IN at University of Iowa Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rainmaker614

Bronze

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Post by rainmaker614 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:38 pm

stuffnuff wrote:For those of us unable to attend the ASD, will any kind soul that is going please share any pictures/info with the rest of us? Thanks in advance!
Will do. I am in my room at the hotel now and this is my first time here. The place has a nice college town feel, similar to the college towns back in Michigan. I'll post the pictures after the weekend.

Also, what is this cocktail party? I don't remember getting anything about that?

scott82

Bronze

Post by scott82 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:47 am

So... thoughts?

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:41 am

The ASD made me very excited to be a hawkeye, that is for sure. I really don't think they were "playing up" the unique atmosphere of the law school. It is just there. I think our mock class was pretty bad ass too.

Also...those memory sticks they gave us...ONE GIG! Good to know where my $250 deposit is going.

hoosier1508

New

Post by hoosier1508 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:09 pm

Lawguru wrote:The ASD made me very excited to be a hawkeye, that is for sure. I really don't think they were "playing up" the unique atmosphere of the law school. It is just there. I think our mock class was pretty bad ass too.

Also...those memory sticks they gave us...ONE GIG! Good to know where my $250 deposit is going.
You are impressed by a 1 GB flash drive that sells for $5? Just commit to Iowa and be done with it.

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:17 pm

Pictures people. Stat!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:44 pm

hoosier1508 wrote:
Lawguru wrote:The ASD made me very excited to be a hawkeye, that is for sure. I really don't think they were "playing up" the unique atmosphere of the law school. It is just there. I think our mock class was pretty bad ass too.

You are impressed by a 1 GB flash drive that sells for $5? Just commit to Iowa and be done with it.
QUICK! Must think of a douche bag response back! Nice quip there Hoosier. You're probs too smart for Iowa anyway, I wouldn't go if I were you.

Read my comment over, and then tell me to "Commit" to Iowa. Did you see where I said I'll be sending in my 250 dollar deposit? You think I'm crazy enough to send one in to more than one school :shock: ? I think the only thing holding me back was the fact that I'd still be in Iowa, but everyone I met at ASD seemed great, and after spending some time in IC, I can confidently say I'll be happy there.

NorseHawk

New

Post by NorseHawk » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:13 pm

ASD was a good time and it was hard not to come away from it feeling really impressed with the school. I realize that's sorta the point of those things but, still, they did a great job. I was already set on Iowa, but I'm even more excited now, especially after getting a chance to talk to the current students.

BobDole34

New

Post by BobDole34 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:43 pm

how's job placement? chicago? OCI? how will this year's class look?

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:48 pm

BobDole34 wrote:how's job placement? chicago? OCI? how will this year's class look?
I don't remember stats, but I remember being pretty impressed with it all. I am also a huge fan of the TA/ RA positions. Insurance is subsidized and insurance goes down to almost nothing. Financially speaking, it is almost a better deal for me with that than it would be going to a lower ranked school with a full ride.

I think the RA thing is a good tool for Iowa to recruit people. It seemed to be all the talk among nonresidents.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sannerbr

New

Post by Sannerbr » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:54 pm

I have heard that Iowa is likely to drop in the ranks. What do you guys think?

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:18 pm

Sannerbr wrote:I have heard that Iowa is likely to drop in the ranks. What do you guys think?
who/where?

hoosier1508

New

Post by hoosier1508 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:28 pm

Sannerbr wrote:I have heard that Iowa is likely to drop in the ranks. What do you guys think?
Probably. State schools have been taking a hit in the rankings recently. Also, Iowa's GPA/LSAT #'s are below their peers, so it's quite possible that they will fall further. I would assume they would settle in the Mid 30's eventually. The only thing keeping them above that has been peer assessment scores, which are arbitrary and fluctuate sometimes significantly from year to year.

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:33 pm

hoosier1508 wrote:
Probably. State schools have been taking a hit in the rankings recently. Also, Iowa's GPA/LSAT #'s are below their peers, so it's quite possible that they will fall further. I would assume they would settle in the Mid 30's eventually. The only thing keeping them above that has been peer assessment scores, which are arbitrary and fluctuate sometimes significantly from year to year.
TITCR, but I think there is a good chance they could go anywhere from 25-30. Pless told me they'll consistently be ranked around there because they have a peer assessment better than many in their rankings, a fantastic educational ranking, and (I did not know this) a huge endowment. Just some thoughts. Wisco is moving up a little I think too. All in all, I think the rankings won't move much if at all.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BobDole34

New

Post by BobDole34 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:09 pm

Call my a cynic but I am skeptical of these RA positions. How competitive are they? I just feel like it's a recruiting tool and I won't get one. I wish they had some stats published on this.

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:39 pm

BobDole34 wrote:Call my a cynic but I am skeptical of these RA positions. How competitive are they? I just feel like it's a recruiting tool and I won't get one. I wish they had some stats published on this.
Well, you can TA too. Which is very available.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:16 pm

Overall, I think I feel even more excited about going to Iowa, as well. Even Downtown was really awesome (although very saturated with UGs). The 2/3L carrells, the library, and especially all the faculty (Dean Byrd was awesome) all are going to make saying "No, thanks" to MSU's scholly that much easier.

Also, it was great to meet so many TLSers there, too. Good to see you guys!

Sannerbr

New

Post by Sannerbr » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:20 pm

How hard is it to get resident status @ Iowa?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:21 pm

Sannerbr wrote:How hard is it to get resident status @ Iowa?
I think damn near impossible, but easier to get the RA/TA position. If you don't have a job, property, and/or earnings, then you won;t get it, even after 12 mos.

greentrees

New

Post by greentrees » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:50 pm

BobDole34 wrote:Call my a cynic but I am skeptical of these RA positions. How competitive are they? I just feel like it's a recruiting tool and I won't get one. I wish they had some stats published on this.
I am not aware of any current students who wanted to RA but were unable to obtain a position.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:01 pm

stuffnuff wrote:For those of us unable to attend the ASD, will any kind soul that is going please share any pictures/info with the rest of us? Thanks in advance!
Forgot my camera :x
I agree that I wish they had some stats, but it sounds like anyone who wants one will get one. Maybe not with your top choice professor, but somewhere you'll get in. I even met some in-staters who had one for the health care and experience.

Sannerbr

New

Post by Sannerbr » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:27 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
I think damn near impossible, but easier to get the RA/TA position. If you don't have a job, property, and/or earnings, then you won;t get it, even after 12 mos.
Does it make a difference if you have a spouse who is going to be working in the state?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:30 pm

Sannerbr wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:
Does it make a difference if you have a spouse who is going to be working in the state?
Good question. Check here for more information than I could ever provide.

Sannerbr

New

Post by Sannerbr » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:33 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
Sannerbr wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:
Good question. Check here for more information than I could ever provide.
Perfect, thanks.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:14 am

belligerentfuture

New

Post by belligerentfuture » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:47 am

hoosier1508 wrote:
belligerentfuture wrote:did anyone get a call from the assistant admissions dean a couple of days after the email acceptance? i haven't gotten my physical letter yet, and I'm hoping that means maybe they gave me a full ride!?!? i didn't have the cojones to ask him straight out...talked about football instead :)
I got a call from someone in admissions a few days later asking if I had any questions.

If you look at LSN, you can probably gauge your chances of a full ride merit scholarship.
FYI: Don't know if the phone call is a specific indication but in my case, I did end up with a full ride (via snail mail) a couple of weeks after said phone call. 167 and 3.31 UGPA (one bad semester, upward trend at an Ivy) and went to medical school, so those grades as well....

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”