IN at University of Iowa

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Brick Tamland

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Postby Brick Tamland » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:46 pm

scott82 wrote:Iowa is currently constructing a massive new exercise facility to open in Summer 2010. You can read about it here:

http://www.recserv.uiowa.edu/geninfo/co ... campus.htm

And it will have a climbing wall! :)

The field house on campus has a climbing wall right now as well. It is in it's own room and is frickin sweet.

Richard B. Riddick

Postby Richard B. Riddick » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:52 pm

Dang, Iowa's looking pretty nice right now.

They've really stepped up their recruitment lately. Their informational stuff and the mailings they send out to applicants/interested students are horrible, but over the last couple weeks I've gotten emails from professors, call from students, and a letter from an Asst. Dean of Admissions mentioning what they liked about my application.

It's nice to feel wanted.

IStillPlayVideoGames

Postby IStillPlayVideoGames » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:53 pm

Hey guys, I'm a 1L at Iowa and I'm willing to answer a couple questions if you have them.

I can't promise how prompt I'll be, but I'll do my best. :)

Richard B. Riddick

Postby Richard B. Riddick » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:59 pm

IStillPlayVideoGames wrote:Hey guys, I'm a 1L at Iowa and I'm willing to answer a couple questions if you have them.

Ever had any interaction with people in the Writer's Workshop? Do they ever actually emerge? Do they even exist?

scott82

Postby scott82 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:09 pm

I can answer that one, as an English minor:

Yes. Yes, they do.

Hmmm... :?

IStillPlayVideoGames

Postby IStillPlayVideoGames » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:29 pm

I personally haven't had much interaction with that rare breed.

I know one guy, but I met him at a bar. :)

scott82

Postby scott82 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:44 pm

I took courses from some of the WW grads, and with some of its current students. They range from genuinely creative and talented artists to pedantic narcissists who feel the need to demonstrate their perceived superior intellect at every opportunity.

Lawguru

Postby Lawguru » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:50 pm

IStillPlayVideoGames wrote:Hey guys, I'm a 1L at Iowa and I'm willing to answer a couple questions if you have them.

3 Things you Love about Iowa law

3 Things you would change

rainmaker614

Postby rainmaker614 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:55 pm

IStillPlayVideoGames wrote:I personally haven't had much interaction with that rare breed.

I know one guy, but I met him at a bar. :)

Let's talk real law school stuff here, women and video games. Discuss each, please.
-Halo tournaments?
-Call of Duty Marathons?
-Are all the women really as ugly as everyone is saying or are we in for a pleasant surprise?

Please get back to us on this before the tuition deposit is due.

NorseHawk

Postby NorseHawk » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:07 pm

rainmaker614 wrote:
IStillPlayVideoGames wrote:-Are all the women really as ugly as everyone is saying or are we in for a pleasant surprise

I don't know about the Law School in particular but the University in general isn't bad in this regard at all.

Lawguru

Postby Lawguru » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:19 pm

NorseHawk wrote:
rainmaker614 wrote:
IStillPlayVideoGames wrote:-Are all the women really as ugly as everyone is saying or are we in for a pleasant surprise

I don't know about the Law School in particular but the University in general isn't bad in this regard at all.

You go to Luther, don't you?

NorseHawk

Postby NorseHawk » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:36 pm

Lawguru wrote:
NorseHawk wrote:
rainmaker614 wrote:

You go to Luther, don't you?

Yup

Lawguru

Postby Lawguru » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:45 pm

Ahah! Who is this? I go to Luther too. Or would you rather be anonymous.

NorseHawk

Postby NorseHawk » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:49 pm

Yeah, I would, sorry. The whole "hey, you're the guy I talked to on the internet!" thing is kinda weird and awkward. You'll might be able to figure it out anyway though, this place isn't exactly huge or have that many people headed for law school.

Lawguru

Postby Lawguru » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:13 pm

NorseHawk wrote:Yeah, I would, sorry. The whole "hey, you're the guy I talked to on the internet!" thing is kinda weird and awkward. You'll might be able to figure it out anyway though, this place isn't exactly huge or have that many people headed for law school.

Well, I'm sure you were in the same room as I was when we took the LSAT! Yeah, not the biggest place in the world. Either way, I'll see you at Iowa next year unless I decide on U of Mn or Wisconsin instead.

NorseHawk

Postby NorseHawk » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:25 pm

Didn't even apply to either place, so, yeah, you will.

IStillPlayVideoGames

Postby IStillPlayVideoGames » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:18 am

Well I found the law students to be surprisingly attractive, both the girls and the guys. It was definitely a nice surprise. Plus, the University is so huge that there really shouldn't be a problem meeting hot people.

I just got an 360 for Christmas and will be getting SFIV soon. When it gets here, I think that's replacing Bar Review. I know a couple of my friends play Halo a lot, but I'm a L4D kinda guy. Moral of the story? Plenty of video games.

