Wisconsin, and Virginia.

Notice how it says TOP states, not only states.

What I am trying to say here is that Iowa LACKS geographic diversity and I think I made my point. For one, where's DC or NY?

isustudent

Postby isustudent » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:30 pm

No, you were trying to make it sound like that was the only places Iowa alums work. And after looking for about 30 seconds, I found one firm from Michigan that recruits in Iowa.

pomona

Postby pomona » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:32 pm

Jwatson wrote:
pomona wrote:
scott82 wrote:

How do you figure?

I believe roseland is referring to the most common usage of "Diversity": the racial and ethnic diversity. Keep in mind that 51%-53% (as posted on Iowa's site) of the whole student body are from Iowa. Geographical diversity also surely doesn't exist as much in Iowa with its extremely limited alumni base stretching only a few states (most are in the mid-west).

The stat on their website says that 51% are Iowa residents and of the 2008 incoming class, 47% were residents (http://www.law.uiowa.edu/community/stud ... umbers.php).

I also think its a pretty big stretch to call Iowa's alumni base "extremely limited." My understanding is that in addition to having a strong alumni base in midwestern states, Iowa also has large groups of alumni in California, Arizona, and Virginia.

Furthermore, because most Iowa alums stay in the midwest after graduation does not mean that most of their alums are originally from the midwest.

Anonymous0L

Postby Anonymous0L » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:34 pm

isustudent wrote:No, you were trying to make it sound like that was the only places Iowa alums work. And after looking for about 30 seconds, I found one firm from Michigan that recruits in Iowa.

Recruit =/= Hire, those are the states mainly alums found opportunities. Surely there are stragglers in the other states. But also where's NY or DC?

The stat on their website says that 51% are Iowa residents and of the 2008 incoming class, 47% were residents (http://www.law.uiowa.edu/community/stud ... umbers.php).

But I am talking about the student body, I am well aware of the incoming statistics. And I had this question: I thought at least 50% should be residents according to the Iowa legislature? What happened?

I also think its a pretty big stretch to call Iowa's alumni base "extremely limited." My understanding is that in addition to having a strong alumni base in midwestern states, Iowa also has large groups of alumni in California, Arizona, and Virginia.

Sure, those are the states I included in my earlier post.
Last edited by Anonymous0L on Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

isustudent

Postby isustudent » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:40 pm

Last edited by isustudent on Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”