University of Oregon Law

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
usuaggie

Re: University of Oregon Law

Postby usuaggie » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:54 am

hannibalhamlin61 wrote:I heard that the UofO was trying to mail out all notifications by April 1st. Does anyone know if they actually hit this target? (for those that were still pending). They don't seem to answer the phone this time of year...

I was under the impression they were aiming for the 15th of April, but I don't remember why. I emailed them last week and they used the term "next couple of weeks." Take it for what you will.

hannibalhamlin61

Postby hannibalhamlin61 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:10 pm

usuaggie wrote:
hannibalhamlin61 wrote:I heard that the UofO was trying to mail out all notifications by April 1st. Does anyone know if they actually hit this target? (for those that were still pending). They don't seem to answer the phone this time of year...

I was under the impression they were aiming for the 15th of April, but I don't remember why. I emailed them last week and they used the term "next couple of weeks." Take it for what you will.

Our admission committee has begun reviewing files and making decisions. It is our goal to have all decision letters mailed by April 1st.

This was the last email I got from them...I figured it was too optimistic.

Sias

Postby Sias » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:46 pm

If I send in the deposit to Oregon, but then get into a school I've been wait listed at later, can I still extricate myself from Oregon despite having reserved a seat? I know it isn't ideal and that I would lose my deposit, but I'm curious as to whether Oregon expects us to withdraw from schools that may have wait listed us.

davipatr

Postby davipatr » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:50 pm

KraftEZ wrote:
kswiss wrote:
DonnyMost wrote:I'm thinking about withdrawing all of my pendings and WLs and going for broke with UO.

The Northwest is where I wanted to end up, and although I applied to SU, USF, and L&C along the way, my heart is much more set on a larger state school in a more rural college town setting, rather than a smaller private one in a metroplex.

I doubt it would do much good (but then again, could it hurt?), but it's what I really feel like doing.

I'm in nearly the same boat. I want to hear from WUSTL first, but I'm pretty sure that I would prefer the experience at UO over L&C, even though L&C seems to have a slight advantage in Portland. I'm coming from a large state school which I really enjoyed, so I don't know how well I'd adapt to that small L&C campus. I do like Portland though...

I was in the same boat. I've been in Eugene all throughout high school and went to undergrad at the UofO for another 4 years. You could say I bleed green and yellow. I love the big college feel and the Ducks are my passion. I was accepted to UofO Law granting me another 3 years and I thought that I wanted nothing more than this. I was accepted to many other schools (such as USF, L&C, Seattle, Kent, Loyola...) but UofO felt right.

But I went and visited L&C during the ATD preview and afterwards for some personal one-on-one. Being a big-college town kid myself, I never thought I'd be sold but I am. L&C does everything better IMO. I've had plenty counseling and tours at the UofO law school and comparatively I thought that L&C was that much better.

It is a little better, and has Portland on lockdown for employment opportunities. You probably won't find another city like that so totally dominated by one school, but it is. I have a 160 and 3.4 but they straight up rejected me. I'm in at Oregon and will choose between there and Idaho (I know Oregon is a much better school, but I want to live in Boise, and Idaho dominates that legal community, though not L&C style)

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:00 pm

davipatr wrote:
KraftEZ wrote:
kswiss wrote:
DonnyMost wrote:I'm thinking about withdrawing all of my pendings and WLs and going for broke with UO.

The Northwest is where I wanted to end up, and although I applied to SU, USF, and L&C along the way, my heart is much more set on a larger state school in a more rural college town setting, rather than a smaller private one in a metroplex.

I doubt it would do much good (but then again, could it hurt?), but it's what I really feel like doing.

I'm in nearly the same boat. I want to hear from WUSTL first, but I'm pretty sure that I would prefer the experience at UO over L&C, even though L&C seems to have a slight advantage in Portland. I'm coming from a large state school which I really enjoyed, so I don't know how well I'd adapt to that small L&C campus. I do like Portland though...

I was in the same boat. I've been in Eugene all throughout high school and went to undergrad at the UofO for another 4 years. You could say I bleed green and yellow. I love the big college feel and the Ducks are my passion. I was accepted to UofO Law granting me another 3 years and I thought that I wanted nothing more than this. I was accepted to many other schools (such as USF, L&C, Seattle, Kent, Loyola...) but UofO felt right.

But I went and visited L&C during the ATD preview and afterwards for some personal one-on-one. Being a big-college town kid myself, I never thought I'd be sold but I am. L&C does everything better IMO. I've had plenty counseling and tours at the UofO law school and comparatively I thought that L&C was that much better.