Three things I love? Hmmmm...

1) Living in Iowa City is definitely great. It's cheap, clean and super-affordable. Also, my apartment rocks and is also dirt cheap. And sorta clean, but that's mostly my fault.
2) The opportunity to RA for your second two years and get in-state saves you over 20K a year. It's not only the tuition that gets reduced, your health insurance becomes part of the employee package so you only pay $20 a month instead of $150. Oh yeah, and it's a great experience. Heh.
3) Hmm, I think the third is a tie between my classmates and my professors. For the most part, everyone is surprisingly cool with gunning being more of a jokey-label than something you actually attach to people. And I've had some good luck with my Professors and found a couple that, aside from being great to learn from, are really accessible. I think it's the small town effect, where they all have their "open-door" policy but seem to actually mean it. I've definitely enjoyed my time here and the people are no small part of that.

Three things I'd change?

1) Career Services. I hear this from every school, and I'm not sure if it's not just to do with the recession, but I feel like that could work harder to keep us aware of opportunities to apply to internships and the like. And they're too cheery. That shit annoys me.

2) The administration seems impotent when it comes to dealing with things. They are all really nice and seem really eager to help but nothing ever gets done.

3) Iowa City doesn't know how to handle its winters. They can't afford salt so they SAND everything, which gets everywhere and is gross. I bitch about this about three times a day, so it's getting a place on the list.

There, is that a help? I know the Things I'd Change list is weak, but I guess I don't have too many gripes about the law school itself. The elective selection seemed a little anorexic, but that might have just been a 1L thing.

Am I helping at all?

Whitty

Postby Whitty » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:22 am

ISPVG do you have any pics you would be willing to share of the campus/community? I've never been to IC and Im curious, the website doesnt offer much in the way of pictures :(

New Madrid

Postby New Madrid » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:24 am

Thanks for the info, ISPVG!

For those of us who will likely be choosing Iowa and looking for housing...it seems best to avoid Apartments Downtown, right? Any leasing companies, landlords, or areas you'd recommend? I, for one, will need an affordable 3BR apartment or house for me, the wife, and two small kids. My first Iowa City visit will be on ASD, so we know nothing about the area.

scott82

Postby scott82 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:32 am

IStillPlayVideoGames wrote:
3) Iowa City doesn't know how to handle its winters. They can't afford salt so they SAND everything, which gets everywhere and is gross. I bitch about this about three times a day, so it's getting a place on the list.

+1000. And the city has some inexplicable attachment to shitty brick roads in numerous places (rustic appeal?), but they don't care enough to maintain them (except for the one in front of the university president's house). You could destroy a low profile vehicle on some of these roads.

It's a minor inconvenience most of the time, but it's kind of disgusting that they haven't yet given in to pavement.

This page has some photos from around the city.
http://www.city-data.com/album/album-Io ... -Iowa.html

rainmaker614

Postby rainmaker614 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:34 am

Sand instead of salt!!!???!!! Crystal are you hearing this? Us Michiganders are already tense because of how snow is dealt with here, and that includes the fact that they use salt here like it's going out of style! I'm protesting when I get there....

But really... how can they use sand instead of salt lol

New Madrid

Postby New Madrid » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:35 am

scott82 wrote:
IStillPlayVideoGames wrote:

+1000. And the city has some inexplicable attachment to shitty brick roads in numerous places (rustic appeal?), but they don't care enough to maintain them (except for the one in front of the university president's house). You could destroy a low profile vehicle on some of these roads.

It's a minor inconvenience most of the time, but it's kind of disgusting that they haven't yet given in to pavement.

I've checked out that site..the pics are strange. Some are terrific, but many look like the off-kilter pics you accidentally snap while putting the camera back in your pocket.

New Madrid

Postby New Madrid » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:37 am

rainmaker614 wrote:Sand instead of salt!!!???!!! Crystal are you hearing this? Us Michiganders are already tense because of how snow is dealt with here, and that includes the fact that they use salt here like it's going out of style! I'm protesting when I get there....

But really... how can they use sand instead of salt lol

It's a western thing. Same thing I experienced when I lived in Kansas. Here in Cleveland, if the trucks started putting down sand instead of salt there would be a popular revolt. We may not have a functioning economy, but we take pride in being able to get around in the snow.
Last edited by New Madrid on Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Whitty

Postby Whitty » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:37 am

scott82 wrote:

Thanks for the link, not too many pics of the general campus so those of you going to ASW should bring back pics to post mmmk? :D

rainmaker614

Postby rainmaker614 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:38 am

Whitty wrote:
scott82 wrote:

Thanks for the link, not too many pics of the general campus so those of you going to ASW should bring back pics to post mmmk? :D

Will do!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”