IN at University of Iowa

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hoosier1508

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby hoosier1508 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:22 pm

What is up with all the old people in those pictures?

Was it Senior's day at the law school?

Lawguru wrote:Who is all going to ASD??

I'm unfortunately unable to attend. Probably going to make a weekend visit here in the next month.
Last edited by hoosier1508 on Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jschuyler

Postby jschuyler » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:24 pm

hoosier1508 wrote:What is up with all the old people in those pictures?

Was it Senior's day at the law school?

I saw your post and was all set to defend what I assumed were some slightly older (late 20s) students, but then I looked at the pictures, and damn. Those people are literally old.

crystalhawkeye

Postby crystalhawkeye » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:31 pm

frotteur wrote:And I thought your comments were just playful ribbing...wrong?

Some have no sense of humor on anonymous internet forums :roll:
Lawguru wrote:Who is all going to ASD??

I'll be there. Just trying to figure out if I'm going to fly or drive...

rainmaker614

Postby rainmaker614 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:45 pm

theuserdylan wrote:Anybody know how much the estimated living expenses are at Iowa? I couldn't find anything on their website. Also would this be the same amount that you can take out in loans?

The Iowa website isn't that good and takes some getting used to in order to get substantive info out of it but after the past few weeks I am now a self proclaimed expert on the site lol. On the website it gives the costs/budget for students in 2008-9 and the living expenses budget is $13,870 which breaks down into:

Room and Board: 9630 (with $75 a week for food, this leaves you with $740 a month for an apartment and other house related payments)
Personal: 3360 (gives you $93 a week for personal expenses)
Transportation: 880 (I really hope you can walk everywhere in Iowa because $20 a week for gas isn't going to cut it, especially since I have a truck)
Total 13,870
+ 2,300 in books (WTF!!!!) I hope to god this number is wrong or they're over budgeting for us

Tuition and fees are at 34,684 for out of state and 17,916 for in state (2008-9). Now this next point may be important to all prospective students and i'm sorry I didn't point it out sooner:

My scholarship letter lists my out of state tuition grant for 2009-10 at $37,852. This is $3k more than it used to be (about 9%) and this would make resident tuition about $1,500 more too. It also lists the estimated Stafford loan I will be taking out to be $17,328 which means that the total budget for living expenses+books went up about $1,200 for next year (for a grand total of about $15,000 for living expenses). They list the same budget for the next two years and state that my resident tuition grant (since I got the RA position, I get in-state for 2L and 3L) will be for $20,146 for the 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 academic years. So it looks like tuition is being raised by a significant amount for all students.

Also, I'm not sure if those tuition prices (or my scholarship) includes the cost of "fees" which were $1,158 for 08-09. If not, tuition increased by more than what I stated above. Hope this helps everyone plan their finances accordingly and again, sorry I forgot to tell you guys sooner.

Oh.... and I'm going to ASW.

frotteur

Postby frotteur » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:49 pm

rainmaker614 wrote:
theuserdylan wrote:Anybody know how much the estimated living expenses are at Iowa? I couldn't find anything on their website. Also would this be the same amount that you can take out in loans?

The Iowa website isn't that good and takes some getting used to in order to get substantive info out of it but after the past few weeks I am now a self proclaimed expert on the site lol. On the website it gives the costs/budget for students in 2008-9 and the living expenses budget is $13,870 which breaks down into:

Room and Board: 9630 (with $75 a week for food, this leaves you with $740 a month for an apartment and other house related payments)
Transportation: 880 (I really hope you can walk everywhere in Iowa because $20 a week for gas isn't going to cut it, especially since I have a truck)
Total 13,870
+ 2,300 in books (WTF!!!!) I hope to god this number is wrong or they're over budgeting for us

Tuition and fees are at 34,684 for out of state and 17,916 for in state (2008-9). Now this next point may be important to all prospective students and i'm sorry I didn't point it out sooner:

My scholarship letter lists my out of state tuition grant for 2009-10 at $37,852. This is $3k more than it used to be (about 9%) and this would make resident tuition about $1,500 more too. It also lists the estimated Stafford loan I will be taking out to be $17,328 which means that the total budget for living expenses+books went up about $1,200 for next year (for a grand total of about $15,000 for living expenses). They list the same budget for the next two years and state that my resident tuition grant (since I got the RA position, I get in-state for 2L and 3L) will be for $20,146 for the 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 academic years. So it looks like tuition is being raised by a significant amount for all students.

Also, I'm not sure if those tuition prices (or my scholarship) includes the cost of "fees" which were $1,158 for 08-09. If not, tuition increased by more than what I stated above. Hope this helps everyone plan their finances accordingly and again, sorry I forgot to tell you guys sooner.

