IN at University of Iowa

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NorseHawk
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:07 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby NorseHawk » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:11 pm

Lawguru wrote:We could carpool :-)



As much as I didn't want to reveal my secret identity earlier, that's actually a pretty good idea. I've gotta see what my class schedule looks like, but I'll get back to you on it.

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:15 pm

This site gives ratings for apartments. It's kind of nice since you get the tennant's opinion, not just an advertisement.
http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/IA-Iowa-City.html

Happy Hunting!

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:41 pm

Edit: fail :cry:

Second, although smaller attempt:

--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by mikeytwoshoes on Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
crystalhawkeye
Posts: 757
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:00 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby crystalhawkeye » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:42 pm

Hmmm... almost...

User avatar
Globetrekker
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:24 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby Globetrekker » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:46 pm

Still holding out for a nice scholarship offer from Iowa to see if they're going to hold any sway over me --- but I don't know how likely that is. I don't know if they're going to care much about keeping me or not; I guess I'll find out, eh? At least I'm down to two options now! ....except they're astronomically different from each other and I practically have to be bipolar in order to be objective right now. Hopefully money will fix that.

Fingers crossed.

pomona
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:54 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby pomona » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:23 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
Lawguru wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:On a different note, I'm looking for hotels/airfare to IC, and I apparently can get round-trip plus 2-nights in a hotel for well under $300. Think I'm going to take it. The hotel is in Coralville, about 5 miles from the Law School.

Question is, and this is for residents, really: How would I got about getting to the School from the hotel? Is there a shuttle/bus that goes all the way out to Coralville? If so, can I ride this without being a student/resident? Or should I get a rental car? What about from airport to hotel? Any suggestions?


Coralville is really pretty close to campus and the law school. I'm sure there is a shuttle that stops near the campus. If not, I'm sure there is a cambus some place around there as well.

Yeah it's not even 5 miles, apparently. The real problem now is that to get such a cheap flight, the flight could leave anywhere from 6am - 10pm. Getting there at 9 or so on Thursday would sort of defeat the purpose of reserving a spot at the reception. And I'd have to pay before I can see when the time would be. Lame.

I just checked rental car rates on expedia: $19/day.

User avatar
crystalhawkeye
Posts: 757
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:00 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby crystalhawkeye » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:24 pm

pomona wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:
Lawguru wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:On a different note, I'm looking for hotels/airfare to IC, and I apparently can get round-trip plus 2-nights in a hotel for well under $300. Think I'm going to take it. The hotel is in Coralville, about 5 miles from the Law School.

Question is, and this is for residents, really: How would I got about getting to the School from the hotel? Is there a shuttle/bus that goes all the way out to Coralville? If so, can I ride this without being a student/resident? Or should I get a rental car? What about from airport to hotel? Any suggestions?


Coralville is really pretty close to campus and the law school. I'm sure there is a shuttle that stops near the campus. If not, I'm sure there is a cambus some place around there as well.

Yeah it's not even 5 miles, apparently. The real problem now is that to get such a cheap flight, the flight could leave anywhere from 6am - 10pm. Getting there at 9 or so on Thursday would sort of defeat the purpose of reserving a spot at the reception. And I'd have to pay before I can see when the time would be. Lame.

I just checked rental car rates on expedia: $19/day.

I decided to drive. It'll only be about 7 hours, total of less than three tanks of gas. The total trip, including the hotel, will cost less than $250. Not too bad.

User avatar
New Madrid
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:20 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby New Madrid » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:57 pm

I'm driving too. Does anyone know about the parking situation at or near the law school?

rainmaker614
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:07 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby rainmaker614 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:23 pm

New Madrid wrote:I'm driving too. Does anyone know about the parking situation at or near the law school?


A little while ago I looked on one of the maps they sent me with the admissions letter and it showed a public parking lot real close to the school so no worries.

User avatar
scott82
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:26 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby scott82 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:33 am

rainmaker614 wrote:
New Madrid wrote:I'm driving too. Does anyone know about the parking situation at or near the law school?


A little while ago I looked on one of the maps they sent me with the admissions letter and it showed a public parking lot real close to the school so no worries.


Not sure which one that might be; This map is kind of misleading. Lot 3 is only open to students after 4:30; you get ticketed if you park in it before that without a permit. The blue lot across from the main library is metered parking, 2 hour max. Not sure about lot 6, but I imagine it's the same.

Your best bet is probably going to be the Capitol St ramp shown in this map. It's about 4-5 blocks from the law school, but parking on campus is pretty much non-existent for all day stuff, unless you use the parking ramps.

NorseHawk
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:07 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby NorseHawk » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:27 am

scott82 wrote:
rainmaker614 wrote:
New Madrid wrote:I'm driving too. Does anyone know about the parking situation at or near the law school?


A little while ago I looked on one of the maps they sent me with the admissions letter and it showed a public parking lot real close to the school so no worries.


Not sure which one that might be; This map is kind of misleading. Lot 3 is only open to students after 4:30; you get ticketed if you park in it before that without a permit. The blue lot across from the main library is metered parking, 2 hour max. Not sure about lot 6, but I imagine it's the same.

