IN at University of Iowa Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
New Madrid

New

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Post by New Madrid » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:39 am

rainmaker614 wrote:
Whitty wrote:
scott82 wrote:
This page has some photos from around the city.
http://www.city-data.com/album/album-Io ... -Iowa.html
Thanks for the link, not too many pics of the general campus so those of you going to ASW should bring back pics to post mmmk? :D
Will do!
Please do, because I suck at the photography thing.

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:41 am

New Madrid wrote:
rainmaker614 wrote:
Whitty wrote:
scott82 wrote:
This page has some photos from around the city.
http://www.city-data.com/album/album-Io ... -Iowa.html
Thanks for the link, not too many pics of the general campus so those of you going to ASW should bring back pics to post mmmk? :D
Will do!
Please do, because I suck at the photography thing.
I worked on the Canon account for 4 years at my marketing firm. If I can't take a decent photo, they won't be too happy. :shock:

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:42 am

rainmaker614 wrote:Sand instead of salt!!!???!!! Crystal are you hearing this? Us Michiganders are already tense because of how snow is dealt with here, and that includes the fact that they use salt here like it's going out of style! I'm protesting when I get there....

But really... how can they use sand instead of salt lol
Some places here in MI use sand, too. A coworker of mine went to Lake Superior State and they had so much snow that they ran out of salt and had to switch to sand. Yuck.
Whitty wrote: Thanks for the link, not too many pics of the general campus so those of you going to ASW should bring back pics to post mmmk? :D
I'll be taking lots of pics, too. I have to coonvince my mom that MSU's scholly is worth passing up for Iowa. What better way than with photographic evidence! No worries. :mrgreen:

scott82

Bronze

Post by scott82 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:42 am

New Madrid wrote:Thanks for the info, ISPVG!

For those of us who will likely be choosing Iowa and looking for housing...it seems best to avoid Apartments Downtown, right? Any leasing companies, landlords, or areas you'd recommend? I, for one, will need an affordable 3BR apartment or house for me, the wife, and two small kids. My first Iowa City visit will be on ASD, so we know nothing about the area.
I have a decent 3 BR apartment for $900/mo from Heritage Property Management; they have an on-site manager at this one (Van Buren Village) who is awesome, and will handle any problem you have at any time of day or night. This is in campus town area though, which might not be great for kids/family. Stupid drunk college kids abound.

Houser Rentals has some nice properties in Coralville, slightly more expensive, usually between 1000-1500/mo. Still close enough to the law school to make it a worthwhile choice (~2 miles), and probably more conducive to family life.

Avoid Lakeside/Dolphin Lake Point Enclave; mostly Section 8 renters, lots of crime (or at least more than average). Same goes for Broadway/Arthur St area. There are probably decent rental houses south of Highway 1, but I'd be choosy and check out the neighbors if you rent down there.

HTH.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:44 am

Any idea what might be a good price for a 1 bedroom? I'm looking to live alone, close to campus (but 2 miles would still be fine - I'll be biking to campus), safety is big, as is quiet. Any suggestions?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IStillPlayVideoGames

New

Post by IStillPlayVideoGames » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:45 am

Whitty, I'm afraid I don't have any pics of IC on my computer. I'm not really the touristy type. :)

And they use sand cause salt is cheaper and they don't have sophisticated sewer systems to worry about junking up with sand. I understand why, intellectually, but I still think it's pants-on-head retarded.

As for apartments, I've heard horrible things of the two places mentioned above and I recommend http://www.barkerapartments.com/.

Oh, I forgot to mention something really cool. They often have senior members of faculty teach 1L courses so it gives you a chance to get to know, and form a relationship with, upper-level professors pretty early on.

New Madrid

New

Post by New Madrid » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:45 am

scott82 wrote:
New Madrid wrote:Thanks for the info, ISPVG!

For those of us who will likely be choosing Iowa and looking for housing...it seems best to avoid Apartments Downtown, right? Any leasing companies, landlords, or areas you'd recommend? I, for one, will need an affordable 3BR apartment or house for me, the wife, and two small kids. My first Iowa City visit will be on ASD, so we know nothing about the area.
I have a decent 3 BR apartment for $900/mo from Heritage Property Management; they have an on-site manager at this one (Van Buren Village) who is awesome, and will handle any problem you have at any time of day or night. This is in campus town area though, which might not be great for kids/family. Stupid drunk college kids abound.

Houser Rentals has some nice properties in Coralville, slightly more expensive, usually between 1000-1500/mo. Still close enough to the law school to make it a worthwhile choice (~2 miles), and probably more conducive to family life.

Avoid Lakeside/Dolphin Lake Point Enclave; mostly Section 8 renters, lots of crime (or at least more than average). Same goes for Broadway/Arthur St area. There are probably decent rental houses south of Highway 1, but I'd be choosy and check out the neighbors if you rent down there.

HTH.
Thanks for the info, Scott!