Great info, thanks.

crystalhawkeye

Postby crystalhawkeye » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:03 am

Thanks a lot, rain maker. I think some of those numbers are a bit inflated from what I am expecting, but they usually are. I'm hoping to get housing within biking/walking distance, so that would help me save on transportation.

I was expecting the tuition costs to go up, but those raises are brutual. Probably comparable to other schools, but it's still rough. I really hope I can get some aid now. Otherwise I'm going to be even more wary of going to a school for sticker price, even with how much I like Iowa.

frotteur

Postby frotteur » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:07 am

crystalhawkeye wrote:I was expecting the tuition costs to go up, but those raises are brutual. Probably comparable to other schools, but it's still rough. I really hope I can get some aid now. Otherwise I'm going to be even more wary of going to a school for sticker price, even with how much I like Iowa.

+1

hoosier1508

Postby hoosier1508 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:52 am

frotteur wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:I was expecting the tuition costs to go up, but those raises are brutual. Probably comparable to other schools, but it's still rough. I really hope I can get some aid now. Otherwise I'm going to be even more wary of going to a school for sticker price, even with how much I like Iowa.

+1

Yea, thats a bit ridiculous.

This is what always happens though. I believe Iowa had a 10% budget cut across the board this year. Obviously, Iowa Law wants to put the burden of making up for that shortfall on the students.

Law school tuition is already outrageous, and as long as prospective students are willing to pay anything to go to law school, it will only get worse. Iowa law is not worth 37k a year in tuition.

crystalhawkeye

Postby crystalhawkeye » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:43 pm

hoosier1508 wrote:This is what always happens though. I believe Iowa had a 10% budget cut across the board this year. Obviously, Iowa Law wants to put the burden of making up for that shortfall on the students.

Law school tuition is already outrageous, and as long as prospective students are willing to pay anything to go to law school, it will only get worse. Iowa law is not worth 37k a year in tuition.

Lucky us! Staring at $37K, if only for one year, is really quite horrible, even if employment porspects are pretty good (at least for where I want to work). Being able to get residency rates after 1L is great, and housing insn't really that bad, but I just recently added up what my approximate debt is going to be. Factoring in costs of living and my UG debt, I'll be staring at close to $120K in three years. Ugh... I knew I'd have a considerable amount, but... eeeeeeek. Iowa may be top-tier, but that number is staggering regardless. It'd be staggering if I were going to UofM!

Here's hoping that need-based aid goes beyond loans...

crystalhawkeye

Postby crystalhawkeye » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:01 pm

On a different note, I'm looking for hotels/airfare to IC, and I apparently can get round-trip plus 2-nights in a hotel for well under $300. Think I'm going to take it. The hotel is in Coralville, about 5 miles from the Law School.

Question is, and this is for residents, really: How would I got about getting to the School from the hotel? Is there a shuttle/bus that goes all the way out to Coralville? If so, can I ride this without being a student/resident? Or should I get a rental car? What about from airport to hotel? Any suggestions?

scott82

Postby scott82 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:03 pm

what airport are you landing at?

Edit: This website will let you put in your starting and ending points and they will email you telling you how to get there. I think they do Coralville in addition to IC.

http://www.icgov.org/default/apps/transit/tripmaker.asp
Last edited by scott82 on Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crystalhawkeye

Postby crystalhawkeye » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:05 pm

scott82 wrote:what airport are you landing at?

Cedar Rapids.

hoosier1508

Postby hoosier1508 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:37 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
hoosier1508 wrote:This is what always happens though. I believe Iowa had a 10% budget cut across the board this year. Obviously, Iowa Law wants to put the burden of making up for that shortfall on the students.

Lucky us! Staring at $37K, if only for one year, is really quite horrible, even if employment porspects are pretty good (at least for where I want to work). Being able to get residency rates after 1L is great, and housing insn't really that bad, but I just recently added up what my approximate debt is going to be. Factoring in costs of living and my UG debt, I'll be staring at close to $120K in three years. Ugh... I knew I'd have a considerable amount, but... eeeeeeek. Iowa may be top-tier, but that number is staggering regardless. It'd be staggering if I were going to UofM!

Here's hoping that need-based aid goes beyond loans...

Yea... my expected debt if I go to U of M is a bit frightening. I'm very much averse to taking on alot of debt, especially considering how tuition continues to climb at rates far exceeding starting salaries.

Lawguru

Postby Lawguru » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:01 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:On a different note, I'm looking for hotels/airfare to IC, and I apparently can get round-trip plus 2-nights in a hotel for well under $300. Think I'm going to take it. The hotel is in Coralville, about 5 miles from the Law School.

Question is, and this is for residents, really: How would I got about getting to the School from the hotel? Is there a shuttle/bus that goes all the way out to Coralville? If so, can I ride this without being a student/resident? Or should I get a rental car? What about from airport to hotel? Any suggestions?

