IN at University of Iowa Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Globetrekker

New

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Post by Globetrekker » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:47 am

I've been given some insight into possibilities of achieving in-state status after 1L, so I'll follow up on said advice and give Iowa a call here soon and see if I can get that confirmed.

If I could pay in-state for 2L and 3L at Iowa, things might get a lot more interesting decisions wise.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:39 pm

Globetrekker wrote:I've been given some insight into possibilities of achieving in-state status after 1L, so I'll follow up on said advice and give Iowa a call here soon and see if I can get that confirmed.

If I could pay in-state for 2L and 3L at Iowa, things might get a lot more interesting decisions wise.
Agreed. I have heard that if you work part-time (~10 hrs/wk) as a research assistant in your 2/3L years, you qualify for residency tuition. Have you heard of another way to get the in-state tuition where you are actually considered a resident?

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:53 pm

Wahoooo! In at Iowa!! Called today to update my address and was told I should be expecting my acceptance email either today or tomorrow, so they made some decisions today (for those that are wondering). Went complete on 12/8

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:57 pm

rainmaker614 wrote:Wahoooo! In at Iowa!! Called today to update my address and was told I should be expecting my acceptance email either today or tomorrow, so they made some decisions today (for those that are wondering). Went complete on 12/8
Congrats! I e-mailed admissions awhile ago and they said my file was complete Monday and to expect something in 2-3 weeks. I really hope it's good news!

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:02 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
rainmaker614 wrote:Wahoooo! In at Iowa!! Called today to update my address and was told I should be expecting my acceptance email either today or tomorrow, so they made some decisions today (for those that are wondering). Went complete on 12/8
Congrats! I e-mailed admissions awhile ago and they said my file was complete Monday and to expect something in 2-3 weeks. I really hope it's good news!
Good luck! I know you're in the same position as me trying to get into the best midwest schools, so hopefully it all works out! I also spoke to Wisconsin today who also made a decision, but didn't get any info out of them as to which way that went (but they were sent out today).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:12 pm

Not that I need a third thread to share my excitement but... oh well! In today via e-mail!! E-mail was from the dean and actually said I would get my official letter in the mail. She just wanted to tell me... personally :wink: . My added cheesyness aside, I'm fucking pumped.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:15 pm

congrats crystal

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:17 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:Not that I need a third thread to share my excitement but... oh well! In today via e-mail!! E-mail was from the dean and actually said I would get my official letter in the mail. She just wanted to tell me... personally :wink: . My added cheesyness aside, I'm fucking pumped.
Awesome! We have some hard decisions coming up... Right now the choice between OSU and Iowa, or maybe Wisconsin, is killing me.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:24 pm

rainmaker614 wrote:Awesome! We have some hard decisions coming up... Right now the choice between OSU and Iowa, or maybe Wisconsin, is killing me.
Yeah, those are all great schools. Especially given your/our proximity to all of them. For me, it'll likely come down to money. I don't want it too, but it kind of has to.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:42 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
rainmaker614 wrote:Awesome! We have some hard decisions coming up... Right now the choice between OSU and Iowa, or maybe Wisconsin, is killing me.
Yeah, those are all great schools. Especially given your/our proximity to all of them. For me, it'll likely come down to money. I don't want it too, but it kind of has to.
Yeah same here with the money actually. I've heard mixed things about Iowa and getting in state after 1L. A lot of people have said that in-state residency is fairly easy to get (the research positions and all that are easy to get). But then someone on this board said that it was pretty hard, so I'm not sure. I'm hoping they'll both be generous with schollys for out of state people like Cincinnati is...

Another huge concern is which has the best career prospects.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:47 pm

rainmaker614 wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:
Yeah same here with the money actually. I've heard mixed things about Iowa and getting in state after 1L. A lot of people have said that in-state residency is fairly easy to get (the research positions and all that are easy to get). But then someone on this board said that it was pretty hard, so I'm not sure. I'm hoping they'll both be generous with schollys for out of state people like Cincinnati is...

Another huge concern is which has the best career prospects.
I didn't get anything from Cincy, which is why they aren't in my choices. Hmmm...

I've heard about the residency thing too. I was actually kind of banking on that, so hopefully it is true. That'll be something to ask when I go, for sure. I think they're all similar in career prospects, depending on which field you go into. I've heard great things about Wisco (especially for Chicago) Iowa (throughout mid-west) and OSU.

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:55 pm

When do you plan on going? I'll probably be flying out there sometimes soon (probably drive to OSU too).

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:23 pm

This is anecdotal evidence (you might well take it with a huge boulder of salt) but my pre-law adviser's son went to U of Iowa and placed near the top of his class. He had opportunities on both coasts and throughout the Midwest. It seems that a successful student can do many things with an Iowa J.D.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:32 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:This is anecdotal evidence (you might well take it with a huge boulder of salt) but my pre-law adviser's son went to U of Iowa and placed near the top of his class. He had opportunities on both coasts and throughout the Midwest. It seems that a successful student can do many things with an Iowa J.D.
Thanks for the info! However, he was at the top of his class at a top 30 school and few would doubt he would have AMAZING prospects (top of your class at a tier 2 will give you great prospects as well). I'm thinking more along the lines of graduating at or slightly above the median (I don't like to be to optimistic when it comes to career prospects). What would that ranking offer you...

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:21 pm

rainmaker614 wrote:When do you plan on going? I'll probably be flying out there sometimes soon (probably drive to OSU too).
I'll wait to see when their ASD is. I'll probably drive though. After 32 hours on a bus from Colorado, 7 to Iowa isn't a big deal, haha.

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:51 pm

In via snail mail

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:15 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
rainmaker614 wrote:When do you plan on going? I'll probably be flying out there sometimes soon (probably drive to OSU too).
I'll wait to see when their ASD is. I'll probably drive though. After 32 hours on a bus from Colorado, 7 to Iowa isn't a big deal, haha.
RSVPed for the ASD, March 5th - 6th. They have a reception and then the full day thing the 6th, for those who haven't checked yet.
gogators wrote:In via snail mail
'Grats, gator!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:20 pm

Accepted via a personal email from the dean :mrgreen:

The odds that she personally emails almost every admitted student?

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:22 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:Accepted via a personal email from the dean :mrgreen:

I got one, too...

scott82

Bronze

Post by scott82 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:40 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:Accepted via a personal email from the dean :mrgreen:

Pretty high actually. I don't know of anyone who didn't get one.

Congrats though.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:44 pm

Iowa writes about their students:
Your fellow students will be another source of learning, and Iowa has an ambitious, intelligent and humane student body.
...at least they don't torture kittens.

Nevertheless, I'm feeling charged about the idea of spending 3-ish years in Iowa.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

IpunchedCharlieRose

New

Post by IpunchedCharlieRose » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:49 pm

I received the acceptance email today too. On their site they have the agenda up for an ASD on 3/6. I'll probably visit then.

kollegekid

New

Post by kollegekid » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:14 pm

Did your status checker change for those accepted?

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:15 pm

kollegekid wrote:Did your status checker change for those accepted?
No

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:16 pm

kollegekid wrote:Did your status checker change for those accepted?
There was a status checker?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”