IN at University of Iowa Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
New Madrid

New

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Post by New Madrid » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:47 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
New Madrid wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:Overall, I think I feel even more excited about going to Iowa, as well. Even Downtown was really awesome (although very saturated with UGs). The 2/3L carrells, the library, and especially all the faculty (Dean Byrd was awesome) all are going to make saying "No, thanks" to MSU's scholly that much easier.

Also, it was great to meet so many TLSers there, too. Good to see you guys!
Likewise. I'm actually still there (in I.C.) looking around at some places to live.
Did you try the blood orange sorbet?
Yup, see above. I think we chatted at the counter, no?

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:59 pm

New Madrid wrote:
Lawguru wrote:Well,
I hope our 1L class isn't going to be as cut throat as this board. I am looking forward to being classmates with you all. :D
That was a big part of it for me. I can't stand the hypercompetitive stuff. I really got the feeling that mutual respect generally prevails at Iowa, and that it seems to work out for most people in the end (ie. they get good jobs in the field). The best of both worlds, IMO.
I didn't feel like there was single unintelligent answer in out mock class. Everyone seemed to be dead on. I was slightly impressed w/ how much people knew about bankruptcy law as 0Ls haha.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:14 pm

Lawguru wrote:
New Madrid wrote:
I hope our 1L class isn't going to be as cut throat as this board. I am looking forward to being classmates with you all. :D
That was a big part of it for me. I can't stand the hypercompetitive stuff. I really got the feeling that mutual respect generally prevails at Iowa, and that it seems to work out for most people in the end (ie. they get good jobs in the field). The best of both worlds, IMO.
I didn't feel like there was single unintelligent answer in out mock class. Everyone seemed to be dead on. I was slightly impressed w/ how much people knew about bankruptcy law as 0Ls haha.
Oh, you were there, guru? I think you might be the only TLSer there I didn't see/meet.

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:16 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
Lawguru wrote:
New Madrid wrote:
Oh, you were there, guru? I think you might be the only TLSer there I didn't see/meet.
Yeah I was there. I didn't meet you, but I definitely stood RIGHT next to you in the bathroom line. I remember you from the picture. I was going to introduce myself, but then you disappeared. You'd probs remember me if you saw me.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:19 pm

Lawguru wrote: Yeah I was there. I didn't meet you, but I definitely stood RIGHT next to you in the bathroom line. I remember you from the picture. I was going to introduce myself, but then you disappeared. You'd probs remember me if you saw me.
Ha, yeah everyone recognized me. Although that bathroom line comment makes it sound like we had some odd happenings at ASW :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:23 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
Lawguru wrote: Yeah I was there. I didn't meet you, but I definitely stood RIGHT next to you in the bathroom line. I remember you from the picture. I was going to introduce myself, but then you disappeared. You'd probs remember me if you saw me.
Ha, yeah everyone recognized me. Although that bathroom line comment makes it sound like we had some odd happenings at ASW :shock:
Well...we did. The bathroom freaking flooded, haha.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:25 pm

Lawguru wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:
"Well, that's it. I'm not coming here."

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:26 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
Lawguru wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:
Did I say that?

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:35 pm

Lawguru wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:
Lawguru wrote: Well...we did. The bathroom freaking flooded, haha.
Did I say that?
Someone did. And it was perfectly timed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:38 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
Lawguru wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:
Lawguru wrote: Well...we did. The bathroom freaking flooded, haha.
Did I say that?
Someone did. And it was perfectly timed.
Actually, I'm almost certain it was me who said it, haha. I mean I know I said that, and you were right ahead of me in the line, so odds are...it was me.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:56 pm

This conversation between you two is creeping me out. Are you both stall talkers? Or, better yet, urinal-to-stall talkers?

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:06 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:This conversation between you two is creeping me out. Are you both stall talkers? Or, better yet, urinal-to-stall talkers?
Yeah, that's why I stopped responding, heh. It was getting odd. What happneed was ater the first part of the ASD, they took a break and everyone, full of coffee, flooded to the one bathroom. Well, there was a line so a few of us chatted briefly. During this, one of the urinals flooded and those of us waiting commented on the water now seeping towards the open door. It was kind of funny, but the way we're talking here does make it sound as if we had 'in-house' conversations...