New Madrid

New

Post by New Madrid » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:47 am

IStillPlayVideoGames wrote:Whitty, I'm afraid I don't have any pics of IC on my computer. I'm not really the touristy type. :)

And they use sand cause salt is cheaper and they don't have sophisticated sewer systems to worry about junking up with sand. I understand why, intellectually, but I still think it's pants-on-head retarded.

As for apartments, I've heard horrible things of the two places mentioned above and I recommend http://www.barkerapartments.com/.

Oh, I forgot to mention something really cool. They often have senior members of faculty teach 1L courses so it gives you a chance to get to know, and form a relationship with, upper-level professors pretty early on.
And thanks to you, ISPVG.

IStillPlayVideoGames

New

Post by IStillPlayVideoGames » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:48 am

Any idea what might be a good price for a 1 bedroom? I'm looking to live alone, close to campus (but 2 miles would still be fine - I'll be biking to campus), safety is big, as is quiet. Any suggestions?
I'm in a 1Br that's huge, with a dishwasher, a parking space, A/C and Heat included, and a fifteen minute walk from the law building. I'll be paying $600 next year.

Check out that link above.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:49 am

IStillPlayVideoGames wrote:
I'm in a 1Br that's huge, with a dishwasher, a parking space, A/C and Heat included, and a fifteen minute walk from the law building. I'll be paying $600 next year.

Check out that link above.
....wow. Will do!

Edit: There are some nice looking places on that site. And prices that make me :mrgreen: a little.

New Madrid

New

Post by New Madrid » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:54 am

Having to wait until who-knows-when to apply for an apartment is driving me crazy. I've spent most of my adult life in college towns and have come to expect that the good places fill up early. My first year of grad school I had to live in a craphole because I started looking so late. While I'm not going to pay a security deposit in IC before all of my offers are in, I really hope they come in soon. I also hope there are still decent places to be had in IC come April....

New Madrid

New

Post by New Madrid » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:00 am

Boy, posting here is so much nicer than getting mixed up in the flame-o-the-day pissing contests elsewhere on the forum. Good for my blood pressure.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:01 am

New Madrid wrote:Boy, posting here is so much nicer than getting mixed up in the flame-o-the-day pissing contests elsewhere on the forum. Good for my blood pressure.
It's just about the only reason I stay on here anymore. :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

IStillPlayVideoGames

New

Post by IStillPlayVideoGames » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:02 am

Heh, I know what you mean Madrid.

And don't worry, I didn't commit to Iowa until last May and I was able to get my apartment. Although at that point supplies were getting limited, you shouldn't have a problem getting a really nice place until June/July.

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:29 am

Theoretical situation: I go to Iowa City on ASD and find a nice apartment. When do I have to sign the lease? Do they require to be there when you do so? If time goes by and I get off one of my waitlists (Chicago or maybe Cornell), would I be screwed considering I signed a lease contract? The only apartment i've ever lived in only required a 6 month lease so I never had to get out of it and they allowed me to sign the lease electronically, so I don't have too much experience with this.

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:12 am

Taking this back to topic, I was accepted yesterday. Applied in early Dec.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:19 pm

mbw wrote:Taking this back to topic, I was accepted yesterday. Applied in early Dec.
Congrats!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:39 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
mbw wrote:Taking this back to topic, I was accepted yesterday. Applied in early Dec.
Congrats!
+1

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:30 pm

Thanks.

hoosier1508

New

Post by hoosier1508 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:21 pm

Going back off topic...

Visiting on the weekend... Do you need an ID or badge to get into the law school? Or is it open and people can just walk around?

I can't visit during the week, and I'm debating whether a weekend visit would even be worth it if I can't walk around the law school.

IStillPlayVideoGames

New

Post by IStillPlayVideoGames » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:32 pm

Nothing needed for the law building or the law library.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:17 am

IStillPlayVideoGames wrote:Nothing needed for the law building or the law library.
Haha, yeah it is funny how relaxed they are. I got horribly lost in their library. It is ridiculous.

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:18 am

Okay, also.

I have never gotten an apartment before. How the hell do I go about my search?

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:08 am

Lawguru wrote:
IStillPlayVideoGames wrote:Nothing needed for the law building or the law library.
Haha, yeah it is funny how relaxed they are. I got horribly lost in their library. It is ridiculous.
Bump on the apartment thing but more on this library, please. I know Iowa is supposed to have a great library but I can't find too many pics on it and really wanted to get a feel for what it was like (I'm big on libraries). Any comments you could share?

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:11 am

rainmaker614 wrote:
Lawguru wrote:
Bump on the apartment thing but more on this library, please. I know Iowa is supposed to have a great library but I can't find too many pics on it and really wanted to get a feel for what it was like (I'm big on libraries). Any comments you could share?
It is just a lot of volumes of stuff. Their rare book room is totally badass. TOTALLY. It is the 2nd most complete collection of works next to yale, and it shows.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”