Coralville is really pretty close to campus and the law school. I'm sure there is a shuttle that stops near the campus. If not, I'm sure there is a cambus some place around there as well.

crystalhawkeye

Postby crystalhawkeye » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:18 pm

Lawguru wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:On a different note, I'm looking for hotels/airfare to IC, and I apparently can get round-trip plus 2-nights in a hotel for well under $300. Think I'm going to take it. The hotel is in Coralville, about 5 miles from the Law School.

Coralville is really pretty close to campus and the law school. I'm sure there is a shuttle that stops near the campus. If not, I'm sure there is a cambus some place around there as well.

Yeah it's not even 5 miles, apparently. The real problem now is that to get such a cheap flight, the flight could leave anywhere from 6am - 10pm. Getting there at 9 or so on Thursday would sort of defeat the purpose of reserving a spot at the reception. And I'd have to pay before I can see when the time would be. Lame.

Lawguru

Postby Lawguru » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:56 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
Lawguru wrote:

Yeah it's not even 5 miles, apparently. The real problem now is that to get such a cheap flight, the flight could leave anywhere from 6am - 10pm. Getting there at 9 or so on Thursday would sort of defeat the purpose of reserving a spot at the reception. And I'd have to pay before I can see when the time would be. Lame.

Speaking of that, when are we supposed to RSVP? I can't remember. I think I lost my card.

New Madrid

Postby New Madrid » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:09 pm

rainmaker614 wrote:

Total 13,870

Thanks for this info, rainmaker! As someone who's strongly considering the school, but headed for government work, I'm not thrilled to hear this. This also makes me curious about what kinds of tuition increases schools like OSU and Wisconsin have planned.

rainmaker614

Postby rainmaker614 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:15 pm

In all honesty, every school that has offered me a scholarship and shows a budget, has increased their tuition. Now that I think of it I actually don't know of one school (out of the 40 I applied to) that for sure isn't changing tuition. Schools don't release their official student budget and tuition prices until the summer from what I've read. I think the award letter we'll get in the coming months is just a rough estimate. The cool thing about Iowa for those of you that get scholarships: they automatically adjust award amounts to make up for increases in tuition (says so in the letter).

New Madrid

Postby New Madrid » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:20 pm

rainmaker614 wrote:The cool thing about Iowa for those of you that get scholarships: they automatically adjust award amounts to make up for increases in tuition (says so in the letter).

Shoot, mine doesn't say that. It does encourage me to apply for loans, though, and talks up the RA possibilities.

belligerentfuture

Postby belligerentfuture » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:01 pm

did anyone get a call from the assistant admissions dean a couple of days after the email acceptance? i haven't gotten my physical letter yet, and I'm hoping that means maybe they gave me a full ride!?!? i didn't have the cojones to ask him straight out...talked about football instead :)

hoosier1508

Postby hoosier1508 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:45 pm

belligerentfuture wrote:did anyone get a call from the assistant admissions dean a couple of days after the email acceptance? i haven't gotten my physical letter yet, and I'm hoping that means maybe they gave me a full ride!?!? i didn't have the cojones to ask him straight out...talked about football instead :)

I got a call from someone in admissions a few days later asking if I had any questions.

If you look at LSN, you can probably gauge your chances of a full ride merit scholarship.

NorseHawk

Postby NorseHawk » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:45 am

Lawguru wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:
Lawguru wrote:

Speaking of that, when are we supposed to RSVP? I can't remember. I think I lost my card.

By the 27th. I just got the card today. Dunno if I'll go or not.

Lawguru

Postby Lawguru » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:45 am

By the 27th. I just got the card today. Dunno if I'll go or not.[/quote]

We could carpool :-)

Lawguru

Postby Lawguru » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:46 am

rainmaker614 wrote:In all honesty, every school that has offered me a scholarship and shows a budget, has increased their tuition. Now that I think of it I actually don't know of one school (out of the 40 I applied to) that for sure isn't changing tuition. Schools don't release their official student budget and tuition prices until the summer from what I've read. I think the award letter we'll get in the coming months is just a rough estimate. The cool thing about Iowa for those of you that get scholarships: they automatically adjust award amounts to make up for increases in tuition (says so in the letter).

You applied to 40 schools!?!? Holy Lord!

hoosier1508

Postby hoosier1508 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:51 am

Lawguru wrote:
rainmaker614 wrote:In all honesty, every school that has offered me a scholarship and shows a budget, has increased their tuition. Now that I think of it I actually don't know of one school (out of the 40 I applied to) that for sure isn't changing tuition. Schools don't release their official student budget and tuition prices until the summer from what I've read. I think the award letter we'll get in the coming months is just a rough estimate. The cool thing about Iowa for those of you that get scholarships: they automatically adjust award amounts to make up for increases in tuition (says so in the letter).

You applied to 40 schools!?!? Holy Lord!

Wow. I thought I applied to a lot, but 40 is a ton.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”