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:07 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:This conversation between you two is creeping me out. Are you both stall talkers? Or, better yet, urinal-to-stall talkers?
Yeah, that's why I stopped responding, heh. It was getting odd. What happneed was ater the first part of the ASD, they took a break and everyone, full of coffee, flooded to the one bathroom. Well, there was a line so a few of us chatted briefly. During this, one of the urinals flooded and those of us waiting commented on the water now seeping towards the open door. It was kind of funny, but the way we're talking here does make it sound as if we had 'in-house' conversations...
Crystal, you should ask guru for a picture so you can recognize him next time.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:25 pm

New topic:

Anyone else think that Collyns is a BAMF?

scott82

Bronze

Post by scott82 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:57 pm

Hmm... I didn't recognize anyone... but I wasn't really looking either. Anyhow, I'll see some of you in the fall. ASD sealed what I pretty much already knew; another 3 years at Iowa for me.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:59 pm

scott82 wrote:Hmm... I didn't recognize anyone... but I wasn't really looking either. Anyhow, I'll see some of you in the fall. ASD sealed what I pretty much already knew; another 3 years at Iowa for me.
Since you've already been around awhile I'll ask you this too: where is a less-expensive place to grocery shop aside from the Bread Market? That place was great, but I couldn't afford to shop there all the time.

scott82

Bronze

Post by scott82 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:05 pm

There is a Hy-Vee grocery store down on the highway. The New Pioneer Co-op is just east of downtown and has awesome selection of everything; if I can't find it anywhere else, I go to the co-op. It's $60 to join, but you get your money back when you resign your membership, and if you volunteer 10 hours a month there you get 30% off your groceries.

Aside from that, there is an Aldi's (discount grocery, I believe; never actually shopped there) right next to the Hy-Vee, and they are beginning construction soon on a Wal-Mart supercenter on the west edge of town.

Lastly, there's John's Grocery on Market st, the NE corner of downtown. They have virtually every single beer you have ever heard of.

All those places are cheaper than Bread Garden; given its location, I'm sure the mark-up is hefty.

Edit: Oh yeah, there is also a Fareway on Mormon Trek, west side of town.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:16 pm

Damn, awesome. I'm not a Wal-Mart fan, but that Hy-Vee and New Pioneer sound great. I've also heard they have Farmer's Market's when in season, and those are always awesome.

scott82

Bronze

Post by scott82 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:21 pm

Yeah, farmer's market runs April-October on Wednesday and Saturday mornings in the parking garage across from city hall. I'm a fan.

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:08 pm

Although not a Walmart fan, there actually was a (finished) Walmart over on the west side across from the Lodge apartments, close to the law school. Coralville had some good grocery stores from what I seen there. I spent most of my time in IC exploring both sides of the city and the areas to see where I would want to live and get an idea of the types of businesses in the immediate area (especially for food, shopping). I got a lot of info on where most of the grad students live, where would be a good place to live, not a good place to live, etc.

I'm putting up all the pics from the weekend now and will post once that gets up. Overall I was really impressed with the school and ASD. The students were absolutely awesome and I had the chance to go out at night with some law students and it was great to see what the nightlife was like there from their perspective (and to know that they actually make it out). The faculty was equally impressive, especially how they would go around introducing themselves to all of us, handing out business cards, talking about what they usually work on, etc. I'm completely sold on the school now and will be going there 99%. If anyone that didn't get to make it has any questions, just ask.

scott82

Bronze

Post by scott82 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:37 pm

rainmaker614 wrote:Although not a Walmart fan, there actually was a (finished) Walmart over on the west side across from the Lodge apartments, close to the law school.
They are tearing that down, along with adjacent buildings, to build the Supercenter. Not sure when, but Wal-Mart had a major battle with the city council and local residents over it, so now that they finally have approval, they are probably anxious to start.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:29 pm

Ah, I see. I have trouble distinguishing between the "supercenters", the "megacenters", the "neighborhood markets", and the regular Walmarts, lol.

Anyways, I uploaded some pics to a flickr site. Some are of the city, some of the hotel, some of the school, etc. There are a few pics that I took for a friend who asked for specific things so don't mind certain pics. There also should be a movie uploaded that is a panoramic view of the city from the balcony in the student lounge (look under sets if it doesn't appear on the page). Enjoy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36147875@N04/

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:33 pm

Ohhh pretty! Thanks rainmaker!!

stuffnuff

New

Post by stuffnuff » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:34 pm

rainmaker614 wrote:Ah, I see. I have trouble distinguishing between the "supercenters", the "megacenters", the "neighborhood markets", and the regular Walmarts, lol.

Anyways, I uploaded some pics to a flickr site. Some are of the city, some of the hotel, some of the school, etc. There are a few pics that I took for a friend who asked for specific things so don't mind certain pics. There also should be a movie uploaded that is a panoramic view of the city from the balcony in the student lounge (look under sets if it doesn't appear on the page). Enjoy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36147875@N04/
You are great. Thanks for the link.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:34 pm

Damn, rm, you had a nice room, ha! Not that I wasn't there, but it's nice to see the pictures, too. Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”