It is a little better, and has Portland on lockdown for employment opportunities. You probably won't find another city like that so totally dominated by one school, but it is. I have a 160 and 3.4 but they straight up rejected me. I'm in at Oregon and will choose between there and Idaho (I know Oregon is a much better school, but I want to live in Boise, and Idaho dominates that legal community, though not L&C style)

idaho law is opening a boise campus, if you didn't know.

davipatr

Postby davipatr » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:38 pm

idaho law is opening a boise campus, if you didn't know.[/quote]
I do know. You can do your third year there as of right now. Huge selling point for me but frankly I am a little pissed off at them. I have a 3.4 and 160 both of which place me in their 75th percentile and they gave me 5k renewable compared to 4k renewable for Oregon. Idaho's median grant last year was $8,500 and they only had about 30 admits above my numbers and I am guessing they got about 5-10 of them. I was born in Idaho and graduated from an Idaho high school (these things matter to them apparently) if they don't up the offer they can stuff it.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:41 pm

davipatr wrote: if they don't up the offer they can stuff it.

hear hear

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:33 pm

University of Oregon Rick Roll's the NYC Subway:

--LinkRemoved--

Classic.

goingoingone

Postby goingoingone » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:56 pm

Hey guys, I just withdrew. Good luck. I hope one of you gets my scholarship.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:24 pm

DonnyMost wrote:University of Oregon Rick Roll's the NYC Subway:

--LinkRemoved--

Classic.

new yorkers cannot be amused.

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:06 pm

usuaggie wrote:
DonnyMost wrote:University of Oregon Rick Roll's the NYC Subway:

--LinkRemoved--

Classic.

new yorkers cannot be amused.

I think people being happy and enjoying life in general is not appreciated by New Yorkers.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:43 pm

Alright, I want everybody to rub your Buddha bellies and chant "scott is going to get his letter from oregon today" over and over and over to give me some luck. Ready. Steady. Rub.

kswiss

Postby kswiss » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:34 pm

usuaggie wrote:Alright, I want everybody to rub your Buddha bellies and chant "scott is going to get his letter from oregon today" over and over and over to give me some luck. Ready. Steady. Rub.

done. I hope you get an answer soon.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:52 pm

kswiss wrote:
usuaggie wrote:Alright, I want everybody to rub your Buddha bellies and chant "scott is going to get his letter from oregon today" over and over and over to give me some luck. Ready. Steady. Rub.

GOT MY LETTER!

ACCEPTED! no money, but I would guess a 70% chance I end up at Oregon now.

cLams

Postby cLams » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:07 pm

usuaggie wrote:
kswiss wrote:

GOT MY LETTER!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

SamSeaborn2016

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:08 pm

usuaggie wrote:
kswiss wrote:

GOT MY LETTER!

Holy crap! Magic! Congrats. :D

kswiss

Postby kswiss » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:29 pm

You can thank me later...

yo!

Postby yo! » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:35 pm

Congrats usuaggie! No one else is getting much money anyway...

hans3n

Postby hans3n » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:49 pm

cLams wrote:
usuaggie wrote:
kswiss wrote:

GOT MY LETTER!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I wish you had the ability to call things more often, like NCAA brackets.

primusux

Postby primusux » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:12 pm

Hi I was wondering if there are any 2L/3L Oregon Law students in here that might be able to show me and my SO around the campus this Sunday? I know admissions will not be open but it is one of the only times I'm going to be able to visit the area due to my schedule. I plan on walking around to get a sense of things anyway, but, if someone would be able to show me the actual facilities that would be great.

thx!

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:19 pm

Anybody know of a site where I can look at employment stats in each state by law school? Like how many students get a job in CA from Oregon.

hannibalhamlin61

Postby hannibalhamlin61 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:23 pm

usuaggie wrote:Anybody know of a site where I can look at employment stats in each state by law school? Like how many students get a job in CA from Oregon.

Haha You're already on to bigger & better things? You just got in - enjoy it for a few hours. When did you apply anyway?

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:50 pm

Big congrats to usu :)

hans3n

Postby hans3n » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:36 pm

usuaggie wrote:Anybody know of a site where I can look at employment stats in each state by law school? Like how many students get a job in CA from Oregon.

I used to go to this site that had how many lawyers altogether practice in California that went to UO law, but I don't remember the site, and not sure if that is what you would possibly be looking for. Here is Oregon's recent graduating class profile: http://www.law.uoregon.edu/career/employstats/index.php

Sunflower

Postby Sunflower » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:09 am

1. http://www.martindale.com 2. do advance search

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”