Your best bet is probably going to be the Capitol St ramp shown in this map. It's about 4-5 blocks from the law school, but parking on campus is pretty much non-existent for all day stuff, unless you use the parking ramps.


I think the Field House lot is open to the public, though it'll probably wind up costing 15 bucks. In general though, you're right that it's pretty hard to find places to park around campus. Particularly on the side of the river that the Law School is on, where most of the parking ramps are reserved for the gigantic U of I hospital that is slowly but surely taking over the entire city. One of the many reasons that the Cambus is awesome.

rainmaker614
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:07 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby rainmaker614 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:05 am

Can we ride cambus as non-students? I'll likely be staying at the hotel vetro so does cambus go from there to the law school? How far is that hotel from the school?

User avatar
scott82
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:26 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby scott82 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:20 am

rainmaker614 wrote:Can we ride cambus as non-students? I'll likely be staying at the hotel vetro so does cambus go from there to the law school? How far is that hotel from the school?


It's probably a 15-20 minute walk from Vetro to the law school. The Cambuses are free to the public, you don't have to be a student; Red Route picks up on the edge of the Pentacrest, just across the ped mall from Vetro and runs across the river right by the law school.

isustudent
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:11 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby isustudent » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:57 pm

So I just realized I can't go to the midnight showing of Watchmen bc of Iowa's ASW :(

User avatar
Lawguru
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby Lawguru » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:12 pm

isustudent wrote:So I just realized I can't go to the midnight showing of Watchmen bc of Iowa's ASW :(


We can all have a TLS showing together!

LShopeful1
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:15 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby LShopeful1 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:19 pm

Lawguru wrote:Who is all going to ASD??



I'm going! I'm flying into Cedar Rapids. Anyone know a cheap hotel that is close to the school? I gotta book the hotel!

I'm excited. I was born in the midwest but a Cali girl my entire life and now, I'm going back to my roots haha!

rainmaker614
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:07 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby rainmaker614 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:22 pm

scott82 wrote:
rainmaker614 wrote:Can we ride cambus as non-students? I'll likely be staying at the hotel vetro so does cambus go from there to the law school? How far is that hotel from the school?


It's probably a 15-20 minute walk from Vetro to the law school. The Cambuses are free to the public, you don't have to be a student; Red Route picks up on the edge of the Pentacrest, just across the ped mall from Vetro and runs across the river right by the law school.


Awesome. Thanks!

User avatar
scott82
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:26 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby scott82 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:22 pm

LShopeful1 wrote:
Lawguru wrote:Who is all going to ASD??



I'm going! I'm flying into Cedar Rapids. Anyone know a cheap hotel that is close to the school? I gotta book the hotel!

I'm excited. I was born in the midwest but a Cali girl my entire life and now, I'm going back to my roots haha!


Doesn't get much closer than the Iowa House (LinkRemoved); it's in the memorial union on campus.

rainmaker614
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:07 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby rainmaker614 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:27 pm

scott82 wrote:
LShopeful1 wrote:
Lawguru wrote:Who is all going to ASD??



I'm going! I'm flying into Cedar Rapids. Anyone know a cheap hotel that is close to the school? I gotta book the hotel!

I'm excited. I was born in the midwest but a Cali girl my entire life and now, I'm going back to my roots haha!


Doesn't get much closer than the Iowa House (LinkRemoved); it's in the memorial union on campus.


Kinda sucks that we don't get a discount there considering the hotel is owned by the University.

User avatar
New Madrid
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:20 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby New Madrid » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:28 pm

Indeed--that hotel looks nice. Too bad I already booked at the Baymont in Coralville. Well, at least we get a free hot breakfast--and it's cheap.

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:40 pm

rainmaker614 wrote:
scott82 wrote:
LShopeful1 wrote:
Lawguru wrote:Who is all going to ASD??



I'm going! I'm flying into Cedar Rapids. Anyone know a cheap hotel that is close to the school? I gotta book the hotel!

I'm excited. I was born in the midwest but a Cali girl my entire life and now, I'm going back to my roots haha!


Doesn't get much closer than the Iowa House (LinkRemoved); it's in the memorial union on campus.


Kinda sucks that we don't get a discount there considering the hotel is owned by the University.

FYI you get a sizable discount at Vetro if you are a AAA member.

rainmaker614
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:07 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby rainmaker614 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:43 pm

Does the person checking in have to be a AAA member or do you just need a card number (or whatever the required info is) for the discount?

User avatar
crystalhawkeye
Posts: 757
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:00 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby crystalhawkeye » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:48 pm

New Madrid wrote:Indeed--that hotel looks nice. Too bad I already booked at the Baymont in Coralville. Well, at least we get a free hot breakfast--and it's cheap.

Same here. We get breakfast at the ASD too, so I'll just take advantage of this one on Saturday.

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:30 pm

rainmaker614 wrote:Does the person checking in have to be a AAA member or do you just need a card number (or whatever the required info is) for the discount?

I think the person paying the bill must be a member.

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:04 pm

Would everyone going to the ASD please PM me? I have a request.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”